Animal Crossing Direct: October 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I already made a tiny treasure island at my airport for you. I know you like to play early so if you’re available tomorrow morning around 10am I’ll be up. Sundays are my best morning meet up days.

No I don’t think it’s lazy.

I believe he’s the key to your storage while on Harv’s island. And the npcs should be permanent. They’d be there 24/7.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm pretty sure we're both in Eastern, so okay; 10AM it is...I'll drop by then, thanks :) Since you have so much stuff you've maxed your Bells out there's probably nothing I have that you don't, but...is there anything you want? I have a few star fragments and things like rainbow feathers and other limited-time crafting materials.

Ah, I didn't notice that. You can buy stuff and stick it straight into storage via Tortimer, so you can shop til you drop? Or maybe so that you can customize unlimited things out of storage via Cyrus and Reese. That was a cool feature to add. I asked for more items to be customizable at one point, but I never really expect most of the wishes I drop to come true. Honestly, I hadn't thought of the NM redeemables becoming customizable at all, so that's neat, particularly since we can't get those except by trading, even once we've catalogued the other versions. This is way more handy.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah I really don’t need anything. Like I said I do most of my trading on the bell tree forum so I’m good.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks Shan, I'll be over this morning then at 10, with empty pockets.

~

Btw, the new (well, old-brought-back) ordinances. Beautiful town did a few things, right? No more garbage, no more weeds, no more cockroaches or wharf roaches (or ants?) and...no need to water flowers because they'd never wilt? That made it indispensible in New Leaf since watering flowers was a chore that could take HOURS.

I really hope they won't change New Horizons so that flowers now wilt. I have way too many flowers for that! But otherwise it's a kind of useless ordinance. In NH, we need weeds and even all the various trash as crafting materials, so getting rid of them isn't an incentive. So what's the incentive going to be?

~

Just thinking about if I can really integrate much new content into my original island...
Spoiler:
Went over my island a few times and made note of areas I rarely or even never go because of the way it's designed. If I minimize/eliminate all of those, I think I'll have quite a bit of space to move things around and increase villager yard sizes and so on. It'd be a HUGE job, and very expensive, but hey, with all this new content, I might as well creep slooooooowly into it and let ACNH be a mental-health-bolstering winter-protection game along with my other stuff. I've always been the type to charge in like a bull, full-force, and get a whole huge task done as fast as possible. But fully completing one little area at a time until it's perfect before moving on to another space is probably the better way to go.

I guess I'm talking myself into a partial overhaul of Windfall. Even though it'd be much easier if I just did this with Gardenia instead (plus I have an entire crew of interestingly eccentric villagers over there that are very easy to give theme yards to, like Lucky, Ankha, Coco, Ribbot, etc.) It'd be best over there, but I can't get as attached to it because I can't ever dock it and see Gardenia on a big screen.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Zach from SwitchForce went over every new item yesterday. https://youtu.be/uUXpcunjk1U
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Animal Crossing now a farming game?
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Terranigma Freak wrote:Animal Crossing now a farming game?
They’re adding more crops and cooking so maybe?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It doesn't feel like a farming game to me. It does have at least half a dozen crops now, but it doesn't satisfy the farming sim itch even slightly, for me, so I can't count it. Not for myself. The crops are kinda useless. Cooking to me is pointless...just a way to get around having to eat one piece of fruit at a time (though you already could do that if you wanted, with stacks of turnips.)

But everyone plays it differently. Maybe someone who goes big into it will think it feels like a farming game now. I have no idea yet what you can sell cooked items for. Maybe they'll be worth loads of money. If they ARE, that would make this feel a bit more like a farming sim, then, as there's something important to do with the crops if they'll make you buckets of moolah.

I'd enjoy it if crops turned out to be a great way to make money. I'd probably turn to that for money making from then on, if that were the case, since I don't enjoy fishing or bug-catching for money since they're too dependent on random luck.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I used to have a large pumpkin farm, it made a fair amount of money.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I had a large one, too, but one pumpkin (350) sells for less than one piece of non-native fruit (500) so it wasn't even as a good a money-maker as my orchard (though it does take quite a bit less space for the same yield.) I'd need it to be a good step above fruit before I'd consider it a major source of income. Generally crafting makes things worth double...maybe crafting the crops into foods will make them worth double what they were before cooking. Like...if 1 wheat and 1 pumpkin sell for 700 as raw items, perhaps they'd sell for 1400 as a pie. I'm just guessing, though.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Unless things have changed much, I believe that a gold or blue rose field that you craft into wreaths every three days is a better consistent low level money maker than most everything else you can grow, since they don't need the spacing of trees, don't need other items to become a craft (crafting items makes them sell for double the price of the ingredients with rare exceptions), and flowers regrow faster than pumpkins. Unfortunately that also means you have to have gotten your hands on the DIY cards for those items, I'm still missing four Wreath/Crown cards after all this time.

Let me just say I have been squealing about the Direct since I watched it. I love Happy Home Designer, Lottie is my favorite shop/facility running NPC (and yes I have a favorite Festivale - not a misspelling - NPC, and a favorite villager, lol ...).

I can definitely see where more improvements are needed and perhaps some half-steps they have taken are due to system or programming limitations... like making a box outside for storage instead of letting you craft things from storage, or increasing the storage size instead of increasing stack size of each item. I'm glad they are not ruling out smaller updates, content patches, and bug fixes, but yeah. I think they have done as much as they can on a large scale for New Horizons with this update. They are shoving a second Animal Crossing game in the first one, somehow, and that's basically everything I ever wanted.

I maintain two islands at the moment and I don't think I want to upgrade my membership plan because I want to own HHP for as long as I reasonably can, so that's going to set me back a good 60$ USD with tax. I also really hope Nintendo learned how to print and distribute an overwhelming amount of amiibo cards. For a while there the local Target was getting restocks of 1-4 and the Sanrio cards so I managed to pick some up, but they haven't reprinted Camper Cards (I am bitter about this because I'm missing the most cards from that series) still and Series 5 is going to be scalped like there's no tomorrow.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have those crown DIYs. And speaking of gold roses I’m trying to Breed them on my second island. I probably should ask for help lol
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:but they haven't reprinted Camper Cards (I am bitter about this because I'm missing the most cards from that series) still and Series 5 is going to be scalped like there's no tomorrow.
^^^^^^^^^^ THISSSS.

Plus I am also having trash luck finding packs.

Kikki wrote:So what's the incentive going to be?

I'm wondering this too. My flowers already reproduce like rabbits (except for the last few hybrids I need, go figure), so there's no point for me.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For those with the family online service or planning to upgrade your membership. https://youtu.be/cp8n2H6MTYs
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Walmart.com has started selling Series 5 pre-orders. Of course, that's US...the Canadian site doesn't appear to have them. But I bought 1 pack (limited by household!) of Series 5 cards from bestbuy.ca. Well, I was only going to buy up to three packs anyway; I don't really like supporting trading cards. But if you're angling to get as many as you can, then apparently they're already cropping up...keep an eye out.