I have questions about Steam

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Briarwyn
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I know a bit about Steam, it's an online gaming site on the internet. correct?

Is it worth it to register as a member? Are there monthly fees for anything? And are any of those games designed to use the mouse to control your character's movement?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

There are no fees. (Unless you want to buy a game, of course...they're not free, so each individual game has a price.) Almost all games are programmed to use the mouse, but many also have controller support, if you plug a controller into your PC.

Games can be refunded if you buy one and don't like it after trying it, but the window is small. Steam logs your play time. I think the cut-off is three hours. If you've played more than the cut-off time on a game, you can no longer receive a refund if you decide you don't like it.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Also steam isn’t a website that hosts games to play online and to play anything you purchase through steam you’ll need to download a program onto your computer (the steam client) to manage the games. The Steam website itself is just a storefront like sort of like Amazon etc but it’s purpose is pretty much just for purchasing games digitally if that makes.
Briarwyn
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

If fans and players wait long enough, how likely would it be for Steam-hosted video games to be remade for, and released on the Nintendo Switch?

(World's Dawn, Wild Season)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Steam doesn't host games. As the fishie above mentioned...Steam is not a streaming site. Developers make games, and they get Steam to list in their online store to sell to people, and the developer pays a percentage of all their sales to Steam. Steam then sells you the game and you download it from them to your own PC...they don't host it for you to play from their servers.

Every game is completely individual. None of them are made by Steam. Each game is made by a different developer. That means the chance of each game coming to Switch is entirely different, dependent not on Steam, but on that game's dev. Larger development companies are more likely to try to launch on more than one platform. Like Grow: Song of the Evertree, coming up on November 16. It's launching on Steam and Switch, PS4 and Xbone, all on the same day, because the devs (505games, who also made Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles) planned it that way...they had the resources and the know-how to be able to do that. Some games are planned to release to console from the beginning, but have an early access phase on Steam first, which often takes a year or two, though a few games have a much shorter EA period.

Some games, especially games made by single people, never come to console. The person who made the game doesn't have the experience or the resources or the desire, so it remains a game you can play only on PC. There's no way to predict which game will come to console, or how fast. You can only follow the developer of that game for news, to see if they have plans for a console release. For example, Sun Haven. That dev has expressed the intention all along to release to Switch, sooner or later. Last I saw, they said it'd be about 3 updates after releasing on Steam, or something like that, which put it around half a year that they thought they might be able to get that done. I don't really remember the finer details on it any more, but it's intended for Switch.

Of course, what they plan almost always ends up taking them longer than they think, both for reasons within their control and reasons outside of it (like how long it takes Nintendo to approve their game for upload to the eshop.)

Basically, it's not possible to answer your question. Every game has a different chance of coming to Switch and you have to look into it specifically. Some have NO chance, others are already on the verge of releasing. Etc. I don't think the World's Dawn dev (Wayward Prophet, AKA David Grund) has any intention of releasing to Switch...their game already came out five years ago, afaik. I believe they've already released another game to Steam and may be working on entirely new stuff for years, now. I'd say the chance of it coming to switch is very low.

Wild Season also has very little chance of releasing on console, I'd say, as it has mostly negative reviews and even on Steam, seems to be abandoned. The last time the developer (Quickfire Games) paid any attention to it was in 2016.

If you want to check any game's likelihood of coming to Switch in the future, all I did to find this out was use Google. Go to Steam and check the game's community page first, to see what people are discussing (often requests for console release will crop up in there and sometimes the devs reply to them). Then Google the game's name, and/or the developer's name, to see what news pops up. Like their social media site or a website for the game.