Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've started Umineko. I'm going to be working on it for a long time, but so far I'm still in the territory of the anime adaption. Definitely already liking the sound novel's pace better than the anime, giving this giant cast time to breathe before getting into all the killing and mystery. Gonna grind NieR Reincarnation events while I work on it.

Gonna work on FFXIV's FFXV event tomorrow and get all the goodies. Feasibly I should be able to get it all in the better part of a day. It gives you Noctis' outfit, but if you want the music scrolls and the car, you have to grind them. I don't expect Black Desert Online to show up until late tomorrow anyways, so eh. We're always the last on the Amazon route due to being in a rural cul de sac outside of town. I'm waiting for a delivery of melon soda rn and I will not go to bed until I've partaken of a can!

Gonna draw a little bit tomorrow too. Mmmm, I love days off~
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I can play my games, but only for twenty or thirty minutes and then I'm already really tired and I have to put the game down. It's better than nothing I guess though...

Just wish I could do more even if I was still as weak as I am right now. At least then I wouldn't be spending hours doing basically nothing. I can watch a little tv but I still need to rest even when I just do that.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

You do what's right for your body, Daikon boy, but I'm glad you're able to play in short stints. At least handheld games are good for that!

--
Got to the end of the first half of the Inazuma story in Genshin today. Boy oh boy can you tell Mihoyo's strengths and weaknesses in terms of prerendered cutscenes. They're getting better, though!
Spoiler:
The scene with the shogun and Thoma was pretty great, though. Very...Xenoblade? I was a little mad that you don't get to beat her, though. I wish in times like that they would just beat your « Mr.Gourmet's hat » and be done with it...
My goal was to unlock requests/bounties, and now that that's done...I can chill and focus on knocking Stories 2 out.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, in playing Tale of Two Towns I remember why I stopped: I was gonna have to play until Spring 4 Year 4 because that's when I'll have my kid. Right now, I don't mind it; I'm taking care of my animals and hoarding stuff in my mechachicken. I have the outfit that makes it sunny the next day regardless of the situation, which is good; I don't have to feed my animals since my pets will take them outside.

Regardless of if I'll even get there today, I got my computer parts for a new computer! I'm so excited to have a gaming desktop again! I'll finally be able to play Life is Strange True Colors!
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'm working on getting 100% on Hanako Games newest game, Cute Bite. It's a raising sim where you help a vampire girl regain her old power by raising her stats. There are also no men in this game so all the romance options are female. So...lesbian vampire raiser? Despite the odd premise, I'm having fun with it. I have about 5 endings to go and I have most of the hardest ones out of the table. I'm mainly worried about winning without qualifying for a specific ending and also the boring playthrough where I just sleep and fail completely.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Right now that's all I can play in a single day, which is...not very much. But If I could at least play that a few times throughout the day it'd be better. I'm getting better but I'm not getting any less sleepy. I'm already used to being tired so maybe that's made it worse but. I'm eating better and everything, even had part of an enchilada today, but I don't feel hungry at all yet, still. Sometimes I want something specific, but feeling hungry hasn't come back yet. I can still eat though and it tastes good, it's just like the switch broke and I just need people to put the food in front of me because my body's not going to feel hungry even if it is. I have a good sense of how much food I can eat though once I actually eat so I'm not making myself sick or anything at least, and my body is finally getting some meaningful amount of nutrition, so maybe that'll help me recover even just a little faster.

I'm usually fairly ravenous at times, so it's a big sign that I'm not well, if I'm not eating really good and I like the food. Not playing video games for such a long stretch of time is another. Doing anything would be exhausting though. I'd be very frustrated by it all, but I'm too tired.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

There are 38 owls to find in this game, and I've found 25. I had already been guessing that I was about 2/3 finished the game, but I think that backs it up.

