Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Daikon boy wrote:@Miko

I really wanna play Kena, but I have to wait until I get a ps5 to play it. I'm saving the spiderman miles morales game for that too, even though I really really really want to play it. When It was announced I was like, that's everything I wanted the next spiderman game to be, and I want it so bad. But I'm waiting on a ps5 even though that's going to take much longer than it should because I need to have money to buy one.
The review I watched made sure to warn about some difficulty spikes with bosses, but it seems worthwhile to me. Super pretty looking, and I really enjoyed the studio's Majora's Mask short however many years ago. Since Kikki said it's out for PS4 too...I'd still say check a review for PS4 to see how well it runs. It's supposed to be really well optimized so it may not be any issue!

--
Only Genshin news. I will be filling out the next 'how did we do?' survey...just to report an issue with a daily commission. To not spoil anything, you can fail the thing by getting struck by lightning. :D Fing grand.

Had some more issues with my internet cutting out. Reinstalled wifi adapter drivers and...got an hour and a half of no cut out, so...we shall see?

It's such a shame about Kokomi. :lol: Sigh. I hated her design when I first saw it but she really started to grow on me. If we've got a whole update of reruns coming I might be tempted, though...
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^I saw a chart the other day showing Kokomi's first day earnings compared to the Shogun and good lord, she is tanking worse than Albedo. That's really something tbh. The power of waifu was not enough to save the fish girl, though I feel like a lot of people are voting with their wallet over the whole craptastic anniversary debacle going on right now. If Genshin was the only game I played religiously like the whales and other hyperfocuesers, I guess I'd be upset too, but I expected nothing and got nothing so I really don't care? Kokomi also has a really bland play style, so that could be effecting it too. Regardless, she's gonna be a rarity like Albedo soon and then everyone will come crying later on for a rerun. Calling it now.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think I will be interspersing English and French sessions with Olive Town. With a headache, it's just too much to ask of my rudimentary French and my sluggish grey matter. Also, it was making the game burdensome...I probably should have played a couple of days in English first, then play in French when it just came to later sections where mostly what you have to translate is just dialogue. I was skipping explanation screens occasionally when I felt too tired to try to muddle out the sentence structure littered with words I didn't recognize. (My French vocabulary level is probably only that of an average kid in grade one...and we're not talking about one of the kids that reads constantly!)

I still plan to turn it to French once in a while, but I enjoyed translating my French copies of Trinity Blood more, even though it's much more complex. There's more TIME to do it. The game makes me feel rushed. I really just want to try to sharpen my brain up a little to give me even the tiniest extra chance of not developing dementia somewhere down the line. I know so many people who have, now, it's making me super nervous when I see how they slip out of their own lives even while they're still alive, and how incredibly difficult it is for them to maintain a relationship with their family. Heck, half the time grandma doesn't even know who we are, now, she just vaguely believes we must be family because we keep calling her grandma. So, I want to throw jigsaw puzzles and a bit of language learning into this winter, but it doesn't matter whether I get it from this game, or elsewhere.

Anyway, Olive Town. I like the gameplay systems, but surprisingly I'm not feeling addicted to it even in this early stage. I thought I would be because I KNEW I'd like stuff like getting achievement rewards and leveling up skills...I love that kind of thing. I don't know what it is. I can't figure out how to say it, but Olive Town just lacks somethign that makes it feel homey or truly lovable. It's like a visit to a hotel rather than to a friend's house. I don't know how to say it. I don't feel involved, somehow. Not yet, anyway. (I also thought we got to CHOOSE the new paving that would go into the town as your first improvement, but I was never given an option. Does it depend on which item you donate? If so that's something I REALLY would have wanted to know in advance.) But I do like the game systems, they're cool. I'd love to have had them in Trio of Towns, except even more of them. Then I probably never would have stopped playing that game, lol.

