Backlog 2020

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Made some good progress on Bravely Second yesterday. The dungeons in this game are really interesting design-wise (I just did the abandoned aqueduct)! And though I still prefer the soundtrack of the first game, this game’s music is growing on me too. I especially like the song that plays when you’re on the boat. :)
Spoiler:
Whyyy do the side-quests keep making me choose between characters I like and the asterisks I want though? Oh well I’ve heard you eventually get a shot at the ones you missed later.
Also I summoned Steven Stone in Pokémon Masters and I’m wholeheartedly enjoying his whole event. Him and Wallace are just :heart:.

Possible games I might buy in the near future are Octopath Traveler and Rune Factory 4S (and SoS:FoMT when it’s released of course!). I own the original RF4 and never played it, but I’m justifying it by saying I can give it to my mom who doesn’t have a Switch yet and get myself the Switch version. But if I get either of those it’ll be sometime in April because March is going to be insanely busy for me.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Glad to see everybody pretty happy in their gaming ventures!

Strangely busy gaming day for me. Still have to go back for a couple sidequests...I chose boss battle over sidequests, but World 10 in Ring Fit is beaten. :o I guess it helps to have a world that goes quickly ever so often to break up the pace.

I think the best thing for me about the game so far is the stretching. I've got a surgical scar that has made stretching a bit difficult over the years, but...I can feel myself getting more flexible and that's kind of awesome. :)

And the other bit...Aside from post game Hometown Story is done. I can't even begin to imagine what filling the Wiki for this game out was like...I get why I couldn't beat it before. People in comments on various pages have said it took them 100 hours...and « Harvest Goddess » I am so sorry. :lol: Probably the best example of sunken cost fallacy I've ever seen...

It was starting to drive me a little bit nuts...there aren't many games that I've played and been INCAPABLE of beating and it tends to eat me up. Especially things like this that aren't mechanically difficult.

But it's done now. And when I play for post game I can pretty much let the game play itself and watch some extra cutscenes for funsies. And after that I think I need a break. Sunk cost has to be made up...
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Uh...I think I've been completing the Keen Dreams levels in the wrong order. There are 16 levels and I tried to do level 16 only a few levels in, lol. If there is such a thing a right order, anyway. But I've found a list of the levels now. I've completed Horseradish Hills (1), Parsnip Pass (5), Bridge Bottoms(3), Rhubarb Rapids(4) and Apple Acres (9), and am now attempting Grape Grove (10). Somehow I completely missed doing the Melon Mines (2), and then after doing 3-5, skipped 5-8 and went straight to 10, lol. So I may go back and try to do them in order...I need the Boobus Bombs, anyway. I'm not sure if they're easier that way or not. The game really doesn't give you any direction as to where you should go next. But I believe you have to fight Boobus Tuber or something like that in the final level and you need to scrounge up a few extra lives for that. I guess? I can just do one level per day and still finish in Feb...much more than that and I burn out on it, as I'm just that terrible.

I've also finished the first three chapters of Liar Princess and am starting on Ch 4. These platforming games take me forever to finish, though. I retry soooooo often. Still, I think I can do Ch 4 tomorrow and then hopefully 5 and 6 next week, and be done Liar Princess before RF4S arrives.

Honestly even getting these two 'short' games done this month, in addition to finishing the two I'm already done (AI and Star Ocean 5), sounds like plenty to me. Since RF4S doesn't arrive until Feb 25th at the earliest, there's no way I can complete that game within the month, so it'll have to carry over into March.

I also really want that 'House Flipper' game out on Switch on Feb 25th but I'm going to put it off a bit. Not sure when I'll get around to it...depends on if I have a break between RF4S and Animal Crossing. If not, it'll probably have to wait until...maybe May?
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have finished all of Mikhail's flower events. He's still at a yellow flower, so I think I'll be able to marry him by Spring. I can't remember what star level the materials need to be for the house upgrade. I hope it's 1.5 or greater; I have the money for it and am working on the materials now.