Not a spoiler but a slightly-amused rant, I guess?
Spoiler:
I have to laugh a little bit at the review that called this an 'incredibly long RPG', which is what set me to trying to find out where I was in the game, to figure out if it really was going to go on for much longer than I thought. But not only is this a very medium-length JRPG (quite SHORT if you compare it to behemoths like Xenoblade, particularly 'X') it's even short for a Tales game specifically. Most Tales games take around 45 to beat in the most typical way, whereas Arise takes more like 35. If you look at completionist-level finishing times, the gap is even bigger. You can platinum the game in about 60 hours. The next most recent game, Berseria, takes a hundred hours beyond that to hit completion, and that's about typical of the series.

I don't know why it's such a sticking point with me that they called it incredibly long, but it makes me both laugh and shake my head in disbelief. It's that 'incredibly' that they added in. Incredibly long. How many RPGs has this person played? Tales of Arise is, in length, incredibly medium. Hmm, doesn't have the same ring!
It's a great game. The characters are all really interesting, though they're also all very quirky. It's funny to me that Alphen might be the best-adjusted of the lot. That boy is just very grounded. He's unreasonably reasonable. I like him. I like them all. But I didn't fall in love with any of them, and I do want to punch some of them, sometimes. They all have huge character flaws, but they're interesting. In Berseria they did have character flaws, but they bored me. I couldn't get into that game at all as I didn't give a hoot about the story of any of them, but I do about these whackos. All their very notable flaws make sense for people who lived the way they did.

PROS:
  • Gorgeous graphics, environments are fascinating
  • Character designs are distinct.
  • Characters are interesting.
  • The map is wonderful, marks main quest, side-quests, and quests you have yet to pick up...makes it very easy to not miss anything.
  • DLC is genuinely helpful (Guess that might be a con, too.)
  • The story is presented in a way that's intense right from the beginning. It makes the story feel strangely fresh, even though it's so tropey. Each region's situation is really different from the others', too, even though they're all in the same overall situation...I like that they managed that.
CONS:
  • Battle is difficult/impossible to avoid when you just want to explore. LET ME JUST LOOK AROUND, dammit!
  • I still don't like the R1 attack, and the ONLY character I ever get Mystic Artes triggered for is Law. I'm not sure Alphen even HAS a Mystic Arte...there doesn't seem to be one listed in the Artes list the way there is for everyone else. I think I saw him glow blue once, though...the sign he's ready to release a mystic arte. HRM.
  • Story IS made up of all the Tales tropes used before, so none of the plot twists are surprising unless you're relatively new to the series.
  • Your progress in gaining skills for your character is heavily penalized if you choose to play in Story mode. (I permanently switched to Normal.)
Overall, I think Arise is a great 25th anniversary game. It still has Tales style in looks, character and story, but the way they've put it together feels fresh. I think it's a good thing that this is the game that managed to hit a million copies sold within its first week and is getting more attention than any Tales game ever has before (afaik), as I think it'll make a good impression on newcomers.

I wish Bokumono's 25th anniversary game had been this good. :(

Anyway, I really like the game, and I'm pretty sure it would have been an all-time favourite if this had been my first Tales, but I think I'm beyond the point where it's possible for any Tales game to ever be a *favourite*. Ys has replaced it, as a series on my list of games that produce entries that I love.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Got about half of what I need to get the Regalia in FFXIV. Gonna wait until the weekend to the the Fashion Report and get the rest I need. I discovered how addicting Chocobo Racing can be once you train your bird up. It's a pretty decent way to grind but I don't want to do it all day. The Gold Saucer is hopping though, everyone trying to get the car asap. The event it around until mid October, but I understand wanting to get your 4 seater mount asap.

The actual FFXV story event was very... eh, felt like an advertisement for said game rather than a fun event for FFXIV. It was probably cool at the time as the game was fresh and the exciting new installment, but as someone who really didn't enjoy FFXV, all I saw during the event was 'WHOAH, DOESN'T THIS LOOK COOL!? DON'T YOU WANNA BUY IT RIGHT NOOOOW?!' and it just made me feel kinda ick. On the flipside, they didn't have to bring the event back at all, it's nice that they did for fans and for people who want a 4 seater mount that you don't have to pay real money for.

