New and tentative game announcements (V2)

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Cloud games CAN run very well, depending on how far away you are from their servers. I can't remember what the first cloud game on Switch was, but the servers were only in Japan, so it ran like « Mr.Gourmet's hat » in North America. :/ If there's an NA server for the Kingdom Hearts games it should be fine. Might be better to wait for reviews though. (Especially with the Switch's existing wifi problems...)

There is one other thing to keep in mind, actually. Cloud games qualify as "always online", so they're not really "on the go" experiences typically.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the Kingdom Hearts games coming to Switch. I guess they had to do that to make the Smash reveal make more sense, lol. I have only played the DS one, Re: Coded, and I liked it, though I never did finish it as I hated Wonderland and was so mad I had to go back there as the story went on. How well do cloud games typically run? I have never tried the mainline games since they were all on other platforms.
I was surprised, too! I guess it's tied in a little with Sora coming to Smash. (At last...I've heard more cries of 'Sora for Smash' than any other.)

Personally, I can't get interested in Kingdom Hearts. I did have it on my wishlist, but I've seen gameplay and I find the story and characters uninteresting or, in the case of the Disney classic characters, gratingly annoying. (I have never liked Mickey, Goofy, etc. Mickey's voice drives me batty...makes me want to punch his face in.) But I do think it's cool that the whole series is popping over to Switch; that should make lots of people happy. :)
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:Cloud games CAN run very well, depending on how far away you are from their servers. I can't remember what the first cloud game on Switch was, but the servers were only in Japan, so it ran like « Mr.Gourmet's hat » in North America. :/ If there's an NA server for the Kingdom Hearts games it should be fine. Might be better to wait for reviews though. (Especially with the Switch's existing wifi problems...)

There is one other thing to keep in mind, actually. Cloud games qualify as "always online", so they're not really "on the go" experiences typically.
Good to keep in mind, definitely not a a pre-order or day one purchase then. I will be wishlisting and keeping an eye on them for sure then.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

@Genshin Impact players... 2.3 characters revealed. Goro and...an actual grown up, big man? I didn't think they would do it, but they did it. I guess I'll be saving up? I like geo characters. And grown ups.
Spoiler:
Head spinning. :lol: Dammit Mihoyo.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Atelier Sophie is getting a sequel.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/atelier ... tch-and-pc

Personally, I won't be playing it. I've still not played Atelier Ryza 2 and I'm not sure If I really want to either. I'd say I've maybe fallen out of love with the series or maybe I have fatigue with it, but honestly, imo, they're picking the wrong series to continue. The 4th Arland game (Lulua) was unneeded and frankly boring, while I did enjoy Ryza I didn't really want more of her, and now Sophie? Really???? While the original did sell well, it's a really boring Atelier game outside of the synthesis mini game. It's a common agreement in the fandom that Sophie was a disappointment overall and the Mysterious trilogy got better as it went on with Firis and Lydie&Suelle. I struggled to finish the first Sophie game and I don't think anything would be tempting enough to try and suffer through the cast again. The Mysterious Trilogy is really a low point for the series because it was just OK. The PS2 titles have the charm of their era, The Arland Trilogy is extremely cute and fun to play, The Dusk Trilogy is a beautiful take on a dying world, and Ryza brought new life to the series (though I doubt it would have sold as much if it weren't for her sexualized design). The Mysterious Trilogy just kind've exists, it's honestly a really bland fantasy world you can see in any other JRPG. If I have one good thing to say about it, it does have fantastic music; the opening and battle theme are very, very good pieces of Atelier music that I still listen to often.

ANYWAYS; wake me up when there's a new game in the Dusk series. I am always up for more Hidari art and more stories from the world of Dusk.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This may be old news...I can't remember if we had a specific date for this or not. Cupid Parasite is releasing on November 2nd. Man, this always happens! ACNH 2.0, Grow: SotE and Cupid Parasite are all releasing within about 2 weeks! Oh well, not a bad problem to have. CP is one of the few otoges I will probably go through with purchasing this year. I've been looking for a different experience than I can get with Otomate games, and in particular I want FUNNY, and Cupid Parasite (I keep accidentally writing Cupid PARADISE, so if you see that, it's supposed to be parasite.) looks it'll be good 'n' silly.

Not great timing, for me to get it Day 1. Not sure what'll happen there, but I do want it. Though maybe I should wait to see if it really IS funny? I thought Cafe Enchante would be funny, and it wasn't...not in the SLIGHTEST. It was a huge disappointment...my biggest gaming disappointment of 2020, I believe. The set-up was so ridiculous in places that I thought it had to be funny, but instead it was cheap, somewhat tacky melodrama, imo. Really not happy with that one, perhaps all the more so because I thought I'd finally get something cute-funny and I felt like I just got a drunken drama llama (whose character art was nowhere near attractive enough to distract me from the strangely uninteresting plot.)
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:This may be old news...I can't remember if we had a specific date for this or not. Cupid Parasite is releasing on November 2nd. Man, this always happens! ACNH 2.0, Grow: SotE and Cupid Parasite are all releasing within about 2 weeks! Oh well, not a bad problem to have. CP is one of the few otoges I will probably go through with purchasing this year. I've been looking for a different experience than I can get with Otomate games, and in particular I want FUNNY, and Cupid Parasite (I keep accidentally writing Cupid PARADISE, so if you see that, it's supposed to be parasite.) looks it'll be good 'n' silly.

