Animal Crossing Direct: October 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

999,999,999 is the maximum you can have in your bank.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote:Went back to the first portion of the direct and I THINK there are new types of weeds. The player character climbs up a stretch of vines and picks up what's definitely a new type of plant...

As for the HPP + NSO deal. I have some interest in the N64 games in the expansion, personally. :lol: N64 was my childhood. And I let my regular NSO subscription expire, so if you get to keep HPP after a year of expanded NSO it would be worth the cost. They would get more people to upgrade if it includes HPP to keep. But if you lose out on some features after a year...not so much.

I forgot about that, Ronin! Saw in the comments somebody mentioning there were characters never seen outside Japan to be added? Pretty awesome! :)
They showed the series 5 cards at the end of the direct. They include the two new NPCs (Lottie's helpers) and 16 villagers (8 new and 8 that have either been in the OG Animal Crossing or were added to in Japan's latest version on the GameCube)

Here are the villagers!
Spoiler:
From Sasha to Quinn, those are new villagers. From Chabwick to Faith, those are OG villagers who haven't appeared since the GameCube days
I love Shino, Cephalobot, Quinn, Ace, Rio, Azalea, Roswell, and Faith.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Thanks for that, Kikki! Shame. Kind of figured, but I'm glad Nintendo was forced to be transparent about it BEFOREHAND so that people don't cry foul in a year. I would have. :D

At this point, I dunno if it's worth it. If I could get a group of people together for a 'family plan' it would be great, but you need enough people to justify that cost too. May as well just wait a year or two until they've added as many games as they're going to.
Ronin19 wrote:They showed the series 5 cards at the end of the direct. They include the two new NPCs (Lottie's helpers) and 16 villagers (8 new and 8 that have either been in the OG Animal Crossing or were added to in Japan's latest version on the GameCube)

Here are the villagers!
Spoiler:
From Sasha to Quinn, those are new villagers. From Chabwick to Faith, those are OG villagers who haven't appeared since the GameCube days
I love Shino, Cephalobot, Quinn, Ace, Rio, Azalea, Roswell, and Faith.
Oh wow, that's a lot of new villagers. :o Maybe Pocket Camp helped them realize how much people enjoy OG villagers? I can't remember most of them honestly, but I know I had Faith in my Pocket Camp campsite quite a bit...
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Here's a showing of every card in the Series 5 set (including special NPCs). It's in Japanese but it has pictures of each one. (401-448)

Now I really want to see their house exterior and interiors, and their taste in clothes. I can't choose villagers without that data, lol.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Not thrilled. Cooking is dumb, tired of cooking and crafting mechanics in game. The gyroid fragments are dumb. Paid DLC, really? And what happened to "years" of free updates and this is the last major one? Plus $80 for a family membership. Not real happy with Nintendo right now. Everything else looks good. I'm a huge Happy Home Designer fan, so that's cool, and at least I'll be able to get it for free with the expansion pass which I'll unfortunately be buying anyway :roll:

Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:Here's a showing of every card in the Series 5 set (including special NPCs). It's in Japanese but it has pictures of each one. (401-448)

Now I really want to see their house exterior and interiors, and their taste in clothes. I can't choose villagers without that data, lol.
So compared to previous card packs, there are 24 NPC cards out of 48. the other 24 cards are the new villagers introduced in New Horizons. And each pack only has one special NPC, making the new villager cards easily obtainable.

The downside is scalpers might figure this out (or not) and buy them all since everyone wants a Raymond card and Shino's popularity is becoming apparent.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I guess 2020 an 2021 count as 'years'. I wonder if they intend to continue with the paid DLC since they're done with free, now.

I also think having to grow gyroids is really, really weird, and pointless. We dig them up, then just plant them again and water them to come back the next day to dig them up a second time? Why? I don't get it. We just dug them up directly in New Leaf; I don't understand the reasoning behind this extra step. I suppose there could be a reason we don't know yet, but I can't currently imagine it.

