Little Dragons Cafe - Release Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Which version of the game are you picking up?

You may select 1 option

View results

Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

ryume wrote:Just noticed my system installed version 1.01. Wonder what it changed.
To me, it seems the dragon's stamina doesn't decrease as quickly when pressing the fly button to gain height, but I could just be crazy. I still get stuck on the dragon every so often (i.e., no dismount works).

One of the Help entries mentions that recipe fragments might come from cafe guests too, though I haven't received anything yet. I did get a Japan Pepper from giving a to-go recipe. If that's the case then the seemingly-pointless cafe might have a purpose for the collect-it-all players.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey, Little Dragons Cafe did pretty good in Japan!

11,860 copies sold on Switch and 5,308 on PS4. For a new IP, that's probably more than expected. It's not blowing anything out of the water, but it's still pretty good. I'm glad for Wada/Toy Box.

Despite the flaws of the game, I still enjoyed it and I think the sales are well earned.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Hey, Little Dragons Cafe did pretty good in Japan!

11,860 copies sold on Switch and 5,308 on PS4. For a new IP, that's probably more than expected. It's not blowing anything out of the water, but it's still pretty good. I'm glad for Wada/Toy Box.

Despite the flaws of the game, I still enjoyed it and I think the sales are well earned.
Just out of curiosity, how does that compare to Hometown Story and Birthday Beginnings?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Neither of them charted (as far as I can find) so they sold less than 1,000 copies in their opening weeks. This also includes the Switch re-release of Birthdays.

So yeah, Little Dragons Cafe is probably seen as a bit more successful. I'm pretty sure Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters has charted before, so it's not the first time Toy Box has debuted on Media Create.

That being said, World End Syndrome released this week as well (on PS4, Vita, and Switch) and it's MIA on the chart. Guess not everything is going to be a hit (Which is a shame cause I really wanted that one localized).
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

so how do you guys enjoy the game? I am on the fence getting it...
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's okay, but rather dull due to repetitiveness and a lack of variety in what you can do in the game. The characters are the highlight. The overarching story is very simple, and the gameplay has very little variety, since you'll spend almost all your time foraging, and you can take breaks to tend the cafe when you want, though it's rarely ever necessary to do so since I always got story my reputation to progress even without tending the cafe at all. (Though I think you do get bigger reputation increases at the end of each chapter if you keep the menu updated and help out at the cafe as much as you can on that specific day when the story asks you to raise the cafe's reputation.) Each chapter runs on the same formula, too.
The chapters always run like this:
Spoiler:
Trigger the arrival of a new guest. Learn their problems over the course of a few days by triggering more cutscenes. Find out what recipe would soothe their troubled mind and gather the ingredients (including making a specific recipe for some NPC standing out in the world somewhere with a recipe fragment to trade) and the recipe, make the recipe, and feed the guest that recipe. They will leave with a better view on life...and then if your cafe reputation has hit the required amount, the next chapter will start and you'll do the same thing over again.
It's also very...glitchy might not be quite the right word, but it's close. When you jump, your character tends to just stand there if they run into the object they need to jump over, first, like they're 'stuck' on it so you have to jump at just the right moment to avoid that, or reposition yourself and try again. The camera motion can be a bit troubling, and sometimes after you're able to ride your dragon, you can't get off of it again, and you have to transport back to your cafe just to get out of that state. Which can totally ruin a day of foraging if the timing was bad, since it takes quite a while to get to further areas if you're searching for specific ingredients. That happened to me about three times, and it's happening occasionally to my sister, as well.

I'm not sorry I bought it, but at the same time, if I was asked if I'd buy it again, the answer would be 'no'. I doubt I will ever play it again, either. It regularly becames tedious, for me, even though I really loved some of the characters. The world is cute/pretty, though.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:so how do you guys enjoy the game? I am on the fence getting it...
I can only recommend if you find it deeply discounted (50% or more off).
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I liked it, but I didn't love it. While it's very cute, the writing/characters are great, and the overall feel of the game is very comfy, it has quite a tedious nature to it. Furthermore, it took me 20 hours to complete the story, and that might not be enough to justify the price tag.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I haven't gotten a Switch yet, was waiting for SOS but I was considering getting a Switch just for this game, when I heard there were no relationships I pretty much forgot that idea but decided I would maybe give it a shot anyway, after everything I've seen though I don't think I'll be getting a Switch just for this game unless it gets maybe some kind of update to make it better which is quite disappointing since I was hoping this would hold me over until we finally get an SOS for the Switch.

