New and tentative game announcements (V2)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Anyone else see the news about the Switch OLED model? From what I have seen, looks basically the same with a bigger screen and bigger kickstand, and the new dock has an Ethernet port built in? Oh and a different color scheme, lol. It's supposed to work the same with joycons, games, etc. To me it looks like just another version of the same thing, like the Switch Lite, so not a "next gen" console. I'm not sure I would want a bigger screen to tote around myself, but that's me.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I was actually super relieved by the OLED announcement. I don't feel like it's something scalpers are gonna succeed with, which is a relief (how many people who buy things from scalpers understand what OLED is?).

For the people who really want a slightly larger, better looking screen...cool! I'm all set. OLED looks VERY nice, but I still have a big fear of burn in. Wifi on the Switch that doesn't suck would be super, but if online games are the concern...an ethernet dongle would be so much cheaper. And if you're playing in docked mode, the fancy OLED screen is moot? :shifty:

I see why Nintendo didn't put this in their E3 presentation. The rage at a tweet will go away faster. It's not a bad upgrade, it's just nothing special either.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Double post to save money.

If anybody hasn't preordered Monster Hunter Stories 2 yet and is considering getting it on PC, it's $10 off (I believe US or Canadian) on Green Man Gaming.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/mo ... f-ruin-pc/
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I feel the same about the OLED as I did with the Lite. I used to be a handheld only gamer until I was given access to consoles, so now I only go handheld with my Switch if the power is out or if I'm mindlessly grinding something in a game while I watch something.

But if I was still only handheld, I probs would have been interested. That said, OLEDs, while pretty, have screen burn in issues. Not only that, I remember this happening with my Vita, but the mura effect as well. Mark my words, there is going to be tons of people online losing their minds over both issues after the system launches.

EDIT:

Here Comes Niko! has a release date. It seems it's not releasing simultaneously on Switch (the devs mention it in the first comment below), but I am intrigued by this one. I'm not into platformers, but this looks very comfy.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think the OLED Switch is a great purchase if you have a combination of these conditions:
  • Primarily use Switch in handheld or tabletop mode
  • Own no Switch or only a launch Switch (which had notably inferior battery life that got improved about a year later.)
  • Need to replace your existing Switch because it isn't working well.
  • Know what an O LED screen is, understand that there won't be ANY improvement in resolution or frame rate, and also know what the risk of burn-in means.
I no longer count 'big into multiplayer/online-features' as a reason to get this new model, because they will be selling the new dock separately, and it works with the original Switch, so you don't need to buy the new console just to have a LAN port. (Though of course you could always have turned one of your HDMI ports into a LAN port with a dongle even with your original Switch/dock.)

I do own a launch Switch. But I never use it in handheld. Like, ever. In the literally thousands of hours of hours I've spent on my Switch, I've put maybe 5-12 hours into handheld mode? Usually when I'm feeling sick and know I'm about to get stuck in the bathroom for an hour, lol...something like that. Nothing I do for fun...just when I don't have another choice. I think I did it for one otome game because I prefer playing otoges handheld. *shrug* My launch Switch still works perfectly, too...no issues.

I might get the new dock separately because I like the white better than black (though I currently have a Sheikah Slate kit on my Switch/dock atm, so it's kinda moot), but I don't think it makes sense for me to get the console unless my Switch starts to function poorly, or if somehow I end up gaming handheld more often. (Though the Lite would always be more comfortable to hold even in that case.)

This is like the 3DS XL, kinda. It's not even as much of an upgrade as the New 3DS, because there is no increase in processing power. I did get an XL because I really wanted that larger screen, since it's a handheld-only little beastie, but since I don't use my Switch handheld, I don't see the point, unless I should need to replace my existing Switch.

I do think there's plenty of reason to upgrade, though, if you primarily use an OG Switch in handheld or tabletop mode. Then I'd find getting this to be a no-brainer. I just don't happen to be in that situation, myself.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Genshin Impact 2.0 releases on July 21st.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEOI-Ae ... shinImpact

I am legit hype, been looking forward to getting the next explorable map. Story looks rad too, should be an interesting turn from the previous two regions.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, okay...Olympia Soiree is releasing on September 9. WHY? WHY DO GAMES ALWAYS DO THIS? I go for months without even one day-one purchase, and then two or three decided to cluster within day of each other. Whyyyyyy? (Tales of Arise is on September 10th.)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeahhh, that's me with Brilliant Diamond (Nov 19th) and FFXIV: Endwalker (Nov 23rd). I hardly get to take a breath lol between two ginormous JRPGs with tons of side content.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUj4wq1ousY (Button City Release Date trailer)