Almost done with ToTT, I can feel it!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I finished it! And it only took me, oh...25+ years. :lol:

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams is done. I had way more Boobus Bombs than I thought, and the boss was a super cinch since you just have to spam the throw button twelve times as fast as you can as soon as you enter and he'll get hit by them all. I never fought the boss battle before so I had no idea it could be done so easily. It's getting the bombs in the first place that takes a while...completing the levels. But it turns out there aren't 16 levels...just 12. And 2 are totally worth skipping, so really...ten. (Unless you just LIKE to play this stuff, for the gameplay, but, uh...no. Not if you're me!)

Anyway, that's done, so all I have left for this short, tired, chopped-up month is Ch. 4-6 of Liar Princess which I shouldn't have any trouble with since, if any of the sections confuddle me, I'm just going to look up a video to see how someone else does it. Other people may get some sense of accomplishment out of having figured out every bit on their own through trial and error (a million trials, for someone with no skill, like me), but not for me. Nooooo. I only bought this game because the story looks so sweet. Which it is, so far, and I'd like to see the end of it. If not for that, I'd have abandoned this game already. Anyway, no problem getting this done before RF4S arrives. :)
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I've finished all chapter 2 stories and Alfyn's ch 3 on Octopath \o/ I pretty much cruised chapters 1 & 2, but I finally got a challenging boss fight on Alfyn's ch 3. Increasing turns for the boss plus an ever-changing weakness scheme? Tf dude :lol:

I said I'd take it slow on gaming now, but I reeally want to play the FE3H dlc (Yuri is too beautiful to ignore ;w; and the classes!! I want to use dark flier), so I'm going to pace myself with 1 game a month. So the current plan is Octopath on Feb, Okami on March, AI: Somnium Files on April, then FE3H dlc + new GD file on May (or switch AI and FE3H). That is, if SOS: FOMT or Bravely II doesn't come out by then :lol: I wonder if I can finish Octopath within the week though, since I'll be on vacation the following week;;
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

GOSH the Final Fantasy Tactics raid series in FFXIV was a nightmare to handle, but a really nice nostalgia trip. Now the only blue quests standing between me and finally working towards Shadowbringers is the rest of the Omega raids which is about 8 more boss battles. I might be able to get them finished today?? Maybe??? It really all depends on if I can get people to que for them or not. Regardless, I plan on making it to Shadowbringers some time this week.

Animal Crossing is gonna be here before I know it, then Sakura Wars, then Utawarerumono - My gaming schedule is PACKED so far this year. Not to mention my 'backburner' games that I'm omitting from a backlog list until I feel like playing them, because putting them in a list kinda makes me stress over it a little bit.

I'm very glad that Cindered Shadows was short and sweet, especially with how FFXIV focused I am rn, but once I'm 'done' with FFXIV (with the story, I'll be off and on to work on side quests and misc) it'll be time to play the rising pile of games that have been accumulating.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

How is your list-to-be getting out of control already? I thought you were leaving off with buying any games except your absolute top most-wanted games this year, until the massive black day sales in...November or whenever that is. (I know they're super great in the US, though they're not so special here in Canada. Not where I live, anyway.) Are all of those games 'most wanted' games? (I remember that Animal Crossing was a top-tier game for you, but I don't remember about the others. It's hard to search this big thread for everyone's lists, lol, and I get everyone's mixed up sooner or later.) Or is your list of games-to-play from the whack of stuff you bought in the sales last year?

I did notice that there's a fair few good games coming out late February, though. Of course there's the most important one: RF4S. But on the same day, there is also House Flipper and Two Point Hospital, both of which are definite purchases for me. (I also kind of want Uncharted Tides Port Royal on the 20th, but it's a low-level want so it's been dismissed for the time being.) Then only two days later there's WANDERLUST Travel Stories and Hero Must Die Again. Both of which I am moderately interested in though they aren't definite purchases.