I don't care about cooking at all...can't see any reason why I'd want to do it, tbh, unless I was doing a major town remodel and wanted food that would give me a lot of 'apples' at once to dig trees up with. I like the new crops anyway though, just for new landscaping options along with the new weeds (?) and the vines and at least one more bush option (at one point I also saw pyramidal shrubs, but...not sure if they were just decorations or what...need to see if I can see more than the tops of them next time I look at the video.)

But I still think it's a better update than I was expecting. My list of things I'm happy about is kinda huge, after all :) I don't know how long this content will keep me interested, but I think I'll end up juggling Windfall about to try to give each person a larger yard to customize with new fence options, now, which will probably take a lot of time (and bells, of course.)

I wonder if villagers can climb the ladders and vines, or if only we can (kind of like how only we can hop from tufts of land in water.)
Last edited by Kikki on Oct 15, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Oh my goodness! I must have said that about a couple dozen times just watching the free update part. Gyroids!!! You can dig them, grow, them, and customize them?! Yay!! Honestly, with the exception of a few qol things others have previously mentioned are still missing, I was extremely happy with everything that was mentioned as coming in the direct. Especially the gyroids. :) I haven't been this excited about the game since it was first coming out. It's like everything I've been missing and was hoping for in the beginning all got dumped on me at once! Blown out of the water folks!

HHD was so much fun, so the dlc is beyond icing on the cake for me. I am just going to get it outright though as $50 a year for the new "expanded" online subscription is too much for too little in my opinion. I honestly mostly just use the online for Pokemon stuff and the like, so even though I might like a couple of the 64 games, it's not worth it to me.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh yes, if anyone cares what the CAD price is for the NSO + expansion (that includes the HHP DLC), I only saw yearly prices, and it's $64 for a single person for a year, or $99 for a family for a year. I'm not sure yet what the Happy Home Paradise DLC price will be in CAD if you buy it directly, though...haven't yet come across that.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh...just noticed that the DLC is already up on the eshop. I looked for it yesterday and couldn't find it, but...maybe it was already there then, too? Anyway, this means that I do know the price in CAD after all...it's $33. (Actually I looked again and when searching on my laptop, the DLC isn't in the shop yet at all...it's only available to look at on the official AC site. But if I look on my actual Switch, it's there and can be wishlisted. Kind of confusing, but this has happened before with Garden Paws and some other things. However, this means I can't link the screenshot I want to show!)

Also noticed that one of the screenshots they use for the DLC package on the Switch eshop is the plants I meant...a load of them in a nighttime screenshot. They look like what I can only think to call clumps of phosphorescent moss with ferns and weedy tulips growing out of them. That's not the only interesting thing in the picture, either...there are some big greenish rocks on the ground in it, too, along with pillars and ruined pillars and dilapidated stone brick archways...and I think I see a huge vine growing out of the gorund, too, which looks like a placement, plus a strange ball or shrub hiding behind one of the pillars. That screenshot is full of interesting stuff; wish I could get a link to it somehow to show it, but the eshop doesn't let you take screencaps and it's not on my laptop so I cant get it that way, either. If you look at the HHP video, it's at 8:49.

Oh well, at least I know what the price will be for me, now.

Btw, if anyone watches the direct again, please take a look around 20:35 (if you're looking at the HHP-exclusive video rather than the full Direct, it's at 8:10, but you're on your home island, not the HHP island) when they're talking about giving chocolates/souvenirs to your own island residents to entice them to ask you to design them a vacation home in HHP. THOSE ARE NEW SHRUBS. I don't mean the normal round ones either that just have a different flower (I think those ones were frangipani/plumeria.) They're pyramidal and look a bit like blue spruce! I can't tell if they're furniture/placements, or if they are growing plants, but I love them. I'm hoping they're new plants you can find on the Kapp'n island tours or whatever they're called. But even if they're just furniture, I still love them.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ty for the info on the DLC being seperate. I saw it in the eShop last night just before I fell asleep.

