* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 23, 2020 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Terranigma Freak
Post Posted: May 07, 2020 4:34 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Weird question. I know there are tons of farming games, but are there any survival farming games? I'm playing Harvest Moon Sunshine Island and suddenly realized a concept where you're trying to farm to survive might be cool. Sunshine Island is still just regular old HM in that you grow crops to make money to build your farm. I'm thinking something like growing crops to eat so you don't die. Store food to last through the winter and try to survive kind of game. Does something like this exist?

Bluie
Post Posted: May 07, 2020 5:18 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Maybe Farm for your Life?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2663 ... your_Life/

Or the upcoming DYSMANTLE?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846770/DYSMANTLE/

Don't Starve might also be close to what you're looking for.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/219740/Dont_Starve/

Shepherd's Crossing 2 on DS would result in a game over if you didn't store enough food from your farm. That's a bit of a tricky game to get these days.

Kikki
Post Posted: May 07, 2020 5:51 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I don't know if this counts, because it's not a farming game with survival elements...it's a survival game with farming elements. But you can look into Stranded Deep, if you want...it's available on Steam and PS4 for sure...dunno if it's on any other consoles or not.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: May 07, 2020 6:18 pm 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

In terms of...survival games with farming elements there's Rimworld. I'm not sure if Oxygen Not Included has farming, haven't seen enough of that one, but I'd imagine so. (Oxygen Not Included is pretty tough, afaik, seems fun though.)

Specifically on the get enough food to survive the winter thing...I know I've seen stuff more like that but I'm blanking. There is also something like Banished? It's more of a city builder, but farming is pretty integral when your people starve to death.

Terranigma Freak
Post Posted: May 07, 2020 7:05 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Thanks for the recommendations. A lot of interesting choices, but not quite what I had in mind. I'm still going to try them out since maybe the trailer isn't a good indicator.

I'm looking for equal parts farming and surviving. Who knows, maybe a game like this will exist some day.

Hosscatt
Post Posted: May 16, 2020 7:41 am 

Green Project just released on Steam today. Haven't played it yet, but maybe take a look.

Lenna36
Post Posted: May 20, 2020 12:46 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

I can vouch for Oxygen Not Included having a farm/ranch to live aspect as it eventually becomes the only source of food for the duplicates.

Terranigma Freak
Post Posted: May 22, 2020 7:43 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Lenna36 wrote:
I can vouch for Oxygen Not Included having a farm/ranch to live aspect as it eventually becomes the only source of food for the duplicates.

Hosscatt wrote:
Green Project just released on Steam today. Haven't played it yet, but maybe take a look.

Thanks for these suggestions. They look very interesting with Green Project being the closest to what I had in mind. Though Oxygen Not Included seems fun too.

HM Silverbane
Post Posted: May 28, 2020 6:23 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Have you tried any of the 'Lost in Blue' series on ds/3ds? They are more survival than farm mind, but that might be closer to the type you are after?

Have you seen the one before sunshine islands, I think it was called 'island of happiness' its similar to sunshine islands but there are no houses there but your and the general store. Call it the prequal to sunshine islands lol. I tried it but my character kept starving, and I couldn't sell any forage because I needed to eat it all the time XD so my island stayed under developed.
https://fogu.com/hm7/
That's the one! It might be hard to get though as I don't think it was as popular as sunshine islands

Now, if you own a copy of stardew valley there are many mods that can change things up. I'm pretty sure there is a hunger mod, in fact I'm sure I saw one that overhauled pretty much the whole food system.
If you can play a side scroller pixel game then starbound has some elements. With frakkin universe there are a lot of farmables, but that mod is more about science! than farming. But you could go the route of using what used to Bethe 'yes, Chef' + more farmables mod that added many crops and a new way to cook/prepare the food on top, then grab one of the hunger overhaul mods.

If you can deal with zombies, there is '7days to die' if you play offline on ether the navazgane map or your own custom map you can use (again lol. So many games add hunger overhauls) mods to change things as you like.
I tend to use 7days with zombie spawning off, hoard mode off and just treat it like end of the world farm simulator lol.
(But I need a zombie mod that swaps all their noises for ones from something like rez evil or I have problems with them I just hate the noises they make lol) you need to build and scavenge stuff, watch your food and water meter. Make sure you drink only purified water or boiled at least, or ya get dysentery. They got wolves and bears, NPC traders.
If you use the default Navazgane map there is even a farm already to be claimed! With corn in rows and a barn too.

Many games in the survival genre would probably work, but it depends on if there is farming in them.
And...if you have the old Java Minecraft, there are some (few, but they do exist) servers that have farm and economy type non-pvp servers with protection.
There is also the old Minecraft packs called "magic farm" or if you have the ATLauncher there is something modded to specifically be like a cross between Minecraft, stardew valley and harvest moon. Has custom farming, seasons and even a harvest goddess and you build the village house by house. I think its called "farming valley" and "farming valley lite" ( the lite version for machines with less ram that struggle with the main pack)
But any pack with Pam's harvestcraft and cooking for blockheads will let you survive a bit while farming.

Finally....there is the sims. Sims 1 and 2 are harder to run on win7 thru 10 but sims 3 and 4 work fine. The survival element can be worked on with sims4 and the 'off the grid' lot trait, but there is a patch coming in June ready for the 'eco living' pack that will add changes. We get ladders in base game ( only took em 5 bloomin years, mind XD) and build materials ( like walls n floors) get eco ratings. When the pack hits it has more off grid things, but I just use stuff from mod the sims lol, like off grid loo.
If you can find an old copy of "sims castaway stories" that might scratch the survival itch, but its like Lost in Blue, more survival and less farm.

Oh, and there is also "my time at Portia" tho that is not survival as such, but does have farming. Not sure if you could mod that. An another called "staxel" which again, does not have hunger/thirst but *IS* modable. So someone may have wanted that. If you like swimming, there is "subnautica" lots of survival, less of the farming till you find the alien plants.

Code_Name_Geek
Post Posted: May 28, 2020 8:57 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

HM Silverbane wrote:
Have you tried any of the 'Lost in Blue' series on ds/3ds? They are more survival than farm mind, but that might be closer to the type you are after?

Just going to add to this and say that the "Lost in Blue" series was a continuation of a previous series known as "Survival Kids", which included at least one game on the GBC. I think it's pretty difficult to find nowadays, however.

HM Silverbane
Post Posted: Jun 03, 2020 12:50 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

yep! Survival kids had one game that released outside of japan and one that i think was only for japan.
i have the first one as a physical cart and tried the seccond one via other means years ago.
both are fun but the 2nd ones hard if you cant understand the language.
i especialy liked the way you could choose to stay on the island and how some of the recipes were actualy logical.

once they got to DS, it became slightly easier because you could make seeweed salad lol. my character should be a mermaid, the amount of beach seeweed i ate in those games