My Time At Portia impressions

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Hi, I’m thinking of picking up My Time At Portia for Switch soon. Can anyone tell me what kind of vibes it has, or anything else? Basically I want your stream of consciousness if you’ve played. I’m a big HM/SOS player and I enjoyed Stardew Valley also. So anyway, what did you think of MTAP? Thanks in advance!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Here's the thread from when it first released and a lot of us we're playing it:

https://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php? ... +at+portia

I'll say while it's playable on Switch, it has a lot of issues still and it seems the devs aren't keen on fixing them. It's in a much better state than when it launched, but it's not where it should be.

Personally, a few years after playing a large chunk of the game on Switch, I can say I enjoyed my experience for the most part. The game is LONG, like, obscenely so. The story just keeps going and going, and there's so much going on outside of it at the same time it can get overwhelming. It is at it's core a game that's meant to be taken at your own pace, whether that's crafting your fanny off to beat the other local crafter or just deciding if you want to fish or dungeon dive or explore or mine or ectectectect. I ended up stopping not too long after getting married and reaching a point in the story where crafting was becoming a pain to keep up with. I put 40-50 hours into it before putting it down.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Portia is wildly, almost disturbingly addictive. If you'd been with us when the load of us were playing after release, you'd have seen that a lot of us found it was difficult to stop playing, and that even once you did, you couldn't get to sleep, because your mind was still spinning with the things you needed to do next. It's NOT a relaxing game. Not even a little bit relaxing! Not unless you just forget about the constant competition with Higgins, anyway, because you really have to be on your game to beat him and be #1 workshop in Portia...you can't slack off. I wish that part could be disabled. I can't stand not winning against that guy, so I can't just ignore it.

Very interesting and fun game in many parts, but kinda stressy, for me...definitely not a game I could call relaxing. I do really like the mining and relics and stuff.

It's definitely a game about being a handyman/craftsman and NOT a farmer or animal person, though, if that matters. Farming is incidental to this game. It's helpful to get a few of the ingredients but this definitely isn't a farming game.

Haven't played it since release. Might play it again if they ever get the promised console update done, but they've been saying that they were working on that for so long I don't see any point in believing it until I see it, now.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Although it's notoriously glitchy, I enjoyed it enough to see it through to the end, and that took a while irl (had to take breaks sometimes and play something else for a while). I have even started a new file this year and am about halfway through again I think, and that's in spite of the glitches and occasional crash, it really is that addictive of a gameplay loop. It took me about 3 in game years I believe to "beat" it (get to the credits rolling). That included a lot of crafting, mining, fighting, exploring, events, story, 2 never-aging babies, and two in-game marriages. An exceptional amount of head canon fodder for my original character and her relationships with other characters and the story, lol. I am playing around a bit more in my new file since I know what I am doing more and discovered the duplication glitch, which can net you a pretty much infinite amount of money, but I mostly have used it to get extra items, like a boat or bus to put in the workshop yard. I did do my original file completely legitimately, for the record though.

In hindsight though, I wish I would have waited a while to get it, as now it seems to go on sale for a good discount fairly frequently.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

My Time at Portia is a buggy, catastrophe of a game on Switch...but I loved it anyway. Get it on sale, though. As much as I enjoyed myself, don't give a company that isn't willing to make their game remotely stable full price.

I can vouch for the fun though - it's got one of the best crafting gameplay loops in the genre. Inventory management is barely a half step above Stardew (not good), and I'd say romance is so-so. There's some cute ideas there too, but the localization in particular needs help. Sometimes it was funny, sometimes it took away from the fun.

Tldr: worth your time, just get it on sale.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Thanks so much, friends! This actually helped me a lot. I’m definitely going to get it!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

MTaP-console-update has had news as of June. This is the most recent one I know of. In summary...apparently the work to complete update the console versions up to the standard of the PC version is done and they're just waiting on the publisher (Team17) to upload it. Basically. That was from June 17th. They mention the process it has to go through to get uploaded/finalized, but Pathea's part appears to be done (except squashing any bugs that crawl out during the final step) so we're just waiting now on the final step of having everything checked and approved. No idea how long that takes.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Nice news about the update! Maybe I’ll wait for it to be done. I’m happy to hear they haven’t forgotten about Portia