Octopath Traveler Discussion Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Who is your main character?

You may select 1 option

13%
19%
6%
13%
13%
25%
No votes
13%

Total votes: 16

ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yay, I'm happy you chose to purchase the game, Mothership! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the gang.

@Bluie
Spoiler:
I am with you on Ophilia and feeling burnt out. I mentioned it before, but attempting to grind literally forces me into nap mode with that game. I'm honestly tempted to just look up spoilers (if some kind soul had posted actual screenshots), lol.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Game finally finished downloading, so now I need to decide to: 1) continue from my current demo save that I started with H'aaint and saved right before fighting Alfyn's chapter 1 boss OR 2) Start a new file using someone I've used in the demo (Olberic, Cyrus or Ophilia) OR 3) Start a new file using someone I haven't used before (Tressa, Primrose or Therion) AHH! Decisions...hard...*ponders*

EDIT After several hours of having to be a responsible adult, I can finally play! Decided on #2...Olberic just seems to be the best choice as "team leader" for me.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Congratulations to Octopath Traveler for selling 1 million copies!
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Woo, hoo! *throws confetti* One million copies sold is awesome!

I'm still taking it slow and having fun :) I have Olberic's, Tressa's and Primrose's chapter ones complete and am currently in Therion's town but I haven't started his story yet. Still don't really know what I'm doing when I play this but I'm enjoying it anyway :) Still plan on getting all 8 characters and completing their first chapters before moving on to the more difficult areas.
I've apparently encountered Caits several times. i didn't know what they were until I found a description of them on GameFAQS. I haven't managed to even hit one once since they go "poof" so quickly. BAD kitties! I want to kill you for your lovely exp!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Caits and Fancy Caits can be killed with soulstones in one hit which gives you fat stacks of exp. Fat Caits on the other hand, take one L Soulstone + a reg/med. I trained most of my party in the the cave south of Primrose's starting area because Fancy Caits can show up in groups of 4 if you're lucky enough.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

So that's what Soul Stones are used for. I was wondering about that. So..I just throw them at enemies?

I'm currently near the end of Therion's first chapter. Grinding to get him caught up with the other three (he's at 10 now, rest are 13 and 14). I did teach him the HP Steal skill and also went on a stealing spree around the town. Kinda think I should feel guilty about how much fun that was , but I don't:P
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Into everybody's Chapter 3 now...and I feel compelled to ask. This isn't spoiler heavy (or important), but...from Olberic's Chapter 3,
Spoiler:
anybody else getting serious Berserk fanboy vibes?
Edit: Much appreciated on the Cait location, Bluie. Had pretty good luck there for a while. :)
Last edited by Mikodesu on Aug 04, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Finished Therion's and Alfyn's first chapters last night. Having to "bench" someone because I had 5 people was hard. I wanted to keep them all! Saved last night right after I reached H'aaint's town. After I add her I'll have to decide who to leave behind again. And then again twice after I pick up Cyrus and Ophilia. I know the ones I drop won't be gone permanently, but I still wish I could keep all 8 all the time. Although, that would make a battle take forever, so being limited to 4 at a time is good in that case.

I've encountered Caits quite a few times but only managed to kill one ( it was orange), and, omg, the exp! So lovely!
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I read about this guide today. It says still in progress but seems quite complete. It's in Spanish, tho.

http://www.guiasnintendo.com/2c-switch/ ... lcome.html

Maybe it can work with google translate. I like that is has full list of sidequests, or at least seems that way.

Does Nintendo of America have a similar site for guides? I searched but couldn't find any.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

There's this one on GameFAQS...it isn't complete yet, tho https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/20 ... faqs/76066

I do have a question about secondary jobs. Do I need to have the person I want the job for with me when I go to the Shrine?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mothership wrote:There's this one on GameFAQS...it isn't complete yet, tho https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/20 ... faqs/76066

I do have a question about secondary jobs. Do I need to have the person I want the job for with me when I go to the Shrine?
Nope. Just go in and collect it. It becomes accessible to everyone via the job menu. However, only one person can be a job at a time. So, you can't have a full party of warriors or healers.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

thank you, Bluie :) I plan on finished my last first chapter (Cyrus) later on tonight. After that, I guess I'll start on getting the secondary jobs and leveling up my newer team members.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I cheated and looked up what I haven't done yet on YouTube. I just can't deal with grinding for another 10 levels, or for battle tested weapons :lol:
haloharvestmoon
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've still yet to pick up the game. It's driving me crazy. I picked Therion as my starter in the demo and really enjoyed that. Hopefully sometime before the month's end it'll be in my library!
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I finished all 8 first chapters last night and got three of the secondary jobs. I made a dumb move and turned off my computer, and thus my access to the lovely online map that actually shows where the Shrines are. So, that meant I did a lot of wandering around trying to find them. It got really annoying at times because I kept encountering way too strong monsters that would not let me flee about half the times I tried to do so. Actually had several "game overs" because those big meanies were knocking out my team members in 1 or 2 hits each. Nasty. Ah, well. Tis just a game.

Anyways, I now have Olberic as Apothecary, Ophilia as Dancer and Therion as Hunter. Cyrus will be Merchant after I find that Shrine.