No
You may select 1 option

View results
Bluie
  Post subject: Re: Pokemon Direct announced
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 4:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Because i'm a moron and completely misread Kiki's question (I read it before work, and then came back, answering before reading it again), here's my answer on actual Pokemon typing, not my taste in games LOL.

Normal type for me 1, because they're usually more vulnerable (giving more of a challenge in certain area) and 2, their typing has the cutest designs imo. I also generally gravitate towards Pokemon who's can't evolve (again, for more of a challenge) and Normal type has plenty. Ditto, Dunsparce, Taurus, Stantler, Spinda - this this could keep going.

My favorite Pokemon of all time is Meowth (I love beckoning cats in RL), and no surprise it's a normal type (ignoring it's Aloan version). When I play a Pokemon game, I try to make my team primarily normal, while keeping my starter. On second playthroughs, I usually do duo or single Pokemon runs for a challenge. The last time I did that, I did a Phione and Rotom (neither are normal type lol - I just chose them because they can't evolve) run in Omega Ruby, and it was a fun challenge.

Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 4:10 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Evolution is one of the things in Pokemon that puts me off. The pokemon tend to look best to me in their unevolved form. So that I'd have to evolve them into something more beastly to make them more powerful is...not appealing, to me. I like them to look like cute baby-things. Unless they evolve into something gorgeous, beautiful or magestic, which is great. But so often it seems like they just get less cute. Looking at a list of Pokemon and what they can evolve into has been one of the things that has always put me off trying the game, because I know I would want to evolve them to make them stronger since I always try to maximize my effectiveness in games in every way...I just can't help myself...but at the same time, I'd feel less fond of them when I suddenly didn't find them visually appealing anymore, lol.

EDIT: Today is my first day to learn that Pokemon have gender...apparently each Pokemon has a percentage of likelihood towards being male or female? Does a Pokemon's gender have any influence on anything?

Bluie
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 4:53 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... ifferences

That should explain it better than I could.

Edit: this one too

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gender

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 8:55 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

@Kikki: If you’re ever interested in trying out a Pokémon game, a solution to the evolution thing is my friend has two of most Pokemon that they like. One to solely evolve to complete the Pokédex and the other to keep in its ‘baby’ form. Once they evolve the one sometimes he releases it back to the wild or he finds that hes grown attached and keeps it. Another thing he does is he just captures the evolved forms and releases them right away and just keeps the starter form; that way he doesn’t have to go through the grinding to evolve it. ALSO you can prevent your Pokemon from ever evolving 1 by having it hold an everstone (keeps it from evolving as long as it’s holding the stone) or 2 when it tries to evolve you rapidly push the ‘B’ button and it’ll stop evolving until it levels up again.

Just some things to keep in mind if you want to try. :)

Lenna36
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 9:00 am 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

^I was going to suggest breeding them. That way there could be a bunch of cute little baby mons. :)

Ehppy
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 9:04 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

I kinda disappeared from the board yesterday, whoops. I went to bed after one in the morning the night before, and woke myself up at 5:15 to catch the direct, so I kind of crashed after chatting for a bit. :lol:

Kikki wrote:
Spoiler:
I saw your name on the board for an extended period and just knew you were typing up a big response Ehppy :)

The tail and paws in particular made me think Grookey was a monkey, but looking at the head I honestly thought it was a tropical bird, like a parrot, lol.

It's just weird to me that the comments I saw on Let's Go were overwhelmingly negative (this is back at reveal), and now that Sword/Shield has been revealed to be exactly what they were complaining Let's Go was not, it's still overwhelmingly negative complaints in some places. I don't get it. It must just be the nature of these sites or something, that it's largely the complainers that speak up. Those who are happy must just enjoy the news silently or something.

Honestly, what for me would make this game awesome is NOT a series tradition, so I'm not actually going to wish for it...I don't want to change the game from what is loved so that it becomes a game that more squarely hits my super-niche tastes. But the one thing that would sell me right away is if this game has a significant story. I know that's not what Pokemon is about though...it's not a story-driven series. Still, this one looks awfully pretty to me, so it may end up being the first one I actually buy. If they have a demo, I can at least guarantee I'll be trying that.

I hope this ends up being another runaway hit for the Switch, anyway. :)

Spoiler:
:lol: Hahah sorry about that. I was definitely running on two cups of coffee, three hours of sleep, and 100% pure pokemon hype at the time.
I see what you mean about the parrot thing! lol he almost looks like he could have a beak, too.

Let's Go did stir up a fair bit of drama. :lol: I think Let's Go was made to be sort of an introducer to the series for younger kids and people who've played Go on mobile, but maybe not an actual console pokemon game yet. As such some of the features and mechanics more matched Go than other pokemon games, and also it was more beginner friendly. That's not to say older fans couldn't play it and have fun, and obviously, with an actual mainline pokemon game announced and around the corner, it shouldn't have riled people up so much in theory. Let's Go was advertised as friendly to newcomers while still presenting a challenge for hardcore veterans of the series. From what I saw, some people really clung to that wording, and took it to mean this game was made to appeal to hardcore pokemon fans, when that maybe wasn't their main objective. Ehhh, I don't know if that covers the entirety of people's outrage, but that's what I witnessed on my twitter feed at least. :lol: Drama aside, I thought Let's Go was really cute and charming. There's definitely a needy side of the pokemon fanbase that may never be pleased, and you're right that we're kind of in a lucky bubble where people are civil about it, even when they disagree. :) Some sites are... less than nice places to go to talk Pokemon.

