* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Nov 25, 2020 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Bluie
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 4:07 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

We've had favourite games topics in the past, but I thought this'd be a fun remix of that. Are there any series in particular that you all enjoy so much that you don't (or hardly ever) miss a new title? Or is there are series you're really into despite not being able to play it? ectect, you catch my drift~

While I feel my tastes have really changed through the years, there's a few series I always get into asap. The first of which is Fire Emblem. I've played every handheld entry to date (even the unlocalized titles - bless the fan translations!), and i'd love to play the localized console duology, providing Nintendo either makes them available as download titles on Switch or remakes them down the line (the same can be said for the famicom duology that was never localized!). I'm very, very excited for Three Houses in a few months. I averaged over 300 hours in each in every 3DS Fire Emblem game, and i'd love to do it all over again!

Another series that I love (and that i'm pretty vocal about around here...) is Atelier. Due to the series not being picked up for localization until 2004, I'm upset that I missed out on so many titles in the series, but I still love it all the same. It has become one of those 'yearly release' series, but I genuinely enjoy every title. They're relaxing and have a lot of thought put into them, making them very captivating. I hope there's many more entries to come, because i'd be really upset if the series suddenly ended!

And speaking of series that have 'ended', there's two niche series that i'm really into that are just kinda...dead. The Toukiden series really hit a sweet spot with me. I loved the aesthetics + the gameplay was really solid. Even with the second entry being a bit shaky in areas, it was still a blast, and I am dying for a new entry. The creators have said they want to make a 3rd entry, so i'm patiently waiting.

But compared to that, the second 'dead' series I like is really, really dead. It's been 10 years since the last Marl's Kingdom and 11 years since the last localized title...which was just a poor port of the first game. No one was willing to localize this series past the first title, and that's a real shame, because it's such a gem! I'd give anything for the first three games (a full trilogy) to get remastered or re-released. The 4th entry too! Doomed to die on the PSP and never find it's way out of Japan... *sniffle*

So, those are my favourite video game series. What are yours?

Anonymous Fish
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 5:33 pm 
Anonymous Fish

I have so many :lol: spoiler cut bc wall of text

Spoiler:
Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons. I guess this is a given, yeah? Though I've only played 5 games from the series, I always look forward to new ones. SoS Switch when???

Pokemon. This game started everything lol. I first learned of Pokemon when a classmate way back in 5th grade brought their gameboy to school, and that made me want one too :lol: I thought I would stop with BW2 since I didn't have a 3DS, but when they announced ORAS, that made me buy the console because Hoenn was my favorite region. I've played every gen, but I'm afraid I might be growing up D: I haven't finished the postgame in Sun so I only have ~40hrs in that one, compared to my usual ~80-100hrs, and I didn't bother getting Ultra Sun/Moon too. I'm definitely interested with Sword/Shield, but not as much that I would want to buy a Switch for it (for now).

I've also played spin-offs like Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Quest (I got so far with that one, but I had to give up my iPad :c).

Final Fantasy. The turn-based ones only though, which were sadly old games so I've kinda fallen out of this series. But, if they make a turn-based one, I'd gladly jump back into it. I really can't deal with active time battle; I like to think things through lol. I've played IV, VI, and the Four Heroes of Light. VI is definitely my favorite game of all time.

Bravely. My newest favorite! I would rank it up there with FFVI. I had SO much fun with Default and Second. Figuring out which jobs to use in each boss fight/dungeon was a blast. Love the cast as well. Now, Bravely Third would certainly make me buy a Switch, though it's another when?? game hahahuhu

Golden Sun. This series is a gem. Seriously. I love the gameplay and how the dungeons are a big puzzle where you have to use psynergy to get through. It's such a shame the last game was released way back in 2010 and there hasn't been any news since. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 4th game. Camelot pls

Professor Layton. One of my resident relaxing games for when I don't want to deal with fighting. Every game is so charming and I love the OSTs as well. The stories are very heartwarming too. I've played all mainline games sans Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy. I've also tried Mystery Room on Android.

