Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Nov 25, 2020 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ryume
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2019 4:47 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Eternal Sonata is a good game. The music and visuals are awesome. Story is a bit weird, but nothing that was deal breaking. My only gripe was The PS3 version for the extended ending scenes had no subtitles, and since I played with Japanese voices, that was awful to be surprised by. There was quite a bit of dialogue that to this day I don't know what they were talking about. The combat in that game for me is tough, though. I got a game over more than a few times, and I wasn't even playing on hard. My timing sucks, and it's practically essential to have good timing, otherwise normal dungeon battles can wipe you out, let alone boss fights. It was probably due to my personal lack of skill, though.

I'm glad you've been enjoying Vesperia for the most part, Kikki! The old combat system really is a pain, but ten years ago it was a HUGE improvement over Symphonia. That's one of the problems with remastered games - we end up missing those QOL changes made in later entries, so it can be definitely be more difficult for newcomers to enjoy clunky, old systems when they aren't being fueled by nostalgia.

I finally just finished with
Spoiler:
Ghasfarost, which is one of my least favorite areas. Not sure why Flynn has no status portrait when he joins in this area - I assume it comes later in the game.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2019 6:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I have Eternal Sonata but ended up abandoning it as I was SO EARLY in the game when I just stopped because I didn't know what to do next...there seemed to be nowhere to go, lol. (Obviously there was, but I just couldn't see it/find it.) Plus I don't really want to deal with my PS3 any more...it's been retired to the basement..

Buuuut...playing Vesperia REALLY makes me want to play Xillia again, so I may have to return to my PS3 anyway. I sure wish they'd spiff Xillia up, even just a tiny bit, for PS4. Not a remake or even a remaster, just a lightly polished port. I'd be thrilled. I'm 0% expecting that to ever happen, though. I mean, maybe 0.01% chance that they could port some older Tales games to the Switch? A Xillia 1-2 compilation would be awesome. *insert sparkly-eyed emoji here* But even that I can't afford to hold my breath on.

I have to do one more place/dungeon and then I believe I'm finished the middle part of the game and on to the last third, though I don't know if the time needed to complete each arc of the game is the same, so it may be that I have a much heavier third left...dunno. I'm pretty sure it has three arcs? Not positive, though. Flynn is still annoying (often because he comes with that awful Sodia) but he feels a little less rigidly narrow-minded at this point. My power party is Yuri, Flynn, Patty, Judith, with Estelle swapped for Patty or Judith depending on situation...I seem to get through battles fastest when all of those ones are available to me, so I always use them if I have them. Plus I hate to let Flynn ever get the last word in battle, lol, so it makes me run Yuri around like crazy to finish off enemies before Flynn can. :lol:

Absolute worst part of the game for me so far? Heracles. WHY do the enemies have to respawn instantly every time you pass through a door, when you have to go up and down and side to side and inside outside SO MANY TIMES before you can finish that area? That's when I used my one five-level up, lol...I wanted to smush enemies super fast and easy.

ryume
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I honestly don't remember how many arcs the game has, or even that much of the story to be honest. I haven't been able to sit down and grind out a big chunk of playtime yet. I've been getting in an hour or two here and there. It's annoying because I would like to get through it faster (I am absolutely not a slow and steady type of gamer), but there are far too many distractions during the work week.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 5:39 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Aww...hugs! Hugs are happening, and they're cute hugs. It's so nice when characters I like actually get to hug each other. Also, someone is not a tattletale...darn it. I wanted the person responsible to get tattled on. I hope their conscience is making them suffer, at least.

Great ending to the second arc and start up of the third...certainly made me want to start in on the third right away. I looked it up and according to the one source I checked, they group the game into three arcs, and I've just entered the last one. But I'm not sure what they're basing that on...if the game itself calls them arcs or if it's just the person who made the walkthrough I checked to see where I was in the game. At 30-35 hours in right now, I guess it's only going to take about 50 hours to finish the game, since I haven't been doing any side quests. I don't think I've done a single one, unless it happened accidentally while pursuing the main story.

