Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I hope my year next year is MORE stacked with games. 2021 has been feeble, for me.
I want your problem, let's trade game tastes looool. Knowing my family, I'm going to end up with another pile of game for Christmas this year so I'll be going into 2022 with even more games to play. I just want a break to breathe and play something that doesn't feel like it needs to be a checkmark on a list. I want to spend more time with my games again instead of treating them like speedruns.

-----

I think I'm going to end up dropping Like a Dragon and watching the rest of the plot on YT. The game itself is fantastic, good characters, good story, fantastic to look at, gives me a lot of laughs, but holy « Puppy Doodoo », the encounter rate in this game is driving me bonkers. I literally CANT walk from point a-b without having no less than 2-3 battles on the way, and it's usually a WASTE OF TIME. I'm not getting loads of experience from the small mooks that are always stopping me to deal piss poor damage, I just want to move around the city freely and do side quests without being stopped ever 10 seconds. The fact that it can't be toggled off or the fact that the lower level mooks don't run away from me is maddening. I spent half of my day yesterday trying to get stuff on the map done only to get frustrated at how everything is constantly screeching to a halt so I can get my party to do an AOE and then get back to running down a road, only to get stopped again and again.

The only way to mitigate this is to take taxis, but I'm at a point in the game where money is hard to earn and I'm not going to blow all my cash while also trying to save up for the next piece of equipment. I ended up stopping after saying to myself 'this isn't fun any more' and played FFXIV for the rest of the day. I am way too tired for good games with « Cow Poopoo » mechanics.

I'm looking forward to playing Ghost of Tsushima's DLC (and I've been thinking of getting back into it by playing all the content I ignored last year) and Pokemon Snap's free update, and working on Genshin Impact, but I'm done trying to tackle big « Mr.Gourmet's hat » JRPGs with cumbersome progression. Just let me play, don't arbitrary road block me for no good reason.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
Kikki wrote:I hope my year next year is MORE stacked with games. 2021 has been feeble, for me.
I want your problem, let's trade game tastes looool. Knowing my family, I'm going to end up with another pile of game for Christmas this year so I'll be going into 2022 with even more games to play. I just want a break to breathe and play something that doesn't feel like it needs to be a checkmark on a list. I want to spend more time with my games again instead of treating them like speedruns.
~

I figure the main difference over the last half year or so is that I don't play FFXIV, nor Genshin Impact, both of which are prone to receiving large content updates. With just those two games, particularly when both update close together, you'd have your game schedule filled.

Plus I'm in a gaming funk right now. No, that's not accurate. I'm in a life funk, lol...my case of apathy has gotten much worse over the past 2-3 years to the point where it's hard to live with. (Not a dangerous problem like depression, mind you, but still takes everything off the rails.) So I don't enjoy most of even what I used to love most, right now. Basically I don't have any desire to play anything but my favourite replays (old, easy and comfortable!) and new entries into top-tier favourite series.

Of course, my family doesn't give me games as gifts, unless they happen to give me a GC to a place that has games, like amazon. (That's how I ended up with Age of Calamity...amazon GC.) I also have more free time, to boot. Even when I'm busiest, my schedule tends to be pretty flexible/under my own control. I'd really love to be interested in games again. But heck, I'd like to be interested in anything again, lol.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've actually gone ahead and finally beat two games in the past two weeks (well, "beat" as in, finished main story and rolled credits): Pokémon Shield and New Pokémon Snap. Now I'm playing Bioshock Infinite. I have the collection on Switch, so after this I'll probably move onto the first & second ones before calling the series a day and moving on to something else.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm stockpiling some great stuff for this winter! Last winter was so difficult that in spite of how badly I react to most meds (I get ridiculous side-effects from almost everything...maybe because I'm the type to have a million allergies/intolerances even to normal food, like, say, dairy and eggs. Or lentils.) I even tried to contact my doctor to see about getting an SSRI (anti-depressant) in case it might help. I was unable to get through to him, which may be lucky, as I've recently read that SSRIs can potentially worsen the situation of people who have apathy as their core issue rather than actual depression. With my luck I'd have gotten one that did, lol. (It wouldn't have been funny at all, but I can't help but laugh at my absurdity.)

I'm not feeling as negative about the upcoming winter as before, though, as I really want to continue my replay of SoS1 then, and replay ANB as well...and I'll also have Olive Town, though I don't know if I'll like it. PLUS...Xseed is releasing Knockout Fitness this fall, so that'll be a new workout to try, going into the dark season. Also, I've now got a little greenhouse designed that I will start framing tomorrow, so I'll have a light-filled space (very cold, but I don't care...it's better to exercise in the cold anyway) to use my stepper or trampoline in, and I can also start the growing season about a month earlier than I would otherwise have been able to.

