The Pokémon Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Your favorite Pokémon generation?

You may select 1 option

View results

iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

With the next remakes and new spin off coming faster than I can even think, I figured we could talk some Pokémon.

I'm super excited for the remakes. Originally I didn't want remakes of gen 4, as they're the most nostalgic for me and the last games I finished all the way through before falling out of gaming for some time (recently beat Shield, but take a minute and think of when DPP came out and realize how long ago that was...) but now I am thrilled after getting a look at it. I don't really know how much I really like it graphically, I think the characters and all look a little funky, but for me, the chibi style reminiscent of the original is what makes my little nostalgic heart happy.

As for Legends Arceus, I'm so excited for that game. I love the style so far, and having an origin story of some kind is neat. Not sure how I feel about
Spoiler:
technically being a Team Galactic member.
And don't even get me started on the crafting. Why why why is everything crafting anymore? Leave it be! Nobody wants this. I saw somebody somewhere say that we should bring back Kurt the apricorn guy instead of crafting, but I think the story takes place maybe just a little before Kurt's time...

As far as other spinoffs go, I recently heard someone say they wish there was a new Pokémon Conquest. That one was interesting, too. I really like the style of Mystery Dungeon DX, and Mystery Dungeon games are a special part of the series IMO as well. I think Ranger could have fared well on the Wii or Switch with motion control, though I could see how that could get wonky. And Pokémon Pinball (3rd gen) is one of my favorites, too. And I was just talking to someone on Twitter about the TCG game. Art Academy was awesome, too, and I wish it got more recognition. I'm planning to go back to Pokémon Channel soon, as well (sweet little game).

So anyway - let's talk about Pokémon. What is your favorite Pokémon? Favorite game? Favorite spin off? Type?
Sorry1
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I started with Gen 3, but Gen 4 will forever go down as my all time favorite generation!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

iLoveSprites75 wrote:And don't even get me started on the crafting. Why why why is everything crafting anymore? Leave it be! Nobody wants this. I saw somebody somewhere say that we should bring back Kurt the apricorn guy instead of crafting, but I think the story takes place maybe just a little before Kurt's time..
Crafting is the new skill tree. :lol: I don't know if you're old enough to remember when RPG systems started getting sucked up by everything up to and including shooters the way crafting is now...but. If it sells, they will make it.

--
Being an old lady I have a lot of nostalgia for Gen 1... but, objectively speaking Gen 1 was incredibly bare bones. I don't know how they got kids so addicted to these games back then.

Beyond blind nostalgia, Gen 3/Gen 7 are probably my favorites. Emerald in terms of the "Pokemon Formula" and...I genuinely appreciate Sun/Moon's attempt at both storytelling and subverting the formula. (After the horrendous, handholdy tutorials were finally over, at least.)

As a little kid I was...a Pokemon fanatic? So now that I've been reminded of them :lol: the spinoffs were tons of fun. I wish Gamefreak/Pokemon Company would go back to trying new things. Pinball was great, Colosseum was great, I enjoyed Rangers more than Mystery Dungeon personally, but both of those were fun too. Like even recently, if it weren't so predatory, Pokemon Unite looked like a lot of fun!

As much as I've enjoyed the series over the years I think the most fun I'll have these days is if Gamefreak tries something new and different. Legends could be good! I'm still up in the air on that one, but there's plenty of time to convince me.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I really started playing Pokemon when I was old enough to buy my own games, so I'm a Sinnoh baby with a preference for Gen 4. Still say after all these years that the Sinnoh starters are my favorite set so you can imagine I'm really excited for the remakes. Since I'm also a nuzlocker, I have a plan for my first blindish run (because you can never truly have a blind playthrough of a remake). I just hope that they focus mainly on bringing things over from Platinum because Diamond and Pearl had some very...odd decisions made. The most recent trailer eased my worries though with all the potential Pokemon you can find. And the return of Pokemon following you that's not confined to DLC, yay!

Pokemon Legends also looks pretty interesting though I'm holding off on pre-purchase for now. Hisuian Growlithe is adorable and I love some of the new evolutions they made for old Pokemon. Who would have expected Basculin to get an evo? Especially one with such a creepy Pokedex entry?

Also, am I the only one who really enjoyed the Pokemon Ranger games they had? Shadows of Almia was hilarious and really fun to play and so was Guardian Signs, though Shadows had the best story imo. I'm unsure how I would feel about them making a remake for PMD: Explorers of Sky because I feel it still holds up pretty well, but considering they did one for the Rescue Team games...Eh, we'll see how things go.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I started with Gen 1 and have played every Gens besides 5. 1-2 are very nostalgic for me as they were my first JRPGs. Brother didn't want me touching his PSOne and N64 (at the time) so he gave me his Gameboy Pocket with Blue and Silver and I was completely sucked in. Gen 3 were new when I was in elementary school (around grade 6) and my friend group passed around Ruby and Sapphire until we were all bored of it. I have a fond memory of being the first one to find Rayquaza. Gen 4 initially didn't impress me. I had two jobs in highschool and a lot of cash to throw around at hobbies, so I purchased Diamond realy to be sucked in again but I found to be slow and boring. It was Platinum that blew me away. I spent over 400 hours in that game, at first only buying it to see if the differences were really all that great. I booted it up daily to do daily events, go digging, battle frontier, shiny hunt; there was so much to do and I just adored it!

