Staxel on Switch

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I had been on the fence about getting Staxel because Minecraft and I didn't jive well, but I went ahead and got it today. I can tell already I like it far better than Minecraft but I am really confused about many of the game's aspects. I haven't been able to find much in the way of answers other than stuff for the PC version which looks to be set up different. (Pretty sure this was better designed for mouse clicking.) If anyone else is having questions or has actually figured this stuff out, please feel free to hop in here! (Seriously, please! I could use a hand, lol.)

My primary beef is with the camera. It is stuck in first person. How do you get it in third person?! I have seen videos where you can actually see your character (PC version) and seen comments about people saying they are so glad they can change it to third person, how it makes things easier, but how? They say there is something in the options, but I cannot find for the life of me anything in the options that looks even related to the camera controls.

Having decided to put up with the annoying first person for now, I tried to carry on into the beginnings of the game. I have gotten to the assignment to build a barn, but it is really hard to tell where and how to set blocks to make the wall, especially in first person! I keep having to switch back to my hammer to fix blocks in the wrong spot. I have no idea how to make a roof, but I haven't figured out how to rotate pieces yet.

Crafting in the builder gal's shop was tricky for me at first as you have to be able to pick the bench and not pick up your items again. I also accidentally made a couple of crates when I was trying to make troughs.

I think it could potentially be a very fun game if I could get a handle on it, exponentially so if I could actually see my character.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't think third person view is an option on Switch. (Not all PC options are available on Switch, I don't think...they left some out to increase performance.) As far as I can tell, there's only first person. Though why they bothered letting us design our characters when we can never SEE them...
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

You're probably right about it being stuck in first person on the Switch. In the graphics options I did figure out how to get the camera to move back a little bit at least, so that helps some. I also found out that if you want to rotate an item, if you hold ZL you can press L or R to rotate. Holding ZL can also help you to see where you are actually placing something ahead of time. Potential game changer there. Knowing that, I can try to fix my barn to look more like an actual building and then see about tackling Farm Fan's request for a house, lol.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Poor Farm Fan. They didn't even give her a name, just a description or title. Guess I'll have to imagine her name IS 'Fan', like Fan la Norne from XC2.

I haven't gone back into Staxel yet, as I have a big list of farming and building/outdoorsy games to get to between now and April, but I will, sooner or later. I'd love if they could manage third-person view for this, as I've never liked first-person view for *anything* (though I guess it's best for shooters...but I don't play shooters so I don't know.)

I like the little green dude at the General Store. Leif. (Why is no one creative? Why does a plant-related guy always have to be named LEIF? Which is actually supposed to be pronounced 'layf' or 'life', not 'leef' but rarely is, at least in Can/US. Bothers me because I think 'layf' is a gorgeous name but 'leef' is pitiful.) I know nothing about him, but he's green and has pointy ears and looks like an elven sprout, so...I figure I've already chosen my guy.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I think I have finally got a handle on the building now, though roofs are still a little tough. Storage can be an issue too if you want to hoard, so I had to buy/ make more shelves. Farm Fan's house was kind of a hodge-podge thing, but Emilia's bakery is coming along great with the pink theme. I will try for a dignified look for the museum I think.

I just accidentally discovered a mine when looking for where my cow disappeared to. She was in the mine just chilling! I apparently have a lot more to discover.

I think I am probably going to aim for Vorlen as my roomie as he is too adorable!
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I know this is a double post, but it's been over a week since my last comment, and I feel have played enough now to give a pretty good synopsis of the game now.

1. It takes a while to get used to the first person camera and controls on the Switch, but after I got a handle on it, gameplay was much more enjoyable. I honestly think it's probably better set up for playing on the computer, for both camera and controls, but I haven't played it on PC to know for sure.

2. Most of the negative reviews are people disappointed the game is not Stardew Valley, disparaging its lack of combat, and simple social and farming aspects. Well yeah, it's not a farm sim folks: it's a sandbox/building game! Personally, viewing it as a builder, I think the social stuff, farming, and quests spice it up a bit. I would describe it more as something like a mashup of a sandbox/crafting game with maybe Animal Crossing?

3. All of the other activities in the game are a nice touch, but really work well toward funding your building projects. It took a while, but I am extremely pleased with how my museum turned out. It took a LOT of materials to make it as big as I did to try to accommodate all the fossils. I'm still toying with the idea of adding an upper floor. As we've all seen with AC:NH and DQB2, I am sure there are folks out there who would have a hay day with the loose building guidelines. It really is very much a do whatever you want type of game.

In spite of hating it being stuck in first person, I have really enjoyed Staxel. However, after getting through Vorlen's route, he's a definite nope for me, lol. Maybe I will try to see through to the end of all the characters' paths before I decide on a roomie.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Just FYI, 3rd person view for Switch is being worked on by the devs but not sure when it will come out. The devs said that on their Twitter.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Lol, I just happened to to see that on Twitter last night too, crazy! I am so glad it is coming because 3rd person would be brilliant! It would bring it up from a pretty good game to a great one.

I did decide to put a second floor on the museum, but it's slow going. I just finished a couple of custom houses for characters that come a little bit later and now I am thinking about redoing Farm Fan's house. I am also considering redesigning the farm house and expanding it as it's getting a little cramped with all my hoarding.
Last edited by greensara on Oct 10, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll probably wait a while before playing more Staxel. If they finish a third-person view before I get back to it, all the better. I have a load of town-builder/farming type games to play and replay now, and if we get lucky and the ACNH update is significant, that may be back on my plate, too.

I would still jump for joy at a DQB3 announcement mind you. I probably unfairly compare Staxel to that series, which I can't help, but it'd be better if I didn't. I did know before I bought it that it was highly pixellated, so I can't be upset about that, even if I do keep thinking how good the DQB characters look in comparison.