I think I'll try Staxel? Not 100% sure yet, but sister loves DQB1/2 and this is probably a little more like that than like Minecraft, so even thought the blocky characters are hideous, it may be worthwhile. She has very few games she likes so I'm always on the lookout for more.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Well, I really underestimated just how much I was ignoring Liyue. Back before I reached World Rank 8, I was avoiding opening any chests or doing really any exploring outside of commissions and quests in Liyue because I wanted more time to grind up my main team before I hit the max world rank. But that's a bit of a problem when you're trying to finally max out the statues in Liyue and you keep finding a bunch of chests that you haven't opened and getting distracted! Seriously, I collected over 700 primogems today from all the chests I kept finding, though some of that amount is from the commissions and Welkin. Still, it's a lot of primogems, especially at World Rank 8!

My main problem now is I'm really low on Cor Lapis to make the locators for the geoculi, so I'll have to wait until they respawn before I go hunting again. Which is too bad because I have about 16 more to go.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, I bought some games from the Japanese sale. Some games I needed to transfer digitally went on sale and now I'm down to FFXV and the Kingdom Hearts series, which is weird that neither of them is included in the sale yet FF7R is. I also bought Neo The World Ends with You on PS4. It runs SO much better on there than the Switch. I also gave DQXI another shot via the demo on PS4, but I now know I'll never like the series.

I'm now about a third done with Mass Effect 3, so I'll be moving on to my next game soon: Deltarune Chapter 2! I was a bit bummed that when it was announced I had to play it on PC, but then the Nintendo Direct happened yesterday and I can't wait to play it there. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is next and, hopefully, followed by Eastward provided that Disco Elysium on Switch doesn't release while I'm finishing up Ace Attorney Chronicles.

Animal Crossing is going well, VERY excited for the game after the Direct. I managed to move in every villager I wanted to with the amiibo cards I have, but I have a feeling that Lucky, Celia, and/or Mott might be on the chopping block to be kicked out next. Still missing 7 pieces of art and 6 DIYs, but Celeste will give me her last one between now and October 21. Can't wait for the October Animal Crossing Direct and Brewster's return in November!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Simply Unknown wrote:My main problem now is I'm really low on Cor Lapis to make the locators for the geoculi, so I'll have to wait until they respawn before I go hunting again. Which is too bad because I have about 16 more to go.
I actually did the same thing myself last weekend! :lol: Mostly finding the last geoculi, but also getting distracted by endless chests while I was out there.

Part of it is a lack of exploration, but I'm pretty sure new chests spawn in different areas for every AR you level up.

If you or anybody else doesn't use it, the Genshin commnity has this interactive map thing that's absolutely EXCELLENT (has about everything that spawns in the world on it): https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/

--
Got to the final, final boss in Stories 2 tonight, spent a half hour on it, wiped, decided I need a break.

Not sure I really like the run up to the final boss. The cutscenes were glorious (except the one that bugged out - I got mismatched visuals and audio, it was great), but I don't really like long, gauntlet runups to a final boss.

I'd like to say I'll go back and beat it, but I dunno. I may just need a longer break. I'm kind of tired of trying to rush through the game.

Edit: rant in the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Honestly...I feel really bad for any kids who picked this game up. There are a couple fights here and there that were MORE difficult (but not "Hard" quest « Male Cow Poopoo ») but that final boss is "Hard" quest « Male Cow Poopoo » difficult. « Snuggly Bunny » hell I hate it.

I think a final boss like that would have made it hard for me to go back to turn based games as a kid. I was fairly weak willed, but I can about guarantee, I would have cried, and quit. And because this was in the dark ages where we couldn't look things up online, not even being able to SEE the ending would have made me swear off turn based JRPGs.

I'm salty too because this is sort of how I feel turn-based combat goes. It's obnoxious in the worst way. The only skill involved is memory, and even that doesn't really count because if you can't remember you just write it « Snuggly Bunny » down. I don't feel satisfied, like I overcame ANYTHING when I beat a boss like this. At least with action combat, no matter how frustrating it gets I can feel like I did something. With turn based it's just...beat your head against a brick wall until you break through it. Congrats. Proud of yourself?

Needless to say, I'm not.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@miko

That's good to know. I heard the spiderman game had some issues/didn't play as good, which is why I held off on it. If Kena really does play well on the ps4 then I will probably have to get it.

