It is currently Dec 03, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Sir Stardust
  Post subject: Re: Best Platformer?
Post Posted: Feb 07, 2019 3:44 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Kikki wrote:
Thanks Kross...I wasn't sure, but I didn't see any actual platforming in what I've seen of M + R so I figured it probably wasn't really a platformer :)

Yeah, thanks, Blue Rose; those are definitely ones I've avoided. Well, Death Mark and Zero Escape, anyway, as they looked like goods stories and so caught my attention, but they also sounded too grim for me. I also think I probably wouldn't take WILL: A Wonderful World very well, either, going by the content mentioned by Steam. I'm not familiar with the other two you mentioned but if you say they're not for the easily disturbed, then I believe you.

If you’d like to get an idea of what Higurashi is but with 4Kids level edits, here’s a link to Casey and Friends

There’s a version made with the anime too, but it’s a lot easier to tell what’s actually going on in that one so I wasn’t sure if I should link that one or not.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

This may have already been mentioned but I just thought, if this factors in Mario + Rabbids is another game that can be played co-op. It should be low stress too since it's a turn based game.

I was genuinely surprised at how fun it was. It may be one to consider when it goes on sale next...Ubisoft is VERY good about sales. :) Pretty hefty ones too.

Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Thanks ryume; it's a good review. Celeste is out of the running for my Switch. The price is decent ($24.51 CAD) and the colours are lovely, and I think it has a story, which are all good things, but I don't like the grainy/pixelly graphics at all, and I don't think maximum-difficulty games are what I want. Hollow Knight is beautiful, has high-quality graphics, has a story (I think), and is difficult but slightly less than Celeste, and is even $7.50 cheaper, so it's definitely in the running. Tori Toki 2+ is probably also in the running even though no one recced it, cuz it's just a dollar more than Hollow Knight (It's $18 CAD) and it's very cute and it looks pretty easy. I also think it's interesting that Tori Toki can't jump, so the whole game is a bit like doing a puzzle. (Not being able to jump in a platform game is kind of unusual, afaik.)

Thanks Sir Stardust. :)

Yeah, Mikodesu, when I first saw some of it, I thought M + R looked kind of fun, too, which isn't usual for me. And like any Nintendo-associated game, it's very cute and colourful. :) I thought the Rabbids might annoy the heck outta me, but in reviews people say they've been toned down and are not as annoying as they usually are.

~

I don't have dungeon crawlers on my Switch, either, but it feels less necessary, especially since I want to get games that suit me even if I don't play them, lol. (Yeah, I know that probably doesn't make sense, but I like when people see one of my games and say 'Yeah, that looks like your kind of game." I don't know why.) I think I'll wait to see if an Etrian Odyssey game gets made for the Switch, as it's the only current dungeon crawler I like. (I used to really like FATE, but that was a looooong time go.) Now I've just got to get sports/fitness games and maybe some kind of racing/flying simulator and I think I'm fairly well stocked. All Star Fruit Racing looks sorta me-ish, plus it's half the price of Mario Kart even if I get a physical copy. And maybe Mario Party for mini-game multiplayer type stuff.

Bluie
Post Posted: Feb 08, 2019 10:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Hollow Knight does have a story, but it's revealed through exploration and talking to NPCs rather than everything being spelled out for you. Imo, it's that mysterious feeling that helps you go forward, wanting to find out more and strike down whoever gets in your way.