It was the Gen 2 remakes that made me fall out of love with the series. My expectations were too high after Platinum, I wanted more of it, and while it was the same graphics engine, they were remakes that lacked all the features that made Platinum so fun for me, so I thought to myself that the series had reached it's peak and I was done with Pokemon. Gen 5 is a lot of people's favorite, but I was jaded against it and thus never played it. Still haven't, kinda tried at one point but still couldn't get into them. I was then in college when X&Y were revealed and I was on board again. Y gave me another 400 hours of enjoyment and gave my love for the series back. I've gotten every entry since then.

I'd day that while Gen 4 is my favorite game wise, the anime peaked with the Sun&Moon arc and they are both my favorites when people ask. Looking forward to the remakes this fall and Legends Arceus looks like a really fun take that I plan to enjoy.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I fall into the usual "the first one I played is my favorite," and that was gen 1, ha. I do have a fondness for the simpler games, and sometimes get overwhelmed by a lot of the new systems. But I think the remake versions in particular are really good. Not sure why they hit the sweet spot for me - maybe the extra polish on games I already liked? I played a lot more of HG/SS and ORAS than some of the mainline games, including ones I really liked like X/Y. Really looking forward to the new BD/SP remakes!

I played a lot of the spinoff games, and would LOVE a new pinball game, but I am a big fan of pinball games in general. I might be intrigued by a revisit to the TCG games, as the first was weirdly addictive. I bought a patched cartridge for the 2nd one, but haven't given it a try yet. I enjoyed the first Ranger game, but admittedly, haven't played the rest. I did really like the new Snap remake, though! I was thrilled they went back to that.
♪PhantomSkye♪
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Ah, my favorite video game series. where to start?

Well my first pokemon game was Pearl. i was 8 when it came out. One of the first video games i ever owned actually!
i had over 860 hours loged in the file. i played for so long on it that i found 4 random shinys naturally ig. each over 4000 incounters from just natural playthough.(i never knew about Shiny Hunting methods back then)
i still have the copy, though i restarted the file about a year ago. so always gonna have a soft spot for gen 4.

X/Y had a cute chibi-style that i love. i liked the animation of the characters faces when mad/happy etc.
the first in the series to have character customisation, and im all for games with customisation. so when pokemo did that i was so hyped. got about 500 hours in X. beat X in a week.
At that point a was an avid Shiny Hunter and found at least 35 shinys. some method, some random.

i beat pokemon Black and White2 separately, both in 5 days.
actually been replaying them last week. i have to say they have one of the best storys in the series.

Loved that in HG/SS the pokemon walked beside you. i wish that was in Sword/Sheild, as it would have looked awsome! (like, imagine a feirce black Charizard flying beside you in HD on your TV screen )
i liked US and UM better then S/M personaly. found about 45 shinys in that one (most Ultra Wormhole methed)

Pokemon Conquest was good but i got stuck when i was close to beating the game and gave up on playing it... not a huge fan of the Mystery Dungion games but i liked Explorers of sky and the first 3ds one (i cant believe i forgot the title. I am kicking myself right now)
ive played original Blue and Silver on game boy advance. ive played Shadows of Almia for a short time but for some reason i was renting the game, so i never got to play it again after.
I really liked XD Gale of Darkness on the gamecube. at the time, i considerd the grafics amazing at the time but they are quite poor to todays standards lol.
ive pretty much played every pokemon game. except for maybe 4 of em. Pokemon is my obsession i love Shiny Hunting. i do have a bad tendency to restart my files if i cant get any shinys before 2nd gym tho..

As for fave pokemon, too many to pick a fave!. as for type i like: fire, electric and fairy best. no particular order.
there is so much more i could say, but ill leave it as that for now. lol XD
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I started with sapphire/ruby/emerald, my favorite to this day is still pokemon colusseum, legends of arceus gives me the same feel of the player being part of a team (i know in the protag's case for pokemon colusseum he was an ex-member of team) but I hope the angry pokemon are connected to the concept of shadow pokemon in legends arceus. If it doesn't I won't be sad but I'm much more looking forward to that game than the remake, though it is good that the remake for diamond and pearl is taking steps in the right direction now.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I’ve been around and played every gen since the beginning. Personally I loved all then gems up until around black and white. It’s when they started using exp share on all your Pokémon automatically that I started loosing interest. It made the game WAY too easy IMO. I was able to beat the third gym leader with just one Pokémon that was a weak matchup to that gym :roll: I never finished that game nor any since up until Ultra Sun/Moon. I didn’t like Let’s Go Eevee/Pikachu either…
Idk I just wish there was an option to turn exp share on or off. Or change it back to it only gives points to the Pokémon you had hold it :/

Anyway I still play each gen for some reason and I actually really loved sword/shield so I’m not out of the game yet.