I think I'm finally recovered pretty good from being sick. I played my ps4 the other day. I played four hours on my switch today. I think even my muscles are doing better though they probably are a little under normal still. I feel very satisfied with the food I had yesterday/today too though I'll have to wait and see if my weights sticking. The only thing is my jaw feels like it takes longer/is slightly more difficult to chew than it used to which makes me feel like the muscles were underworked for too long, but I don't know enough about jaw muscles. I think my spine might have some mild side effects from being sick, but it's not bad. Mostly just don't do certain things and it's fine. The effects are small if I do do the things. That's just what happens to me. Get a small not serious usually permanently lasting side effect that pops up every once in awhile.

I had a good day though I think, and I'm able to do much much more than before. Can't wait to play my games some more after I've finally managed to get some sleep. Need to remember to play my psp too soon. I've got some good games on it, and I need to really get into a game on it.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Still working through Black. It's taken me a long time to get where I am, but I also feel like I'm not very far into the story somehow? Yet I have level 35-40 mons and 7 badges. I think it has to do with the fact that by this point in the story there's still quite a bit of the map undiscovered.

The Direct had me so distracted the other day that I forgot that Diablo II Resurrected came out. I've had it preordered but I don't plan to touch it for a while, because if I do, I'm gonna mess up my whole thing I got going on. The whole reason I haven't been playing much Black is because my husband and I started our first co-op file of Stardew Valley together.

Also, NSO had a game trial of PoOT with three days left, so I decided to give it a try. I tried and gave up on the first SoS cuz I just couldn't get past the tutorial, which felt endless to me. I feel like maybe I gave up on it too quickly, so far I kind of like PoOT, even though I'm only one (in game) day in. Even though I still think the story is kind of a knock off of Stardew. :P I like how I had the option to give my character two different colored eyes, and the way they did gender was well done. I like the homes and how everyone has a full home lol, not just a storefront with a bed in the same room as the kitchen. I'm gonna have to try to remember where I was in the FoMT remake lol.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My quick summary of Olive Town is that I feel nothing for it. I like several of the gameplay mechanics a lot, and yet, I feel NO investment in the game's progression. I have no say at all in town improvements. My crops mean nothing because there are no farming festivals, and I don't even get to apply fertilizer to my crops. It just feels like a game about cleaning up debris and stuffing all the junk you find into machines, then feeding what they spit out into locked segments (barriers, repairs, etc) to get them to unlock.

Well, I already put my opinion in the other thread so no need to rehash. Due to the mechanics that I like, I'll continue to go back to it to gradually open the last piece of farm and get my tool upgrades and etc...but I'm not invested, so it'll just be a game I randomly fit in here and there.

~

Staxel is...well, not cute. IT's too blobby to be CUTE. I have never been able to have feelings for big piles cubes or pixels. However, the controls are great and it's easy to get around and do stuff...they thought it out well, imo. It's easy to go back to. I haven't gotten to build anything yet. I just planted 4 potatoes or something, and sold a turnip. I also accidentally hacked up a chunk of earth, which I didn't need, so I just put it back, lol. But the building will be familiar thanks to DQB (or Minecraft, though I've tried that and couldn't get into it.) I'd like to see what kind of things they'll want me to BUILD, as to me this is more of a building game than a farming game. (I can forgive a building game for being a bit ugly but it's hard to forgive a farming game for that. I don't know why, but I want my crops to NOT look like strange little stacks of boxes.)

I think my first building quest may be to build or repair a barn. I know in Staxel your building requirements are loose. I didn't like that in DQB, how they'd give you blueprints that had to be followed EXACTLY, even though they looked stupid and should have used better materials for floor and walls than just dirt. In Staxel I believe the requirements are very minimal, like...you must have a wall two high and two troughs inside them, and at least one piece of roofing or ceiling. Something like that. Easy to do your own thing with.

I sure do wish this game looked like the title graphic, though. But I guess that's not very possible with a building game. I can't imagine what a NON-block-based building game would look like or how it'd work.