I may as well also leave Harvest Moon: One World for then. I started it on release but wasn't that into it, and farming games are all more appealing in fall/winter for me than in spring or summer, when I have real-life farming and gardening to do.

Not saving GAA, though. There's no special appeal to a mystery/detective/procedural type of a game for winter. (I don't like ToTT much, so I won't bother to save it, either...I'll struggle to get further in now and abandon it again if I don't become interested in it before autumn.) I'm almost done Case 4. One more case and GAA: Adventures is done. Then of course it's on to the second game in Chronicles...GAA: Resolve. Once both of these are done, I'll be at 13 (new) games completed in 2021. That doesn't include any replays. I'm going to start counting replays as games completed from now on, but I wasn't until now, and can't remember what I replayed though it was a couple of games, so...*shrug*. Currently I'm working on wrapping up GAA 1&2, then I'll get Bustafellows if I want it, and try to either get into or abandon ToTT once and for all. (I'll actually delete it this time if I decide to drop it.)

I think I may eventually also get House Flipper on Switch, which is another good winter game (anything that make me think about the outdoors is a good winter game). I already have it on PS4. Got it on a big sale at the time, I believe. It was pretty buggy when I played it, though...not sure if it's better on Switch. I like the portable option, though. I'm hoping I can spend loads of time in my teeny greenhouse this winter to soak up any stray drop of sunlight that manages to sneak through the thick winter cloud cover that blankets this entire region from November through to March or April. It'd be a great place to try to do some small building projects, too. More to survive winter with!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I figure the main difference over the last half year or so is that I don't play FFXIV, nor Genshin Impact, both of which are prone to receiving large content updates. With just those two games, particularly when both update close together, you'd have your game schedule filled.
That is a mood. :lol:

For at least the last 6 months this is kind of how I've styled my gaming time. Assuming I've already got an ongoing game I'm "trying to finish" and can only fit one other thing in my schedule. For good or bad. :/ Having more than two ongoing games must be tough. I see full time streamers getting frustrated with having more than three games they want to play...

--
Puttered in Genshin last night after taking Saturday off. Got a few more quests done. Still haven't gotten the new weapon recipes yet though. But I guess that's what do when you spend most of your time in game exploring. I do feel comfortably powerful though, which is a nice feeling. There's still plenty of content to get me my « Mr.Gourmet's hat » handed to me, but with Hu Tao doing 24k vaporize hits on a regular basis...feels good!

At the rate I'm going I may not even have time for any little games before October hits and I want to start up a Luigi's Mansion 3 playthrough. But that's okay! I don't feel too overwhelmed and I feel productive again, which I like. I'll be spending more time editing now that I caved and got myself some editing software. Pretty happy with it so far. It's always a double edged sword, though, like you get more out of editing software the more you already know about grammar. And yet...learning by reading arbitrary lists of rules is even worse.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:
Kikki wrote:I figure the main difference over the last half year or so is that I don't play FFXIV, nor Genshin Impact, both of which are prone to receiving large content updates. With just those two games, particularly when both update close together, you'd have your game schedule filled.
That is a mood. :lol:

For at least the last 6 months this is kind of how I've styled my gaming time. Assuming I've already got an ongoing game I'm "trying to finish" and can only fit one other thing in my schedule. For good or bad. :/ Having more than two ongoing games must be tough. I see full time streamers getting frustrated with having more than three games they want to play...
Having games with constant content updates that legit keep my attention are both blessings and curses. They function as both single player experiences and community based atmospheres that I can take at my own pace, but on the other hand, when I'm not playing them and working on something else, I am constantly feeling their pull to jump back in. So, it's nice to always have something to fall back on, but I also feel 'guilty' for putting them off for a new release or replay.

When EVERYTHING gets dropped on me at once (See: November this year), it gets very frustrating despite the fact that I'm supposed to be enjoying my hobby lmao. I would love to spend 100+ hours in my JRPGs like I used to, but it's just not gonna happen any more barring a few rare instances where I am consumed by whatever title (Fire Emblem and Pokemon games do this to me, for example).

I think my main solution from now on is to just not buy everything day one + only buy a handful of games on release day that I KNOW will consume me and I won't feel guilty for it.