I won't be buying any of them, though...not for a while. Not unless I have a gap between RF4S and AC:NH. I just don't want my backlog to heap up, so I'm putting off any purchases that aren't top-tier. Anything medium-tier gets put off until I have a gap, and anything that stays low-tier just doesnt' get purchased. I bought Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions today with a GC my cousin gave me in December, since I enjoyed the first game a lot. It's just a jigsaw puzzle game but I love the designs and the stained glass look. It'll only take a couple of hours to complete, and it was 20% off. Launch deal, I guess? I find this type of game soothing.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yep, those three games I mentioned are the 'must haves' this year - and I expected them to release spread out, but they're all right after another. Cue out of control LOL. Especially with Utawarerumono, because that's not one game, it's a trilogy. The rest of the year only has the Pokemon S/S expansions unless something amazing drops and I gotta have it (ie: Cold Steel IV or the next Atelier game).

Everything else is Black Friday filler. If I somehow run out of things to play somewhere before then, then I'll work on the games I've set aside rather than buy the games I skipped. That's the plan anyways!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I may be slightly sidetracked from my regular backlog progress for a few days.

Looks like I have to go back to Pokemon Shield for a little bit, because my cousin wants some of the exclusives. Which is fine, it should just be a few. And I do still want Mawile and Gothita. Aaaand I guess I never did go get myself a Solosis, which can't be found until you can get foggy weather, which wasn't possible until end game, so I hadn't done that. Hopefully that'll only take me a few hours, since I don't actually want to go back to Pokemon at all.

She (my cousin) also doesn't particularly care for Animal Crossing. I had her try it last night and she thought it was 'okay' but doesn't like having no concrete reason to play for. She's a funny kid. She doesn't like story driven games very much...she's frustated by cutscenes and doesn't want story interrupting what she's doing...but she doesn't like aimless games where you have to make your OWN goals, either. Seems to be that she only likes games that have a specific and fairly simple 'point' to them, while allowing you to wander around doing a bit of whatever you want. I think the only two games she's really liked so far are BotW and Pokemon Sword, and she's 'okay' on Dragon Quest Builders.

Hard to think of what other games to recommend for her. I'll lend her my 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3D, I guess. Most of my game collection is heavily story-driven JRPG games or more make-your-own-story life-sim types...both of which she's not into. I kinda want to get her to try a platformer. They have basic stories and a clear point/goal, but are definitely not story-heavy.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
Recently beat:

Pokemon Shield
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Demo (Switch)

Backlog:

(3DS, Nintendo Switch, and PC) = A lot (over 136 games)

Currently playing:

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (Switch)
My Time at Portia (Switch)

Games I have pre-ordered:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (March 20, 2020)
Digimon Survive (2020)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX (Switch; March 6, 2020)
Rune Factory 4 Special (Archival Edition) (February 25, 2020)

Games I want:

Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
Rune Factory 5 (Switch; 2020)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (Switch) (Japanese only)
Snack Wold The Dungeon Crawl Gold (February 14, 2020)
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World (Switch)
Detective Pikachu 2 (Switch; release date unknown)
Story of Seasons: Reunion of Mineral Town (Switch) (West: 2020)
Robotics; Notes Elite (Switch) (Coming 2020 in the West)
Robotics; Notes Dash (confirmed for the West)
Yo-kai Watch 4 (Switch; confirmed for the West)
Rewrite+ (PC)

Games beat in 2020: 0

Games bought in 2020: At least 6 ( of those with confirmed release dates)
So, still in the same spot as I was before in Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth. But I'm able to check my playtime with it now and I'm 10+ hours in. :o That was more than I thought. I still hope to complete the game once before Rune Factory 4 Special is released.

Also, I started playing the Switch version of My Time at Portia. The game is way more fun than I thought it would be and I've already played more than 8 hours in. I'm at the beginning of Month 2 (Summer) Year 1, and I just completed the bridge to Amber Island. I looked up on the wiki the marriage bachelors, and I think I want to marry either Gust or Mint. But, I haven't met Mint yet.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

@Kikki

Maybe your cousin would like Super Mario Odyssey? I haven’t played it myself but Mario games are usually pretty gameplay focused with clear goals, and the 3D ones tend to have a bit more freedom to wander around than the side scrolling ones. Ocarina of Time is a good idea too. :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Code_Name_Geek wrote:@Kikki

