* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Apr 14, 2021 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 2:56 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Okay, I just posted about this in the announcements thread, but you know what? We had a lot of My Time at Portia players here on FOGU, so maybe the fact that a sequel, My Time at Sandrock, is being Kickstarted beginning today, is worth its own thread.

My Time at Sandrock Kickstarter. It has a nice long video to watch. They currently plan to have the game on Steam in March 2021, and to get to full release by spring 2022. (Summer 2022 for consoles.) They've been working on the game for 2 years already, and it is about 35% complete. They plan to finish regardless of the Kickstarter, but the Kickstarter is meant to give them the funds to really flesh out the multiplayer system, which will be bare-bones if they don't get more funding.

As per my 'announcements' post, I don't feel justified in shelling out money for a console version of their PC-designed games, even though they're promising to fix everything that went wrong with the console versions of Portia. They never bothered to fix Portia itself or update the content, so I currently see it as an empty promise. I don't trust them now, not for console.

But they make a GREAT game on PC. Don't be afraid to back them if that'll be your platform. :) Here is an article on the new Kickstarter from Gematsu, if you'd like to see that.

Bluie
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 3:57 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I'm just gonna repeat what I said in the other thread:

Spoiler:
Bluie wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Time at Sandrock. I did enjoy what I played with Portia, but I never ended up finishing it because the story dissolved into 'fix this thing before Higgins, but it actually doesn't matter' + it was never fully optimized on Switch. After getting married and going through 2 in game years with the game, I lost the motivation to go back. I've tried to several times, but it just stopped being fun.

I also think that they don't need to Kickstart their second game. They don't have enough funding after their popular game sold well enough to make another? Where'd all the money go? I get that they're a small company, but if you need to rely on kickstarter to fund your next project after your last did really well, something is fishy. I'm gonna refrain from funding it and maybe buy it down the line if they do their ports properly this time.

I wanna add that compared to something like Deiland/Summer in Mara, where the devs rely on Kickstarter to get their games funded, it makes sense with Chibig because their games hardly scratch the number of copies sold compared to My Time at Portia. My Time at Sandrock looks to be using a lot of existing animations, textures, ect, and they said the game is 35% complete now and launching into early access in March 2021. Their game still sells daily + they make money off DLC + they have other games on Steam too. Why do they need 100,000 dollars to figure out multiplayer/Self publish? Where is all the money they earned from My Time at Portia + their other games? IDK, it just seems really weird from my perspective. A chart or something in the kickstarter better explaining where this 100,000 is going specifically and breaking down the 'why' more than 'we're a small company, so we always need money!' would go a long way imo.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 4:06 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

They're not actually all that small a company in terms of the number of employees they use. But maybe they're doing this more for the publicity than anything else. But saying they need it or they won't be able to release the game with a really good multiplayer is...odd. 100,000 is chump change for a company with up to about a hundred employees.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 4:46 am 
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

I'm very interested in the IDEA of a Portia sequel...but that'll be a big nope from me on backing it. Tbh I just don't trust Pathea? They have great ideas, but their follow through is...uuh...

The idea of giving money to a publicly traded company to finish a game is very icky to me. Just based on that, no matter how much money you give them, they will always be beholden to stockholders over you. (And stockholders want profits over everything.) I can't blame anyone for backing Portia because that situation (afaik) did not exist at the time of the Kickstarter. But in this case you know what you're getting. And that's not what I want.

As an aside, I could imagine a lot of the funding they're asking for going to scaling up to meet a March 2021 'early access' deadline. (The full group of developers from the picture are most likely late development hires who immediately got laid off after the game was published.) But even then...$100k USD isn't gonna buy you many.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 5:57 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Stockholders were apparently the reason why Portia was released so suddenly in spring 2019, long before it was ready for consoles. They demanded profit and really put the pressure on, and the team had to knuckle under. I don't know if they are still under stockholders or if they were able to become independent...I don't know where to look for news like that. But if they ARE still under stockholders, there is nothing to keep the same thing from happening again.

Plus Pathea has a bad habit of abandoning their games. Not total abandonment...they games aren't left unfinished in a technical sense...but if you look at Planet Explorers, the game that came before Portia, there were a lot of complaints about it being abandoned, too. They have not completed Super Buckyball Tournament, yet, and no release date has been given, either. (They did finish Ever Forward, but it's a puzzle game, and quite short.) And if you talk to console players, most of them seem unhappy with where Portia was left. The last update we got on console was September-October 2019 (time depends on which console), and not every glitch was fixed by then, afaik...plus PC got a huge load of updates that were never added to the console version. Even not counting all the DLC outfits and weapons and stuff, they had extra events and side-quests for most characters. They even added more language options.

They say they plan to do all of their own porting/publishing this time, to all platforms, and I assume that means they now have employees who can handle translating the game onto PS4/PS5, Switch and whatever Xbox is current, but Pathea always bumbles a LOT when they try something for the first time. Which is understandable, but they don't always fix everything afterward.

