Bravely Default II

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anyone playing this on the Switch? I've seen ads that it's just come out (NA) and have been thinking about it. I played the first game, but never could finish it. To be honest the story just didn't get hold of me.

I think there is a demo for the game so I might try that first, or watch some YouTube, or both.

So is anyone playing it? What are your thoughts on the gameplay and story?

Thanks.

Also, for those that have both, BD2 or Octopath Traveler? Other similar suggestions?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've heard that the game is OK, but could have used more time in the oven. It's old school with proper QoL improvements, but the story is apparently a tired cliché and it also forces you to grind a lot to progress, which is honestly bad game design by today's day and age (it's extra unneeded padding to artificially extend the game's length). Another thing a lot of people are noticing is that this title is lacking some effort the precious two entries had, especially with properly melding the 3D models with the 2D backgrounds, and the fact that there's no opening full CG cutscene. I'd say if you like old styled turn based JRPGs and want a 'nostalgic' experience, go for it.

I will say that I really enjoyed Octopath Traveler though, not only because it was made to look and feel like an HD version of an old JRPG, but because they went in a completely different direction with storytelling. Each of the 8 characters are their own protagonist and just happen to be traveling with the others, so they rarely talk to one another (there's like a party chat feature that pops up depending on who's active and where you are) and are each in their own story. Each character's narrative is connected to an overall plot point, but I personally really liked how it was stories about individuals on their own journey and not a full party dynamic. It also has some grinding, but I never felt like it was blocking my progress until mentioned overall (and honestly optional) plot.

Bravely Default II is a JRPG story with elemental crystals and world saving, Octopath Traveler is a collection of self contained stories that lead up to something else.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yeah I've been on the fence about it since it's developed by a different developer than the other two. Which is why everything has been Square Enix talking about it since both developers are under Square Enix. It's actually developed by the folks who made the JP only phone app. Also I've read that part of the reason it's BD2 instead of BD3 (which is should have been imo) is that they're trying to sweep Bravely Second under the rug since it was a "disappointment" to fans which I don't get at all since I like Bravely Second waaaaaay more than I liked Bravely Defaut.

The grinding is also a big turn off for me. Like if you need to "fix" a gameplay mechanic by letting the player let the game play itself or going "you can turn off random encounters if you don't like then (: ...you just won't be high enough level to beat the boss (:" then maybe the game mechanic is the problem.

My biggest question is does it have the same... oomph in the second half as the other BD games? I really want to know before I jump into it but I don't want to spoil it if there is. I just want to know if there is and how it compares to BD and BS's second half (tho the fact that it doesn't have a subtitle sort of speaks volumes on that front :( )
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Been really itching for a good rpg so I hope it's good but yeah Im worried about the second half. Past iterations had a rough time with pacing.
Pachi
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I was gonna get this day 1, but it turns out my school semester starts right on 1 Mar, so I opted to just get it when we end by June (hopefully there would be a guide then too hahah). I share the same sentiments with Kat (especially Second>>>Default), but I'm still definitely playing it regardless. I haven't been following the game closely though, so I don't really have news on how it's perceived.