* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 29, 2020 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Kikki
Post Posted: Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

This is not actually supposed to end up as another rendition of the 'your favourite games/series of all time' theme. I was thinking about games that I KNOW I'll love, generally because of the series they belong to, and I realized that none of my all-time favourite games belong to these series. But let's see how it ends up.

Xenoblade 1 and X are all-time faves, as is Tales of Xillia, Twilight Princess, Rune Factory 4. But NONE of those games belong to series that I KNOW I will love whatever game they next release. I didn't love XC2. I don't love most Tales games, or even Rune Factory or Bokumono games, and certainly I don't even like some the Legend of Zelda games. I wait for those games with a measure of trepidation, never sure how much I'll end up liking the next one. I'll always TRY a new entry in a favourite series, but I'm not guaranteed to love it. So I'm not asking for your the series your favourite games belong to. I'm asking what series you play where, when a new game in it is about to come out, you know you'll have a huge amount of fun with it, without even knowing anything about it. I'm sure some will be on your favourites list...but I bet they won't all be. It wasn't that way for me, anyway!

For me, there's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I have massive fun with every single game and know I would again when/if another one comes out (please oh please!) Ace Attorney means guaranteed laughs as well as startling plot twists and quite frequently a good deal of pathos. I also know I'll always have a blast with a Dragon Quest Builders game. Animal Crossing will always suck me in and eat hundreds of my hours, though I can't rank a single AC game as an all-time favourite. Aaaaaand...that's about it! There are very few series I feel that level of confidence in. What about you? What series have your utmost confidence, in terms of how much fun you'll have with it?

Did it end up being another list of all-time faves?

Shan O 123
Post Posted: Jun 18, 2020 6:02 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I never thought I’d love catching Pokémon years ago until I gotten Pokémon moon. I remember playing one of the older games on a console without knowing what it was. Lol I remember pressing random buttons while somehow winning. I was about 10 XD

I always knew what AC was so that probably doesn’t count.

I’m going to say HM. Just because I never heard of it until I randomly bought sunshine islands about 8 years ago. Then I came here. And I just realized that I’m old...lol

Bluie
Post Posted: Jun 18, 2020 6:33 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Anything Fire Emblem mainline is an automatic love. I've only ever played one FE game I didn't love, but as years went by, I ended up coming around to it. There are only 4 games in the series I haven't played and I want to desperately, but I lack the systems or setup to do so. Even without playing them, I still look on them fondly. Intelligent Systems has a new engine now, so I wouldn't put it past them to churn out remakes of the games I haven't played in due time. I hope.

Rune Factory is another big one. I used to hold the series as my favourite of all time, but that feeling slowly burned out after Neverland's bankruptcy and me resigning to the fact that the series was probably dead outside enhanced re-releases. Still loved it though, replayed every mainline entry 3 times each (not the wii or ps3 titles though, again, no system or setup for them) and had a special place in my gamer heart for them. I was shocked and pleased to see it is indeed not dead and i look forward to the 5th entry.

I would scream like a fangirl if another Toukiden game ever came to be. I absolutely adore the series for its gameplay, art style, and world building. I played the first game twice, three times if you count its expansion, and then almost 100%ed the sequel. I need more of this series, I don't want it to die off in favour of other series in the genre.

One last one, a smaller series that completely took me by surprise this year is fault, a visual novel series that I have become an avid fan of. So far there's two volumes (3rd in the works) and a spinoff - all of which were captivating and i just can't wait for the next entry. I check my Steam wishlist often to see if there's any news on the release I'm so excited lol.

