It is currently Sep 17, 2020 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Harvest Moon kawaii
  Post subject: PS3/PS4 help
Post Posted: Dec 08, 2019 9:22 am 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

I'm thinking of buying a PS3 or PS4.

PS3 has more games I want (in PSN classics store), but PS4 has the better working version of Harvest Moon...A Wonderful Special Edition. Can a PS4 with a PSN play both PS3 and PS4 digital games? Help, please.

Kikki
  Post subject: Re: PS3/PS4 help
Post Posted: Dec 08, 2019 11:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

No, there are a lot of PS3 games that you can't play on a PS4. There are some that cross over via PSN, but nowhere near all of them. I think it's only about 150 games or so from PS3 that are playable on PS4 via PSN, plus you have to pay a monthly fee to have access to PSN. I don't have a full list of PS3 games you can play on PS4, though. I just know my favourites aren't on it, lol. :/

Playing on a PS3 is starting to feel quite dated, though. Tales of Xillia is one of my favourite games ever, for example, but it lurches and just isn't up to par in overall performance/look with what we've gotten on PS4 from the same series. Though that makes sense, since PS3 is not only over...PS4 is almost at the end of its life cycle, too...we're gonna get PS5 next year. But thankfully, IT will be backwards compatible. Though they're not yet sure it will be 100% backwards compatible...it should at least be mostly so.

ryume
  Post subject: Re: PS3/PS4 help
Post Posted: Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

tl;dr: I recommend going with a PS4 if you’re looking to buy an older console for more variety in overall selection and ability to use the PSNow subscription if that’s something you would want. However, if the ONLY things you care about are playing PS2 and PSOne classics, than PS3 is the better choice. PS3 is basically dead, unfortunately (but still has a huge library if you’ve never owned one), and PS4 is nearing the end of its life cycle thanks to the PS5 currently being in development.

HMK, in terms of classics, are you talking ONLY about PSOne and PS2 games that you can play on the PS4? If so, PS4 doesn’t play any PSOne games at all, except those that are specifically remastered for it, such as FFVII, FFIX, etc. As for PS2 classics, the library on the PS4 is considerably smaller than what they released on PS3. You don’t need a paid subscription to play any of those either, just have to buy them in the store.

If you’re talking about the PSNow games however (which I think is what Kikki was primarily referring to when she talked about playing PS3 games on PS4, no?), that service you DO need to pay for monthly since that’s the streaming service that gives you access to multiple PS2/PS3/PS4 games to play while streaming only, not to own. I also don’t know if every single game you can stream on PSNow is able to be played on a PS4, but here is the link to the official page for the PSNow service if you’re interested.