FE:3H Newbie questions

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

That's right, just started playing today.

Trying to stay away from Meta-Gaming by going through 'Best Choices' videos and such. I figured I'd go into this and just make choices based on gut feelings and how I like/dislike characters. So playing on Normal/Casual (first time ... so).

I said I was from the old Empire and and leading Black Eagles. Just finished the first month. Talked to every single person in free time. Planted seeds quest done. Ate meal quest done. Fishing quest done. Couldn't find anymore.

Questions. One of the quest awards was some seeds. So ... I want to plant them in the garden. However I can't select the seeds when talking to the lady in the Greenhouse as they are in Storage. I can view them in Storage, but can't figure out how to get them to my inventory so the lady in the Greenhouse will let me plant them. If I view them in the Storage the only option I have is to sell them.

I caught some good fish while fishing and they are in Storage ... but not sure what to do with them. The gold fish sells for a lot, but should I save it for something else?

I ran out of fish bait. Where do I buy some more? The guy at the pier just says I have no bait. Well I know that.

Anything else I should know (non-spoilerish) going into month two?

Thanks.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Ok, answers one at a time.

1. I'm pretty sure gardening will open up next month so just talk to the woman in the greenhouse next month to start planting.

2. Fish can be used to cook meals in the mess hall with one of your students. The gold fish can just be sold for cash.

3. During a specific month, you should get a quest to complete that will let you purchase bait. Until then, you can explore the monastery and find sparkling spots that may turn out to be things like baits or teas or other items.

As for stuff for month 2...nothing off the top of my head. The game is pretty good about letting you learn what you need in its own time. The only thing I can think of is that if you're playing as female Byleth, you can recruit Sylvain pretty much automatically if you want to.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your playthrough!
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:Questions. One of the quest awards was some seeds. So ... I want to plant them in the garden. However I can't select the seeds when talking to the lady in the Greenhouse as they are in Storage. I can view them in Storage, but can't figure out how to get them to my inventory so the lady in the Greenhouse will let me plant them. If I view them in the Storage the only option I have is to sell them.
I'm not exactly sure if I got your problem right; I assume you have the garden unlocked since you did say you did the planting quest, but the options when talking to the lady are greyed out and can't be selected? You can only plant one time every free day. So if you've planted seeds already for that week's free day, you'll have to wait for the next free day to plant new ones.
LeBurns wrote:I caught some good fish while fishing and they are in Storage ... but not sure what to do with them. The gold fish sells for a lot, but should I save it for something else?
Fish are some of the ingredients when having meals with your students.
LeBurns wrote:I ran out of fish bait. Where do I buy some more? The guy at the pier just says I have no bait. Well I know that.
You'll get a quest around month 4 or 5, iirc, that will unlock additional merchants who will sell bait, tea leaves, ingredients, etc once completed.

Have fun!!
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Thanks all!

Okay so I guess doing the planting quest took my one time planting option for the month. I'll keep the seeds and see if next month I can plant stuff. BTW is it worth paying to have the crop taken care off? I think I can pay 300 gold to manage the seeds I planted for the quest, but decided against doing that.

Honestly I'm not sure what 'actions' are taking an activity point and which one's aren't. It seems that without warning I was suddenly without any points to spend.

I did level up my professorship during the first month and some pop-up said I should have more points now, which I assume means next month.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The main point of gardening is to get food to cook with or have supply for the kitchen to make specific meals. Cooking with a character improves their support with you and will have your whole party stat boosts for the month. Participating in meals with students&teachers of your choosing will also raise support (for all parties involved if applicable) and you have the potential to see some unique dialog if you dine with characters that are friends or hate eachother, ect.

Taking care of your crops can yield more therefore more eating options and more support gained. IIRC, you can also get flowers from gardening that you can give to people as gifts for support boosts too.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You can plant + harvest each "explore the monastery" period so long as you have seeds. Theoretically you could do that 4 times a month, but I don't recommend that.

The first month it's pretty limited/scripted just so you can get used to the mechanics.