There are a lot of other series that I do really love, but I can't guarantee to myself that I'll love them before playing them anymore. Atelier, Dept Heaven, Samurai Warriors, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy - all series I love specific entries from or the majority of the series, but I can't just know I'll love them anymore. There have been some golden eggs and some rotten ones in each that I've listed, so now I approach them with cautious optimism, usually still buying the newest title regardless, but I have no problem dropping them like a hot potato if need be.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jun 19, 2020 2:06 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

After playing Xillia 1 and 2 and loving them, and eventually Zestiria and quite liking it, and Berseria being fun even though I didn't really like the main party that time, and then absolutely hating Tales of Graces f and only liking Hearts R and Vesperia, I started out thinking I'd just love the series, but realize as I went on that I don't. It ended up being a pick-and-choose thing for me...I will really love a few of them, but the rest...not at all. I ended up taking Tales off my favourite series list entirely. I'll always be interested in a new game, but I know they probably won't end up on a favourites level. I'm super interested in Arise because they're shaking things up a bit, but I already know it may not be enough, as just from the first picture shown and going by previous games, I guessed several things about the basic plot and main character types/roles, and wasn't at all happy to find out that I was right, lol, cuz that means it's probably just the graphics that have gotten a shake up, that the plots and tropes they tend to use will be the same.

Xenoblade, too...I was sure every entry would be a major love of mine, but then XC2 happened, and it was really predictable (to me) and I realized that sometimes a series being new to you would be when it had the most impact, and it could be that no game after would feel as fresh and unique again, so I knew I'd alway be excited when a new game was coming up in the series, but it wasn't a guaranteed love any more. (I felt weird when playing XC2. I remember feeling sort of...disconnected, and feeling strange that I was playing Xenoblade, and not loving it. It felt like any other pretty-good game that I liked, but not at all like the first one, where I just couldn't put it down. The game itself really wasn't bad but that disappointed and faintly betrayed feeling stuck with me.)

But the 3 series I mentioned never let me down. They never get old, even if they have all the same components and don't try to reinvent the wheel, I'm gonna love them every time. I guess that's the disadvantage that series like Tales of and Xenoblade have (with me) is that I want them to shake things up and use NEW ideas each time, not reuse all the same tropes, blended in different order or configuration, but still highly recognizable as plots they've used before. Story-based games need to surprise me, it seems. Or be like X and have such an amazing world that the exploration alone is a huge draw. Guess that's why two of the series I mentioned are not story-based, and the one that is, is a mystery, and thus kinda needs to go out of its way to be surprising.

It always makes me happy that a silly game like Ace Attorney, where they will sometimes TELL YOU WHO THE CRIMINAL IS FROM THE VERY START, still makes it tricky to figure out how it all went down, and how you can actually prove they're the guilty party.

Man, I could so go for another Ace Attorney. There's nothing else quite like it. Wish there were!

Bluie
Post Posted: Jun 19, 2020 3:00 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

With Atelier, I really love the series a lot, but not every game is a winner with me. I disliked Meruru, Annie was just... not good, and the entire mysterious trilogy just didn't click very well with me. Things are much better with Ryza though, so I'm hoping for good things in the future. The Dept Heaven games had a great run with their most recent game being pretty bad. I've honestly given up on seeing any more in the series that isn't another port. I'd love a Switch port of Knights in the Nightmare, but I have little faith in the series as a whole anymore. Pokemon became a mixed bag with me around the later DS titles. I loved everything prior to Heart Gold, and then I fell out of love for the series until X&Y pulled me back in. Overall they either click or they don't when it comes to anything in the series.

I really do love Dragon Quest, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed every entry. VI's story and cast just didn't resonate with me and I'm also not a huge fan of the fan favorite VIII. Being real though, I would play Dragon Quest X like a religion if it ever got localized, but I've given up on it now. Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons has always been a mixed bag. I like specific entries in the series and dislike a lot of the entries. Whenever there's a new entry, I can't help but wonder if I end up liking it or not. Same feeling with Final Fantasy.

Finally, Toukiden completely overtook my love for Monster Hunter and Samurai Warriors. It's pretty much both of them combined. Monster Hunter World, the newest entry, has yet to resonate with me (I keep trying to like it, I do) and Samurai Warriors needs to innovate because the series has gotten very stale. I don't expect to see a new title for either of them until well into the PS5's lifespan.