Mood games

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

What do you guys play to suit yourself in specific moods? When you're sad, or lonely, or angry, or stressed...if you're feeling sick...maybe even if you're happy. That one is a bit odd, maybe; I'm not sure I associate any particular game with 'happy', since if i'm happy I usually want to talk to someone, or exercise, or go outside and do something...not so much pick up a game.

But anyway...what games, or genres, do you turn to in your various moods? I'll try to name a few of mine, though I'm bit emotionally vague so I'm not sure I can do the topic justice. I just find it interesting :)

~

I think everyone knows this, and I love life-sims ALL the time, but in winter, when I'm feeling crushed by darkness and imprisoned by ice and snow, I want them all the more. No game could be better than Animal Crossing from about November through March, for me, though Bokumono comes close. They allow me to build a life for myself digitally when I can't do much with my REAL one. (Dragon Quest Builders is also quite good for this but doesn't quite compare to the other two, as it does let me build, but it's not really a life sim.)

I don't get genuinely sad very often, and when I do, I don't turn to games, so I can't think of a genre for that, but I do have Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a game world I just find so blissful...I'll boot it up just to teleport to Sylvalum and just stand there, or skate across the still silvery surface of Lake Ciel in my mech while listening to the night theme (my favourite game soundtrack piece of all time...it starts out slow and soothing, but it swells up and soars to the heavens at points, and my heart just jumps, listening to it.)

If I'm in pain, I tend to play mahjong to take my mind off of it. Mahjong specifically, for me. Solitaire is also okay but mahjong is better. I played mahjong when I had kidney stones, lol. Kept me sane! Any version usually has soothing music, and the game isn't complicated, so I don't have to pay close attention and it's not at all rousing or stimulating, but it does require some actual thought, so it takes my mind off the pain a little, which usually helps allow it to lessen.

If I want to be mentally engaged...something that happens especially when I am bored (but not tired)...I'll play something like an interactive visual-novel, like an otome game or Ace Attorney. The more interactive, the better...I like to be asked to make a choice frequently, not once every two hours of reading. (Dang you, Hakuoki! So hot, yet so cold.)

If I'm angry I don't play games. I either get some exercise, or I listen to music through earbuds (shuts the world out...I love it.) Same would be true with stress. And I don't think I've ever been lonely (I crazy looooove being alone. And if I do want company, my family is always available.) But I'd probably turn to Bokumono or Animal Crossing for that, as well, since I have buddies in there :) I might also replay an old favourite, to spend some time with a loved character, like Jude or Atryn or Shulk.

Replaying favourite games is definitely a comfort in almost all moods.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Tetris is the game that I gravitate to when I’m in any sort of emotional turmoil: sadness, anger, frustration, stressed, etc. I find it calming to take control of the blocks and line them up perfectly, and it’s just the right balance of occupying my mind without taking a ton of thought when I don’t have the mental power to spare. It has to be Tetris though, not just any puzzle game, because I know the mechanics of it so well that it’s almost instinctive. Sometimes I do like to shake it up with new modes or multiplayer when it gets to repetitive though. Last year when I was going through a rough time Tetris was one of the things that got me through (though at times I played so much that it was almost unhealthy).

I haven’t noticed any other specific trends pertaining to mood. I do tend to only play simulation/building games like Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon when I have a lot of free time because those games can absolutely consume me, but that’s not necessarily a mood.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh, I can see that...a game where you can precisely control the outcome could be pretty comforting in a lot of circumstances. I am not so good at Tetris myself, though, so it probably wouldn't do much for me, lol...cuz I can't control it that well. ;)

I also like funny things if I'm feeling sad or just mopey from chemical swings or whatever (I never really understand the instinct to dive into even sadder and more depressing things when in a period of sadness, but I have met a lot who do...the people I personally know who have trouble with depression seem to love heart-wrenching movies and really depressing music. Maybe the feeling of being understood or not alone in the feelings? I don't know...I guess my brain just doesn't lean that way. But I guess this means that some people might like games with tragic characters or storylines when they're feeling blue?) but there aren't a lot of super FUNNY games out there. Ace Attorney is the only thing that comes to mind immediately.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