Paying for extra watering/taking care of the plants i think yields better odds for stat items + more crops/flowers but not 100% sure.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:Honestly I'm not sure what 'actions' are taking an activity point and which one's aren't. It seems that without warning I was suddenly without any points to spend.
Actions that take activity points include eating meals, cooking, having tea, choir, the fighting tourney, and faculty learning (I may have missed some). Actions that don't take activity points are fishing and planting, so you can go right ahead and do them every time you explore the monastery without having to worry ^^
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Pachi wrote:
LeBurns wrote:Honestly I'm not sure what 'actions' are taking an activity point and which one's aren't. It seems that without warning I was suddenly without any points to spend.
Actions that take activity points include eating meals, cooking, having tea, choir, the fighting tourney, and faculty learning (I may have missed some). Actions that don't take activity points are fishing and planting, so you can go right ahead and do them every time you explore the monastery without having to worry ^^
Yeah going into month two I did the mock battle (won without losing anyone), then I did the choir (and lost a point dang it) and ate with a couple students. Zero points left but I did harvest and plant some herbs, and I found ONE worm and fished with it and caught a golden fish ... so I guess I'll sell that. I got some iron/steel weapons and a healing potion. I spoke with everyone. Everything is set up now to start the 'Kill some Bandits' quest, which I think is all that's left for the free day.

This fortress is huge. I know I have to run around everywhere looking for the blue glowing items, but dang. Maybe if I was playing on the big TV screen it wouldn't be so bad, but on a Switch Lite it's seems so big.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Before you do an action that takes action points, the action point bar at the top will flash what the cost is (so like if you have 1 action point the whole bar flashes, if you have 4 action points 1/4 of the bar flashes, etc)

Farming can be used to grow flowers (which is what I usually use it for) which can be given as gifts to raise support points and morale.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Congrats getting through the mock battle!

I also play on the switch lite; you'll get used to it haha. The monastery's so pretty though; on my first playthrough, I spent a lot of time just wandering and sightseeing tbh :lol:
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Dang this game. It's been a long time since any game has kept me up past my bedtime without me even realizing it. This one just keeps doing it.

I just finished the mission where we were supposed to be looking for an assassin, and I got the sword.

I think I've screwed up some stuff though and been wondering if I should restart. I didn't realize that each week I could do more than just explore, so I ended up grinding a lot during the last month to catch up. I think at this point I already know I'll be replaying though so I may just let this game be my 'live and learn' experience.

No idea how I'm supposed to 'instruct' and I seem to screw that up a lot. My advice given at the church drop box has been terrible to say the least. My tea parties are okay I guess. I have gotten pretty good at returning lost items though. But support has been really slow in increasing. I finally figured out I could bring someone from another house to my missions, though I forgot to invite anyone last month, so that was a waste.

Wondering, should I wait until I've maxed out someone's current class before upgrading them to the next level of class? Seems you get a bonus for maxing the class and I don't know if moving on ahead is worth missing that bonus.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Pachi wrote:Congrats getting through the mock battle!

I also play on the switch lite; you'll get used to it haha. The monastery's so pretty though; on my first playthrough, I spent a lot of time just wandering and sightseeing tbh :lol:
One of my biggest issues was I couldn't read the 'fine print' on the small screen. I finally had to pull out my old reading glasses to wear while playing. Game's a little easier when I can read about what's going on.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Honestly, it's really hard to screw up especially on easy/normal mode. Just go through the motions and if you miss out on stuff, just remember for next time.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Haha, this game keeps me up way past my bedtime too.

You'll get the hang of giving advice at the church once you get to know the personalities of the student/person asking for advice. You would soon think, "What would this person like to hear?"

You can build support (even with students outside your house) through the choir, eating, and tea parties, so you can spam people you want to build support with with those.

I like to max out the advanced and intermediate classes, especially if they'll be learning a blow skill, while not really for the beginning classes.

Oh yeah, the font is just so tiny lmao it's one of the very few complaints I've got with the game.

And like Brose said, you'll be fine haha. I was also overthinking everything on my first playthrough (which skills to instruct, what to do each free day, etc) and also thought of restarting once I got past the tutorial months, but it still went well :)
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I know this is more than ten days old, but starting a new thread, about the exact same thing, when this thread is still on the front page I thought was overkill.

Just wanted to note that after 105 hours I finally finished the Blue Lion route. I suppose I'll do Deer next, get that perspective, and then wrap up with Eagles, Edelgard's route.

Overall impression ... I really liked it. I plan on the other play through's to be shorter as I'm not going to try to recruit everyone and see every side-quest they have. I gave the ring to Catherine ... as the students just all seemed to have ... well issues.

NO PAIR UPS at the end though, which surprised me since I had about everyone at A rank with everyone else. The only person mentioned in the endings who got married was Dorthea, and it was to someone we don't know. Strange since some of their A rank stories really made it sound like they were going to hook up after the war.

Edelgard ... man I really see her point of view, I really do, but I just can't agree with how she did things, though in the end what she did came very close to giving her the world she wanted anyway ... she just had to kill a whole lot of people and die for it.

Any input on story, etc. welcome.