I also have many quick small game series that I keep an eye on: Magical Girl and To The Moon. Magical Girl is an otome game series by batensan. So far I think they have made 2-3? They were all lovely games with lovely art. I'm still waiting for them to release their latest one, although it's been years since they put up the demo. Ah well we don't have the right to complain because the games are free and everyone has their own real life stuff to do. Meanwhile, To The Moon series has two games and a couple of mini games/comics in between. What makes it stand out are the stories which tug your heartstrings T_T

The next few series are the ones I've played many games of but they don't excite me as much as the ones above. They're more like, "I'll get them when I'm bored" games.

Phoenix Wright. I've played every game that has been localized, and each one of them was a crazy rollercoaster ride. I play them when I'm not in a jrpg mood.

Shin Megami Tensei. So far, I've played the two Devil Survivors and SMT IV and Apocalypse. Though I enjoy them both, I think the main difference between the two is that I can replay DeSu, while I'm satisfied with just one playthrough of SMT (and just watch the rest of the endings on Youtube). The dungeon crawling and heavy story kinda take a toll on me lol

Fire Emblem. I enjoyed Awakening and Fates a lot, and even had multiple playthroughs. I averaged about 300hrs on Fates haha. If I'm on a tactic game mood, I pop them in. Even so, I'm not sure myself why I'm not too gung ho with Echoes. I might buy it if I get bored with the first two (a big might though).

Pachi
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 5:34 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

^ Oops that was me. I didn't realize I was logged out lol

Edit: adding a short answer ver :)

- Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
- Pokemon
- Final Fantasy
- Bravely
- Golden Sun
- Professor Layton
- Magical Girl
- To The Moon

Last edited by Pachi on Mar 25, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikki
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 6:01 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Short answer:
    Legend of Zelda
    Bokumono
    Rune Factory
    Animal Crossing
    Dragon Quest Builders
    Tales of
    Persona
    Ace Attorney
    Legend of Heroes
    Xenoblade Chronicles

Looooong answer:
Spoiler:
Well my first one can be first because it's pretty standard. Legend of Zelda. Though I don't like all the games! Of more recent stuff, I couldn't get into Link Between Worlds, and I doubt I'll be getting the reboot of Link's Awakening at all, even though it's cute. I seem to like every other game...the ones that are more immersive...have bigger worlds and bigger stories and don't use a top-down view (from-the-sky viewpoint makes me feel like I'm just watching the hero do his thing rather than being in the world right there WITH him.) Ocarina of Time (3D) was the first dedicated console game I played that really turned me into a gamer, and I hunted down Twilight Princess immediately afterwards, and from then on I was a LoZ devotee. Breath of the Wild was no let down!

And of course, as everyone here no doubt knows...Bokujou Monogatari. It hits so many of my top favourite gaming elements. (Not to mention having Sanjay, my single most influential game-character love of all time. Like being struck by lightning!) Building, farming, sometimes repairing towns or luring the residents back, character and home customization, crafting, making money, and massive multitasking that lets my inner min-maxer loose and gives her plenty to work with so she doesn't get bored quickly. Rune Factory fits in here as well, though it also adds in combat and excellent crafting. As an add on, I will quickly mention Animal Crossing here, as well. It doesn't need a paragraph of its own...it's almost too simple to expand upon, but I get to make my own town, and it's the only real-time game I play, which gives it a special feel. :) Dragon Quest Builders can go here as well. One game was all it took to make this series (now that we know we're getting a second game localized) a favourite...I hope the Builder games never end. All of these games fit together for me because they're customizable life-sims in one way or another. It feels like living a fantasy life. You can make your world any shape you want. I can't get enough of that.

