Nintendo Direct, tomorrow (Feb 17th)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Let the speculation begin (if you want!) Gotta say though, as someone with no use for Smash, I'm really sick of it taking up time in new general presentations for more than TWO YEARS. :P At least Animal Crossing sticks to having news in their own little segments, and it's not even a full year, yet. Well...maybe they'll end up sticking ACNH news in there, too, since we're soon going to be at an end of adding back in the seasonal celebrations and will be in new territory.
Games that came up in the Feb 17th 2021 Nintendo Direct:
Spoiler:
  • New Smash character for release in March
  • Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout - Summer 2021
  • Outer Wilds - Summer 2021
  • 2 Famicom Detective Club mystery games - May 14th, preorders today
  • Samurai Warriors 5 - Summer 2021
  • Legend of Mana - June 24
  • Monster Hunter Rise - March 26
  • Mario Golf Super Rush - June 25
  • Tales from the Borderlands - March...25th?
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium - today
  • Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
  • No More Heroes 3 - August 27th
  • Neon White - Winter 2021
  • DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power - June 4
  • Plants Versus Zombies: Battle for Neighbourville - March 19
  • Miitopia - May 21
  • ACNH update (surprisingly intricate Mario stuff) - Feb 25th
  • Triangle Strategy (working title, an Octopath game, more or less) - Demo available
  • Star Wars Hunters - 2021
  • Knockout City - May 21
  • World's End Club - May 28
  • Hades (physical release) - March 19
  • Ninja Gaiden Master Collection - June 10
  • DLC Expansion Pass (three waves) for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Bravely Default II - February 26
  • Ghosts and Goblins: Resurrection - February 25
  • SaGa Frontier Remaster - April 15th
  • Apex Legends - March 9
  • Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - July 16
  • Skyward Sword joycons - July 16
  • Splatoon 3 - 2022
Here is a link to the Direct. It may take a while for it to be updated to be watchable after it is no longer live and before Nintendo adds the individual announcement videos.
Last edited by Kikki on Feb 18, 2021 5:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oooo, I'll have to watch it on my phone because we're having a lot of blackouts right now. I am excited tho. It's LoZ's 35th anniversary, so I expect news of the Switch ports of the WiiU remasters. I also expect a Phantom Hourglass remaster/remake because a trademark surfaced last week. I know a lot of people want a 'Windwaker Trilogy'. I think my personal want is full remakes ala Link's Awakening for the Oracle games. They could use some TLC and a nice glowup.

As for other personal wants, ehhhh, I can't think of too much I'm clamouring for besides dates for Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Rune Factory 5. But you know, surprise me, Nintendo!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm not expecting anything...NDs are way more fun if you don't expect anything. But with Zelda 35th, speculation on LoZ ports are pretty rampant, and I do think they may show short clips of the future of New Horizons, though I don't think it would be anything detailed if they did, just little teasers.

I also think Nintendo will have another full Direct for E3 this year. Or, that's what I'm hoping, anyway. They'll cover news of the first half of 2021 this time, and news for the latter half of 2021 and into 2022 in an E3 presentation, is what I'm guessing.

It'll be fun no matter what. Directs often have diddly squat for me, but I still like them, they always look spiffy and sometimes have cute presentation.

If Nintendo wants me to gasp so hard it'd feel like I swallowed my own heart, they'd announce an XCX port, but...er, well...that's still in the pipe-dreams category, so it's not like I'm actually looking for that. Any LoZ ports and even a teaser of ACNH going into its second year would make this an awesome Direct for me, but even without them, the only way I wouldn't find it fun if it's nearly all Smash. I reeeeeeeeeeally don't need a third year of Smash announcements.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I should go in with low expectations, but the Zelda anniversary isn't going to let me looool. I just realized we might get BoTW2 news as well. That'd be grand as it's been close to 2 years with no news.

I'd like to think my expectations aren't too realistic, because I can get ridiculous if I'm really feeling up to it. There's a lot of games that I like/love that are stuck on old consoles that I personally feel deserve remasters, ports, or remakes, but I also know how the industry works, so it's not worth getting too hyped. Games like Trials of Mana, a remake of a (at the time) unlocalized SNES game that came out of freaking no where, do give me a little hope for the hidden gems I hoard like a dragon, but those instances are very rare indeed.

