* Search  * Register
It is currently Dec 03, 2020 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Kikki
  Post subject: "Collect-a-thon" games
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 1:40 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I was thinking about this over the last few weeks on and off, and then ryume said something that reminded me of it and reaffirmed that I'm not the only person who likes games where you have to collect things. But in looking up 'collect-a-thon' type games, what I keep seeing are games like Mario and so on, where you collect coins and the like...which isn't quite what I was thinking of. Though basically 'collect-a-thon' seemed to be synonymous with 'platformer' when I looked it up.

I prefer games where the things you collect are part of a...er...collection, lol. Like, people who collect stamps or rocks or...whatever...don't collect 100 of the exact same thing, they collect different items within that theme. Like catching all fish or catching all bugs or growing every crop in a Bokumono game...that's more my style of collect-a-thon than grabbing 100 identical coins in a platformer. I like to be able to admire my collection later, too, in my inventory or the game's album or whatever.

What are the best collect-a-thon games you guys know of? I can't think of many and I'd like to hear of more. Mario and other platformers are welcome to the discussion too, if that the ability to collect is a big part of what makes them fun. In my books, Animal Crossing might be the best collecting game out there. It's extra nice how you can display your collections in-game there, too.

ryume
  Post subject: Re: "Collect-a-thon" games
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 1:51 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

In truth, I can't stand games where the primary goal is collection. MMORPG's start to feel like that to me after a while, since sure, there's new story content with each expansion, but what people REALLY care about are the rare gear, spells, weapons, summons, etc. I honestly think just about any game in any genre could be turned into a collection type of game. Even fighting games these days with unlocking things like costumes, etc. have cashed in on whatever it is that drives some of us to collect anything they possibly can.

I think I enjoy SoS, RF and Animal Crossing (I agree with you that AC is the best type of collection game) because even though the story and character development in all three series is minimal to nil, they are just so flippin' adorable to look at and play that I always wanna see what cute thing comes next if I manage to unlock this in game goal or that in game goal, whether it be a cute outfit, super sweet love confession, or town celebration thanks to my hard work. On the other hand, Pokemon has never really appealed to me at all, so I guess it's not the right kind of adorable :lol:

Kikki
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yeah. I am considering Pokemon: Sword and Shield when it comes out, as I find the landscapes really attractive, but if I do get it, it'll be my first Pokemon game. The IDEA of collecting little critters is good, but in reality, the demos I've tried of previous Pokemon games never really caught me. I think I'd probably end up only interested in collecting specific types, like Grass and Fairy. And that totally regardless of whether I could make a good team out of them or not, lol.

I love the amount of stuff there is to get in MMO's, lol (and also in dungeon-crawlers...it was the main reason I liked FATE.) I loved finding rare stuff in in WoW, anyway. But I didn't really consider it collecting, as I never went out of my way to find all of a certain 'this' or a specific 'that'. (Like, I dunno...all healing supplies or all spells or all swords or...whatever.) I'm only driven to collect sets of things I like...crops, for example or flowers or gems...things I enjoy looking at, for the most part. Which is probably NOT what people mean when they talk about collect-a-thon games. I really can't be bothered to try collecting all the coins on any Mario level...I struggle just getting through to the end without trying any tricky bits! But I wish I knew of more of the type I really get into. (But maybe I already know of most of the ones that exist.)

Harvest Moon kawaii
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 6:57 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Okay, so I just typed a 50-minute or so long answer on another thread. So, my will-to-type is burned out by listing so much stuff. Although I will try my best here. I'll list a few I've noticed/loved. And many extend to a meta-sense now with merchandise. :)

1) Pokemon (monster-collecting)

2) Yo-kai Watch (monster collecting)

3) Digimon (monster collecting)

4) Yu-gi-oh (monster/card collecting)

5) Recent Yoshi games (Yoshi's Wooly World and Yoshi's Crafted World) (many items) - items such as smiley flowers, coins, maximum number of eggs, side quests, costumes/colors/types of Yoshi.

6) Hello Kitty's Magic Apron (3DS; in-game card collecting) - I loved this game! You had the ability to collect character cards of other Sanrio characters!

7) Animal Crossing (many items) - Bugs, Fish, Sea creatures, funiture, fruit, and other items.

8 ) Many other monster-collecting/raising games such as Monster Rancher, an older series or Shin Tegami Tensei ( think).

9) Does Tamagotchi or the original Digimon Virtual Pets count?

10) Pokemon, Sanrio, and Hello Kitty tamagochi exist

11) Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons (many things) - Animals/monsters (Rune Factory), crops, decorative items, costumes/clothing, achievements

12) All steam achievements and collectible cards too!!