Button City is coming out August 10th for a lot of platforms. Although, Switch's e-shop lists it as releasing on August 11th for $20 US.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

An otoge called Cupid Parasite is going to be localized by Idea Factory International (IFI). I'm not sure how to post it as news, because it got a rating in Australia and then IFI posted a spoofy video that's not actually an announcement. The game is by Idea Factory, of course, and I'm interested in all non-Otomate otoges at this point, as they're hopefully a little more outside of the tropes I expect. It sounds like an odd one, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

If anyone is unfamiliar with Cupid Parasite, here's a site that summarizes the game's setting and characters. But WARNING: I don't know enough about the game to tell if anything in there is a spoiler. I think it's not...I think those are basic intros rather than secrets that get revealed later on. But I'm not sure.

It sounds mildly cracktastic, tbh. I might not mind that, though. I have been wanting a truly funny otoge for ages now and Cafe Enchante failed me hugely on that note. What can I say? I can't take straight romance seriously...I enjoy it more when it's a romantic comedy, I guess. I like romance mixed with laughter or I find it a bit cringe instead.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey, the Valve Steam Deck might be big news? I think maybe you could use this to turn Steam into console gaming rather than PC gaming, no? It's dockable, too, so it's not just a handheld, and apparently it'll work with anything you have in your Steam library (of games). So...this means you can play Steam games even if you don't actually have a PC? All you need is a Steam account.

I would totally get this if it lets me play Steam games console-style, no need for my pitiful laptop. I mean, I can still BUY the games on my laptop, but it won't play most of them. I actually really want this, though I don't think I'll try to get in on the pre-order queue tomorrow. I'll wait for the next batch. I always like to let others go first to see if the hitches have been ironed out. Though it's tempting!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Alright, not even joking, I want a Steam Deck. There are a lot of titles I want to play but can't due to absolutely hating PC gaming. Most of said titles are stuck in early access or titles that don't have a hell of a chance coming to a Westward console, so this is kinda a 'mighty need' for me. Especially since It's literally just a Switch but with extreme processing power. Imagine, Final Fantasy XIV on the go, me watching anime or something while I mindlessly grind. This is what I do with my Switch a lot and I am SOLD. Husbando said we'll take a wait and see approach with it (smart), but I really hope it doesn't become a PS5 situation.

Edit: Also, Caligula Effect 2 has a release date
Spoiler:
Pretty good time for me as there's nothing else for me that month/until November. I feel like Oxenfree 2 might shadowdrop sometime in October, but they've also been a bit radio (heh) silent since showing up on the Nindie Direct.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I definitely want one, too, since I was already considering getting a gaming PC (due to the sheer number of games that are only available on PC that both my sister and I are interested in) and I'd much rather get this, since it can be used in full console mode or in handheld, and it's basically a PC itself. But I don't want to commit on the first go, so I'll wait for their next bunch of pre-orders, I guess. Supposedly this batch ships in December? I think. It'd be great to have them around then but I really don't want to be in the first group of customers.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/h ... rk-switch/ ((Haven Park))

A cute-looking little Indie game is releasing on the Nintendo Switch, on August 5th, 2021. It's only $9 US, and it gives me both Animal Crossing vibes (and, due to the short length) and it also reminds me of A Short Hike.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, the Steam Deck has been pre-ordered like crazy, so the pre-orders for the first two versions are into Q2 2022, now, and the last version is into Q3. So I went ahead and made a pre-order for the best version with the idea that I can't possibly receive it before Q2-3, and therefore loads of time to see how it works for other people before then, since the first people to get one should be starting to play with it in December. I can cancel my deposit any time, after all, though that $5 is only really refundable for one month...I don't care about $5 anyway. I thought the pre-orders were for the first batch available in December, but that's not exactly true. They'll be emailing 'invitations' to purchase the Steam Deck in the order of pre-orders made. So if you don't want to buy when you're able to, you can just opt out. (Or you can opt out before that if you decide you don't like the look of it even before your turn comes up.)

Just putting that up if anyone else is considering pre-ordering but doesn't want to get in right on the ground floor. It's no longer possible to get one with the first batch now so you wouldn't have to worry about that. (EDIT: That reservation date is for Canada specifically because that is where my account is from. Dunno the info in the US or Europe.)