Vesperia Definitive (player discussion)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, I was talking too much about Vesperia in the backlog thread, and the backlog thread is not for pages of discussion about one game alone, so here's a thread where we ARE supposed to discuss it for as many pages as we want.

Probably most people don't need spoiler warnings since this is a ten year old game, but even so, since Definitive is newly released, please use the spoiler tag wherever it's needed.

I'm currently 12 hours in according to my playtime, but that's more like 10 hours of actual play, since I spent a lot of time with the menu on while I was not doing anything at all. I'm also at
Spoiler:
Dahngrest
location-wise. That's probably not a spoiler, but better to err on the side of safety. :)

I like the story so far (though it's not coming together quickly; I suppose that's not a surprise) and the locations are pretty, and I got one more party member and think there are 3 left to get. The gameplay unfortunately is very much an old game's gameplay, not snappy-crisp like the new ones, so that's not as much fun. I definitely feel like I'm playing an old game, not a new one, even though this is my first time playing. I am currently most curious about
Spoiler:
whoever is riding this so-called 'Dragon'. Rita may not like them, but frankly what they do seems to help Yuri out in what he's doing, so...who dat?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm only a few hours in, but i'm really enjoying it despite already having myself spoiled on the game in its entirety. I really like playing as Repede (until other options are available) and i'm really looking forward to getting Patty.

Just a FYI for anyone who's thinking of or already playing with the Japanese voices, during boss battles, party members often banter with the boss, and it is NOT subtitled. There's some really good stuff in those banters, especially the more emotional bosses, so keep that in mind. Everything else is translated though.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've only played as Yuri. I don't like seeing Repede from behind, lol...I took him out of my party. Though I like him in one of the costumes.

If anyone does start playing in Japanese, you can swap back to English any time you exit and re-enter the game, though there doesn't appear to be an option to do that in the menu *while* playing the game. Spoiler just in case, though I don't think any of this is actually spoilers.
Spoiler:
I got another party member, rounding it out to 6. I think the last two are options only added by this being the Definitive version, though having known next to nothing about Vesperia before this, I'm not sure of that. My opinions on characters are subject to change as things go on, but so far there's a couple I really like, a few I like, a few I'm indifferent to, and one I don't like. Not including Flynn, whom I still dislike at this point. So a fair selection. Patty is unbelievably cute. Normally I don't fall for the cute ones, but oh my goodness, she's adorable. She's not in my party, though.
I also think there's one voice in here that's the same as the voice of Gaius from Xillia. I've noticed Tales seems to use that voice actor a lot. I didn't check, but he SOUNDS the same. (I love his voice, though I like it best when belonging to Gaius. I've noticed they never give this voice to anyone who isn't one of the most interesting characters.)

EDIT: Spoke too soon! Within a minute of finishing this comment, I got my 7th party member.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Curious who it is that sounds like Gaius to you, Kikki.

Every time I boot the game up, I go back and forth between Japanese and English voices. The game tells you upon playing at least the first time you start the game that you can't change the voices during gameplay, but I'm glad you can still change them via restart. I hate the difference in voice actor for Yuri, plus the battle call outs are always a source of aggravation in a Tales game for me. Unfortunately, if you silence the battle voices, you also silence the banter, so there's no perfect solution.

Thus far, it plays just as I remember, with the addition of more voiced scenes and whatnot. I think it looks great. The sound overall can be a bit off. I can hardly hear the voice acting in the anime movie scenes. I had to lower the background music a notch in order to hear event vices, but then I ended up chopping the volume for the skit voices in half lol. Also, in battle the spell call outs are EXTREMELY loud, which makes combat grating on my ears. I don't understand why it's just spells, but if I lower battle voices too much, I won't hear anything else. Argh!

I still love this game, though. Definitely my favorite Tales.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Um, let's see...he's got
Spoiler:
long white hair and has a red and black outfit on. Someone called him "Duke" but I don't know if that's his name or a title. He doesn't sound quite as good as Gaius, but very similar, to me. Deep, serious, full of gravitas. Though he's only said a few words, really, at this point.
Though honestly, I'm not sensitive to voices at ALL. I don't even notice the difference in voices of Yuri. I assume after playing 10 hours there have already been changes? I haven't noticed even a little, lol.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

That's his name, and that's who I thought you might be referring to lol.

