Animal Crossing: New Horizons~

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

How are you liking the game so far?

You may select 1 option

View results

Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Basic info:
- You move to a deserted island.
- You can craft your own tools, decorations, and in general, make the island in your own image.
- Up to 8 Players can live on your island.
- You can invite other players to come to your island via airport.
- You can use a pole vaulter to get over rivers
- You can name your island. 10 characters or less.

New Special characters:
Spoiler:
Daisy Mae - Sells you turnips on Sunday’s

Flick - Bug Contest Judge

C.J - Fishing Contest Judge

Wilbur - Flight Pilot

Orville - Flight Receptionist
Our Characters:
If you don’t want your characters posted here, let me know.
Spoiler:
User: Kikki
Island name: Windfall
Main character: Alizée
Fruit: Apple
Starter villagers: Reneigh and Hamlet
Airport: Orange

User: XxWizardxMollyxX14
Starter Villagers: Sylvia and Kid Cat

User: Arcy
Island Name: Melody
Main Character: Arcy
Fruit: Oranges
Starting Villagers: Mira and Bam.
Airport: Green

User: Bluie User: Mikodesu
Island Name: Elouan
Main Character: Miko
Fruit: Cherries
Starting Villagers: Cherry & Kid Cat

User: Panda Parfait
Island name: Jellyfish
Main Character: Bunny
Starting Villagers: Deirdre and Cobb

User: Kross Lover/fan
Island Name: Nanaki
Main Character: Kross
Starting Villagers: Cherry and Peck
Airport: Orange

User: Greensara
Island name: Bloom
Main Character: Rose
Fruit: Orange
Starting Villagers: Sylvia and Mac

User: Anabel
Island Name: J'ila
Main Character: Konai
Starting Villagers: Cherry and Dom

User: Wadjyt
Island Name: Shadow
Main Character: Garnet
Starting Villagers: Genji and Shari
Airport: Yellow

User: Shan User: Nurse Fin
Fruit: Peaches
Airport: Red
Island Screen Shots:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Few notes (these should go without saying but just in case):
- Please be respectful.
- If you want to talk about spoilers; think it could be a spoiler, please use a spoil tag. I’ll be doing the same.
Last edited by Kross lover/fan on Mar 20, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ah, thanks, Kross...I'm pretty sure there's enough discussion to be had for ACNH to have its own thread :)

That was the most satisfying Direct ever. I got almost everything I wanted, even things I thought were too much to ask for! And all of the built items look so beautiful. I love how they're arranging things. I hope we get a good pace for unlocking things...I don't want it to be tediously slow OR too fast. I love having locks, though...really makes it so there's always something to look forward to.

I forgot to even mention this in the light of even more exciting things, but their
Spoiler:
'random tour' thing...I'm not even sure how to summarize that feature and can't remember the words they used themselves, but...it sounds great. I had been wondering how easy it is to strip your own island of materials in a day, but it seems like that's a solution...you can fly over to some other places and gather rocks and wood and ores and stuff. So if what's available on your own island is not enough to satisfy your crafting quota that day, you don't have to be stuck with that.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Probably smart to go ahead and move to a separate thread. :)

One thing that I don't think has been pointed out yet...(saw this on Twitter) it was caught in the Direct in the "fine print" that the cloud save caveat is we get ONE restore (whether data is lost or the Switch is stolen).

There's a lot of stuff I'd still like to know. We don't have anything confirming/denying biomes, do we? eg desert
Spoiler:
I'd like to know if reshaping terrain affects that in any way. Like what if you want to have a lagoon with a beach on the interior of the island? Can you add more sand other places? Will that impact the spawn point of bugs?

This is probably reaching but it would be neat to be able to design a 'shallows' area with coral and kelp.
I really doubt Nintendo would do this...but I actually think it would be neat if they would sell plans for AC group servers (like what you can do with games like Minecraft). Local play is fine, but what about friends/family who don't live near each other and want to have their own island together?

There's probably enough of a market for people who just want to make multiple different styled islands.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I just noticed, but when the character shakes a winter pine tree...
Spoiler:
A christmas ornament drops out of it and she picks it up and puts it in her inventory. That's new! Unless it was in one of the first versions of AC, cuz I didn't play that far back. Wonder what you use them for. Crafting, I'm guessing.

I love pretty much everything, which makes it so I don't have a lot to say, lol. It's easier to go on at length about things that you have mixed opinions on. But the only two things that I wasn't 'YAY!' about were what I mentioned before, with the 'rescue' thing and the 'updates' thing. Neither of which were bad...more that they were just kind of puzzling as stated. (Though it wasn't too hard to make guesses about how it'll actually work in-game, even if they made it sound kind of weird in the Direct.)

I guess I'm just totally happy, lol. Sure, I'd have loooooved the ability to turn my island into a swamp full of cattails and willow trees. Or cover it in cracked earth, cacti and huge yucca 'trees'. But that was always a pipe dream, and what we're getting is already more than I thought we would, so I'm just kinda...unable to think of anything negative or hesitant to say.

I loved so many of the crafted items I saw.
Spoiler:
All that mushroom stuff! ANd different from the pre-existing mushroom furniture, too. Glowing mushroom lamps, mushroom tables, mushroom mushrooms...I'm gonna make an entire mushroom forest in some corner!
The interior decorating was really good, too. Here's a tweet with a clip of just that part:
Spoiler:
These are my favourite screenshots of the island itself so far (aka: not inside any kind of building or specific location) because each one shows some aspect that I want to try when I have my own island. :)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kikki on Feb 20, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I dunno if it's entirely a pipe dream! There's still the likelihood of DLC - the existence of "free updates" implies the existence of paid ones, imo. I'm just unsure how I'd feel about it. Not paying for biomes, but if you get down the road and your island is starting to look how you want it and DLC to completely redo it pops up...I dunno. Maybe I'd like it, maybe I wouldn't. :/ Can't decide.

