Animal Crossing: New Horizons~

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

How are you liking the game so far?

You may select 1 option

View results

Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Glad your game is okay.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I’m having trouble getting into New Horizons. The beginning is too slow for me. I hated how slow New Leaf was compared to the previous games, but New Horizons is something else.

There’s just nothing to do for the first few days. I got Nook’s Cranny two weeks ago and then forgot to play the game for a week. The week after that, I just didn’t feel like playing just to walk around and fish for a hour.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The point of New Horizons in the first day or two is entirely Nook Miles...you can't really get your game going until you pay off your house for the first time and get out of a tent, and you can only do that with Nook Miles, so it's all about catching 10 fish, and 10 bugs, and whatever other accomplishments you can nab in the first day or three. Along the way, pretty quickly, you get the ability to cross rivers and climb cliffs, and that opens things up a bit more. I feel like I got my game going faster than New Leaf, to be honest, because it didn't have much in the way of wait time...I could force it to go faster by making money faster or catching and donating fish faster, or etc. I had the museum and clothing shop within the first week, iirc, and maybe the resident services upgrade, too, as well as my house upgraded 2 or 3 times. For me, it was fast. (I don't remember to the day how fast, though. Probably a bit more than a week!) Maybe even TOO fast...I ought to have gone a bit slower and enjoyed the start for longer. I feel like I burned through the start-up phase too quickly and got everything established so fast that my enjoyment was decreased (I didn't time travel or anything...I just played several hours a day for the first three weeks or so.)

Then you've gotta nab yourself a bunch of DIYs and furniture and start smacking stuff down outside (including flowers and trees) to get your island to 3-stars to unlock the terraforming. I don't know exactly where you've progressed to, but it sounds like the thing to aim for right now would be to get Resident Services upgraded to a proper full building. (You must have the museum built...the building, not the tent...as well as have 5 residents in town.) You'll get the clothing shop after you buy from Mabel twice, if you haven't done that already...she'll start showing up after you build Nook's Cranny, so any time now.

Sorry you're not overly enjoying it, though. The new ways it works don't quite feel natural to some people. Met another person online who thought it was a terrible game cuz they couldn't get anyone other than their first two default villagers to move in, because the way the game progressed didn't come naturally for them.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I guess I’m just used to playing Animal Crossing my way. It’s always been very open sandbox but New Horizons feels constrained. My favorite title will likely always be the GameCube one and that game is fairly open after the short 20~ minute tutorial.

I just got the assignment where Nook wants me to build houses for three villagers. My immediate reaction was an annoyed “Why do I have to do this? This is Nook’s job”. It feels like I own the island myself. I’ve never been one to decorate my town outside of gardening, so it peeved me that I had to choose where the houses go myself.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
The idea of the game is putting things wherever you want with the opportunity to move them later on.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That IS the idea this time around, and I personally do prefer being able to place everything where *I* want it to be (I'd like to have even MORE control, actually!), but...for some people, they like when it's a bit more...organic. That characters move in where THEY want to, and you have to work around things that are happening without you controlling it all yourself. It's a little closer to real life in that way, in that normally, you don't get to be a dictator over every inch of the town, but...yeah. I like this better. I do see, though, where others might prefer not having every detail not only be something they can choose, but that they have to be the one to choose. (Like how if you don't get around to placing plots for them, your first villagers beyond the initial two will never move in at all.)
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I spent today farming DIYs from Celeste. While doing so I bought candy every time I loaded up my game cuz that’s the only way to get a lot of candy.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I hate the "only 1 candy a day" rule. I'm in the tutorial and don't play daily, so it's hard to get candy... By that virtue, I doubt Halloween will be interesting because my island isn't finished yet.

The GameCube game had my favorite Halloween. New Leaf had more to do, but it was also something that needed preplanning and you couldn't really do any real life Halloween stuff, since it took so long.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh man, I just HAD to reach my boiling over point with my entrance yesterday, didn't I? I'm redoing the entire entrance area of Windfall, and it's a mess! Basically, I'm redoing the entirety of sector E4, E5 and E6. SOOOOOOOOO many white windflowers to dig up and sell/toss/replant!

I may have to ask any of you guys who make it over on Monday to overlook the entrance... :oops:

But thanks to Shan's pile of free DIYs on her beach at the party yesterday, I got the leaf campfire...*squee!* And I was out so long yesterday in the plaza that I got two MORE Tree's Bounty DIYs...the mobile (meh) and the pine bonsai (less meh). I currently have 9. All that is left is the wand, the arch, and the big tree. I don't care about the wand, but I definitely want the arch DIY and the big tree one, but they won't be available until...November 16-26, I think it was?

Now I'm trying to design my own tiles. Even using other people's tiles for inspiration, I am NOT good at this. But I persevere...
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Historically in Animal Crossing, villagers give you candy on Halloween night if you're wearing costumes. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They give you candy in this one, too, as long as you're wearing a costume.
Spoiler:
Speaking to any villager who is indoors during the Halloween event (5PM to midnight on October 31) while wearing a costume, and they'll give you candy. You can get more than one candy per villager, but you have to wait a little while between visits...they won't continually give you candies every single time you ask.

You can get lollipops from them, too. I think by giving them candies, not sure. I don't know 100%, but I think you use the candies on the villagers who are outdoors to get Halloween items from them, including lollipops, and you use the lollipops on Jack to get the final...2 or 3 items, I think.

But the exact details are not totally clear to me. I think that is more-or-less how it works, though.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Actually you get two of you have Jack’s head. So wear the head first (only works once per villager) then switch costume.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's so foggy this morning! I can't even see. (I do mean in ACNL...though when the sun is up I may also find it quite foggy IRL...we get a lot of fog here in spring/fall.) I did find that Bluie left me a happy face on my bulletin board, though :) And from last night's medium-sized starfall, while you guys were all over, I got 1 large fragment, 2 Scorpius fragments, and 12 regular fragments. Not too bad.

I've managed to put all my trees back down, but I still have no idea what I want to do with this main area now that I've emptied it of...well, everything, really. Maybe just an ordinary civic courtyard? I can't decide what colour of flowers to use. I'm thinking pink and white, but...

Man, decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Redd brought me nothing new yesterday, so as I've sworn, I rerolled him. Now I not only have TWO new paintings (moody and sinking) I also have a starry sky wall! Whee! I kinda never even thought about re-rolling Celeste into the bargain, but it's great since otherwise I never have a chance to see her, being someone who just can't stay awake in the evenings. (Probably why Arcy and I so rarely cross paths in ACNH...she doesn't seem to be up in the mornings and I'm not up at night.)

However, there is always a downside to TT-ing, imo, even if it's only a day backward. I always get something messed up. Often it means you neglect your villagers for days in a row, for one thing. But in this case, in my hurry made me forget to deliver a package from Hamlet to Felicity. Opened it since it was no longer deliverable this morning, and it was an earbuds-combo (shirt). Gave it to Felicity, and she loved it and gave me a suspender outfit, which I then gave to Hamlet, which HE loved.

Now I don't feel guilty for forgetting to deliver his package :)
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh yeah you can farm from Celeste like Redd. That’s what I been doing
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I finally have a simple panel, as a gift from Chrissy! :lala: I don't have to check the game everyday now. I think I'll just show up for Halloween, request songs from KK during days he's on, and wait until the new fall DIYs come around~