Genie9
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am 
Pick Potatos, not boogers

You guys are so ahead of me haha. I just got Kaive Mov.

I hate to admit it, but I died two times at the burst arte tutorial O.o I'm only on normal, but they broke my combos every time and just released utter carnage on me. I finally got it on the third time after playing more defensively, but damn...that was rough.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 8:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I find combos get broken constantly...they're very hard to carry. Honestly, these skills that require you to get 50 and 75 hit combos? Okay, I could do it in Xillia and games after Xillia, but in Vesperia I'm lucky if I get anything above an 8-10 hit combo. :/ (And I'm on Easy.) The movements don't really make sense to me. Yuri automatically drops his combo as soon as he's taken the number of hits his skills allow him to, which for me is currently 6. He tends to drop it after I use a base art, too, not letting me go smoothly into an arcane art. I have yet to get even one mystic arte, and the ONLY burst arte I've ever done was in the tutorial, lol.

Honestly this combat system just doesn't work for me. Not only do the combos drop for just about everything, reactions are slow...Yuri takes so long to go into defence mode...and well, I can't even remember the million different control sequences. :/ Luckily on Easy I'm having no trouble. I can finish off boss enemies five levels higher than me in this mode, even with my pitiful single-digit combos, so nothing to worry about, I guess.

Having loads of fun though. It got really good somewhere around 30 to 50% of the way through, lol, and now I don't really want to put my controller down. Rita somehow got less abrasive at some invisible point, and I don't mind her any more, so there are no party members I dislike at this point. :)

Genie9
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am 

Kikki wrote:
I find combos get broken constantly...they're very hard to carry. Honestly, these skills that require you to get 50 and 75 hit combos? Okay, I could do it in Xillia and games after Xillia, but in Vesperia I'm lucky if I get anything above an 8-10 hit combo. :/ (And I'm on Easy.) The movements don't really make sense to me. Yuri automatically drops his combo as soon as he's taken the number of hits his skills allow him to, which for me is currently 6. He tends to drop it after I use a base art, too, not letting me go smoothly into an arcane art. I have yet to get even one mystic arte, and the ONLY burst arte I've ever done was in the tutorial, lol.

Honestly this combat system just doesn't work for me. Not only do the combos drop for just about everything, reactions are slow...Yuri takes so long to go into defence mode...and well, I can't even remember the million different control sequences. :/ Luckily on Easy I'm having no trouble. I can finish off boss enemies five levels higher than me in this mode, even with my pitiful single-digit combos, so nothing to worry about, I guess.

Having loads of fun though. It got really good somewhere around 30 to 50% of the way through, lol, and now I don't really want to put my controller down. Rita somehow got less abrasive at some invisible point, and I don't mind her any more, so there are no party members I dislike at this point. :)

I am glad that you're also feeling this way Kikki! Maybe I was so used to Xillia levels of combos as well (even Graces levels tbh), but I agree with everything you are saying. One of my main issues is that Yuri is awful with crowd controlling, and I don't know how much of it is his play style fault, or if the linear battle system used in this specific version has to do with that. Every time I use over limit and try to do a burst arte, some enemy flags me from behind, and by the time her recovers (which is so slow), my overlimit bar is done.

I'm on normal, but I have set it down to easy for some boss battles (like the one at Ehmead Hill) because they can be quite unforgiving. Especially considering that these boss battles happen after my HP and TP are depleted, with little resources, and after being attacked by countless enemies (I hate flying enemies in every version of Tales games).

Another issue I have is the ring you get which can "stun" enemies. If my memory served me correctly, I was able to use it pretty effectively in the 360 version, but I cannot seem to use it here. Even when I clearly hit the enemy, nothing happens. And even if they do get stalled, there isn't enough room to bypass them on the map, so I end up having to fight them any who.