Any others you guy can think of?

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I have a sort of...love-hate relationship with collect-a-thons. If it's done right it can be great, though. Imo, "great" is a collect-a-thon that quietly pushes the player toward "intended play", or the developer's intentions for the game. One of my favorites is Majora's Mask. There's a lot of masks, and a lot of useless masks, and a lot of useless quests, but every mask you get is unique and serves some sort of purpose...getting heart pieces, completing other quests, etc etc. It all feeds back into itself. Get more masks, unlock more things to do that can get you more masks or treasure.

Another favorite of mine in that regard is Hollow Knight. The charms serve a similar purpose, though maybe a little better focused. You explore inherently to beat the game, you find charms which are all unique and serve some purpose and encourage more exploration. Happy little gameplay loop.

To that end I didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild's style of collect-a-thon that much. WAY too numbers driven for my tastes. That game is a completionist's nightmare...Or maybe not. :lol: Depends, I guess.

Animal Crossing is kind of similar to BotW, and maybe it's something to do with having been with the series since the beginning, but it doesn't bother me there. AC and Bokumono are pretty similar I think in that the collecting feels less stressful to me. There's no "but what if I need it", just...I see, I like, I get.

Pachi
Post Posted: Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

The only collecting game I've ever played seriously is Pokemon. Another game with "collectibles" that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Professor Layton. The thing to collect are the puzzles, naturally :)

Kikki
Post Posted: Apr 08, 2019 3:03 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Mikodesu wrote:
To that end I didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild's style of collect-a-thon that much. WAY too numbers driven for my tastes. That game is a completionist's nightmare...Or maybe not. :lol: Depends, I guess.

I've been trying to puzzle this out out for the last fifteen minutes or so, lol. I can't think of BotW as a collect-a-thon at all, at least not in a similar way to these other games. Nor am I sure what numbers-driven would mean here, since RNG was not really a factor unless you were dealing with amiibo. Weapons, plants and parts in BotW are all meant for being used up, which to me means they're not really being 'collected' in the collect-a-thon sense, since you can't really keep them since your inventory slots are so limited. You did have to collect ingredients to upgrade stuff, but to me that was more hunter-gathering than collecting since you don't get to keep any of it. You could collect photos, in a way...take a picture of every weapon or plant, etc, to add to your compendium. But I'm not sure about it being numbers driven.

The only thing you can make a point of collecting in BotW is armor, to my mind...and I certainly grabbed every last bit of armor in the game every time I played! But that was super useful, with all of the armor having different, very useful effects to deal with weather and terrain effects and giving Link ability boosts and so on. So basically no matter which angle I think about it from, BotW's ability to collect was very straight-forward and relatively easy. So I'm just not sure what you mean, lol.

EDIT: It isn't my intention to disagree with you, though. I just don't quite understand what you mean.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Apr 08, 2019 6:51 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Kikki wrote:
I can't think of BotW as a collect-a-thon at all, at least not in a similar way to these other games.

If you ask me, BotW has every kind of collectathon arguable to exist. And you're totally free to disagree. I think honestly it's probably more of a semantics thing than anything else. (To be fair I haven't played the game in almost 2 years now but here we go.)

Imo: there's more outfits than the game is programmed for you to hold (armor with 1 "armor" is not armor, it's an outfit), there's more recipes than I ever bothered finding, there's 900 korok seeds (if the korok seeds themselves aren't a collectible, the big golden « Kai's Bandana » at the end is), there's however many compendium items to find. I don't really consider weapons and shields to be collectibles just because you can never hold that much of the total for it to matter. Although you COULD make it a goal to at least own every type of weapon and shield in the game...which seems doable for anyone who really loves that system in BotW.

I'd also kind of consider upgrading the armor to be part of the collectathon (I look at it that if a completionist would collect it, it's probably a collectable) and while that doesn't have as much of an RNG element it's a numbers driven affair...that drove me nuts. The outfits are probably the only similar thing to Majora's Mask...since they have perks and can at least get additional dialogue. Maybe food can get dialogue...I never tried. :shock:

Edit: I also thought, I don't know how many items even go there but...there's a tab in the item screen with..."key items" is the only way I can think to call it. The golden « Kai's Bandana » goes there, the special horse armor goes there, etc. Filling that up is probably pushing it. And this is probably REALLY pushing it but...do horses count? There's rare horses, and different colorations of regular horses...Is there a limit on how many horses you can board?