Maybe your cousin would like Super Mario Odyssey? I haven’t played it myself but Mario games are usually pretty gameplay focused with clear goals, and the 3D ones tend to have a bit more freedom to wander around than the side scrolling ones. Ocarina of Time is a good idea too. :)
She might, yeah...I'm not sure. I don't have it, though, so I can't lend it to her, and she's just a kid so I don't want her to spend $80 on a game just to try it, since it's about 50/50 on whether she'll end up liking it. :/ For platformers I have Commander Keen: Keen Dreams, but it's an ooooold one, and actually quite difficult, probably a little much for her first try. I have Hollow Knight but that's even MORE difficult. I also have Liar Princess, but it's a puzzle platformer with a very present story, so there are scenes between every level and sometimes a few extras, so I'm not sure either of those will suit her. I have Mario + Rabbids and I was going to DL that onto my account on her Switch so she can try it. She likes really goofy humour and it's kind of interesting gameplay, so I thought that might be an option...possibly the best option of anything I've got.

Torchlight II and Battle Chef Brigade might also be options, but I do think Mario Odyssey would probably be better. She has Link's Awakening but she has temporarily abandoned it because she got stuck. (I'd look it up for her, but she can't remember what she was doing when she got stuck, lol.) She's easily discouraged into giving up, like if she doesn't quickly understand how to play or what to do next. That's probably why story-light, clear-goal, relatively simple games are what she gets into, I guess. I'd like to be able to let her try more game but I'm almost exactly the opposite type of gamer, even though I'm the one who got her hooked via BotW, lol. (But that's a non-gamer converter, imo, with the way you can play in so, so many different ways. If you're no good at 'this' or 'that', there's usually a way around it. And you can either get into the story, or completely ignore it. It's just so flexible.)

I just feel a bit bad, getting her hooked on gaming but so few games turning out to be anything she can get into. I'll lend her Ocarina at the least, anyway, and have her try Mario + Rabbids as well.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ugh, I uninstalled Fire Emblem Heroes this morning. I think i've reached a point where I can't deal with the persistent nagging to buy the Feh pass and the fact that the gacha rates have been more unfair than normal. I'm just not having fun anymore and can't bring myself to complete the special events despite the nice rewards. Best to ditch unneeded frustrations. I might reinstall if they fix the nagging, but as of right now, I don't care to play anymore.

I did indeed finish the Omega quests yesterday! The ques were long, but I kept myself busy with other activities until they finally popped. You can tell people don't do the bosses very often because 7/8 of the battles had people in the chat admitting they didn't remember any of the bosses' mechanics OR just didn't remember fighting them at all LOL. We all managed fine regardless. Music was absolutely fantastic the entire questline and Alpha (a cute lil mystery dungeon chocobo) was such a great little addition to Cid's continuing character arc. I hope he shows up again sometime in the future.

Now I'm free to continue towards Shadowbringers, buuuuuuuut I got distracted. I realized that my grand company has an outfit I really want and I'm going to have to do a little grinding to get it. Gonna try and see if I can nab it today and if I can't (or there's quest buffers that I have to suffer through) then I'll be doing MSQ. Since the update dropped at 2am, I expect the servers to be super packed today, but hopefully I won't have too much of an issue getting in.
Last edited by Bluie on Feb 18, 2020 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Not much more progress presently on my backlog while playing nurse to my sick household and trying to finish recovering for myself, not a fan of flu season.

I did have some time to mess around with both free versions of Pokemon Home. After a couple updates it's working fairly well. The Wonder boxes are like multiple wonder trades that take a while, and the GTS is as expected, but thankfully they removed the option for people to request impossible mythical trades. I was able to fill in most of my missing spots in my Shield Pokedex, except for Zacian, so I am pretty happy with it. I'll just have to clear Sword now to get him. I don't know if I like the random room trade option because it seems like a game of survivor of whether you'll get booted out or get to trade. Not quite ready to get the paid version just yet.

I was also able to get a couple of the G-max Toxtricities I was looking for, and I played the Meltan fairy on the link trades in Shield a bit too, so it wasn't a totally terrible time of being sick. I also went ahead and pre-ordered Animal Crossing, so that brings my tally of games bought in 2020 to 5 so far. I am getting so excited for March to come!