~

Off soon to take Cousin cycling down through the golf course. I'd better take some extra pills before I go. And an extra jacket...it's not warm out, and very damp, so it feels downright chilly since the coolness seems to sink through your skin.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Simply Unknown wrote: Ah, I think I see what happened. Activities have a higher chance of failing if your mind/body stats are low, which I'm guessing happened a lot with your first playthrough. The things that Occult unlocks happens after the first of the new year if you've leveled up your class at least once, which may explain what you missed out on. Its path is also combined with the Art History class so that may have affected things as well. Comparing this game to Long Live the Queen, there aren't challenges you have to beat other than becoming an adult at the end. You just need to have one stat-your vampire's rebelliousness over 150 by the final day.

There isn't too much incentive to spread out your classes unless you're going for the achievement where you unlock all the jobs in one playthrough. If you're looking to unlock endings, it's best to focus on a few select jobs/classes that boost your main stats. It's also generally the best idea if you save on weekends before you go hunting so you can reset and try again. Less story, more stats. Hope that helped!
Thank you for the help! I think I'm going to try another pass through this game this weekend, or on my day off next week. I really want to get a regular ending!

--

Diablo II Resurrected came out! :D Predictably, I had trouble accessing the servers Thursday night, but not Friday, so that's already a huge step up from the D3 launch. I played about an hour of the original last weekend so I could appreciate the improvements more, but aside from that, I haven't seriously played D2 in years. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Playing Druid Werebear, near the end of act one. My partner quit on Thursday because of the control mapping, which... didn't feel that bad to me? It's an old game, but the menus tell you how to bind the skills. He was playing with a controller on PC, but I got the Switch version, which runs great.

Set aside HMOW for a bit, probably until I beat D2. I made myself delay marriage, so the next time I play I can take the blue feather to Sami as motivation to jump back in. I finished all but 3-4 of the quests, too.

Still playing Warioware, though I haven't tried a mastery mission in about a week, mostly just Wario Cup and leveling up the characters. This week's challenge is an IQ thing. I need to shave 4 seconds off my time to get the gold rank, but my global rank is only about 50%, which is hilariously low. Apparently IQ is my weakness. XD
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's unmotivatingly easy to progress in Olive Town, it seems. I only have a few makers, so I'm not producing at efficiently, and I've only gotten a few days into Summer, and I already have my entire farm open, and the fields maxed out in quality (I think? I upgraded them 3 times), plus three stamina increases, 5 domestic animals found (I don't know how many there are. They're cute, though.)

Having lots of makers doesn't bother me...and I have about a dozen types unlocked, yet only about half a dozen actually made. I'll have to clear a spot somewhere for a permanent maker home so that I can start placing more. But if you can progress this fast without even trying, I don't think I'll bother having more than one of most makers except probably lumber, ingot, thread/fabric and seed. I do think many types ought to be combined, though, and that there shouldn't be more than about a dozen types of maker in all. Like, the thread and the fabric makers should be combined, imo, and there should be more than one working slot...perhaps three or four, if types were combined. (That would still be a huge step down from previous SoS games where you had at least ten working slots, or even thirty, but it'd be quite livable in Olive Town.)

I think I just finished the 5th of...10, is it?...town requests. So the town is half way to full improvement already, and it doesn't look much different at all, lol. It's good that they changed the cutscenes to really draw attention to what was changed, or I'd never have noticed the slight spiffing of the benches and stuff like that. Two more town requests and I think I can work on getting my motorcycle back.

I've gotten familiar with the game, and it's pretty comfortable to play. I'm not growing fond of most of the characters, for whatever reason, but the animals are very cute and I like the selection.

I reeeeeeeeally wish they had allowed us to place our makers and buildings or etc on TOP of road/pathway pieces. I love a tidy look. I'd leave some sections wild in each part of the farm, of course, to continually accrue trees, rocks and grass for harvesting...but I'd like to make every other area permanently tidy and not be bothered with clean-up in those areas ever again.

