My Time At Portia ~ Player Discussion and Questions

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yeah, on PC it’s nothing special at all. I think I will save it to be the absolute last thing I do as well. I do think it’s honestly kind of refreshing that they have the divorce system/ability to have kids with others.

Also, if you ever plan a party, don’t give out invites to match the exact number of seats if you’re married and want your spouse to have a seat at the table. Reason being that if you’re married, your spouse will come to the party whether you give them an invite or not. Mint asked me for a birthday party, so I obliged, but I gave out 10 invites to others, but not to Mint because I knew he would come. So he ended up standing outside the gate of the yard after the party started because there was nowhere for him to sit. I had to run and buy another table because since it was a quest, I wasn’t sure if I would fail it or not and I REALLY didn’t feel like re-doing the day :lol:
quigley
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Congrats on finishing, Kikki! How does it feel? Are you sad at all that it's over?

@ryume: Wow, good to know. That's really funny. xD
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks :) No, actually, I'm happy to have completed it. It was becoming burdensome, for me, and there are other games I'd rather be playing, at this point. I had great fun in the first half...it was downright addictive...but in the second half, finishing the game came to feel like a duty. I'd have little spurts of fun when the story started rolling at a good pace without saddling me with endless making of the same pieces, or if I had really good luck in the mines or something, but in the latter half of the game, I found it more chore-like than fun, tbh.

You do so much in every day that the continual concern that the game might crash and I'd lose everything and have to repeat it all definitely contributed to that onerous feeling. Oh and just for the record...I never did get my Kickstarter backer bonuses. :/

THough now that the main story is done and I don't have any huge building projects to make three thousand carbon steel bars for, it may be fun to occasionally play just to upgrade my house or find, assemble and donate more relics...stuff like that, just at my own choice rather than because I need to do it to progress.
Samansu
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Congratulation on finishing Kikki! Hate that it became a bit of a chore in the end, and especially hate that you didn't get you backer bonus! :x Is there still hope you will get it? I hate when that kind of thing happens! :(
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think they still haven't figured out HOW to give console backers their exclusive in-game items. They're probably still trying (Pathea DOES seem to try hard)...the problem is that they made these promises without any knowledge of how to actually make them become reality. They know how to make these things work on PC, but not on console...they're not sure how to GIVE us the items. They're exclusive, so they can't be added as DLC for anybody to buy, and they're free to backers, not purchased...I think they're just so far unable to think of how to do it. At this point I don't even care any more, and I bet others are the same, this late in the game. (Pun not intended, though it does work, doesn't it?) Though the exclusive pet (that PC backers do actually have) is pretty cute.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Are the items the same as the little bit of DLC I bought for the game? If so, if it makes you feel better, the items are very quickly outdated in terms of the clothing, and the other items are purely decorative. It doesn’t help when a company doesn’t deliver on what you rightfully paid for, but maybe it can ease the sting a bit.

Somehow I missed that you finished Portia, so big time congratulations on your achievement, Kikki! :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks :) Maybe it'll stop crashing and the last tiny bit (that I even already have all the materials prepared for!) will finally trigger, but the main ending is complete so I'm calling it DONE. :)

The exclusive pet doesn't go out of date, though...and if you like the *look* of the exclusive clothing you can always update them to whatever stats you have on higher grade clothing, so it'd still be nice to be able to collect all the options, including the exclusive stuff we pledged for.

I get that they don't know what they're doing...but...that's not really the best excuse in the world, lol. They've made promises they simply can't keep, because they never knew HOW to keep them. They keep describing themselves as an ambitious company but I think being more ambitious than you can keep up with is just...stupid? Sounds harsh, but I do think they're a bit foolish, as a company, at this point. Them continually not knowing how to live up to what they say they'll do is not inspiring my confidence.

This is the exclusive pet, btw, Yoyo:

Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's a cute sandshrew guy!

Well Ingall's Mine is definitely broked...3 tries, 3 crashes. On different floors - at least last nite's one was floor 1 instead of 4. I need that level 3 for sapphire farming (or maybe level 4).

I'm about done with this game, WoW patch is next week. It was fun and frustrating - hope they perfect this game someday. They'll lose me to Rune Factory 5 anyway but this is going to be an unfortunate loss of a dissatisfied customer. Oh well.
Ehppy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Ohh that's frustrating that you never got your backer rewards, Kikki. :(
The developers really did get in over their heads on so many fronts. And that pet is so cute, too!