Now it's time for Black Desert. It arrived yesterday around 7pm but I was still Gold Saucer grinding to even look at it past the cover art. Better start installing it now.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I got Eastward downloaded and ready to play. So far, it's pretty good! It reminds me of Zelda, and I love Zelda! I'm gonna hold off on it for now since I just got my PC back and I want to play Mass Effect Legendary Edition again and I need to play Life is Strange True Colors.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Jenny from Xseed has sent me my code for the Olive Town DLC :) Now I just have to wait until the game itself goes on sale! (Or until Black Friday has come and gone.) Even knowing everything I know, I still anticipate quite enjoying starting the game, and since I'll be playing in French to hopefully keep my brain awake (and maybe help stave off dementia since I now have had a very good look at what that's like and how desperately I want to avoid it!...Keeping my brain sharp is just a good idea.)

The excrement has struck the oscillating device in Tales of Arise, now. Is it what I expected? Well, yeah, more or less. They always remix it, so not in every detail. Though I am too tired to make as much progress as I'd like today...I don't think I'll go from 65 to 75% done today. Maybe, if I catch some freak second wind of energy this evening, but I've really gone through waves with this game. A few nights ago I REALLY didn't want to stop playing, but this is the second time I just haven't felt like continuing, even though it's very good.

I haven't gone back to Garden Paws, yet, and I couldn't care less about the Kitaria characters or story and the farming's not particularly fun, so I gave it up. I still mean to go back into Portia now that I have the update and the knowledge of a duplication glitch that I really could have used before. I'm so not letting Higgins place any of those deedees!

The next game I'm looking forward to most is Grow: Song of the Evertree (November 16th.) I might give Staxel a try on September 23, but I'm really not into the style.

EDIT: XSEED asked people if they've 'pre-ordered Knockout Fitness yet'. Why would we pre-order? There's absolutely no benefit to it. No discount or bonus or anything like that. What would be the point in pre-ordering? This isn't like Ring Fit where you need the physical version to be able to have the physical pieces (ring and strap.) And it's not like it's the type of game you're desperate to unlock the second it becomes available.
Last edited by Kikki on Sep 16, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Finished the first part of Umineko. I watched the anime when it was airing so nothing here was really new, but it was a good refresher. Not sure when I'll start the second part. It took me two seperate sit-downs of several hours to finish part one. There's still over 100 videos left in the playlist, and while that's a bit tiring to think about, I also really want to see where the story goes too. All gonna depend on how tired I am from work probably.

Started up Black Desert. As someone who's only MMO experience was early Runescape and current FFXIV, this is ...different. Combat is fun and the game is gorgeous, especially how nice you can make your character in the creator. There's going to be a lot of getting used to how it controls and the menus upon menus, but I can see myself slowly chipping away at this game when I want to relax.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Gaming has been...funky, the last few days. For WHATEVER reason my wifi on my desktop is being very spotty, and at its worst when I'm on wifi on desktop and laptop at the same time. Curse you...Genshin Impact. >:| I like to multitask. I guess I can go back to listening to my writing while I play... I don't listen very well while I'm gaming, though.

I had every intention of doing main quest stuff in Stories 2 yesterday...and I didn't. I got another dragon monstie and spent the night leveling it and my other late game monsties up... I need to look into if there's a decent way to farm up nutrients, because it would be nice to be able to keep early game monsties that I really like viable... they're just...slowly falling by the wayside, which makes me sad.

And Genshin is just... Genshin? Hit 24k primos again... Did the puzzle stuff at the big stone/bone snake boy (not entirely clear if its a dead giant snake or a rock formation), which was fun. No main quest today though. Too many wifi disconnects... Sigh.

