Vesperia Definitive (player discussion)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I've made zero progress since I posted in the backlog thread about taking a break. I'm still just after finishing the Blade Drifts. As much as I love this entry in the series, at times ALL Tales games wear on me because sometimes it feels like you hop from one dungeon to the next to the point that it feels like a dungeon crawler to me (which is a genre I absolutely do NOT enjoy). If this were a brand new entry, I would power through and finish, but since I know what happens, I guess I'm milking an extended break. I DO want to get it poised to be an overpowered NG+ should I ever choose to play again, so this first playthrough is also taking me longer than usual as well since I'm being extra thorough (currently sitting at 40 hours on the clock in game).
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I really dislike dungeon crawlers and have had other games that I just couldn't get myself to complete for the same reason...it just felt like dungeon after dungeon strung together with only maybe one cut-scene to propel you from the last dungeon to the next one. But I never feel that way about Tales games. Though it was a little more like that in Vesperia in that some of the sections felt very 'closed off' from the rest of the world, which makes them feel more dungeon-like to me, but I never felt that way while playing Xillia, for example. I just felt like I was adventuring across the world and rarely felt like I was in a dungeon at all. (To me a dungeon always feels like it is separate from the regular world...closed up like a labyrinth you have to fight your way out of...but in the Tales games I've played from Xillia onward, very few areas have felt dungeon-like to me. Maybe because so many regions were big open fields?)

When I replay (which should be a long way off) I like to be OP as well, and I should be, as I'm going to have quite a lot of grade, and all the activated Fell Arms (Yuri's was at over 4000 attack when I activated it! Though everyone else's was still mediocre since I only ever control Yuri.) I've also gone to a lot of bother to make sure all characters have learned at least 75% of their possible skills, though I'm missing some from weapons that seem too bothersome to go after, lol.