Also I think with the graphics and great characters this would have been a really good SOS
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So it looks like Wada cut about 70% of what he wanted in the game. Article. Some of the cut content includes customizing the player, the cafe, and more for the dragon. A world map was cut because someone told Wada it would encourage exploration. I mean, yes, it does, but this place is so huge! A map was definitely needed!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The stuff in that article is basically everything we here have been saying would have made the game so, so much better. Customization, a map, a monetary system (well, okay, maybe I was the only one who said they wanted a monetary system.) The lack of a map did NOT make me explore more, it just made me more frustrated when I couldn't remember where I got the most curry powder from and there wasn't enough time in a day to check everywhere to see if I could find it again.

I don't like that they took stuff out to keep you 'focusing on raising your dragon' or to 'encourage exploration'. DON'T LIMIT ME, MAN. Don't make my decisions for me! Let me decide for MYSELF if I want to focus on my cafe, my dragon, exploration, or customization. The fact is, I'll end up doing all of them, but I should get to choose and focus on a favourite on my own without the devs forcing their decision on me. That's the great thing about the Bokumono games...you can minimize the parts that are not fun for you and focus on the parts that are. (And each game has a difference balance so if you didn't get what you wanted in one game, there's always the chance you will in the next!)

I hereby authorize a sequel. I think if he does what he wanted to, it would be 200% better right off the bat.
Tiptoze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Why did they leave the map out that's what I need the most man! It sucks that so much was cut out, I hope they get to make a sequel.

I'm not very far in the game but I'd recommend it! I'm a busy college students so these Switch game that are designed to play in short sessions are right up my alley. I like playing LDC for an hour in the evening after hours of studying and homework. While there may not be much to do in the game, I love the interactions with my dragon and the two of us running around in a fun, colorful world. The only thing that really annoys me is there's no reset camera button like in RFToD and the jumping is wonky. Overall, I'd say you should get the game so you can show support and maybe one day we'll get a sequel. (The limited edition plushie is very nice with the cutest plushie and bonuses in case anyone was considering getting it!)

Also, I can't be the only one who keeps going to abbreviate it as LDC and putting DLC instead right?

I found all 20 dragon colors from this article. Sorry if someone's already posted them before.
Spoiler:
I'm personally not aiming for any colors and just letting my dragon be whatever color it wants to be, all the colors are so pretty!
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Not sure why the focus is raising the dragon. "Raising" it is hands-off for the most part. It doesn't get sick, and its size is tied directly to the game story. The game raises the dragon, not the player. The player only has control over its color until post-story size control, which by then it is full grown anyway.

The dev who discouraged the in-game map apparently did not intend to play the game :roll:

I'm still at 93/100 recipes, as nobody so far has publicly revealed (or know) how exactly the story guests give out their recipes when they're visiting the cafe for a meal. It could be random, it could be tied to the number of cafe guests you help, it could be tied to an invisible point value, or something else entirely unknown.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I talk too much already so I didn't add that to my post, but...yeah. That's what I thought, too. Raising your dragon isn't something you as the player do at ALL. You could never feed or pet your dragon and it would grow up exactly the same. (If you managed to use your dragon without needing to feed it to refuel it to use as a lawn mower and leaf-blower, that is.) There's no point in focusing on it at all...it changes nothing. (Unless you're really into getting the colour you want and maintaining it exactly, I guess.)

It seems like Wada's ideas made it a nice, full game, and for some reason the input he gets from his dopey coworkers is to empty his games of content. :/ I wonder if this is what was behind how boring I found Hometown Story and Birthdays to be...
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Doubt I'll buy this game, I don't really have any interest in helping out in a cafe and it seems kind of boring to me overall. I think I'll buy Garden Paws instead when it comes out. xD It has a cute-feel as well but it looks more like something I'd enjoy...