Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

13%
19%
6%
13%
13%
25%
No votes
13%

Total votes: 16

anakin57
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

how is otcopath so far??
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I love it, but you might not. So..download the free demo and try it out.
ChocolateKisses
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

just wanted to pop up here and say Octopath is my favorite game on the switch. I have 120 hours and i completed 100% of the game. Yes including the secret ending and the sidequests. <3 its a masterpiece!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

@anakin57: I would 100% echo Mothership on that. If you really spend time in the demo and try out numerous characters you'll know. Just be aware that you won't spend a bunch of time with any one character - for good or bad.

I like it, but I really wish I'd gotten a physical preorder on this one. Ah well, that's life. :lol:
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Just got this game and LOVE it. I enjoy the combat system a lot and I've been reading spoilers about the storylines (I like spoilers). I picked Alfyn as my main but am kind of regretting it - I like his story but I'm more interested in Ophilia and Primrose. Still in the early game - kind of surprised how hooked I am so far haha.

Edit: A little sad there's not much overlap in the stories - like the characters don't interact too much beyond a few chats. BUT it does mean I can write a ton of fanfic... so.... :lol:

Also, if anyone wants help choosing a character, this video made me laugh but also helped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticw4B1N6aU
ChocolateKisses
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

rachellion wrote:Just got this game and LOVE it. I enjoy the combat system a lot and I've been reading spoilers about the storylines (I like spoilers). I picked Alfyn as my main but am kind of regretting it - I like his story but I'm more interested in Ophilia and Primrose. Still in the early game - kind of surprised how hooked I am so far haha.

Edit: A little sad there's not much overlap in the stories - like the characters don't interact too much beyond a few chats. BUT it does mean I can write a ton of fanfic... so.... :lol:

Also, if anyone wants help choosing a character, this video made me laugh but also helped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticw4B1N6aU

The stories are supposed to not overlap though, as they are 8 different tales of 8 different characters. Ofc to make the game an RPG they had to add the party system but your party members are not supposed to influence each other's stories.

When i was playing this game, I always pretended the character was alone during the cut scenes while the party members went to do whatever they wanted. And it made the game much better as I was experiencing that character's tale alone, seeing how they dealt with the problems alone, and what path they chose. And the little Travel Banter was just an extra thing to see how the other characters reacted to the cut scenes, as if they were watching it all unfold along side me.

We are always used to characters interacting in JRPGs, thats why i think most people were a bit put off by this. But yeah, you have to appreciate the stories individually.

Also watch this video to understand what i mean LOL:
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Finished Alfyn Ch4. Gotta say, one of the more interesting credit sequences I've ever seen.
Spoiler:
The credits really reminded me how good the pixel art in this game is. I don't PREFER pixel art to polygons but...« Harvest Goddess » it can be so good. And this was good.

Alfyn's story bored me the whole way...I still like the character though!

Final boss was obnoxious...only because of that health depleting attack. Got the boss in one go - on what was definitely my last possible hit. The boss would have wiped the full party next turn.
Edit: Out of curiosity, how do you trigger travel banter with 3 characters? Only seen one (tonight) and I'm curious - plus it might be nice to know for somebody else.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:Edit: Out of curiosity, how do you trigger travel banter with 3 characters? Only seen one (tonight) and I'm curious - plus it might be nice to know for somebody else.
I think they need to be either in your party or present in the bar. There are some party banters with 4 characters; I've had one with Therion, Cyrus, Alfyn, and Olberic.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:
Mikodesu wrote:Edit: Out of curiosity, how do you trigger travel banter with 3 characters? Only seen one (tonight) and I'm curious - plus it might be nice to know for somebody else.
I think they need to be either in your party or present in the bar. There are some party banters with 4 characters; I've had one with Therion, Cyrus, Alfyn, and Olberic.
Oh yeeah, I didn't think about them standing around the bar! Good point. :) That's probably part of why they're there.

Edit: Just got that one. :lol: That's exactly why travel banter is one of the best parts of the game. <3

Edit 2: Completed! (Save for the true ending - I need a long break.)