I actually redownloaded the game and did my island 'chores' yesterday; picking up the weeds, gathering fruit/flowers/pumpkins, and talking to my villagers. I stopped playing the game around this time last year and two of my villagers remarked on how I've been gone for a year lol. Since I never did the Halloween event, Thanksgiving event, and Christmas event, I may as well this year since the update is on its way.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Kikki: one of the best ways for making big bells is to save all the wasps til Flick visits and sell them to him. It's a fast way of getting 80,000+ bells.

I'm impressed with the Direct, a lot to digest. I will probably buy the $50 plan and try it for a year. I want the N64 games. My only game systems are Nintendo. There are no major games I'm interested in til next year. The long, dark winter is coming. Ok, enough justification.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You might have a look at Grow: Song of the Evertree, coming out on November 16th, K8sMum...that might have some appeal to you, of games still coming out within the year. Might even add to the light in the dark. (I've been hoarding bright, fun, outdoorsy games, almost all on Switch, like a dragon hoards gold, so if you need some suggestions to carry you through, I'm full of 'em.)

My issue with making money is that I don't enjoy fish or bug catching any more. Once I had caught everything and donated it all to the museum (deep sea, too) I just...never wanted to do it again, as I don't find it a fun activity, but I did like the process of getting each one once. Though I'll have to do it. Guess I should go hunting for Tarantula Island...or at least Bamboo Island, which isn't rare and can be turned into a high-effort, slower-yield Tarantula Island. I don't want to use up too many Nook Miles in advance since we're going to have a bunch of new stuff to redeem with them, but I think I already have 10-12 NMTs in my storage. I could at least use them up.

Really eager for some clarification on those pyramidal shrubs and the giant rock/boulders added to the landscape in those screenshots. I need those shrubs, whether they're some kind of DIY or furniture placement, or an actual plant (though I'm curious to know which is true.) I also love the furniture I saw in HHP; hopefully, like with New Leaf + HHD, we get a whole new catalogue of furniture brought over to the main game, of the stuff that's in HHP.

I may go over to my other Island, Gardenia, and use it more for this new stuff than Windfall, as I have ample room for expansions and really haven't decorated much of anything...it's still only 3-stars. Haven't decided; I don't like handheld much and I can't play Gardenia docked, as it's the island I have on my Lite.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh! I can give you more NMTs if you rather have that than bells. I get my NMTs from the bell tree forum so they’re easy to earn.

If you want I can leave stuff out for you and you can fill your pockets

What got me was Harv’s island. A shopping island? Yes please!!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks Shan! If I'm going to greedily grab up handouts, I'd want Bells more than NMTs...but I should probably not be lazy (if not wanting put in extra play time to do in-game chores counts as lazy? I'm not sure, lol) and at least attempt to use up the NMTs I already have on islands and make some money that way. I really appreciate the offer; if we're on at the same time some day, it'd be great if I could snatch some stuff so long as you can easily spare it. :) (My schedule keeps shifting lately so I'm never sure when I'll actually be gaming, even now that my time is back to being fairly freed-up. My family seems to be in a period of constant change.) I haven't seen how much it's going to cost us to bring these folks in...was it spotted in the Direct? And does Tortimer just bring his personal trailer there to hang out, or does he appear to offer some kind of service?

I think there are a few surprises waiting for us. They clearly didn't give us a good look at quite a few things, like those rocks and shrubs I was wondering about, and each of the shops (trailers) that can be placed on Harv's island. I kind of wonder what them being there will mean. Will they just have the same shop they open as a guest on our own islands? Or will they carry different stock over at Harv's? Will they be there permanently in their designated spot or will the trailers rotate?

I do like having things to anticipate, so I don't mind having a few weeks to wait to find out.