And sorry about all the trouble you've been having, Murasaki.
It's such a shame. It's a really fun game but it's very much so held back by all the bugs and issues. ;-;

I'm nearing the end of the first season, and I've been really lucky I think, with only one real bug to speak of. After I bought an upgrade for the worktable, the notification "gols -2000" never went away. After some googling, I only found one mention of someone in a similar situation, and they fixed it by entering an area I don't think I have access to yet. Nothing I tried managed to get it to go away, so I decided to shut off the game without saving and redo the day later. I was a bit paranoid it would save and then I'd never get rid of the darn thing. P:
No crashes though, which is what I was most afraid of. That may just be because I'm early on, but hoping I continue to have as much luck.

Just some blogging/rambling about the game
Spoiler:
Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing. I'm still having a lot of fun, though I wonder if I'm taking a bit too leisurely a pace and it might come back to haunt me later. Not sure.
I've also made a backstory for my character, Gnome, and she's quickly becoming her own person entirely, lol. It's something I love doing in sim type games, and it's provided a lot of interesting and funny moments, viewing the story events and NPC interactions through the context of her character. :) I'm working on drawing her, as well. I'm a bit too attached lmao

And I still don't even have one heart with any of the townsfolk. I wonder if that's something I should focus on more. On one hand, I don't mind taking it slow right now. On the other, I may feel differently when I'm on year three and still not married. :lol:
Ohhh and I just found that the characters bios are unlocked as you get to know them. I think that's really cool! There are quite a few interesting features in this game that I'm really digging.

My sister has started playing, too, which is always fun. :) Some of my fondest gaming memories are just chatting about and playing games alongside my sisters.
It's funny watching her play. She plays her character like the rowdiest person around, challenging everyone she meets to duels and randomly punching and kicking her way down the streets. And climbing EVERYTHING. We both kind of love just climbing stuff in this game. So cool to be able to see the world from so high up!
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Ehppy, I’m so happy you and your sister are loving the game! I felt like getting heart levels up was incredibly slow for the first 3 or so hearts in Portia, even slower than building up affection levels in SoS/RF games. After 3 or 4, it just got easier and easier because of NPC associations - I gain a level with Arlo, I got lots of relationship points for everyone in his inner circle.

As for WHEN to get married, I couldn’t tell ya haha. I MIGHT say level up some people sooner than others because some of the relationship perks are SUPER helpful as you increase their level (Gust = decreased prices in the construction shop, Gale = decreased property buying prices, Arlo = increased critical attack chances, some of the NPC’s that have shops you frequent, except the furniture guy; he gives NOTHING for relationship perks lol).
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hooray, got around the glitch. Went to Ingall's first thing in the morning after a cold start and beat level 3 Finally. No sapphires but the persistent crash in there didn't happen. /phew.

Guess I gotta fill my yard with crystal trees in this file too for sapphires. Dumb titanium plates!
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

No crashes for me last night...yay. I did, however, have almost unbearable lag when I went back thru WOW Industries to get the air conditioner for Albert. That was quite unpleasant! I hope I don't run into that in the other "dungeons". Fighting enemies in extreme slow motion is quite annoying.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

At least if you're working on titanium plates, you must be at the very end of the game, no? You got really far in considering that you probably had the most bugs/crashes of anyone I know, Murasaki (and most of us had a decent share.)
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I'm nothing but stubborn and persistent. lmao

I "beat" the game on my first file - that didn't have anywhere near the amount of bugs since the .4 patch. I thought I'd start a new file since it was "fixed"...not. But since I already knew what to do, it was quicker to the end. Even with the numerous crashes.

One Big mistake making my new char - with all the customization options, I got purple hair. Pa showed up with a purple beard and mustache...not a good look.

ps. I was bemoaning the lack of sapphires so planted like 3 more crystal trees then I found a big stack in my factory storage. Yeah, the split inventory is the pits. You can add more of the same items to the factory easier since the patch but work table can't see what's in that inventory. Lousy system.
Last edited by Murasaki on Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I had accumulated quite a bit of gols, so last night I bought more land (80,000 gols) and the Factory (50,000 gols). Kinda poor now.
I wish we didn't HAVE to get the Factory in order to "complete" the game. It seems like such a waste since, at that point in the game, you really don't need to mass produce much at all. It would have been much more useful to have that capability when we needed sooooooo many carbon steel bars.

I don't have any animals yet. Not even a horse. Don't really want to bother with all that.
Also not bothering with wooing anyone yet. I might at some point...maybe.