Again, basically...if you plan to get this on PC, you're probably golden. They do really good work on PC and Portia is a nearly flawless game on there, from everything I hear. But if you can only play on console, it's definitely something to give some serious thought before comitting. Being a console backer for Portia was painful and I definitely won't repeat it.

I will buy Sandrock for sure...once it is out long enough for feedback to have accumulated. (Assuming the feedback is largely positive, of course.) I won't ever give Pathea money on trust again, though. Because I don't. Not for console games. One of the biggest things against them is that they are not at all transparent about what's going on during development, etc. They do NOT keep console backers in the loop at all. They just leave you hanging with a 'we're working on it!' with no expanding on what they're working on or what they've already finished or etc.

Maybe that'll change now that they're doing their own publishing to console, but I'm not willing to take that on trust.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 10:36 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

First of all, I'm gonna get this out of my system.

Oh my gosh!!! I LOVED Portia so much! I can't believe I didn't know about the sequel until today! I'm backing this instantly for consoles. I can't wait for this game!

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 12:10 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

That's great Ronin; you can be the pioneer guy from Fogu to Sandrock :) I am excited to play Sandrock, I'm just not excited by the idea of being a backer; gonna leave that to others, this time, since I did not enjoy my last experience.

But you said 'first of all'. Were you going to add a second of all, too?

Ronin19
Post Posted: Oct 26, 2020 9:45 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

You know I was so excited I didn't have a second of all.

However, I can say since it hasn't been said here yet: The game is fully funded! Can't wait to see those stretch goals.

Edit: Saw the stretch goals. It would be wonderful to get them all, but $5 million for all of that is ambitious.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2020 2:05 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Yeah, a game that starts out with a goal of $100,000 will never make it to 5 million, I'd be shocked. None of the stretch goals appeal to me until you hit $500,000. Though I don't understand the "Able to Romance All Eligible Characters" goal. We've always been able to romance all eligible characters. What do they mean? Maybe that everyone of age will become eligible? (Everyone of age, that is, not small children. But the grannies and shop keepers and everybody else who's of legal age will become eligible?)

Well, if they're able to make as much as they did on the first day every day from now on (which is improbable...you normally get more at the start and the end and it's slower in the middle) they'd make three million. Possible? I guess it's not radically outside of probability. :)

*LaI*
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2020 2:36 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I took the last stretch goal as some sort of hint that they plan on making another My Time at another city game at some point, same as how Sandrock was originally planned as a Portia DLC.

5m is simply not possible. I could see it reaching 1M, and 1.5M would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd personally be quite happy with 600k, but I'm not big on multiplayer.

Ronin19
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2020 10:55 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Kikki wrote:
Though I don't understand the "Able to Romance All Eligible Characters" goal. We've always been able to romance all eligible characters. What do they mean? Maybe that everyone of age will become eligible? (Everyone of age, that is, not small children. But the grannies and shop keepers and everybody else who's of legal age will become eligible?))

So that is exactly what it means. In Portia, you were able to romance anyone who isn't married, not a kid, or Papa Bear. Every single person was romanceable.

For Sandrock, the developers mentioned that not everyone is romanceable because they wanted time to develop certain romances into more than what we got with Portia. So this stretch goal I do want to see happen.

Kikki
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2020 11:13 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Even barring the clearly very elderly, such as Sophie and Isaac, I remember there being people who were unmarried that you couldn't romance in Portia. Gale (wife died when Ginger was born), Higgins, Lee, Prestley, Merlin, Martha (husband died), McDonald (divorced) and Russo come to mind. Dawa, too, and he's the most confusing, since all his brothers are eligible. Merlin was an odd one, too, since you even get to go on a pretend date with her. Almost everybody being eligible made it more curious, why these ones weren't. If there was a reason why they were trenchantly single. (Like me, for example.)

Perhaps those people fit into the category of 'married to their jobs', or something.

I hope they develop the romances fully. In Portia they really developed Arlo and maybe Mint and Gust, and then several of the ladies, but some options were extremely shallow...felt like being able to marry them was more like a glitch than anything they put in deliberately. (On console anyway. I know they added a lot of content to characters on PC, so maybe they all got better developed eventually.)

Ronin19
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2020 1:02 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Kikki wrote:
I hope they develop the romances fully. In Portia they really developed Arlo and maybe Mint and Gust, and then several of the ladies, but some options were extremely shallow...felt like being able to marry them was more like a glitch than anything they put in deliberately. (On console anyway. I know they added a lot of content to characters on PC, so maybe they all got better developed eventually.)

Agreed. I only went with Oaks for looks, which, ultimately, was the only thing that really mattered. None of the other candidates really had personality, so I'm really hoping this changes things.

Blue Rose
Post Posted: Oct 28, 2020 11:22 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

The kickstarter goals seem really...sketchy. Like a lot of things don't seem worth $100k+ and more. Even if MTaP didn't help them make green it still seems weird.

I'll look into the game when it comes out but that's it.

Areli
Post Posted: Oct 29, 2020 5:43 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I liked My Time at Portia, I could no longer continue due to a bug, I must try again one of these days. I am excited to see when a series is born, I wonder how many "My time at" they will create. Thanks for the info.