When I'm stressed, I tend to turn to games where my brain could go on autopilot. Better if it has soundtracks that I love and find relaxing. Recently, these games have been Pokemon Sword and Animal Crossing. I usually play during evening/night; I make my room dark with only my nightlight on, snuggle under the sheets and play the game. Usually the game bgm suffices but sometimes I put on a lofi chill beats playlist to complement the game music. It makes for a calming atmosphere :) I think it also helps that AC uses a real-time clock, so there are no reasons to rush; I've also beaten Sword's main game and I'm just trying to complete the pokedex + breeding.

When I'm angry and want to take my mind off the situation, I tend to play VNs or RPGs where I have to think and strategize a lot, like Fire Emblem.

I think that's pretty much it for me with mood and games? Because when I'm sad/feeling lonely I don't really play, but I watch my comfort tv shows instead. And when I'm happy, I play about any game.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

My favorite story that applies to this...a friend of mine growing up used to blow off stress by booting up an Ocarina of Time file and taking Epona out to Lake Hylia to stomp on tektites. :lol: Always loved that.

As for myself I don't have TOO many...and I guess they're more nonspecific. Sometimes when I'm stressed or sad I need to disappear into something comfortable and simple like Animal Crossing. But other times it helps to boot up a hack and slash like the 3D Zeldas just to punt something. Not sure if that's a healthy outlet, but it works for me!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For the longest time, both Monster Hunter Generations and Animal Crossing New Leaf were the games I went to when I needed to blow off some steam. There's something extremely cathartic about beating an enormous monster to death as a tiny cat. On the flipside, fishing and wandering around in a peaceful world helped me decompress a bit.

Last year, my game for blowing off steam was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I used it to both relax and keep my mind occupied off my situation at the time.

All of the above games I put almost or above 300 hours into.

Right now though, I don't think I have many mood games. I'm sorta stuck on catching up with this generation's releases while also trying to handle all the new stuff too. I guess I could count Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun as something I'm going back to constantly for various reasons. Its easy to pick up, my family likes playing it with me, and I enjoy it when I'm in the mood. What mood it really is I'm not sure.

Once I'm finally caught up on games and I find myself without anything to play, I'll probably revisit some old favorites (I do want to replay Xenoblade 2 with everyone in silly costumes). I predict the new Animal Crossing game is going to demand a lot of time too. Also, if I end up loving FF14 as much as it's millions of users, I have a feeling that might be a big mood game too.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wish there was such a game as one that is 'energizing' or that wakes you up. I'm super struggling to stay/feel awake again. It's really soared in the last few days, like it did last winter. (But it set in a month earlier, last year, I think.)

But I guess that's not really a 'mood', is it? It's a physical state. Phooey. If there was a game that gave energy, I'd buy ten of it, lol.

I also don't think there's any game I can call 'exciting'. A game is exciting to me when the story gets really interesting or suspenseful, but that only happens when I'm experiencing it for the first time, so...it's not something I can ever go back for.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Hmm, an exciting game for me would be Fire Emblem. I guess it's because of its high replayability. Even if I'm experiencing the story the second or third time already, the experience is still different because I tend to use different units/characters for each playthrough. I like discovering how each unit works on the map and how they contribute to the team as a whole :)
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Animal Crossing New Leaf was a big one for me for a really long time when I'm feeling like I don't have much control over my life. And of course, Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons is good for that too. Also more recent and lesser known entires but Adventure Bar Story and Marenian Tavern Story are big unwinding games for me (along with the popular Recettear).

But nothing, and I mean nothing, can compare to one game series that brings me so much happiness when I am feeling down as Dragon Quest. I just hear that intro tune and I instantly start grinning, no matter what my mood was before. So those games, especially #3 in the series, are big for me. Sadly I haven't played much of 11 yet, due to headaches, but sometimes I boot up the games just to hear that intro tune and get a little happiness going.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For me, the sims. It’s easy and right here on my phone.

And when I have my 3DS on my person definitely animal Crossing and Story of seasons.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

But what mood are those, Shan?