Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

View results

Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:Besides whether it is good or not, because so many were so hyped, I'm curious to know if it has lived up to your expectations. Is it as good as you hoped? Is different than you were expecting, or did you get what you thought you would?
It has actually exceeded my expectations even with my criticism of the difficulty spike. The story and characters are incredibly deep with a battle system you can really get into. The job system is probably where it shines the best with characters becoming hybrid classes.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'd say it's met my expectations. It was my most anticipated game of this year and it's living up to its hype and my predicted time it would eat out of my schedule. I just wanna keep playing it, I don't want it to end (and it wont for quite awhile, i've got so much more to do).
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It completely met my expectations, which is a good thing. They were fairly high to begin with, lol. I even expected the grinding, and since I find the combat system to be interesting and satisfying once you figure out how to break and in turn utterly decimate your enemies, I don't mind the grind TOO much. Honestly, I feel like they painted us a very good picture of what to expect with the 2nd demo, and they ACTUALLY delivered said picture!

I don't dislike H'aanit at all, just the wonky dialect. Why do they need to say comen or have everyone's first name spelled with an apostrophe after the first letter (Z'aanta, even the TOWN name is spelled S'warkii)? For me, I don't think the writing is bad per say, more of a poor choice in an attempt to create a distinct speech pattern for her community, and a strange choice in how they decided to stylize the way they spell names. I can totally understand how it would drive other people nuts, though. At the end of the day, they are minor annoyances in my 30 hours of playtime that don't necessarily detract from how awesome her character is overall. It's gotten to the point I hardly notice it anymore :)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I'm gonna try to reserve judgment, but I think I set my expectations too high. :lol: It's definitely not what I expected, but that's okay. I just needed to come in without expectations and I didn't, so I'm trying to reset myself. It's still a good game.

Pro-con list of mild spoilers:
Spoiler:
Pro:
-Visuals (obviously) are still stunning
-Whoever localized the flavor text for Alfyn's skill has a good sense of humor
-Bosses take an expectedly long time but figuring them out feels good

Cons:
-Non-flavor text writing (see page 3 post)
-Excessive level grinding
-Signs in the road that physically lock certain areas away
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I finished Tressa's story! :D

It was very cute and a great way to kick off the story. BTW, Game Explain said something like 'your first chosen traveler always has to be in your party' and that's a lie. Once you finish their story, you can remove them via a pub/bars.

I plan on finishing Alfyn's next and then Olberic's and then Ophelia's. Once that's done, I think i'll keep Olberic in my party but change his class to merchant(for that extra HP), and then pick up three of the four travelers i've been ignoring and start their journey with Olberic being their tank/protector, so we can grind in peace.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:It was very cute and a great way to kick off the story. BTW, Game Explain said something like 'your first chosen traveler always has to be in your party' and that's a lie. Once you finish their story, you can remove them via a pub/bars.
That was corrected on Twitter. :) To my understanding no one who reviewed the game actually finished it...
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:
Bluie wrote:It was very cute and a great way to kick off the story. BTW, Game Explain said something like 'your first chosen traveler always has to be in your party' and that's a lie. Once you finish their story, you can remove them via a pub/bars.
That was corrected on Twitter. :) To my understanding no one who reviewed the game actually finished it...
Considering it takes 50 hours minimum to beat it and up to 100 to do everything I'm not surprised.

I finished everyone's third chapter! I think I'm going to do my main party's fourth chapter and then do some serious level grinding for the other 4; H'aanit's third chapter made it clear she wouldn't have survived without Cyrus, Therion, and Ophilia being in the mid 40s.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/17/17582 ... calization

This made me laugh.

Also this was interesting. While I have no way of knowing how much academic merit the original poster (Lark) truly had in making the statement they did, it's still worth a read!
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, I've finished Cyrus, Therion, Olberic, and Ophilia so far. Cyrus is definitely my favorite out of the ones I've finished, but I suspect Primrose will be the one to beat him. My main party is almost in the 60 range; I think I'm going to do some side stuff and grind Alfyn, Tressa, H'aanit, and Primrose.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Alrighty, I've finished all the stories I said I would and i'm now collecting the remaining travelers. I think my favourite is a tie between Olberic and Alfyn, but i'm super attached to Olberic insomuch he's never going to leave my party. So, because I don't need two characters with essentially the same path action in my party, H'aanit is going to be the last story I finish (aka, she's being ignored for now).