~

Anyways, backlog stuff. The NieR Reincarnation is really good and punching me in the feels every other moment. Rion is becoming a new favorite alongside 9S and I actually really enjoy every character so far. Every design is solid, every story is well written, the progression isn't predatory - it's really a good game with a gacha attached. Honestly is really cool we've gotten two NieR games this year + the raid series finishing up in FFXIV. 2021 is a good year to be a NieR fan.

Speaking of FFXIV and NieR, I got the Stubby minion, yaaaayyy! STILL NO 9S MINION THOUGH. P A I N.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I think my main solution from now on is to just not buy everything day one + only buy a handful of games on release day that I KNOW will consume me and I won't feel guilty for it.
Yeah, not buying things day one works out, ime. It also usually means you get things more inexpensively as you can afford to wait for sales. I think my only exceptions these days are things I know I really want to play immediately and will put everything else aside for, and games where I MUST have the physical edition. (There are none of these, lol, so it's kinda moot. I almost never buy physical any more unless I know I'm going to want to lend it out, particularly to more than one person.)

Almost everything I've played in 2021 was actually released in 2020 or even 2019. Of just 2021 games I neglected to buy on release but still have on my wishlist (doesn't include the half dozen or so I eventually decided not to buy):
  • SoS: Olive Town
    Legend of Mana (remaster, but I never played the original)
    Pokemon Snap
    Disco Elysium (PS4)
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Skyward Sword (remaster)
    Bustafellows
    Outer Wilds (hasn't released yet but I already know I won't be buying it on release day)
    Kena: Bridge of Spirits (same as above)
    Olympia Soiree (I would have bought it day-one, probably, but it releases ONE DAY before Tales of Arise, so...no.)
I will definitely be buying some of these eventually. But since most of what I played this year was from last year and the year before, I suspect I won't get to many of that list until 2022 or even 2023, lol. I have no new games releasing in August, but I'll be working on GAA2 and ToTT, and if there's time left over, then I'll work on AoC or Haven. Bustafellows and Olympia Soiree are high on my 'grab them when you have time' list, so I think I might be able to get to them some time after Arise, since I have no must-haves for the whole rest of the year excepting only Arise. Which has some appealing characters and gorgeous environments, so I currently have high hopes for it.
ryume
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Hope everyone is doing all right as we move through year two of the pandemic! I'm definitely feeling the burnout between being a nurse and attending grad school through these rather unique times for sure. Clinicals have started for my program, so I basically work every single day of the week, but half of the days are clinical, so I don't get paid lol. It's tough having to complete 150 extra hours in 3 or 4 months, that's for sure.

Gaming wise... I got to winter 1 in PooT but stopped (this was probably within 2 weeks of it's initial release). Been waiting on the DLC to finish before I finish my playthrough. I haven't been playing much console wise. I just play FFXIV in what little spare time I have because although NYS hasn't had restrictions for a while and I do frequently see my in person friends, I also prefer the social aspect of FFXIV for when I game. I currently have 9/16 (17?) relic weapons completed, all my jobs except for monk are 80 (monk is 30) and I've been an omnicrafter/gatherer for over a year, but I did just acquire my mentor (Burger King) crown a few weeks ago, so that was nice. I have all the content from the NieR raids so really I just log in to run things with my friends in that game and just relax/have fun. It's honestly been a big stress reliever for me, but I do look forward to getting back to my console games in the very near future!

Definitely keeping an eye on Tales of Arise, and I just got the alpha key for Coral island! Need to check that out for sure.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Always glad to see you drop in for a minute, ryume :)

~

I'm done Great Ace Attorney: Adventures!

The gameplay is very true to the original (the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games). The new Switch version has lovely movement and gestures and good looks. It also has one character who was an amazing beauty...he was a joy to look at, even more than the first rather charming fellow the game showed off, though the first guy had the handsome personality to go with his well-made face and the second guy really doesn't...and Herlock Sholmes is a walking contradiction. He's SO ANNOYING. And so freaking adorable and lovable, it's ridiculous. At the same time. I like Iris, too, and I would normally find a character of her type tiresome really fast. Not this time! As usual, Ace Attorney characters are great.

I like Ryunosuke Naruhodo, too...I tend to like 'simple good guy' types to begin with. He's not as lovable as Phoenix, maybe because he's not as quirky, but he gives a very strong feeling of being very, very earnest. Even more than Phoenix.

One thing I do NOT like is, well...the AA games have always relied on suspension of disbelief to work. You are always on the disadvantaged side because the law is guilty until proven innocent, in that world. And you're always at least partly in the dark. Sometimes your client doesn't tell you everything, and sometimes they don't KNOW everything, or both. Sometimes it's too ridiculous and it becomes harder to suspend disbelief.