I’m really looking forward to all the new games coming out.

For spin-offs I’d love to see Pokémon colosseum remade! I feel like that one didn’t get a lot of attention. I have a [b]Very Bad Thing™[/b] for it but to see it on a modern day console would be amazing!!
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kross lover/fan wrote:It’s when they started using exp share on all your Pokémon automatically that I started loosing interest. It made the game WAY too easy IMO. I was able to beat the third gym leader with just one Pokémon that was a weak matchup to that gym :roll: I never finished that game nor any since up until Ultra Sun/Moon. I didn’t like Let’s Go Eevee/Pikachu either…
Idk I just wish there was an option to turn exp share on or off. Or change it back to it only gives points to the Pokémon you had hold it :/
I'm a little confused by this statement. Why didn't you just turn the Exp Share off in that case? All you have to do is go into the Key Items in your bag and select the Exp Share to turn it off in the earlier games. I understand why you couldn't in Sword/Shield because that's literally built into the game, but just not using the Exp Share means that the experience wouldn't be spread out at all? Though to be fair, if you're talking about X and Y, those are very easy games based solely on gym leaders.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

^ I didn’t know it was an option in black and white back then. I think I didnt find out how to turn off exp share (all) in earlier games until much later when I’ve already moved on from the game. I don’t mind the share itself I just don’t like when it does it for all my Pokémon. I recall looking for a way to turn it off or putting it in storage on one of the games; don’t recall which one and I could never figure it out :/
I think you’re right though in that it might’ve been X&Y where I beat the gym leader too easily. Some of the games have started blurring together I’ve played so many installments now and haven’t play a few in years :shock: lol
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

*slides back in*

Forgot to mention spinoffs. I've played every Mystery Dungeon besides the region locked WiiWare titles, and Sky is and always will be the best (don't @ me lol). I loved Pokemon Snap and I was really good at Pokemon Stadium's (1&2) mini games once my brother started letting me touch the game consoles. I even played Hey You Pikachu for a long time before giving up on it. Used to have a yearly sleepover with gals from school and whoever placed first in a Pokemon Stadium mini game contest got first dibs on making their ice cream sundaes, which was a pretty big deal lmao. I won pretty often. >:3c

Pokemon Conquest came out at the height of my Samurai Warriors obsession, and it was a no brainer to own for me. Loved seeing all the characters I had fallen in love with having Pokemon and extra cool outfits. Gameplay was legit fun too. I have vague memories of playing both of the pinball games and I played the HECK out of Magikarp Jump a year or so ago. I remember trying others like Ranger and Shuffle, but they really weren't my thing.

Would've loved to play the Colosseum duology, but alas, no Gamecube growing up!
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

In my mind, I still think of “those new Pokémon”, which are the JOHTO POKEMON lolllll can you say: GERIATRIC?! My fave is ruby because that was my first game that wasn’t a hand me down from big bro. I still have my original file going (and yes to originshipping). I greatly enjoyed coliseum and gale of darkness. There were so graphically forward for their time. I also randomly wanted to play stadium yesterday too! Torchic was my first starter, and I think it’s safe to say it’s my favorite Pokémon. Blaziken is my boy, and the day I realized his name is an amalgam of “blaze chicken” I fell even more in love.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The only Pokemon game I've ever played was Shield, other than a demo of Sun/Moon. Shield was okay. The wild area was nice and the well thingies were cool. I may play Arceus due to how different the format looks...haven't decided, yet. Don't think I can include myself in with Pokemon fans. :) I think you have to enjoy that type of combat to really get into the series.

I also haven't played any spin-offs, though the Cafe one and Snap actually appeal to me a bit more than the core games.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I also haven't played any spin-offs, though the Cafe one and Snap actually appeal to me a bit more than the core games.
As someone who plays both of them, I can recommend them. Cafe is a lot like Candy Crush except with Pokemon allies so it's a relatively mindless game. They're having a huge update and overhaul soon which may be a good time to get into the game. As for Snap, the one for the Switch is an excellent feel-good game. You just ride around and take pretty pictures of Pokemon doing things and it's really charming and fun! It's also incredibly beautiful to look at, which makes sense considering it's such a visual game. Highly recommended for people who like the look of Pokemon, but maybe aren't so into the battling mechanics.