Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 24, 2020 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Who is your main character?
Alfyn
Therion
Ha'anit
Ophilia
Cyrus
Tressa
Olberic
Primrose
You may select 1 option

View results
ryume
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 8:44 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I thought the deceased encounter support skill didn't stack?

Mikodesu, I'm curious what your dislikes about the localization are, if you don't mind sharing :)

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I don't mind at all! I just didn't want to ramble about it if nobody wanted to hear. :)

For me ultimately it comes down to a lack of consistency. The writing is SO varied that the world doesn't feel believable to me. To see THAT drastic of a shift in dialogue from one town to the next doesn't make a lot of sense. (And since it's only in the localization there's no opportunity to write in a reason for it.) I may rewatch the prologue scenes from Ha'anit's village on YT, those were the worst so far. There were sections of the dialogue that felt like they were translated into modern English and then had all of its Old English 'thou' 'thee' thrown in. Their dialogue would make more sense if they were actually isolated from the rest of the world...but they really don't seem to be.

And to that end there's no real noticeable difference in the way the different classes talk either. If you ask me that SHOULD be more important since that has story implications.

The least of it is when they try to meld proper English with a whole bunch of contractions (it's, I'm, and the like) - it just doesn't read right.

And to my ear the Japanese text sounds very casual. I'd really rather the super casual writing if they don't reeally put the work in. In that case I just use my imagination.

ryume
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 9:50 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Interesting. So you don't find the different dialects to be believable? If you ever played Chrono Cross, did that also bug you in that game?

I know you said you aren't fluent in Japanese, but I'm guessing you speak enough of it to know the original tone is casual. I honestly never noticed any of this lol. I do dislike H'aanit and her entire village's dialect to an extreme (it's like a half-assed take on old Anglo-Saxon), but I guess because of a handful of games in the past that I've played with wildly varying dialects from one region to the next, I didn't think much of it here.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 10:34 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Played Chrono Trigger a looong time ago, never played Chrono Cross. I could look up some clips to get an idea though.

It comes down to the combination of badly written faux dialects like "Old English" and no real thought being put into WHY the characters are talking the way they are.

TLDR:
-Most of the dialogue reads like it was already written and then altered to "fit in a fantasy setting"
-Dialogue isn't consistent across towns or regions
-There's no distinction in speaking ability between classes

I'd be MUCH happier if they'd put in no extra effort on dialogue and just focused on what they can do well rather than this half-assed world building.

"Old English" isn't a dialect. It's essentially another language. So the idea that a village in the middle of the map that isn't closed off and frequently watches its townsfolk leave on work that has them interacting with others is speaking another version of the world's language makes zero sense.

For that matter in most cases generic NPCs don't even use this mysterious other dialogue that their town's important characters use. Alfyn is the only one in his village who speaks "southern" and Ha'anit and her master are the only ones who speak their weird dialect despite being FROM the village.

To be fair I'm only 10 hours in, but based on what little I know about game design I'm going to guess nothing is changing any time soon. And I actually really like the inclusion of little dialogue like (I think it was) "Praise the Flame"? Some sort of "Thank « Harvest Goddess »" type colloquialism.

But hey. Except for Ha'annit I'll acclimate (shame too - I love her character, she reminds me of Hild from Vinland Saga). Either way the rest of the game is good enough to make up for it. :lol: I'm still mesmerized by the visuals. It feels like Paper Mario...but pixels...and I just love it.

Last edited by Mikodesu on Jul 16, 2018 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 10:45 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

ryume wrote:
I thought the deceased encounter support skill didn't stack?

It's decreased encounter with heighted chances of fleeing an encounter. I'm not stacking the same type of skills. Having them both on makes exploration easy if you're just trying to get from point a-b, especially if you want the towns unlocked for fast travel.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 4:13 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Alfyn Chapter 3 spoilers
Spoiler:
Holy « Puppy Doodoo »! The difficulty spike is real! Granted, Alfyn isn't in my main party, so he's underleveled, but the boss just hits everyone like a truck! He can attack twice, have an attack that attacks twice, and sends spears into the sky to attack the party at the start of the next turn! Knowing his weaknesses doesn't help when I need to heal every turn. I either need new equipment, level grind, or both.

ryume
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Bluie wrote:
It's decreased encounter with heighted chances of fleeing an encounter. I'm not stacking the same type of skills. Having them both on makes exploration easy if you're just trying to get from point a-b, especially if you want the towns unlocked for fast travel.