GAA, unfortunately, pushes that grungy old envelop harder. I had quite a few more moments playing this where my suspension of disbelief just SNAPPED on me, as yet another cheap, unnatural ploy was used to make you work hard to keep your client from being declared guilty.

Excepting the last, the cases felt too simple in this game, too, compared to the mainline (original) games. They were easier to figure out. It felt a bit like they were starting from scratch...like they didn't have to try as hard because they'd made 'Runo' a newbie. Like that makes the players all newbies again, or something, like it's okay to jump off Tier 6 back down to Tier 1 with the intricacy and challenge. Though they may be more complicated in GAA: Resolve, the next game in the Chronicles compilation.

Overall, I quite like it! But clearly, I do have a few complaints...those moments when the game was so absurdly, outrageously unfair and unreasonable that I can't quite forgive it, since they weren't played off in the charming (often hilarious...GAA is nowhere near as funny, overall, in my books) way PW games do. I'm looking forward to starting Resolve (game two). I'm hoping it will deepen to match the nuance and complexity of the Phoenix Wright games in the next game. It looked like that was the direction it would take as we got into the last case of the first game, imo. Give me that and continue giving me these awesome characters and I'll be one happy camper. But if they go back to spoon-feeding me in ways I can't describe, I'm going to be less than impressed and GAA will be very much a 'lesser' option to the PW games. But by the way they were going, I have a pretty good feeling about the next game. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Wondering if they changed any voice actors between Adventures and Resolve. In the first game it sounded like all the VAs were straight-up Brits, but this starting bit of Resolve, the woman sounds entirely like a Japanese woman speaking British English (accent and all, but with a Japanese accent underneath.)
Last edited by Kikki on Aug 04, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Finished the first cold steel game tonight. I played for a long time today. I think I went from partway through the dungeon at the beginning of the day to the very end of the game tonight, though in a few sessions spread out throughout the day. I'm not sure exactly how many hours I spent playing today. I already have the second game downloaded and ready to play whenever I want to so I'll probably start that in the next few days.

Kind of had a headache today though, maybe all day?? I think my pillows might be causing that + dehydration. (I drank a good amount today, it's just that no matter how much I drink it's not enough. I'll probably be like this tomorrow too...not the best for wanting to play games or do things. I've got stuff for a dragonfruit smoothie at least so it's not all just boring water.)
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Currently playing:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (Switch)
The Longing (Switch)
Ciconia When They Cry Phase 1 For You the Replaceable Ones

Up next:

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Game Builder Garage

So, I finally beat Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All last night. I'm finally on the third game in the trilogy, Trials and Tribulations. I'm pretty sure I'm almost done with the first case/episode 1 (Turnabout Memories). I'm so excited to finally get closer to beating the Trilogy, so I can finally play The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. :)

Also, the other day I started and beat A Shot Hike (the main objective/story), but I didn't get all the achievements, and I want to.

I'm pretty excited for Haven Park, which releases tomorrow on Steam and Switch. I'll be getting it on Switch. :)
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm having an impossible time trying to beat the last fight in Bioshock Infinite. I don't even know how it's even possible to beat. My husband who constantly plays shooters even tried twice or thrice and couldn't do it. I just want to move on from it because it's so frustrating, but it's the very end.

I don't know what I'll play next. Part of me wants to just do Bioshock 1 & 2 since I have the whole collection on the single Switch cartridge and now that I've played Infinite I'll be used to the shooter style enough to just knock it out of the way. I've beaten gen 4 of Pokémon before many, many moons ago and I'm watching ChuggaaConroy's playthrough of Platinum to get me hype for the remakes, but since I have beaten that gen before I don't want to do it again. I've never actually beaten gen 5, so I may do that alongside his playthrough, but I'm not sure yet since I've just beaten Shield. Also considering Rescue Team DX, or maybe One World, but it'll be a while since I just got to the desert and it'll take forever for the valais sheep to produce wool.

...I was reminiscing today about summer vacation as a kid today and I really wish I had all the time in the world like that felt again. Gaming would be magical. Instead, I've got 16 hours worth of vacation time. ._.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Cleared my second run of Portia yesterday! Yay! It was kind of weird that there was no music while the looong credits rolled, I can't remember if it had music the first time or not as sometimes I like to play stuff muted. (That probably sounds weird but sometimes the music/sound effects are too irritating, especially if I don't feel good, so I just mute them all, a habit I began back in the GBA days.) One funny thing I noticed too is that there were several backers named None, lol.

