Are these games worth playing on the switch?

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Briarwyn
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Gleaner Heights, Kynseed, Littlewood, The Stillness of The Wind, Sun Haven, Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles, Cozy Cove, My Summer in Mara, and Stranded Sails.

Are any of these games worthwhile to buy from the e-shop and play?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kynseed does not exist on Nintendo Switch; it is only on Steam, as it is still in early access, not yet to full release...the game isn't complete, yet. Sun Haven is in the same situation; it isn't complete yet and there are four big content updates to be created before it will be done, as currently planned. That usually ends up taking devs longer than they thought, though. Personally, I plan to get both; technically I already own Kynseed on Steam (as a 'piggy-backer') but I can't play on Steam...it overheats my laptop...so I haven't played it. Will when I have a Steam Deck. And Sun Haven I'll wait for, for Switch...it has a chance of being out before I get the Deck, so...we'll see. The colours are too gorgeous to resist.

I have played Littlewood, Summer in Mara, Yonder, and Cozy Grove. I've heard of all the others. Stranded Sails is widely considered to be pretty bad, on Switch...though there isn't enough feedback yet on how it is liked on Switch after the most recent update, which may bring it up to the more positive (but not glowing) reception on Steam.

I personally HAAAAAAAAAAATED Cozy Grove. I was okay with it for the first day or two (it's real-time based so you can only do so much each day before the things to do run out and you have to wait for the next real-life day to do anything more, which is something I dislike to begin with, so...a point against it, for me, but not for everyone) but I hated it so much by the time I deleted it that I don't even want to talk about it, lol. However, it has gotten a bunch of updates and it sounds like it'd be less irritating even for me, now, and honestly I'd say it's not my type of game anyway...it's kind of a favour-doing, socializing game. I found it a bit boring and the requirements for things too tedious, but...I might have been able to play it for longer if I'd gotten it now rather than months ago. Overall I believe it's pretty well-regarded.

I didn't like Summer in Mara much, either...it also had too much tedium. But again, it's not my thing, I think...there isn't enough of a story and most of the characters aren't interesting at all, imo...I only really liked ONE character in the whole game. But again, it was quite well-received...most people like it a lot more than I did.

Littlewood was pretty fun. It has an addictive gameplay loop, imo, though the characters aren't interesting and the graphics are blobby little pixel things. But I completed the game, so obviously the gameplay was good enough to carry me beyond the (to me) unappealing visuals.

Yonder is beautiful, with a premise I like a lot, but turned out to be empty and boring, imo, and a bit difficult to find your way around in. Bluie loved it...she could probably give some feedback on the good side of it. Opinions on it are pretty split, I think.

I'm very fussy about my life sim games, as you can see. I need compelling characters or story, or absolutely stellar gameplay, to really like them.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I did some digging and found my impressions of Stranded Sails in last year's backlog thread. Mind you, this was right after some bug fixes made the game playable and before the recent additional content update.
Since a patch fixing the invisible wall glitch was released a day or two ago, I picked Stranded Sails back up and finished it today. My impression:
Spoiler:
If I were to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 I would probably say about 5.5 stars, and that's with it being fixed. I enjoyed the premise of crafting and farming to survive on an island, as well as exploring and uncovering the islands' mystery, but it was pretty bare-bones. Aside from the controls likely being set up for playing on a computer (easier with a mouse likely) my main grievance with the game is that the NPCs do nothing! Your character does everything so I don't even know why the other characters are in the game. It could have worked just as well with one isolated main character or maybe keeping the injured father in too. The gameplay wasn't terrible outside of the glitches and being able to get stuck out of bounds in a couple of places. I am sure if they did more with the NPCs and added more story content it would certainly have some improvement. I'm glad I got it as my "free" game in the BOGO sale to satisfy my curiosity, but if anyone else is interested, I recommend waiting for a steep sale or for them to add a significant amount of additional content.