It dawned on me long after I posted that you had mentioned scholar AND cleric skills in your original post, meaning decreased encounters + easier to flee, my bad :oops:

Ronin:

Spoiler:
Totally feel you on the difficulty spikes in this game! Maybe this really isn't a spoiler, but I completed my current main 4 characters' chapter 2's last night. In comparison, I thought the difficulty spike for Cyrus' 2nd chapter was like a 90 degree angle! The trash mobs in the sewer area I felt were 10x harder than the boss ended up being. Even after I was level 27, it was still easy for my party to wipe out depending on the combination of monsters I got and whether I could break them fast enough or not. If the elementals all attacked in a row and used their one wind attack that let them hit twice in one turn, it was all over since per hit it caused 500+ damage. The good thing about doing his first was that I ended up being way overleveled for the remaining 3 lol.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2018 11:57 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Don't get me started on the elementals; I HATE elementals with their overpowered magic. I did manage to get through Alfyn's third chapter. I'm going to do Olberic and Therion tomorrow. Pretty sure I can do both, but the difficulty spike in between chapters is nuts!

ryume
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 1:14 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Good luck with Therion's 3rd chapter. The boss was an absolute BEAR, at least for me anyway. And I actually paused Cyrus' 3rd chapter because it was way too hard/I got sick of grinding about a couple hours before deciding I should be able to handle Therion's. That boss fight for Therion made me question if I was ever any good at JRPG's ever lol (but I squeaked by somehow).

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 3:41 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Oof, all the chapter 4 recommended levels are 45. I'm gonna have to find a good grinding spot. I wonder if anyone has figured out the best area for the cat enemies that gives lots of exp. I've heard the easiest way to kill them is soulstones, and I have a lot of those.

Also, idk why Ophelia's chapter 3 was recommended level 38. I found it the easiest out of my current party.

Kemine
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Would you guys still recommend it? I've read through the thread, and I agree about Ha'anit's dialect, she was the second character I went to in my demo and I wasn't a fan of her dialogue, it felt like they're trying too hard to really emphasize different regions.

Even still, both my partner and myself enjoyed it, and loved the changes they'd made from the first demo (skip button yes please thank you so much!) so it's already hitting very high on our radar, I suppose we're just anxious where it's a new IP and stuff. (And I guess monster hunter is releasing something here in July that my partner's interested in, so he's torn).

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 10:21 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Honestly for me personally the dialogue only makes it difficult to enjoy Ha'anit's story. And that's just me (I'm a writer, bad/lazy writing is GOING to bug me). The rest of the game is still fun. There's a lot to do, the world is fun to traverse and I appreciate having some more obtuse side quests.

My only other gripe is the grinding. There's a lot of it. If that doesn't bug you then you've got a winner on your hands. :)

Bluie
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

From someone who hasn't even seen anything in regards to Ha'anit besides stepping into her town for fast travel, I have no issue with the game besides the needed grinding, and even then I don't really mind all that much.

From what i've experienced so far, Olberic's story is very good, Tressa's is good, Alfyn's gets better every chapter, and Ophelia's is just OK. Don't have an opinion on the rest yet as i'm ignoring them for now.

But the game sounds and plays great. Over 10+ bosses defeated and the boss battle theme still gets me super hyped every time it starts up. Overpowering enemies feels great and figuring out weaknesses has some good strategy to it.

I would love SE forever if they remade FFV/VI with this engine.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 12:50 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

This is a really good game; within the first hour or so after I got it on Friday I knew it would beat Ni No Kuni 2 for my game of the year. The characters and stories grip you into them and the gameplay is easy to get into and figure out. I don't have a problem with Ha'anit's dialogue; I just find her entire storyline to be the most boring imo. Primrose is still my favorite although Alfyn is getting there; his story is REALLY good.

It might be hard to get a physical copy of the game; Nintendo and SE underestimated how well the game would do and places are sold out of the game.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Besides whether it is good or not, because so many were so hyped, I'm curious to know if it has lived up to your expectations. Is it as good as you hoped? Is different than you were expecting, or did you get what you thought you would?

I'm glad it's doing well and receiving mostly praise, anyway. It's a shame most people are saying they like Ha'anit least...she's got the most gorgeous character design of all, imo. Well, not that really affects me, though...I can enjoy looking at her without knowing anything about her bad accent/dialect or whatever it is that isn't well liked. :) She's so gorgeous, I'd kind of like a poster of her. I may print out that desktop.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next