There have been several scenes with a new voice for Yuri. The new actor, Grant George, is good in his own right, it's just a rabid, audiophile fan like myself that finds it to be a jarring change from Troy Baker. Again, not a deal breaker and like you, I think Grant comes close enough that a lot of people either won't notice, or won't mind.

Did I mention how happy I am to be playing as Yuri again? I just love his character :heart:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yuri always seems like he's on the verge of smirking or rolling his eyes. :) 21 is not young for a Tales protag, and yet, he seems even older than that, too me...25+. (In my books, 21 is as close to teenager as to adult...still at a transition phase.) Though in the gaming world, anything over 21 is basically a senior citizen, lol.

I like him, but it's not likely he's going to become a favourite of mine. (It's still possible, just not likely.) I realized when someone was asking why I love Rean so much (protag of Cold Steel, not very popular with players) that ALL of my favourite characters are introverts, and usually modest, polite nice-guys who don't really like to fight. I don't think there is a single exception, though I'd have to sit down and make a list to be sure of that, lol. Yuri doesn't seem like a true introvert to me; not as I count it, anyway.

I don't understand the Troy Baker thing. I know he WANTED to voice Yuri for the extra Definitive stuff, but he wasn't even asked. I mean, I get if he's too expensive now or something and the other guy was cheaper to use, but if Troy Baker really wanted to do the voice he probably would have worked for less? But if he wasn't even asked... I just don't know why they went with two different actors when the first one wanted to do the job.
Last edited by Kikki on Jan 13, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yeah, it's a stupid situation :(

Edit: got rid of my original comment about DLC costumes! But hey, while we're at it, my favorite set are the school ones lol. They were also my favorites in Xillia, too.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nope, I haven't figured anything out from what you said, but I wouldn't know...I'm seriously unspoiled on this game. I saw one that seemed like a reference to Tales of the Abyss, and another one that...well it just makes me laugh! Looks like a glam-rock 80's concert costume, lol.

I think I know who the party characters are anyway. I believe the total in Definitive is
Spoiler:
8? Including ones who may come or go...not sure. And that 2 of them are Patty and Flynn, who only became available as party members in Definitive itself. I think. Which isn't really a secret since they advertised it as one of the drawing points of the Definitive version...and probably the PS3 version. I really don't know, there. Right now I have everyone except Patty. Though I do want her...she's terribly cute. I really like Judith, too.
I've gone through a place called
Spoiler:
Ghasfarost
and am now kind of getting into the story. :)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Heh.
Spoiler:
I forgot how much I loved the playful/flirty banter between Judith and Yuri.
I'm looking forward to once the party is fully together and stops dividing. I usually go for the bow users in Tales games (if there is one) and I've got a good set up on Raven, he just needs to stops being shifty. Repede is fun for now though, he's got a fun playstyle. Wherever Patty joins, i'm looking forward to trying her out too, because watching gameplay videos of her is just pure nonsense.
Spoiler:
My party will most likely be Raven, Repede, Patty, and Estelle once I get everyone.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't use Repede. Not just because I don't want to...he's always the first one I see and I go to kill him as though he were a monster rather than a party member, and it wastes time until I realize that the enemies are all the other direction and that was just Repede, lol. Maybe if I put him in a different costume, but my preference is Judith anyway, so I leave Repede in the costume that looks coolest. Fourth member varies according to who I have...I'd like to have both of the yellow-haired characters in, but they're away more than they're present.

My stupid game just glitched on me too, and shut down. I had saved several cutscenes and a bit of travel before, but not because of my own fault...I save at every point I come across and I hadn't gotten to the next one, yet. So I'm a bit annoyed with my game at the moment, lol. I like how in future Tales games they have save points at the beginning and end of every area.

Just found out about cooking shortcuts. Better start using those! But I've been very good about making sure all my characters learn every skill off every weapon they ever get, too, though it makes it slow for me to upgrade to my next weapon. It does get me to fight a little more, though, when otherwise I'd be avoiding it.