I guess if there was anything I'd want that isn't expected, the confirmation of the 3 Yokai Watch games on Switch getting localized would be fantastic. As someone who has played all three of them, they're a genuine blast and I know a lot of people who would enjoy them. I would also love for Ciel Nosurge and Ar Nosurge games to get announced, but let's not get crazy... *sigh*
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Since E3 announced that they're 'hard at work' on E3 2021 in digital format, and that they're 'having great conversations with publishers, developers and companies across the board' and plan to have multiple two-hour keynote session with game partners (I can only think this means the BIG gaming houses), I'm thinking there's little to no chance we'll see BotW2 in tomorrow's presentation...I think if they've got anything ready, they'll save it for E3 in 4-ish months, or for their own presentation within a similar time frame. Maybe some little teaser, but I'd be really shocked if they showed more than that, unless the release date is sooner than I think it is (I can't imagine it being out before end-of-year 2021 at earliest.) They're supposedly only showing us stuff that's already out, or is coming out in the first half of this year.

I'm not sure how much stuff they'll show of third-party or indie stuff...seems like they may be finally concentrating on first party stuff, this time, but if they're putting a bit of everything in, then maybe we'll catch a look at Littlewood and RF5 (in the Japanese presentation, but probably not the NA one) and Olive Town. Be awesome for the fandoms if they had something to show on Bayonetta and Metroid 4, though I personally don't care about them at all...it'd still make for a big, exciting Direct.

I'd love to have some big total surprise of a new game, though, like, uh...Xenoblade 3, or Splatoon 3, or something. (Not that I give a hoot about Splatoon, but I like big announcements even when they have nothing to do with me.) Naturally something like that can't be 'expected', though.

It'd be wonderful to have a Direct that has at least a little something for just about everybody (except the people who only tune in to troll.)
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I know it’ll never happen but I still hold on to a glimmer of hope that they’ll someday bring over Mother 1-3 for the switch (aka: Earthbound) I know they have the 1st one on the classic and they have the 2nd one (the one we got in the states) on the 3DS but still. ;3; Come on Nintendo! People would go crazy for all three of them!!!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I know nothing about Mother 3 (or Mother 1 or 2) but I know a lot of people want it. It's way less unlikely than another wish I saw today: someone hoping for a Switch port of Little King's Story. For one thing, that'd be up to Xseed, afaik, not Nintendo, and Xseed doesn't do Switch ports. For another...almost no one cares about that game, so there isn't enough momentum to get the companies to sit up and take notice. There're probably more people calling for a Fantasy Life port than a Little King's Story port, and I don't think there's any hope for Fantasy Life, either. I sure would love to see a proper Fantasy Life 2, but I have no reason to think that'll be coming, let alone in tomorrow's Direct, lol.

Okay, let's be ridiculous? Maybe not even taking into account whether these are first party, third party, or indies? Sure. If I can wave a wand (or a spatula or something) and get whatever I want, then I'd like to see...
  • Fantasy Life (port)
  • Fantasy Life 2 (new game)
  • Ports for Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Skyward Sword...and might as well throw in A Link to the Past, as well.
  • BotW2 trailer, or just a teaser with release window or promise of more information this summer
  • Port of Xenoblade Chronicles X, preferably with QoL improvements in audio and UI controls
  • Xenoblade 3 or XCX2...or both!
  • Monosoft's new IP we've had no word on in years.
  • Bayonetta 3 or 4 or whatever it is (I don't care about it but I like big news that gets larger markets all excited)
  • Splatoon 3 (ditto the above)
  • Metroid 4 or whatever it's called (again, ditto the above)
  • Pikmin 4
  • Monster Hunter Stories release date
  • More Tales of ports coming to Switch (This one is just weird.)
  • Mineko's Night Market release (I don't care about it anymore, but it bugs me that it dropped off the radar.)
  • Rune Factory 5 in English (though I think it really could show up in the Japanese Direct.)
  • Astral Chain 2 (Haven't played the first, but I know it was a big hit.)
  • Re: Legend Switch release annoucement
  • Digimon Survive trailer and release window (I think they scrapped it and started over, or something.
That's all I can think of for now. That would be one insane Direct. Of those, only some of the Zelda ports and the Monster Hunter Stories release date seem particularly probable. But while these would all add a lot of excitement to an ND, I'm not expecting any of them. In reality, I'm just gonna watch and see if they show anything cute. Just show me one cute thing that I think looks interesting, Nintendo, I challenge you. One thing! But if you don't...I'll still watch, and won't regret having done so. (Unless it's all Smash, and then I'm gonna get stabby.)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Ey, I'll be back from the doctor's before the direct!

Confirmation that Smash information will be in the direct doesn't bode well, imo. That tends to eat up at least 20 minutes. I wonder if there'll be any more mention of the Mario anniversary now that everything planned for it has come out? I'm still guessing Nintendo won't delve into Zelda anniversary stuff until after March...