Kikki
Post Posted: Apr 08, 2019 7:27 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I don't know if you'll care about this, but at some point they appear to have updated BotW to be able to hold an extra page of armour. I had mine completely full but then suddenly one day I booted my game up and I had a whole extra empty page of inventory slots. I don't know when that happened.

BotW is certainly a game that COULD be turned into a collect-a-thon if you wanted to, but I never felt it was one, personally. I'm not sure what drives anyone to get all the korok seeds. You need 441 to upgrade your inventory slots to the max, and after that...well, if you collect all 900 seeds, all you get for your trouble is literally
Spoiler:
a useless piece of golden poo, like the developers are mocking how pointless the trouble you went to was.
(Put in spoiler in case anyone is still trying to get them all and hasn't heard what you get for it.)

I would have considered it worthwhile if, when you ask Hestu to dance for you after you get all the seeds, Link would ALSO do the dance, lol.

But as for collecting parts and plants and so on for upgrading armour, I kind of love that part. It gave me extra to do even after the game was over for the harder items (like the barbarian set), since I wanted to see all my main stuff upgraded to the full. I also liked figuring out what part of the world was inhabited by those creatures or where those items grew...made it feel more like exploring a real world, and made Link feel like a survivalist.

I'm still not sure I know what you mean by 'numbers driven', though. If it's something like needing 5 electric keese wings to upgrade something, well...pretty nearly all games in anything like the RPG category are numbers driven in that way, imo. Fetch 10 wolf hides. Kill 8 slimes. Make 100 bottles of grape wine. Etc. I can't offhand think of any game in a similar genre that doesn't make you do that. In any case, the only thing I ever felt driven to collect in BotW was to make sure I had all the armour. Upgrading it came as a second priority...I didn't tend to bother with redundant stuff. (After all, just how many armour sets do I even need with 'night speed up', on it?) When I think of a game with 'collecting stuff' as a feature, I don't think of BotW, because it feels so optional to me. I always felt free to just do what I wanted, in that game. I think of Animal Crossing, where you might really want to have every piece of the Sweets line of furniture, or every kind of fruit tree, or every shell...that kind of thing.

But people have different definitions of what a collect-a-thon game even IS. In my case, collecting needs to feel like a big part of the point of the game, and since I never felt that way about BotW, it just doesn't register to me like that.

EDIT: You can only board 5 horses, so you can't collect many of them at all. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it. Oh and I don't think you ever completely fill the key items page, but I'd have to open my oldest file and check, and my sis has my cartridge.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Apr 08, 2019 8:03 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

By numbers driven I mean I'm not actually seeing a concrete gameplay loop so much as I'm seeing a bunch of STUFF. There's no...finding one thing gives you the ability to find another thing or makes finding another thing easier, it's just, another thing. Finding one cricket doesn't make finding another one easier, or armor set for that matter.

Which that sort of thing doesn't bug me in AC or Bokumono, and I think that's because the collection is largely aesthetic. I don't feel like I could be missing out by not opening all the treasure chests because it's aesthetic.

Also by numbers driven I mean the collection is driven by there being high numbers of things. Weapons, shields, armor, bugs, fish, recipes, korok seeds, horses. (Shame about the 5 horses deal. I rarely used more than 2 though. :lol:) I think I would have enjoyed it more if the house had been a little more Skyrim. If you could place treasure chests and actually fill them with things in your house, have displays of live or even dead bugs, put flowers in vases. Display cases for trophies would work too. Like having a case that you fill up with fangs or claws. That would have gone a long way with me...maybe even becoming my gameplay loop.

Kikki
Post Posted: Apr 08, 2019 8:15 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yeah, I loved those 3 display places for weapons of each type...I really wanted Link's house to have more storage and display possibilities. It would have made collecting things feel more important to me if I could have put them on display...or at least hoarded weapons and so on for when I needed them. Though to me, that they didn't give us any of that makes me feel like the devs didn't really intend it to become a game about collecting. Collecting was done only if you wanted to...the plot didn't require it at all. (Though you have to be a pretty good player to get by with the minimum number of weapons and starter armour and so on! Obviously it can be done though, as speedruns exist aplenty.)

Also, I would have liked to be able to pick up beetles without Beedle getting snotty when you won't trade him all of yours every time he asks. So being able to put them away in storage where he couldn't detect them would have been nice. (Or just don't make him try to take all my beetles in the first place!)

But yeah, in BotW I felt like you weren't really supposed to be a collector, it was just an option available to you if that's what you liked to spend your time doing. My sis, for example, only ever really wanted to run around finding chests, picking up flowers and cooking stuff. She never cared about the story at all, lol.