Not great timing, for me to get it Day 1. Not sure what'll happen there, but I do want it. Though maybe I should wait to see if it really IS funny? I thought Cafe Enchante would be funny, and it wasn't...not in the SLIGHTEST. It was a huge disappointment...my biggest gaming disappointment of 2020, I believe. The set-up was so ridiculous in places that I thought it had to be funny, but instead it was cheap, somewhat tacky melodrama, imo. Really not happy with that one, perhaps all the more so because I thought I'd finally get something cute-funny and I felt like I just got a drunken drama llama (whose character art was nowhere near attractive enough to distract me from the strangely uninteresting plot.)
I hadn't heard of this game so I went digging around in some in-depth reviews to get an idea about Cupid Parasite (I don't mind being spoiled in this case so I got a lot of detail). What I found mostly seemed positive. There were a lot of comments about how funny it was, there were mentions of traditional romance tropes and such, and the protagonist was praised for being active and funny which is always a plus. There are plenty of greek mythology in the story so that's a plus for fans, especially in a couple specific routes.

That being said, there were a few things I read that could potentially be a turn-off. For one thing, « Chicken Hugging » plays a role in the story, especially in certain routes. Now, I'm all for « Chicken Hugging » being portrayed in a positive healthy way in media, but I generally don't look for it in VNs because reading it there makes me uncomfortable for some reason. Also, one of the reviews mentioned that there are some just plain absurd scenes done for humor that might not appeal to people, which is fair. Humor is subjective after all. There are also no traditionally bad endings, only endings that appear to lead to a different path, except in the secret route in which there is only one ending. Some of those can end up going pretty off the rails though, which likely isn't for everyone.

I'm interested, but it may end up being a Cyber Monday/Black Friday purchase for me if not a potential Christmas gift.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ah, thanks, Simply Unknown :) I'm not sure what I'll do; ACNH 2.0 is definitely Day 1 stuff, particularly with it being half a free update. And I have really wanted Grow for months...though honestly I didn't like their last game (Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles) so it has that against it, but that game had no world-building, and this is mostly town/world building, which is my favourite game genre.

Cupid Parasite is just an otoge, so it's always the first to fall off a wishlist if something else comes along. Though I do really, really like when they're funny. (Probably why my favourite shoujo manga is Skip Beat! Never laughed harder in my life than while reading that one. As hard, a few times, but never harder.)

They're all Day 1 level, for me, but there's no way I'm gonna get 3 games in two weeks. Though ACNH 2.0 is only about a third of full price since it's an add-on, and Grow will be moderate, probably, since it's borderline indie. But I don't have that much time to give to gaming that I can do three games in two weeks, lol. Something's gotta give! Too bad CP comes first instead of last. I should leave it. I don't think it'll go on sale on Black Friday since that's too soon after it's initial release, and I doubt I'll want to wait for months to pick it up.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what I do. If my bank account is plusher than usual, I'll probably get them all, but otherwise CP will have to wait...it's the only one that may end up full price on release anyway. I don't think I have any purchases in December, or even January. Unless Variable Barricade comes out in January ('early 2022' is all I know for that one.) I hear it's pretty funny, too, actually! I hope it really is. I also like a lively heroine, even if she's a bit bratty...so much better than a lifeless pushover.

Most reviews I see online for otoges are by Breadmaster Lee, and I rarely agree with her opinions, lol, so I mostly don't look up otoge reviews any more. (Plus I hate spoilers, and many of them don't seem to mark theirs that well.)
XxWizardxMollyxX14
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

iLoveSprites75 wrote:ConcernedApe, developer of Stardew Valley, announced his current project in development, Haunted Chocolatier
I.Am.So. Hyped for this, it's not even funny.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Aaaaaa thanks for sharing, Haunted Chocolatier looks so cute!

I'm still waffling a little on the visual style (my only issue with Stardew was the character sprites), because it's in its own way pigeon holing yourself by keeping the same art style for a game that isn't a direct sequel, buuuut... keeping it will sell games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The premise is adorable, though. 100% here for it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wow, okay! Since I'm not a Stardew fan (not that I hated it, but it was only 'okay' to me), the enthusiasm over that Chocolate game leaves me in the cold. BUT I just saw that Fantasy Life Online is coming west. Now THAT sounds pretty cool (to me). Though I'd prefer Fantasy Life 2, this is one I would at least try out! (If I can do it on a tablet, since I don't own a cell phone.)

Funny thing, the closed beta mentions Canada, but does not mention the US...
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Fantasy Life Online looks cute, too! Like a gacha that might not get too predatory.

I can guarantee you can play it on a tablet (by the phrasing in the article), the only thing I would say is to make sure that your device has been approved to run it before downloading. The play/app store will not tell you no, even if your device can't handle it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

XxWizardxMollyxX14 wrote:
iLoveSprites75 wrote:ConcernedApe, developer of Stardew Valley, announced his current project in development, Haunted Chocolatier
I.Am.So. Hyped for this, it's not even funny.
Same. It looks so rad.

Just a warning about Fantasy Life Online, it's being published by Boltend and they do not have a good track record right now. They've messed with gacha rates and purposely made events unable to complete without spending money. The Japanese versions of the games did not do this so it was tweaked by Boltend to be predatory. They did this with Disagea RPG and Atelier Online. I'd just keep this in mind before approaching any of their titles in the future.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Not sure if this belongs here, but not really deserving of its own thread potentially -

From yesterday until Nov. 11th, if you have Pokémon Shield, go to GameStop to receive a code for shiny Zacian. From Nov. 12th, you can get the code for shiny Zamazenta in Sword, but I'm not sure of the end date on that one.