I love the game though, and am super addicted to it. Easy to see why this is hailed as one of the best Tales of in the batch. I just think it shows its age, and wish there was some sort of refinement on Namco Bandai's end.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 9:55 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

A lot of battle abilities are only possible if you have enabled them in your 'skills' menu...and you can only enable skills you've learned. Which means fighting enough with the specific weapon or weapons that have that skill on it. A very weird system, to me! Your weapon teaches you skills, and you have to then equip those skills with SP you earn from levelling up (can't remember if there's another way to earn SP). I mean, you can't link an arcane arte into your combo after a base art unless you have the skill 'Super Chain' enabled...Yuri will drop his combo as soon as he preforms a base arte. Or that's how it seems!

And that's just the skills. Honestly I can't remember the controls. Hold down ____ while pressing ____ when your ____ gauge is at _____ by pressing _____ on the _____. I can't remember all that! And it's different for all the millions of things you can do in battle.

Pretty sure that if you can get all the necessary skills and enable them, and remember the button combinations to activate them in battle, then you can probably do some pretty shnazzy stuff. But I can't remember a whit of it. I can do three normal hits, a base arte, and an arcane arte in a chain, but that's about my limit, lol. I can't remember to press...oh, down on the direction button to release a level 3 overlimit and then do an arcane and...how does it go? Hold down A after that to do a mystic arte?

I don't even know. And strangely, I can combo a lot better on semi-auto than on manual...everyone says go manual to get better control but I find it works much better on semi-auto. At the least it stops Yuri from jumping when you try to use your left-control-stick-up arte. But thankfully, it's okay. If you're on Easy, then if your level is near the enemy's level and you have good equipment, you'll be okay. Or that's what I've found so far. Xillia's system was complicated too, iirc, but I loved it, so I'm not sure why Vesperia's just isn't clicking. The response time is slower than newer games, too, so that makes it harder for a dumbo like me.

Bluie
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 1:15 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

You know, playing through this is making me want more Tales remakes / Definitive editions. The sales numbers are in, in Japan, and it did decent.

[PS4] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Limited Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 01/11/19) – 41,510

[NSW] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Limited Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 01/11/19) – 26,588

They aren't amazing numbers, but this is the THIRD TIME ToV has been released in Japan. I hope they consider doing enhanced ports of some of the other titles down the line. I'd love to finally play Tales of Rebirth, and if they ironed out Tales of Legendia, i'd totes give it a go (ToL's OST is SO GOOD, WOW).

ryume
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

This may be a stupid question, but are you hitting your base arte and arcane arte immediately after your basic combo is finished? Like right now, I have a skill equipped that gives me one more hit to my combo, so Yuri swings his sword 4x, I smack my base arte button and just before the animation for that is done (or maybe just as it's finishing), I hit my arcane arte button. So with his basic combo, Shining Fang and Dragon Swarm, Yuri by himself can do like 16. That's not a lot of hits, but if it's timed right (and in my case this usually only happens by accident) when other members are attacking the same enemy, that's when the numbers really climb. And of course you can just go into over limit mode and right now I've gotten up to about 60 with just Yuri. Not huge numbers, but that's how I scrape by :lol:

THIS old post on GameFAQS might help.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 7:08 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I press the buttons as fast as I can, as quickly in succession as possible, so...for me it just doesn't work. I think my highest combo was...28 or some pitiful number like that. It doesn't matter so much on Easy, though. I did finally get the hang of Fatal Strikes, after eventually finding where the weaknesses were hidden, lol. I'm finished, anyway! Vesperia is a Tales game with one set ending, right? You can't get different versions, like the 3 different endings you can get for Xillia 2? Gotta say, the ending of Vesperia is
Spoiler:
the least bittersweet of any Tales game I've played yet. Honestly that was pretty much a purely happy ending, at least by Tales standards, since their endings can sometimes lean more to the bitter than the sweet.
Very good game, and even though I'd need a second play-through to unlock every skill and get enough SP to use the majority of them, I did get the hang of a decent portion of the battle system. Did maybe two burst artes in the entire game, and never got to use a Mystic Arte, but I didn't need them on Easy, so meh. I still have 2 10 Level level-ups, so when I do some post game stuff (if I bother with it) I'll use them to go up to 90 before I start a new game.