I think the game is a bit too simple for me. I like my farming sims very multifaceted and to have the option to stack things so efficiently on top of each other that it's even a bit hectic. I like to have to think and strategize...I'm not the type who wants to cruise through without straining my brain a bit to think of the best way to get everything done.

I really should be asleep. I'm not sleepy, though. Stupid tubes, I blame you.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

simside wrote:Diablo II Resurrected came out! :D
I waited so long for this, but was so distracted by the Direct that I forgot about it. I'm gonna hold off on it, because I know if I start and get down that rabbit hole it'll be a real problem for the rest of my backlog lol. I bought the bundle that included Diablo 3 as well.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

iLoveSprites75 wrote:I waited so long for this, but was so distracted by the Direct that I forgot about it. I'm gonna hold off on it, because I know if I start and get down that rabbit hole it'll be a real problem for the rest of my backlog lol. I bought the bundle that included Diablo 3 as well.
Having both is a very serious rabbit hole! I've resigned myself to playing nothing else for the next couple weeks, though I'm hoping I'll have scratched most of the itch by the time I finish the first difficulty loop. It does make me want to go back to D3 really badly too, but I usually wait to play through a season in January to do Darkening of Tristram at the same time.

It's a bit more popular than I thought it might be. I wound up speaking to three different coworkers on Friday who were playing it, though they all bought the PC version, so I can't play with them. :(
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I went ahead and bought PC version too, although the Switch is my primary console. Of course it was originally on PC and I just didn't want to play it on something else. I believe there will eventually be cross-platform play - who knows when that might be, however. I had D3 for my Xbox before I got rid of it so I didn't get to do much, though I know that I picked the wizard(?) which is voiced by Azula :lol:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Olive Town becomes very fun in bursts. It certainly lags between times, when I don't know why I'm bothering to fix up this town that gives me nothing to show for it, and even doesn't value my crops or let me show them off at festivals. The town basically seems perfectly happy without me. The town is in good shape and everybody likes everybody else. They don't even ask for my input during events...I just get to glimpse them from the outside, not actually partake in them. I didn't need to move here; bringing them more tourists is the point of this game, and it's a very unmotivating point, for me.

But it IS fun by times, for sure, with the huge amount of things you can collect. I'm thinking of this as more of a farming collect-a-thon game than a traditional Bokumono game, and that works okay for me. (I'd rather have the other, but this is still nice.) It's more fun now that I have 16 stamina hearts, though. 10 just wasn't cutting it when it came to doing the endless clean-up chores. Forget these villagers who treat me like a convenient afterthought! Since they don't need me anyway, I'll just build up my farm for my own satisfaction, take the best-looking villager for myself, and ignore the others, lol.

~

I keep wondering what I'm to play next after Arise, and my next release is Grow: Song of the Evertree in mid-November, which is the only game I have on my radar until well into 2022, because Knockout Fitness on September 28 doesn't count as a game, and I will look at Pokemon Arceus, but Pokemon really isn't my thing and I'm not sure Arceus will be different enough to make it my thing. But then I remember that I'm not actually supposed to wait until I feel terrible to start pulling out my farming games, lol. It's already dark when I wake up, and by 7PM, too, the lights have to go on...we're already in the 'low' part of the year. (Low = Sept 20 to March 20, basically...but May through August are clearly the *best* months for my energy and outlook.)

So yeah, dipping into my hoard of happy outdoor games starts now, not in late October. I think I've set up enough stuff that there'll be enough to cover the next half year, at least when paired with all my new exercise programs and my new little greenhouse. I'll just play whatever I want from Garden Paws, Staxel, Olive Town, Slime Rancher, and maybe One World and possibly even Spiritfarer, though I'm not super into that last one...plus there's my replays of My Time at Portia (now with cheats, woot!) A New Beginning, and continuing my 'Kamil' replay of SoS1...I left off on the day of the first pet contest...and my replay of Fantasy Life, too.

Eager for my greenhouse to be 100% finished, though. I just want to get that plastic on! Even the door can wait, and the cable to the ground anchor (er...well unless we have a sudden wind storm, and then that ground anchor cable becomes very important.)