The Tales series also only gets an honorable mention, because in truth, only Xillia and its sequel have been favourites of mine, so much so that it made it impossible for me not to hang my hopes on every new game on the horizon for this series. Zestiria and Berseria were quite enjoyable, and Vesperia pretty good, but none of them favourites.

Persona has become another favourite series by virtue of both P4G and P5 being games I couldn't put down once I picked them up...not until the game was finished. I love being driven to drop everything else to finish a game. But this is another odd one, as I do love P4G and P5, and yet, I can't really call them favourites. Unlike my other favourites, I don't yearn to replay them, and I don't look back on the characters with fondness. They were just so much fun in the moment that it was just...I don't know. But I really look forward to P6!

Ace Attorney is another big fave. That series hasn't had a single game I haven't loved, which makes it unique among my favourite series. It's so funny, and yet it turns surprisingly deep, and I love the courtroom cases. It fakes left, then fakes right, then starts darting back in the opposite direction several times before finally shooting for the goal from all the way on the other end of the rink! Even when I can see the general shape of the case, it very often makes me doubt how we can possibly prove it. It's just so much pure fun, for me, mixed in with characters I completely fall for. To this day, Ema x Klavier is my favourite fandom pairing in the world.

Then there is the Legend of Heroes (Trails) series. Cold Steel is definitely my favourite, but Sky was very good, too. Huge stories, and a big world with more lore than you can shake a stick at. I love the characters and the dialogue and in Cold Steel at least, I even love the combat system (more in II than in the first CS.) These games actually made me cry. A LOT. Which is quite weird for me. I'm more moved by tales of friendship than romance most of the time, and they feel like they're more rare. Cold Steel has been one long epic ode to friendship, with some thought-provoking themes of showing understanding and having a broad view. I just love it. :)

And lastly, because it may be mostly, would be Xenoblade. The minute I finished Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time, I started it again. That's the only time I've ever done that before. I loved that story so much, I'm not sure how to describe it. And the world felt so unique. The combat was really interesting, too...a palatable sort of challenging, with so many ways to customize via gem slots. That it had no easy mode didn't matter, because you could always maximize your agility and use haste gems and it was like an easy mode had magically been applied. Funny thing...I didn't like all the characters. And yet, I wanted to know more about them all and cared about what happened to them. Admittedly I only liked XC2 (not loved), but I do also have a massive love of Xenoblade Chronicles X. Best exploration game ever. Best WORLD ever. It was just so beautiful, and had so many things to discover...I still haven't gotten to the end of them. Well, I suppose it probably ties with BotW, but for such different reasons that it's hard to compare them.

And I've now talked so long that it might be illegal, so I'll stop :) I think I got them all.
And for a sort-of series that 'ended'...Fantasy Life. It had one entry on 3DS, and currently has a mobile game in Japan (blech...though I'd try it anyway, if it were available in English) and I really wanted another. The story was silly kid stuff, tbh, and the worst soundtrack ever, but the gameplay was so fun. Owning four homes you could craft all the contents for yourself, hunter-gathering, and all those 'lives' and so many levels of mastery. And it probably would have gotten better.

Last edited by Kikki on Mar 25, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinnamon_yuki
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 12:51 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

My favorite video game series would be:
1. BokuMono - farming + romance
2. Dragon Age - fantasy + character creation + player agency :heart:
3. Ace Attorney - love the cast of CHARACTERS and story.

I really can't say that I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem series since I only played Fates and Awakening but I do plan to get Three Houses on Day 1. Same with Persona, only played P3P and P4G but I do love the concepts.

FoolishGhoul
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

1. Legend of Zelda is the biggest and my top fave. Only game I've spent the time to research lore on. Will literally die for this series
2. Pokemon. I quit for a while when I wanted to be too old for the series and then I realized being an adult was dumb and caught up my senior year of HS and kept up since
3. SoS. Was HM before the split and I havent been huge into the newer HM titles. But I do always get the new installments even if I'm a bit iffy on them

That's about it for the most part? Most other series I'll just skip if it doesnt look good. I want to add FE but I've only been playing since awakening

ryume
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

In no particular order...