It boils down to not being able to have multiple islands, but...who knows what Nintendo has planned. I dunno if they even know.

I noticed the winter pine thing
Spoiler:
and my first thought was turning them into earrings. :lol: But now I'm actually thinking back on Pocket Camp. You can tell they've taken a LOT of ideas from it and fleshed them out, so I'm wondering if there'll be a bigger variety of 'collect-a-thon's now.
Which reminds me...I wanna go back over the footage, cause I'm curious if we'll actually get to decorate the outside of our houses now. (For holidays and the like, even.) That would be fun! :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
I'm super happy that we can move our houses and shops at any time. Though presumably only after we get that contractor permit or whatever it is, which I think takes expanding the Services Building to maximum, if I understood the Direct properly. I suppose there might be other conditions, like house expansions or certain amenities being present.

I wonder what the conditions for having a 'perfect island' will be this time around. I saw a teeny bit in there that suggested a perfect town rating was still a thing. Nice that they showed Isabelle still having a regular job, though I wonder how developed your island will have to be before she'll show up. Like...will it take 3 months of near-daily play to get the Resident Services Building to this level of development? I wouldn't mind that or anything...I'm just curious how long we can expect to take before things are starting to look really developed and most of the NPCs you like best have come back.

Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’m very very EXCITED!!!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The official Animal Crossing New Horizons website has had a lot of updates since the Direct finished, btw, everybody. Worth going to poke around a bit. :) I love the
Spoiler:
underwater aquarium tunnel in the museum!
So much cool stuff...that museum is just blowing all previous museums out of the water. I feel like this game is going to have a great balance. THere are loads of things you can do and improve immediately for quick gratification via crafting, but lots of things to work for long term, to, to unlock and save up and etc.
Last edited by Kikki on Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
Door wreaths! :heart: I've seen a flower wreath and a snowflake on a door now. Cute!!
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
So there’s going to be a phone app for pattern download and chatting. I like that idea.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Since it's in a spoiler, do you mean new ones, different from the ones we saw in the E3 footage?
Spoiler:
I did notice a lot of new door styles, but I haven't yet noticed any wreaths I haven't seen in previous footage. (Saw the snowflake a while back, too, after the second batch of footage a while after E3 from that 5-minute section of the last Direct, I think it was.)

I want pinecone wreathes and ornament wreaths and stuff like that, too. :) Funny thing, but I think the flower garlands you can wear on your head are the same wreaths you hang on the doors, LOL.

I also saw on the website that we can get 'bigger pockets' with Nook Miles. I think that means more inventory space? If so: awesome. :)
Also, I grabbed this screenshot of one of the video clips on the website, of path options. No blanks, but for some reason the video was fuzzy. I think because I caught it in motion.
Spoiler:
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I haven't looked at the E3 footage since then so I'm not sure. :lol:
Spoiler:
It would make sense that they would be 'door garlands' more than anything. Easier to repurpose, which I don't mind. (Pretty sure what I was saw mostly if not entirely flowers...)

I don't think I saw any other decorations though. Maybe that'll come down the road. Looking at all the fall collectibles getting pine cone wreaths or wreaths decorated with little acorns wouldn't be out of the question.

I'm still hoping for things like icicle lights or lights on the little fence around the house. :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It'd be great if we get the option to hang garlands of greenery, lights, or other decoration with lots of different themes, wherever we want. All kinds of wall or 'hanging' decor options, I guess is what I'm asking for. To hang on gates, walls, cliffs, houses, etc. I suppose letting us hang them on our houses might be tricky programming...not really sure about that...but it'd be really cool. I don't celebrate Xmas or any other holiday of the sort, but I've always loved the idea of decorating for the seasons. Unfortunately I've never owned my own house, so I've never gotten primary say in exterior decoration, and everyone else I've ever lived with has been a lot more conservative than me when it comes to aesthetics, heh. (Though I usually get to take over the gardens, wherever I am, because no one else wants to do the work but everybody likes the look, so if I wanna put gardens in, they just let me.)

There's a LOT of new info buried in those teeny video clips on the website!

I wonder how fast weeds re-grow. I love the way they look when they're adult weeds, with the pretty flowers and fronds waving around, but I know you need them for crafting, too, so I'm gonna need to collect a lot of them, most likely, even if they look great growing on the ground.

Here's an interesting screenshot off the website. Large, so behind a cut:
Spoiler:
EDIT: I did notice two door decorations I've never seen before in the Direct, besides the flower wreathes and other stuff that we saw back around E3 and in September. It was a
Spoiler:
paw print on a wooden tree disk/plaque, and a wreathe made of seashells.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Rewatched the direct and added a lot more info, added a bunch of screenshots (went a little crazy ><‘) and other things. Even added a poll ;p

Might still add stuff as I go but I think I got a lot covered :lol:
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't honestly remember the last time I was this excited for a game. It is "just" Animal Crossing, right? But... I don't know. Maybe it is because RL has been pretty awful lately, so the pure escapism into the sweet, colorful, and friendly world where you have a daily deathmatch against dangerous bugs has been extra appealing to me lately.

A quick note about special characters for the intro post:
Spoiler:
Harvey is a returning special character, he was introduced in the New Leaf Welcome amiibo update.