I've picked up Therion and I already love his attitude. I made him a cleric half because it makes him well rounded, and half because his cleric sprite looks really nice. Getting Cyrus atm, thinking of making him into a knight (is it just me or is magic really impotent in this game? Scholar skills are great for breaking, but rarely do more than 3000 damage, which are rookie numbers, ROOKIE! Easier just to use soul stones!) but i'll have to see where his stats spread. Primrose, idk, maybe hunter? I do love arrow rain...

And once I finish everyone's story, i'll be
Spoiler:
Taking on the advanced class dungeons and then taking on the final story.

Not sure who my final-final party is gonna be, but Olberic and Tressa for sure because they have crazy damage output.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Omg...those poor people. :shock: HOW do you not know?! GG localization, GG.

At the very least it's only Ha'anit... :?
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Mikidesu, did you see that second link in my post? If they truly did try to give H'aanit a dumbed down version of Middle English, it at least gives me more appreciation for her dialect, as annoying as it may be. I was an English lit/creative writing major for my 1st bachelor's degree, and one of my classical lit courses spent a third of a semester studying the entire Canterbury Tales. I did take a look at what the person in the second link I posted was talking about in my personal copy of Chaucer's work, and their theory at least seems plausible to me. If that's truly what the localization was going for, then everyone should be even more thankful they didn't go full blown Middle English lol.

Finished all of my first 4 characters' final chapters last night (H'aanit, Cyrus, Ophilia, Therion). Has anyone found a good spot to grind, yet?

Bluie, I didn't break 3k damage on Cyrus until his elemental attack broke 500. Then most I got was about 6k on a broken boss. I liked to use Ophilia's ultimate skill on him though, since I really didn't have a lot of soul stones and at least with that method on a broken boss, Cyrus would pull 12k damage in a single turn. I never could get any of my physical fighters to strike for more than 2k in a single round. Going to try and did that with Olberic.

Thoughts on the stories so far below.
Spoiler:
Definitely liked Cyrus' the best in spite of all his espousing on how knowledge should be passed on, etc. I also personally found his chapters to be the hardest no thanks to all the magic and elementals, UGH. I felt like Cyrus' story gave you a deeper look into the overarching lore of the world compared to the other 3. Thinking on it though, they are definitely weaving tendrils into everyone's stories. Can't wait to finish the remaining four and go through the final area.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:Mikidesu, did you see that second link in my post? If they truly did try to give H'aanit a dumbed down version of Middle English, it at least gives me more appreciation for her dialect, as annoying as it may be. I was an English lit/creative writing major for my 1st bachelor's degree, and one of my classical lit courses spent a third of a semester studying the entire Canterbury Tales. I did take a look at what the person in the second link I posted was talking about in my personal copy of Chaucer's work, and their theory at least seems plausible to me. If that's truly what the localization was going for, then everyone should be even more thankful they didn't go full blown Middle English lol.
I actually did notice it and onced over it earlier just noticing the Chaucer discussion. (I read Canterbury Tales in high school, so I definitely didn't study it for nearly as long as you did.)

I looked at it again and I DO see your point. The place in the article about how Ha'anit's dialogue is supposed to be "Middle English toned down for modern audiences" is actually one of my issues with the writing. :lol: If you ask me...toning the language down ends up leaving it sounding like they threw Middle English words into a Modern English sentence. (Who knows though, maybe it wasn't possible for them to pass any localization QC's using full blown Middle English - considering it's already nearly impossible for some non-native English speakers to understand. :shock:)

Out of curiosity, do you think Ha'anit's dialogue reads like Canterbury Tales? It's been too long for me to really remember - though to my memory it reads similarly to how Beowulf did. Beowulf is a LOT older than Canterbury Tales but there's no real way to know exactly how old the translation I read of it was. Who knows, basically.

Ha'anit and village do make some sense in a Viking world too, but that would place her a few hundred years before Chaucer...Maybe there's a little of both. :)
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Even if they were truly trying for a toned down Middle English, it's SO toned down that it reads nothing like Chaucer to me lol. I DO think it makes us native English speakers think of Middle English, however, which might have been their goal. I completely empathize with you on her dialect - I just thought the posts were interesting :).
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:Even if they were truly trying for a toned down Middle English, it's SO toned down that it reads nothing like Chaucer to me lol. I DO think it makes us native English speakers think of Middle English, however, which might have been their goal. I completely empathize with you on her dialect - I just thought the posts were interesting :).
True, true.

I just got to another one of the shrines tonight and had a thought - I actually wish they had gone full blown Middle English for those bits, it would make them seem really ancient that way. :) I don't know how they COULD have...but maybe even quoting Chaucer. (Now THAT would have been a heck of an easter egg. :lol:)

It's definitely a first, translating a videogame with English lit in mind. :)