Final Fantasy - I played the original when it came out on the NES and haven't stopped. I even played that ridiculous FF Mystic Quest. The only ones I've missed are primarily handheld spin offs like Revenant Wings/CC/Chocobo, etc, and FFXIV cuz MMORPG (but I did play FFXI for a few years, ugh). Even through all the changes, I've been playing the series so long that it's impossible for me not to be BURNING with curiosity whenever a new flagship title is released, thus driving me to buy it.

The Legend of Zelda - As with FF, I started with the original on NES and have only missed a select few handheld entries, and ALL the 4 Swords stuff. Link originally was left-handed which they apparently changed initially due to motion controls on the Wii, and then left it that way in BoTW who knows why. It made me really sad because I'm also a lefty, but oh well. He's still my all time favorite video game character, head and shoulders above the rest, even when his hair is purple like it was in LTTP. I even bought Hyrule Warriors because, well, LINK!

Super Mario - Brothers, World, Galaxy, Land, Whatever... - Always a classic, nearly always well done, and yet another one I grew up with. QBert on Atari is the first console game I remember actually playing, but Mario is the one that really started it all for me.

Pumpkin Queen
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

My top personal favorites would be Harvest Moon and Legend of Zelda. I've also been very fond of the Metroid and Castlevania series, with a big shout-out to Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 8:20 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Aside from Rune Factory and Harvest Moon because obvious, here are my personal favorite series:

Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
The Legend of Zelda

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 8:29 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

- Legend of Zelda
I've played all but Zelda 2 and beaten MOST of what I've started. Zelda is also the only game I've gone for a midnight release of a game. TP, Walmart '06, what what. :lol: More than that aside from the Hobbit, Zelda defined my idea of fantasy as a kid. I latched onto it pretty hard.
- 3D Mario
- Metroid Prime
Never did go back for the side scrolling installments...
- Animal Crossing
- Bokumono
- Professor Layton
This is a little complicated...I love the old games to bits, though I haven't played the new one as I've heard it kind of...bungles the formula a bit. :\ Maybe that's the fault of it being mobile first.

Except for Layton all of these are my childhood. There's an element of nostaliga goggles, but I like some newer entries as well as older ones so...it's not exclusive.

And if I'm allowed to throw I'd-play-that-sequel in...did...anybody else...play the Neopets PS2 game back in the day? I only ever knew about it from a fellow Neopets fanatic and aside from the ending (the game kind of tanks at the end) it was pretty good! I enjoyed it, and it made me (as a fan who beat Neoquest :shifty: ) happy.

Kikki
Post Posted: Mar 26, 2019 4:01 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Okay, Bluie said something interesting earlier, so now I've got a question for you guys. How well does your 'favourite games of all time' list match up with your 'favourite series' list? What I mean is...if you love, say, LoZ, Animal Crossing, and Ace Attorney most...does your fave games of all time list contain Twilight Princess, New Leaf, and Dual Destinies?

I've come to realize that 'favourite games' and 'favourite series' aren't the same thing. Persona is one of my favourite series...but there isn't a single Persona game on my 'favourite games of all time' list. Even more...I looooove the Ace Attorney series, but it is as a series that I love it. If that makes sense. AA4 (Apollo Justice) is my favourite of the Ace Attorney series, but even if doesn't make my 'top favourite games of all time' list. (To me a favourite game and an all time favourite game are on different levels.)

I'm not sure how this winds up being true. But I choose my top favourite games of all time by how big of an impact they had on me...basically, if playing it feels like it changed my life, in however small a way...if it makes me feel like I'd be a slightly different person, if I had never played it. No single Persona or Ace Attorney game has done that for me...it takes the games as a series to add up to a favourite. Even Animal Crossing wouldn't have a game on my all-time favourite individual games list.

