Monster Hunter Stories 2 Release Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I am sooooooo glad that they made it so that each monster egg has just one pattern compared to the four patterns per monster in the first game. It makes it sooooooo much easier to tell them apart without having an egg guide open whenever I'm in a nest. AND they even have their patterns in their Monstie entries so we can use ingame stuff to tell if you've seen that egg before or not ^^
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It really sounds like the devs did a great job refining the first game's systems. Having to have a guide for eggs sounds miserable. :/ There's so many monsters! It does seem like they're generally set to particular biomes though, which probably helps. Set patterns is still better.

The only problem I'm having with Stories 2 is that most of the streamers I follow are playing it...so I have nothing to watch! :lol: They're all farther ahead than me and I don't want spoilers.

I've watched enough of Rise that I get excited seeing monsters I recognize. Haven't earned it, but I really love them. There's so many good designs.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Sweet! They simplified egg identification? I do remember looking up an egg guide for the first game because I was tired of getting a lot of the same thing, except when I was doing the gene swapping thing. I wonder, has anyone noticed if there are egg shell pieces to put together in this one too? I never got enough together in the first game to make a full egg myself. Also, do you get to hunt for the lost pigs/poogies again?
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Yup! Tho a note on eggs, it seems like you can't get the egg of a monster until you encounter it in the story.

No poogies in this one it seems.

things I like so far
  1. Graphics are gorgeous compared to the first game
  2. Voice Acting in English! I wasn't sure about Navirou's voice but I'm starting to get used to it
  3. you can look at the whole area map!
  4. Sidequest givers are marked on the map! (in the first game you had to run around all of the towns to find them)
  5. Treasure chests appear on the map!
  6. More party members!!! Hopefully this will lead to less moments of being your monster's water/potion boy lol
  7. I just unlocked "Quick Finish" which will hopefully help with grinding if there is any
  8. you can switch weapons in battle!
  9. egg system improvements (monster having one pattern each etc)
things I don't like as much
  1. I liked the most stylized battle UI of the first game. This one is fine but just doesn't have the same... oomph.
  2. In the first game, there was a sort of risk vs reward of gathering resources in dens/nests. Since the longer you're there the more likely a monster is to show up. While monsters can show up it doesn't seem to happen when you gather stuff so there isn't as much of a risk vs reward there.
and an early story thing
Spoiler:
story wise there isn't as much about you becoming a rider, you just are one at the start. Some might like that you get right into the gameplay loop. Tho they don't really explain the significance of kinship stones and I wonder if that might be confusing to newcomers.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Palamute update is tomorrow!

Have a super quick question for everyone, in regards to our grandpa (second area spoilers):
Spoiler:
When you see the young version of him in cutscenes, is his eye color the same as your created character? Mine are a deep purple, and so are Red's in the cutscenes. I feel like our eye shape is really similar too, but that's more likely a coincidence. I'd like to look this up myself, but really don't want to hit spoilers.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

^@ the spoiler yeah I noticed that too! It seems like he has the same eye color (and possibly shape tho idk) and skin color as the MC. it's such a cool detail! here's a non spoiler reddit post about it (idk if there's spoilers in the comments tho so watch out)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/ ... ou_havent/
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Yeah Red's skin color and eye color is the same as the protag, also the nest system is a godsend, I am so glad they don't have multiple eggs per monster.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I am really liking the game so far, and really appreciate the quality of life improvements. I especially like being able to have a buddy to battle alongside you for portions of the game. It also seems like you unlock the rite of channeling earlier in this one. I have just gotten to the point of getting the title Rathalos. I am a little sad about progressing to the next area though, as I have to leave my Alwin behind. :( There was a thread going a while back about video game characters we had fallen for and Alwin has certainly made the list, lol
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I got the credits last night.
Spoiler:
It should technically be 40 hours there because I spent 5 hours in the demo. I had a lot of fun with this title, moreso that the original title thanks to some much needed balancing and of course the improved graphics too. There is a ton of post game to keep people going if they want as a lot of monsties are locked to after the credits. I honestly don't really have much more to say other than it was fun and I had fun. I think my favorite thing about the game, and I'm being 100% honest here, is how cinematic the story cutscenes were. They always had my attention and I could just feel the emotion poured into them. I laughed, I cried, I was in awe of just how well everything looked and felt.

My only beef with the game is in regards to almost unwinnable battles that have absolutely no room for error, like the Gammoth, but whywhywhhhhy did they make the final boss one of them!? I will spoil nothing in regards to it, but if you end up having as much trouble with it as I did, you're not alone, tons of people have beef with it and there is a guide on reddit you can find with a simple google search on how to beat it. It's very much a 'know my patterns or die' kind of fight, so yeah, not overly impressed with that decision, but knowing I'm not the only one who yelled 'are you serious!?' at my TV over it helps the sting a little bit lol. I feel bad for kids playing the game because there's final bosses, and then there's « Male Cow Poopoo » lmao. None of the prior bosses have that many asspulls, so I think that's why I and so many were completely blindsided by it.

Anywho, good game. It sold over a million copies, so expect a Monster Hunter Stories 3 (or maybe an expansion?!) sooner than later. Capcom has got itself another golden goose.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I got the credits last night.
Spoiler:
SNIP

Anywho, good game. It sold over a million copies, so expect a Monster Hunter Stories 3 (or maybe an expansion?!) sooner than later. Capcom has got itself another golden goose.
Other than the base game, how much more did you buy? For example is that armor in the stat screen base game armor or a DLC upgrade? I'm just curious as to how much, if any, I want to put into DLC for the game or if it's just fine without it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My MC's hair and Navirou's armor are things I bought from the DLC page. It's all cosmetic, the only DLC that isn't a costume or hair style (or edit ticket) is a free starter set with a bunch of items. I am personally a sucker for looking nice in games that allow it, so I think I spent a total of $6 on top of the base game.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:My MC's hair and Navirou's armor are things I bought from the DLC page. It's all cosmetic, the only DLC that isn't a costume or hair style (or edit ticket) is a free starter set with a bunch of items. I am personally a sucker for looking nice in games that allow it, so I think I spent a total of $6 on top of the base game.
Thanks good to know. That is some very cool looking armor. I may have to look into some of that.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I wasn't sure how I would like the co-op missions at first, but after unlocking the exploring missions, I think they are great! Also a bit addictive and distracting from the main story, searching for extra eggs and treasures before slaying the monster. Almost everyone I have been matched with has been great, with one exception just going straight for the boss and beating it before I found all the chests and eggs, and it was my ticket! Thankfully everyone else has been courteous, some even apologizing for an accidental monster encounter. :)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I don't think I want anything more than a vague/non-spoilery answer, but just out of morbid curiosity... Are quests labeled as (Hard) always « Male Cow Poopoo » Hard? :lol: Counter my attacks or else, I mean.

By sheer DUMB LUCK I beat one tonight. It's the only thing I've wiped on so far, and I happened to be in the area, desperately trying to get Basarios to flee so I could get an egg, and...ran into the fight without remembering what I was getting myself into until it was too late. I spent too much time getting an egg to not put my back into the fight, and there's no running from it so... Phew?

No idea when the next time I'll try another one of those will be. :/ Maybe if the rewards are worthwhile. My egg was worth more than what I got for the quest!
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Based on the few I have tried, I am going to say yes, they seem hard for the sake of being hard. I did a bit better with a buddy and getting pretty far ahead of the area where the hard fight was assigned. I'm actually saving most that are marked hard for post-game personally, lol.