Tldr: Really glad I ended the game with Tressa's story. It wasn't a good final boss (story wise) but I enjoyed the end to her story. It felt very...canon?

Overall I'd say good game with some glaring flaws.

Part of it is mechanically, though I think I could have looked past the mechanics if the stories were stronger. They started out strong but I could really see the writers struggle as the chapters went on. I really think that's too much to ask out of a writing team for a $60 game. There was a ton of flavor text on top of seven completely separate stories.

I'd like to see a sequel, but one that progresses the concept rather than just a copy/paste.
Spoiler:
My not-personal gripes in no particular order...Second story bullet point contains a spoiler.

Story
- Character development is relegated to travel banter that many players could miss.
- Plot holes (there were a number but for example:) Olbreic Ch 4. Why wouldn't resistance fighters carry shields with their swords? It's absurd for an entire party to be wiped out because they didn't bring shields.

Mechanical
- The run button frequently bugs out after another action like opening a chest, forcing me to press the button twice after another action.
- Items and spells sporadically target allies that don't need them. Only healing is consistent.
- Blocking story areas of the world map off with signs that cause your character to turn back breaks immersion and forgoes player freedom.
- Invisible paths behind invisible holes in invisible walls are not puzzle mechanics. Nobody enjoyed going through the Rock Tunnel in the dark - why would they enjoy this now?
- Balancing issues. There are some very clear difficulty spikes that would have to be worked out.
- Grinding. There's an absolute overflowing overabundance of money in the game, why couldn't that be used for something? "Level Nuts" instead of "Stat Nuts". And why don't quests give experience?
- Locking a character into your party - this is unnecessary, the story isn't interconnected in ANY way that requires it.

Ironically, as much as I disliked their stories I genuinely love these characters. Even the vanilla beans Ophilia and Cyrus had some clever travel banter that endeared them to me. The care put into crafting them shows that their stories could have been better!

On the positive side, the world itself is undeniably beautiful and cleverly manufactured. Sprite work had me sitting in boss battles looking at their animations. Most of the bosses themselves could be cheesed fairly easily but they were varied and overall pretty fun and consistently challenging.

Overall I enjoyed my time with the game. I see more flaws in it than I do in my favorite games but I have no issues criticizing those either. Criticism, not complaints, are the only way we can improve. This game could have been better - and I'd like to believe a sequel will be.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Quiet in here again. Anyone else besides me still playing this? I'm still puttering along having a ton of fun :) Finished the chapter threes for my main four, finally. Also beat the
Spoiler:
Shrine of the Archmagnus
on my first try :) It was scary, tho O.o That dude is strong and mean :( By the time I finally finished him off my heart was pounding....it was intense! But..I did it and I am quite proud of myself :)
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Mothership, that's awesome! I also had a huge sense of accomplishment after my first advanced shrine. I'm glad you're really enjoying the game. In spite of its flaws, I too really loved my time spent with Octopath. Do keep us posted on your progress if you want - people definitely still look in this thread! And of course any questions you may have, don't hesitate to reach out, as lots of us have finished the game :)
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game - just now starting everyone's Chapter 2s. What secondary jobs did you guys give your characters? What's your favorite party?

Current favorite: Alfyn (main), Primrose, H'aanit, Therion
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I have H'aanit (main) as a Warrior
Alfyn as a Cleric
Tressa as a Thief
Primrose was a Scholar but now she's a
Spoiler:
Sorcerer
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

When I played, my favorite party without any advanced jobs consisted of Olberic/Hunter, Therion/Warrior, Ophelia/Cleric and Cyrus/either Apothecary or Merchant
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I actually played most of my game with the same party :lol: (Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, H'aanit). It's kind of interesting how popular that group is together!

For bosses I typically subbed somebody for Ophilia though. No advanced jobs needed, I ended up changing my party's jobs depending on the boss, but in almost every case it was Alfyn (Scholar) Therion (Warrior) and Ophilia (Thief).

It worked out pretty well with just the three of them.