Don't know if I said that in a way that makes sense, but if it did...how about you guys? Do your lists match up?

Bluie
Post Posted: Mar 26, 2019 4:16 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

My favourite games of all time are a seperate entity from my favourite series list. While there is an Atelier and a Marl's Kingdom title in my top favourite games, the rest of them are various titles i've played over the years that I fell in love with.

My Favourite series are something like 'I like this, more please' while my favourite games fill me with nostalgia, having an overall deeper impact on me. I reply Final Fantasy IX every year because I love it so much, but I have no desire to replay the two Toukiden games again, i'd much rather just have another one instead.

Does that make sense?

Kikki
Post Posted: Mar 26, 2019 4:37 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yeah, it makes sense. My way of thinking is that a person's list of favourite series is probably about simply finding that the series consistently produces games they enjoy. But a 'favourite games of all time' list is a little more serious. I mean, my list (of all-time faves) is full of games that had a big impact on me and in some way feel like they became a part of who I am. Thousands of hours of my life (probably literally tens of thousands) have been eaten by gaming because of Twilight Princess, because it (and OoT as the stepping stone to Twilight Princess) is what awakened my intense desire for moooooore games, and made Link probably my favourite hero forever, full stop. If I hadn't played Ocarina, I would never have turned into a full-on console gamer at all, I would have stayed as a dabbler who only just 'liked' games (which I can thank the King's Quest series from my childhood for. It's a loooong defunct PC series that will always have an honorary place on my lists.)

Sometimes fave series and fave individual games do match up, as LoZ does keep producing games I really love...OoT, TP, Skyward Sword, BotW...so it became a favorite series as well. But I am finding that the more I think about it, having a favourite series doesn't necessarily mean any of the games in it are on that level of importance to you. It just means they tend to produce the kind of game you like. If an all-time favourite game is part of a series, there's a good chance that that series will become one of your favourites, imo, but I don't think the same is true in reverse. I wondered if experiences here would support my view or not.

EDIT: Oh, as a little inclusion to my favourite series list...if Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is good, then Ys is gonna get added to mine, because Ys VIII was really good, and though I've yet to get very far into it, I'm pretty sure Ys SEVEN is good, too. (Kikki just isn't backwards compatible, lol. Once a game looks aged, I have a hard time getting into it.)

Sanne
Post Posted: Mar 26, 2019 8:11 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

The Rune Factory series is my absolute fave, but other than that;

- The Legend of Zelda will always hold a very special place in my heart. Ocarina of Time was my first game ever and Majora's Mask is in my top 3 favourite games ever.

- I had a hard time getting into Monster Hunter at first, but once it clicked with my precious light bowgun I fell in love.

- Style Boutique/Style Savvy is a big fave because I love dressing up virtual characters. The last game was cute and I hope they'll announce a switch sequel soon.

Some replies! (spoilered because I don't want to make this post too long)
Spoiler:
Mikodesu wrote:
Neopets Ps2

I remember wanting to play it real bad back when I was younger. Finding out it was NA only was disappointing. Thanks for reminding me it exists! I'm gonna look up some gameplay video's later.

Bluie wrote:
Marl Kingdom

wow Rhapsody was so good?????? I loved the atmosphere and am kinda sad they didn't translate the other games in the series.

Kikki
Post Posted: Mar 26, 2019 8:43 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Sanne wrote:
I remember wanting to play it real bad back when I was younger. Finding out it was NA only was disappointing. Thanks for reminding me it exists! I'm gonna look up some gameplay video's later.

This is off topic, but...maybe you'd like to try Dappervolk when it releases. I considered backing it when it was in Kickstarter but ended up backing out because I realized I hadn't even liked Neopets enough that I'd have put any money into it. (I did play it a decent amount, I just wasn't very invested in it.) Dappervolk is Neopets-inspired and has been through lots of testing already and is due for full release in the next three or four months.