BotW could have been a great collector's game, but because they didn't design it that way...gave us no way to keep loads of weapons or display much, etc...I just never think of it as a collect-a-thon, as I need to be rewarded in some way for collecting to be something I'm willing to do it. Mostly I want either benefits from it, or a way to display it. Getting better armour was enough to get me to grab those ingredients, but that's about as far as I went with collecting in BotW. So if you were to say that BotW was a great example of what could have been an amazing collect-a-thon but didn't have in-game support for it, I'd agree. :)

Karry
Post Posted: Apr 09, 2019 8:17 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Assuming Mario Odyssey was the example mentioned as a collect-a-thon game, it would actually make sense - you can collect all the moons from each world, each world has a set number of coins unique to that world (basically just slightly different looking coins), and then once you collect all the coins you can trade them in for gear unique to that world - outfits, souvenirs, and bumper stickers - as well as an outfit from each world that you can buy with normal coins. In some cases, I think you need the outfit you can buy with the world's unique coins to unlock more moons, too.

Otherwise, one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Neopets, surprisingly. Avatar-collecting is still one of my favorite features, when I return every once in a while, then there's stamp-collecting if you're super ultra rich/OG, galleries for just collecting whatever it is you like, site themes, etc.

I think TWEWY also had some collection elements, but I can't remember much about them, except for that there was a monster dex, of sorts, and that I finished that, and that finishing little things like that added characters to the save screen.

My favorites, though, are definitely ACNL and the HM/SoS series.

Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: Apr 09, 2019 8:43 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I'm also a big fan of games based around collection. Obviously HM/SoS is one of my favourites, and I grew up playing Pokémon (completed the National Pokédex in Omega Ruby!) but here are a few I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Bravely Default (3DS) - Like many RPGs some collection is necessary while most is optional, but it has a really good system for tracking the items you find and gives you percentages for all the categories (and sub categories within categories) which I love watching creep towards that 100%. And it doesn't stop at equipment as the game also tracks your viewed cutscenes/events (you can go back and rewatch them in different languages even I think), monsters encountered, key characters and plot points, places visited... the list goes on and on. This is backed up by really solid gameplay on all other fronts as well.

Fire Emblem Heroes (mobile) - I don't normally play gacha games but the Fire Emblem skin sucked me in. It's not a collection you're going to complete but I really enjoy trying to get my favourite characters from the main series games and the gameplay isn't half-bad either. Plus, for a FtP game they are quite generous with the premium currency (so much so that it's almost not really a premium currency at all).

Neko Atsume (mobile) - simple game about collecting pictures of different cats that you lure to your yard with various items. Not a lot gameplay-wise but the cartoon cats are adorable and it's fun to fill up your photo album.

Legend of Zelda Minish Cap (GBA) - most Zelda games have some form of collection but this one had a really nice side mechanic where you had to collect these things called "kinstones" and fuse them with characters you met along the way. I played it a while ago so I don't remember all the details but there were also these clay figurines you could collect and you could attempt to get all 100 unique figurines (or however many there were).

Fossil Fighters series (DS/3DS): Yes it's another monster collecting game, but it is SO FUN digging up fossils and reviving "vivosaurs" as they're called. Most monsters have room for four fossils (head, body, arms, legs) and the better the quality of the fossils you find the better your vivosaur will be. And the quality isn't just random chance, it's primarily based on how well you clean the fossil in the fossil cleaning minigame (which makes excellent use of both the touchscreen and the microphone of all things). The battles and story are average but the collection aspect makes the game. Especially for someone like me who was very into dinosaurs as a kid, this game is awesome!

I haven't played the River King series yet (it's on my list!) but as I understand it collecting all the different species of fish is the main focus of the game?

Pachi
Post Posted: Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm 
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

^ Ah yes Neko Atsume! I can't believe I forgot that super cute game :lol:

For mobile games, I absolutely loved Hungry Hearts Diner! It's about a grandma who runs an eatery and you collect "hearts" (read: affection) from the customers, who in turn tell their stories at certain points. It was very heartwarming. Iirc, this wasn't needed to finish the game but you can also collect recipes.

The same developer also has a game called An Oden Cart: A Heartwarming Tale, where you're a grandpa who runs an oden cart. It pretty much has the same mechanics as the abovementioned game -- the difference is, you collect the gripes of the customers (so you'll have to listen them rant/open up while drunk lol). It was pretty interesting to know how all the customers relate to one another.

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

The sims
Style savy
Cooking mama/camping mama/etc
Those pet games on the 3DS
Tomodachi Life
Love Nikki (mobile)