* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 20, 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Anonymous Fish
  Post subject: fantasy life review?
Post Posted: Sep 23, 2018 10:57 pm 
Anonymous Fish

anyone out there who plays fantasy life? I'm actually considering to buy the game but I still want review from actual players. what's the goal of the game? what's the general review could you give it? what can you do in the game?

Kikki
  Post subject: Re: fantasy life review?
Post Posted: Sep 24, 2018 2:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

It's been too long since I played it for me to review it...it's not fresh in my mind any more. But basically, there are 12 professions in the game (called 'lives'). You can change to any of them at any time, but you start as a rookie in each one, and each profession has a teacher/mentor that you will have to report to, who will give you tasks to do, like an apprentice, to level up your skills. They're tailored to your level of expertise. Many are interdependent. For example, you can be a lumberjack (I think in the game it was called a woodcutter) and what you can do depends on your skill level, but it also depends on how good your axe is, and you get better axes by forging them. To forge tools and weapons you'd have to be a blacksmith. And to be a blacksmith you'd need to have gathered things through your gathering professions (woodcutter and miner in particular).

That's pretty much the major mechanic of the game...juggling your careers, improving yourself in them, gathering better and better items as you explore and get to further regions and improve your skills and tools.

The story is...well, it's the weak point, in my book. It felt like something meant for quite young children, to me. Not that it wasn't cute, but it was a bit silly and never very deep. Those are just my feelings, of course, but it does at least have a story that you're playing through as you reach new regions, which all look different and have different monsters, fish, mining points, trees, etc, so the further you progress the world, the more interesting items you can gather, and the better the food, clothing, tools and weapons you can make.

I don't think it's possible to choose just one profession in the game and go with just it, because I don't think you'd be able to get the materials to progress in any of the crafting professions if you didn't do the hunter/gatherer professions. Though some careers are definitely less essential than others (imo, you really can't get away without getting pretty good in wood cutting, mining, smithing and carpentry, but maybe some others have...I didn't try too hard, I just went ahead and tried to get pretty good in all the skills.)

To me, the story was not really of interest but the whole leveling up in your professions was a lot of fun, as was making new things for yourself (including making all of your own really cute furniture and decorations for the houses you can own in the game) and that was well worth buying the game for alone.

Katgirl
Post Posted: Sep 24, 2018 8:14 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Someone asked a similar question a while ago so I'll put my response from that here:

Well I really love Fantasy Life! It has that classic Level 5 charm and everything is just really charming :)

It's kinda like a single player mmo. There are 12 classes: 4 combat (Paladin, Mercenary, Archer, Mage) 3 gathering classes (Woodcutter, Miner, Angler) and 5 crafting classes (Tailor, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Cook, Alchemist) You can choose any class and switch between them at any non story time.

Without giving away spoilers, the plot is that the sky is falling! More specifically mysterious crystals are falling that take over and turn hostile any monster they're near. The king of your kingdom tasks you with retrieving the other 3 sacred treasures from the other kingdoms. Unfortunately the other kingdoms have their own troubles to deal with that you and your butterfly friend must help solve.

The charm of the game shines more in the characters than the main plot itself. There's also not a whole lot of combat in the plot.

Each class has ranks you can earn which unlocks new moves/attacks, crafting recipes, tasks, and companion NPCs. This is where the grinding comes in. Since more of the classes are interconnected, if you get bored of grinding one class you can jump to another. There's a cycle of fighting then crafting to fight then fighting so that you can craft if that makes sense.

I'd give it an 8. I love the charm and characters to death but it is a pretty grindy game. However there was only really one time I recall the grind being really painful which was when an area was blocked off by a mini boss that I could only do a sliver of damage to, but to craft better gear I needed the resources behind him.

Kikki
Post Posted: Sep 24, 2018 8:24 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

The previous thread is HERE. It's from about 9 months ago so it's now sunk a bit beyond where people look, down on page 5 or 6, but if you want to scan it for more information, there it is :)

LeBurns
Post Posted: Sep 28, 2018 5:53 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I loved the game myself. Most the mechanics are already listed. My one complaint is that we can buy and furnish houses, build relationships with NPC's, but no marriage even though there are multiple partners we could choose from. Kind of left my 'Fantasy Life' incomplete. But loved everything else about the game.

Side note, the DLC is well worth getting for the extra stuff it adds.

AWESOMEGAMER
Post Posted: Oct 01, 2018 4:49 pm 
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

OMG this game is a BFD

This was one of my first 3dsxl games :-D
Sorry is I still have it Not to sound pushy but the DLC is ($_$) well a thing. and the free content clothing codes you are going to need that in the beginning

That Angelic & Demonic mirror soooo close to getting it
The (merc) 5x button slash eludes me, I heard it's all about timing or something :-p

Well
Later Gamer (Crafter)