Got some drawing to get done for the rest of the evening. Contrapoints is streaming now, too! Watch some Stardew Valley, draw some things.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Somebody was asking this recently, about Portia and the desert mine (probably Eufaula?). I can't believe the name of the person asking has already slipped my memory! Was it simside? But here:
I dunno if I feel like playing Arise today; I'm kinda worn-out. Feeling, anyway. But I'm doing quite well compared to this time last year. And my energy always plummets around noon until 3 or 4, then it gradually creeps back up (if I snatch a nap). The urge to sleep for a while in that time frame is often overwhelming. So saying I don't feel like playing Arise today, while I'm in that time frame, is probably meaningless. Let's see if I still feel that way after 5. I can't tell precisely where I am, plot-wise, but not including any post-game stuff, I think I did actually end up getting to about 75% of the way toward completing the story.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Deltarune Chapter 2 released yesterday and I'm gonna play it today after work. I wanted to play it on Switch so my save data could carry over, but it's not on consoles until further notice. Oh well, I played the original Undertale on PC and I can do this one too. Gonna stay the hell away from Twitter and the front page of Reddit until I finish it, because spoilers are probably already everywhere.

I GOT THE CAR. After I did the fashion report I only have to grind around an hour to get what was left of the 200,000 MGP goal. I can now say with all my heart I hate the 'Leap of Faith' GATE. It appears way too often and is way too frustrating for a measly 3000-4000 MGP. I'd rather play Triple Triad or Chocobo Racing that has less payout, but are 1000 times more enjoyable. Thankfully the music scrolls were easy to get and I'm now officially done with the FFXV event. Good riddance lol. I'll be back for the Moogle Tome event in mid October!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Didn't play any Arise yesterday and feel worn out again today. Is this the darkening hours hitting me or is it just a natural little low patch? Normally I'd just accept it as natural but I think the reason things are going better this year is because I've actively pounced on it when I start to regularly get that dull feeling in my head, by starting a new jigaw puzzle or a new garden project or some other new thing that kicks my brain up out of its tendency to sink into hibernation. But I may simply be genuinely tired. It'd be great if you could know your body's true condition at any time, so that it can't fake you out. :P

I'm having Li'l Cousin over for some exercise today; she expressed an interest in having a regular weekly session (any type of exercise, whatever works that day) and I'd say she needs it even more than I do, but it benefits both of us, so I went ahead and pushed that idea though. I'm going to get Fitness Boxing 2 (not sure if there's any reason to bother with FB1 at this point) and of course, Knockout Fitness on September 28th. Yoga gives me the creepies, but being a teenager I think my cousin may be intrigued by the (very long-lasting) trendiness of it, so I may also get that...what's it called? Yoga Master? Master Yoga? Something like that...the yoga program on Switch, anyway. I bought her Ring Fit and a set of workout clothes a week or two ago and apparently she's been using them, which is really nice. That poor kid is in horrible shape. She's 16 and regularly has back problems already, though she has no medical condition or injuries that cause it. Mostly I'd just like to see her be able to do a dozen sit-ups and squats with good form and no need to take a break. Just really basic, life-supporting fitness, you know? Stuff that helps you grocery shop and pick up your laundry...and strengthen the support around your spine so it doesn't get hurt so easily.

It's great that the Switch has this many fitness options. Cousin apparently lifted something heavy yesterday and that one thing has caused her to have a hurt back again, so today we may only be able to walk and do some stretching, since cycling is actually quite tough on the spine, particularly if your posture isn't stellar. But I live on top of a long hill that goes down to the river, so walking around here can be decent exercise. Though I'd be a little worried that she might get worn out coming back up the hill, like my sister does. I don't want her to get discouraged.

So for the next few months my Switch may be getting more use a a workout machine than an actual gaming one. It's a nice option, though, over DVDs; with the joy-cons to monitor your movements, it's like having your own personal trainer.

I'd like some fresh gaming news, though. A date for BotW2, for example...something big and juicy. Actually, BotW2 might be the ONLY major game I've got on my radar in the future, although there's been some notable low buzz about Xenoblade 3, which would be awesome (just PLEASE give me a main character I love, Monolith Software! Don't repeat that bland-as-milk Rex, who was just one giant shonen trope with no distinct characteristics whatsoever. All fiery-eyed, never-give-up spunk and nothing else...YAWN.) I don't think I have any reason to hope for any other major game revelations I'd be into whenever they next happen, though. Maybe FFVIIR Pt2?