I saw a lot of stuff in Vesperia that was also in Xillia. Are 'the four' just a Tales staple, or is there supposed to be a connection? The way the story in Xillia goes, it could be the same world a few hundred years later, the way I see it. (Ending details of Vesperia AND major Xillia plot points here!) Stuff like
Spoiler:
getting rid of all blastia to turn them into spirits. Xillia is filled with spirits, and overusing them by means of the spyrix is what causes a lot of the trouble in their world, causing imbalance by killing too many spirits, and they've got to find a new way of doing things that quits destroying the spirit world. Even the names of the Four is the same...Efreet, Sylph, Undine and Gnome.

Just a coincidence because the Tales team likes to reuse a lot of the same themes? Cuz I hadn't though the two games were actually connected. Totally different worlds, aren't they? Also, about the Grade Shop? I tried to begin New Game Plus just to see what would be available, and it says I have ZERO grade, so cannot carry over ANYTHING. Wth? I'm trying to figure this out via Google right now, but...

This is because I played on Easy? You get absolutely nothing for NG+ if you play on Easy? Um...that's a thing that I definitely needed to know BEFORE playing... Now I don't even want to replay it, thanks to that. :p Honestly, why put in an Easy mode if you're going to punish people for using it?

Last edited by Kikki on Jan 16, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ryume
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2019 7:17 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Congratulations on finishing!

Spoiler:
Short answer about the 4 is that I have no idea. They were referred to as the same in Symphonia as well, so I'm guessing like summons in FF, they're just recycling names in some cases. And yes, Vesperia has one ending only.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Thanks ryume :)

Thanks to never having any clue that Easy mode in Vesperia gets you NO grade (I never look at the battle stats after the fight...I just click it shut right away) and none of the other Tales I've played having worked that way, I am now griiiiiinding out grade at a pace of about 500-700 per hour in post game on Hard. But looking at the Grade Shop, the things I'd LIKE to have would cost about 12.5 THOUSAND grade. Even if I settle for the minimum I'd want, it'd be 3 to 6 thousand. (Depending on how much I could sacrifice, I MIGHT be able to settle for 1,400 grade, which I already have. I guess that's something? But it'd be a pain.)

I guess this is why I usually follow walkthroughs. Getting everything done in one play helps a lot with a second play...but the second play is more fun if you haven't already DONE everything. I did end up accomplishing several 'secret missions' and quests without even knowing what I was doing, but that was on pure fluke. (I don't even know how I got most of them.) Ehh..guess I should grind my grade up to at least 3000. So tedious...wish the 'Brutal' method didn't require a bunch of grinding to get the Risky Rings, or I'd really be tempted to use it...just let my Switch go by itself overnight for a few nights and magically end up with thousands of grade points and dozens of level ups.

ryume
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2019 3:33 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Dang it, Kikki. I didn't even think about the fact that you were playing on easy. I never play on easy, so I tend to forget that in easy mode for some games, you'll get nothing good. It's actually a paranoia of mine, so with the exception of Persona, I tend to avoid easy mode for fear of missing out on NG+ bonuses. I'm sorry I didn't catch that for you :(

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2019 3:49 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Thanks, ryume, but it's totally my own fault. :) I don't feel to blame for not automatically realizing I wouldn't get any grade since I usually DO play on easy and still get grade from every other Tales I've played, albeit less than on any other difficulty (I never checked with Berseria, mind you) so I don't think I should have just known. But I SHOULD have looked at the battle information at least once! Even though it's not my habit, it makes no sense to not look at it even once. Then I would have seen that I was getting not a whit of grade, paid attention, and realized that I NEVER got any...and checked it out and changed to Normal.

The grinding is going okay, really...got nearly 1500 in one morning...but 2-3 hours of grade grinding is the most I can tolerate in one go. So even if I'm able to do it every day, it'll take me 4 or 5 days to get what I need, and I can't do that every day, plus it's a very boring chore that I'll probably put off, so I don't know how long it'll be before I actually get 6000 grade. (That's my aim, right now...if I can avoid giving up before getting there.) But at least with 1500 Grade I can get my levels and my items. I really want all my skills back, though, so I feel that the minimum I should let myself settle for is 2500 to 3000.

Good game, though, and that's the bit that really matters. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next