The Pokémon Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Your favorite Pokémon generation?

You may select 1 option

View results

greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I am excited for the upcoming Diamond and Pearl remakes since I have not played those ones yet, as well as the Arceus game. I'm also surprisingly looking forward to the new TCG Live app that's coming out soon too.

I am old enough that I remember when Gen 1 was new, mostly from media about the anime I didn't actually watch. If you count the spin-offs, my first game was renting Pokemon Snap from the video store because it was something new. We didn't have a Gameboy or any real familiarity with the franchise at that time so it was more of a "let's take pictures of these random creatures and make fun of the audible comments the Professor makes at the end of stage" game for my brother and me. I did think Jigglypuff was super adorable though.

My first actual game and favorite was Alpha Sapphire, as an adult, cementing the series in my favorites. After that I have tried a good portion of the mainline games and a few spin-offs, and had a lot of fun with them. Even though Alpha Sapphire is my favorite, I think Pokemon Black had the best storyline/villain of the games I played.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

So I'm going through my backlog and through teenagerhood and adulthood I didn't finish much of any game, including Pokémon, even though I've owned all of them and I believe all of the spin-offs. And I'm more than half of the way through Black right now (gen 5 was the first one I didn't beat), I'm actually surprised how many people said gen 5 was their favorite. It's good, but honestly it's probably my least favorite! Don't get me wrong, they've all got their own pros and cons - I guess I just never expected it to be one of the more popular gens.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

iLoveSprites75 wrote:So I'm going through my backlog and through teenagerhood and adulthood I didn't finish much of any game, including Pokémon, even though I've owned all of them and I believe all of the spin-offs. And I'm more than half of the way through Black right now (gen 5 was the first one I didn't beat), I'm actually surprised how many people said gen 5 was their favorite. It's good, but honestly it's probably my least favorite! Don't get me wrong, they've all got their own pros and cons - I guess I just never expected it to be one of the more popular gens.
For a while, Gen 5 was pretty considered either a person's least favorite region or their favorite. Fans loved the focus on story, the fact that there were no old Pokemon in the regional dex, and N. People who hated it ragged on the new Pokemon designs (claiming Gamefreak was running out of ideas), the new experience formulas, and the lack of really good stuff for competitive. Nowadays, it's liked more partially because of nostalgia and people who like the storyline. At least for Black/White. B2W2 had their own problems which I won't get into.

Personally, I like Gen 5 a lot, though there are a few things that bother me when playing it. I get the Exp problems, I find N to be very creepy (seriously, either he's 18 when the protags are 12 or he's 20 when they're 14), and I dislike the change to Sturdy made in this gen. But the story is good, I love Cheren and Bianca as rivals, and Unova does have some of my favorite Pokemon like the Scrafty line, the Krookodile line, and the Stoutland line. Also, very fun to nuzlocke as you can really mess with things regarding Team Plasma.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Oh I would love to Nuzlocke it at some point. My team is pretty phenomenal right now, honestly. Though I must admit there are many Pokes and lines I don't care for. I also feel like there's a lot of bug and water types (get yer Net balls ready). I'm not a huge fan of the design (graphics wise that is) or music, and I think for me that's just what didn't make it feel quite the same as past gens when I first played. Although the battle music is fitting! I'm still kinda lost on the story. I get it but I also feel like I am missing something lol.