Also agree that while not a series staple, I'd love to see an expanded story! It's never been a heavy focus, you're right. But maybe now that they're bringing pokemon to a home console (handheld.. hybrid... Well I still think of it as a home console), they'll give the story the scope and scale of a home console RPG! (Just let us skip cutscenes because some people were really unhappy with the cutscenes in Sun and Moon, hahah.)

I think they've done demos for the last couple of games, so hopefully you'll get a chance to try it out!

I love reading about everyone's favorite pokemon and types. It's one of my favorite things about the series, how everyone's got their own tastes and reasons. :)

Also here's something interesting that is maybe obvious and I should have known before, but I didn't, so I'm sharing.
I was trying to figure out Grookey's name. Scorbunny seemed straightforward; A combination of Scorch and Bunny. Sobble is sob and bubble, but Grookey I was like... Grass... Root... Monkey? But apparently it's a combo of Groovy and Monkey! Word wise that seems obvious, but I wasn't sure where the "groovy" element entered in. But Bulbapedia lists Grookey's name in other languages, and they've all got some sort of element of sound, or rhythm.

Quotes from Bulbapedia, "Sarunori may be a combination of 猿 saru (monkey) and ノリ nori (excitement, rhythm)."
His french name is Ouistempo.
His german name is Chimpep.
I just thought this was really cute, and also might give us some insight into what future evos might look like, or what theme they might incorporate!
Can y'all tell that I am really excited for Grookey? I aready drew him yesterday morning and I'll definitely be doing some more doodles in the near future.

@Kikki
I know what you mean about pokemon getting less cute as they evolve! I actually like a lot of pokemons evoluton lines, but some not as much. Whenever I get a squirtle on my team, I evolve them to wartortle, but I never let them evolve all the way to blastoise. I just think wartortle is so much cuter. :heart:
Not evolving pokemon will definitely put them at a stat disadvantage, but most pokemon also learn moves faster when they're in their base form, so there is at least a little tradeoff. At least I think that's true. I know it is for the starters usually.

I am also planning to attempt going news dark until release, which for the pokemon series is extremely hard. For Sun and Moon's pre-release period, I had images disabled on twitter and youtube, and blacklisted pokemon and tumblr, and I still got spoiled. I need an attack plan. I just don't want to know the whole dex before the game comes out. I;d much rather explore and meet new pokemon in the wild, not on the internet.

Kikki
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 10:48 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

You might have to entirely avoid Twitter (or at least unfollow everything that isn't a friend of yours and block all terms related to Pokemon on top of that) and most other social media to avoid Pokemon details for that long. And probably cast a wary eye at the Announcements thread. Though hopefully we'll remember to use spoiler tags if we discuss any actual information rather than just sharing links to information.

Ha ha...I think I'm one of the very last people on FOGU you'd ever need to apologize to for writing a long comment, Ehppy. :)

I saw some pokemon with beautiful evolutions. Solgaleo's is handsome. Flabebe's is lovely. Cottonee stays really cute, and Vulpix is great no matter what. I also saw some other great ones, ones shaped like deer, one shaped like a flowing white lady...beautiful. But there are at least as many or more that just look more brutish, gnarly and monster-like to me when they evolve. If I did play, I think I'd have to stick with ones that I could evolve and still think they look great, heh.

Lenna36
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 11:17 am 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

@Kikki, I agree with Vulpix! :)

There are only six of them on a team. So you don't have to look at the brutish ones all the time. If it means anything, I follow the same type of thought process when building my team. XD

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

This is only sort of on topic but...look at these. :heart: SO CUTE. « Harvest Goddess » these people are so talented.

Celestrian
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 1:31 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I'm a water type person mainly but I branch out here and there. Can't wait to see the shiny colors of these guys!

Pachi
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 4:40 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Lenna36 wrote:
@Kikki, I agree with Vulpix! :)

There are only six of them on a team. So you don't have to look at the brutish ones all the time. If it means anything, I follow the same type of thought process when building my team. XD

Yeah! Most of the time, the brutish one in my party is only my starter

Blue Rose
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Ghost types are my jam and jelly. :heart: :washu:

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

This probably makes me odd but I don't actually have a favorite type of Pokemon. I'm not sure I even have a grasp on my poke-aesthetic?

Though I think I have decided on Sobble (finally). I rewatched the Sword/Shield trailer and the whole disappearing act reminds me of Kecleon...and Kecleon is one of my favorites. <3 Can't decide which one is cuter though.

Lin
Post Posted: Mar 11, 2019 1:41 am 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

I'm gonna have to wait to see the evolutions before I pick. Also Kiki I haven't read whole topic but in terms of the main storyline usually you can get away with playing however you want, so if you want to keep their baby forms the whole game that's feasible (since you can stop the evolution either by pressing a button or letting them hold an item). It's more when you get into fighting other players that it starts to matter I think lol... plus playing this way might be fun, gives you extra challenge!