I played around in Timothy and the Mysterious Forest for a while. It's fun but super punishing. After wandering around not knowing what to do, I tried to look for a guide and the pickings are pretty slim.

I also finally started Bug Fables and it's adorable. Definitely a Paper Mario clone with it's own quirks.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I feel pretty good! The lumber for my greenhouse (small 9 x 12 room so that I don't need a permit) has been ordered and picked up, and dad and I have already cut the rafters. I also thought of a second project that would be really awesome and useful. A rolling waist-high trolley to hang rows of large window boxes into, for crop-growing! :D Can be rolled to any area to increase sun exposure, uses less water, good drainage, easy soil adjustment and individual fertilizing, easy to change crops, no weeds, and at a height you never have to bend over for. It's perfect, why didn't I think of it before?

Having some big life-improving projects on the books is awesome, very good for my foggy, heavy, directionless head. I have already cleaned the kitchen and deleted several games off my Steam wishlist and added a dozen more. I'm going to prioritize them next...there's 62 games on there and they need ranked for better browsing :) I'm way more into the idea of Steam games now that the Steam Deck is something I'll have in Q2 2022 (if things go as outlined so far, anyway!)

Why I don't like traditional PC gaming:
Spoiler:
The first is that it's not COMFORTABLE. My ideal gaming situation is slightly reclined in a comfortable and supportive chair, with a game controller in my hands, attached to a television screen, or a small, comfy handheld console like the 3DS. (The Switch is a lousy, uncomfortable handheld, imo. Even the Lite is notably less comfy to hold than the 3DS. Even with a grip on it!) You can modify your PC by hooking it up to hubs and TV screens and controllers (if the game supports them, at least...not all Steam games do) to mimick a console experience, but it's a hassle. But even if you rig it up nicely, it's still not a great situation, imo, because i don't like to use my laptop (or PC) for gaming. I use my laptop constantly. It's my news portal. It's my typewriter and my pen and paper. It's the majority of my social interaction. It's my library of knowledge and the way I check the weather. It's my shopping mall and my music collection. I use it so constantly that ever having it tied up with a game is repugnant to me. Even on a PC that can handle the games, the game hogs the screen and the resources and makes it bothersome to stop and check the internet once a minute. I can't stand that. I want my games on game-specific machines, not on my multipurpose, constantly used ones.
So yeah. I grew up on PC gaming. I was PC-exclusive until I was nearly 30! But I grew to hate it after experiencing dedicated gaming hardware. *shrug* However, the Steam Deck is exciting because it promises to turn PC gaming into console gaming, including even portability (though I would likely leave it docked the vast majority of the time, as I do with my Switch.) It's nice to think that the many, many interesting indie games that never make it off of PC are now an option. So it's been fun looking through my Steam wishlist, of late. :)

Other than that, I've finished Case 1 (of 5) of the second GAA game: Resolve. I anticipate this game going slower than the first by a fair bit, and it seems like it's going to be a lot more complicated (a good thing, for me.)

Pekoe also moved into my original ACNH town (Windfall) and Ketchup should agree to move into Gardenia tomorrow. At that point I'll have all of my Gardenia villagers settled and can go back and fiddle about with their yards/gardens whenever the mood strikes me. Maybe when/if Nintendo ever does a more significant update than just plunking in a few new items. I'd honestly rather not have new items unless they're new purchasable DIYs or furniture belonging to new coordinated sets or series (they don't have to be returning series...new ones would be fine!) Adding a couple of new items each time an event rolls back around just irritates me...bogs up my storage with « Puppy Doodoo » that I buy because I'm afraid I'll think of a reason to want it later but be unable to get it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

As silly as it sounds (I mean, it sounds silly to me???), I'm going to step away from console gaming until I finish the storylines in both Atelier Online and NieR Reincarnation. I like them both a lot, they're genuinely fun and I've been picking at them both / getting my daily log-in bonuses, but I'd actually like to get comfy and play them through, or to the point where there's no more story until an update.

I really don't have anything going on my backlog right now besides releases that come later this month, and they're SoS:PoOT's final DLC so I can finally start it and Ghost of Tsushima's expansion so I can go back into it. I have Saturday off and ima' make plans to play the phone games and see where / how far I get. If I end up polishing them off (I really don't expect them to be super long + I've already played a chunk of them both) then I'll play the New Pokemon Snap update, because work made me forget it's existence despite being really excited for it lmao.

I'm also still picking at Genshin, but again, I have no qualms with waiting until the story of Inazuma is finished before getting too into it. Also going to someone's wedding in FFXIV late Saturday night too, so that'll be fun.