* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Nov 25, 2020 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Anonymous Fish
  Post subject: Pokemon X question
Post Posted: Feb 09, 2019 2:57 am 
Anonymous Fish

Hey, so I bought my first ever Pokemon game, and my friend who convinced me to buy it told me that since I'm right at the start I should go 'shiny hunt' the starters or something. And I was kinda interested at the shiny Pokemon thing so I did a little research and turns out they were rare. So I've seen some videos of other people and as I observed you get to see if it's a shiny after the battle with Shauna and since I'm lazy I want to know if you get to see if it's a shiny while naming it (since there's that little sprite thingy of the Pokemon on the top left) or if you can just check the pokemon's summary and check if it's a shiny instead of battling.
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read!

Lenna36
  Post subject: Re: Pokemon X question
Post Posted: Feb 09, 2019 3:36 am 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

They're very rare. So it's best to prepare yourself for a lot of soft resetting right off the bat. You'll be up against the full odds.

The sprite doesn't change, but the game model does after the starter selection screen. I think there's a moment when you could access the game menu and check your starter's summary before the Shauna battle. That will reveal if you have a shiny. Though, I'm going off what I found off the internet at the moment. :/

There are more experienced shiny hunters hanging around here. So, they may have more tips for you. :)

greensara
Post Posted: Feb 09, 2019 8:49 am 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

The "easiest" way to get shinies in my experience, other than through trades, and in the Ultra Sun & Moon wormhole, is through breeding, but it takes forever, I've personally only got two shiny babies that way myself. I've always been too impatient to reset that many times, but you can see how some people have done that on legends and such on YouTube. You can accidentally find shinies in wild encounters, or horde battles, more so after you get the shiny charm, though I have only had that happen in Alpha Sapphire. My husband on the other hand seems to encounter them left and right in the wild in Moon, but I think that's just luck. :P Good luck and happy hunting!

Bluie
Post Posted: Feb 09, 2019 10:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Actually, since they're playing X, the easiest way to get shinies in gen 6, is chain fishing. It's easy to set up and has a high success rate. There's a really good guide to it right here:

https://www.thonky.com/pokemon-x-y/chain-fishing

Once you get the hang of it or find a sweet spot, you can reel in a lot. I got 7+ shinies via chain fishing before I moved onto breeding.