I DO think a Zelda anniversary teaser trailer will happen though. I wonder, honestly, if this direct will set up the first half of the year more than delve into specifics.

Isn't Monster Hunter the only major release on the horizon? I know we have our sim games, but...I highly doubt they'll show up tomorrow. Since it's the first direct in an eternity, first party only is most likely. At most major releases. No indies, for sure.

Nintendo definitely has some work to do. Aside from for exercise I haven't touched my Switch since mid December. I do think there'll be a few surprises, though. They seem to be getting better at not pulling Prime 4/Bayo 3 anymore... (I wonder if Prime 4 is even far enough along for a teaser trailer. Bayo 3 is likely a nope if Kamiya is correct.)

If I feel up to it I'll wander back tomorrow, but...for now, Good luck, everybody! :D
String
Disabled: User Name Change

Post  Posted:

They might slip some Pokemon news there too. Or Sonic the Hedgehog news. Pokemon is celebrating 25 years and Sonic is celebrating 30 years. So uh, just surprised no-one mentioned those two franchises. Here's to a good (and well-waited) direct. At least hoping.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pokemon and Sonic are both completely off my radar...I'm not into either. It's not something that would occur to me. I didn't even think Sonic was a Nintendo property, tbh, and I tend to think of Pokemon as Game Freak's baby, rather than Nintendo's, so whatever promotions happen tend to be dictated by Game Freak. Basically, they just don't come to mind, for me, though if something is prepared already, certainly Nintendo could announce it. Whatever they announce, I hope it's enough to get people excited about the next half year...something much more than mere additions to Smash or Animal Crossing. Nintendo's game release schedule has been DRAB for quite a while, now. It needs a boost. Even if they don't go with the stuff *I* would want, I still want to see things pick up. Right now it feels hard to believe Nintendo thinks they've got enough going on to keep saying that the Switch is only half way through its life cycle.

EDIT: I forgot. We've already got Pokemon on the way. Pokemon Snap is due out in...April? So it's not at all unlikely to see something of that one since it already fits the criteria they've given.
Last edited by Kikki on Feb 16, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I think they might slip in Bravely Default II since it's coming out on the 26th. I'd love to see news on English release for RF5 and (although very unlikely) Golden Sun. I'll never stop hoping GS pulls off a Fire Emblem lol
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I hope not with Bravely Default, we just got a long trailer where the female narrator roasts you the whole time.

Fire Emblem could be possible though, as they've hinted in some recent interviews that they're working on something. I hope it's remakes for FE4&5 or enhanced ports of FE9&10 if it ends up showing up.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pfft, the new Bravely Default II trailer from Feb 10th? Yeah, the narrator's condescension was annoying. Made me glad not to be someone waiting on that game, lol. Like 'some of you are too stupid to use the combat system the way we want you to, so here is a video expressing just how dumb we really think you are'. I'm not sure which people that trailer was supposed to appeal to. People who are annoyed at others who don't use the default option often enough?

The graphics are cute, though.

EDIT: Got my Switch tuned on the Nintendo Channel on YouTube so that I can watch it on a bigger screen. Come on, Nintendo, entertain me. It won't take much, just don't spend all your time on existing games...news on upcoming games and new announcements are WAY more important, right now. I don't even care what new stuff you reveal, as long as there's a decent amount of it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think most people took it in stride or sorta clowned on it. I saw a lot of "Geez, ok, mom" when the trailer first dropped.

Also, @ the Golden Sun comment, while I'm not a very big fan of the series, it could really do with a remake or reboot. The first two games were originally just supposed to be one big JRPG journey but had to be cut into two halves due to GBA limitations. I never played the DS game, but I heard it was bogged down with too much dialog and ended on a cliffhanger. Camelot basically makes all the Mario Sports games now, and it's kinda a shame seeing as they're more than capable of other genres.

Honestly, I'd probably play a Golden Sun remakes IF it was all once game like it was supposed to be. I'm willing to give anything a chance again.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

After the Direct is over, I will update the original post with a list of games covered, as well as a link to watch (Nintendo updates their site a bit slowly, but they always include individual videos of each game shown, which is really nice). They will be under a spoiler cut, but you all can feel free to discuss whatever you want in comments, if anything fun gets shown.

C'mon, Nintendo! I'm probably one of your easiest-to-please fans right now since I have no specific expectations, so if you make even ME disappointed, that'll be the pits. All I want is it not to be all about Smash and/or Animal Crossing with nothing fresh in the mix. Show us something interesting.

EDIT: Ten minutes in and I'd already call this Direct a success. I think I saw something that will make Bluie very happy, at least, and an old game that a lot of people want to play again.