EDIT: Just got to the prettiest town in the game yet
Spoiler:
(I wish I knew of a place where I could walk down a dirt street with flowery grass and a yellow chain flower pergola over the whole thing), and also got to speak more to 'Duke'. He sounds exactly like Gaius if he only says a couple of words, but longer sentences and I notice his voice doesn't sound as reverberant any more. Also, I dislike Rita more and more as time goes on. She's just so abrasive. She's always asking things like 'how dare you?!' and 'where do you get off?' and that's exactly what I want to say to HER. And she's not even funny to make up for it. And I'm starting to wonder if the final two party members ever actually becomes a regular member or if they only ever do guest spots. Especially the last one.
What this game is making me want more than anything is to replay Xillia, lol.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I don't know if saying the names of the characters is really a spoiler. I mean, the splash screen as the game is loading is every single character you get in the game. I dunno. I don't mind keeping the trend if you guys think it's better to do so, but they even picture the two new characters on the back of physical box.

Anyway, Gaius has a different voice actor than the other guy. I looked it up last night and forgot to mention it.
Genie9
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Played this game back when it came out on my friends 360, but never got to finish it cause I was only able to use it for a week, so I am glad this came out. I have been having a blast with it, and was playing all weekend long. I'm still pretty early in the game, but damn, I remember now why I love this Tales of entry. Yuri is just so relatable, the game play is addictive (albeit show its age at points) and the world is fun to explore. Can't wait to play more later this week when my schedule isn't as packed.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Legit surprised Flynn's crossover costume isn't Guy from Tales of the Abyss (They're literally twins, look at them), but I'm very pleased Patty gets Chat's outfit from Tales of Eternia. She's one of my favourite characters in the entire series. Also, Flynn's Namco costume is Chopin from Eternal Sonata. It reminded me that I've always wanted to play that game...

Welp, Patty is insanely fun to play as. Sorry, Raven, you can still be in my party, but Patty is my new main.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm at about 30 hours in, I *think* 60-70% done the story, and it did get really fun. Though I haven't been touching walkthroughs this time, so I'm sure I'm missing LOTS of stuff. Haven't been trying for any titles and I never seem to run into any side-quests, so I know I have to be missing stuff. But I just want to play the story, this time. Then I'll have all that extra stuff to do new for the first time if I decide to play a second time, some day.

(Further talk cut more for length than actual spoilers...)
Spoiler:
I don't enjoy the combat in Vesperia and wish they didn't make the enemies so impossible to avoid in so many places, and I really wish that really weak enemies didn't bother with you (I love that about Xenoblade. Once you're more than 5 levels above them, even aggressive ones won't pay any attention to you unless you attack them.) It's such a waste of time! And holy bottles effect is so short, they're barely worthwhile, so there's no good solution that I know of, to avoid unnecessary battles, especially when the enemies are on narrow paths and you can't sneak past them.

But that aside, the plot definitely really picked up and at this point I think is in full swing, though I'm pretty sure the bad guy I'm dealing with now won't be the last. Not if I really do have 30% or so of the game left to go. I'm at level 41. (Well, 46. I used one of my free DLC level-ups because the combat was annoying me and I wanted to make it as fast as possible.) Not having played before I don't know if that's the typical level or if I should be grinding, but it seems to be working out fine on Easy; I've never had to redo a boss battle, though I did have to run away from a fight with a really huge crab monster in a cave, once...it was insanely tough. Way tougher than any story boss. But I stomped him on my way back through when I was a few levels higher. Thank goodness for Easy! Means I can just button-mash. I don't find the controls work for me very well, though it may be that I don't have the right skills equipped for what I'm trying to do. :/ I can do the 3 normal, one base arte, no problem, but the combo drops then before I can add an Arcane, so I still need to get Combo 2. My current weapon has it, though.

Also, I had no idea you had to synthesize something to get higher levels of Overlimit! Such a weird way to go about it...I thought it'd unlock with story progression. I was baffled by the Mystic Arte situation, too, but I think I get it, now.