8th Annual Your Favorite/Least-Fav Games of 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Did you have a good gaming year?

You may select 1 option

View results

Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I beat about ten games (with four of them being trails games if that says anything about how much I liked them) but I played over halfway through or even almost to the end of several more. I'll probably be finishing up most of those and some other games I bought this year (along with Pokemon of course, since I always finish those within a week of release.)

I have legends arceus and rune factory 5 preordered, and I'll pre-order trails later down the line and digimon survive if that comes out...I also want to get Monark when that comes out but I'm not preordering it because I don't have the money. Will pick up brilliant diamond if it goes on sale for a good price too but I'm not hopeful that'll happen. (I'd pick up either version of they go cheap enough mind you.)
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

How many games did you finish this year? (doesn't have to be an exact amount, estimate!) Yikes I really only finished like 2 lol...

Favorite game/s that you played in 2021 (doesn't have to have necessarily came out this year) Unpacking, for sure. I hyped myself up for it!

Least favorite or game/s that let you down that you played in 2021: Bioshock: Infinite... Do not get me wrong at all! Loved everything about the game! I would just say least favorite because of all the feels I felt going through the ending...

Game/s that surprised you the most: Unpacking, with how much of a story there actually was, and with all of the little things.

What consoles did you purchase in 2021 (if any)? I actually don't think we brought any new consoles into our home this year.

What games (if any) are you looking forward to in 2022? Kirby and the Forgotten Land & Legends Arceus.

Games that you wanted but weren't able to purchase? I don't know that there were any that I didn't purchase. Might be forgetting a few, but they must not be that badly wanted lol

Games that you wanted to play (that you own or borrowed) but just weren't able to get around to playing: My entire « Snuggly Bunny » backlog oof - I'd say mainly the Diablo II remake

Favorite gaming song/s and/or OST? Probably Unpacking lol

Which genre did you play the most of? Still Animal Crossing New Horizons...

Did you replay any older games this year? If so which ones? Just the games with the replay value such as Animal Crossing or The Sims or other such games with no ending (this is why my backlog doesn't get done.........)

Favorite characters of the year? Didn't finish Okami but started it. Amaterasu for sure is a winner!

Favorite gaming announcements/news of the year? Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Disappointing gaming announcements/news of the year? That crafting will be in Legends Arceus. I'm so sick of crafting.

Anything other thoughts? I gotta get my « Harvest Goddess » damn backlog done « Mayor Thomas »

Personal or general gaming predictions for 2022? I really think that Kirby is gonna be a smash hit. They've gotta hype the hell out of it once Legends drops. It's gotten nothing new and follows it pretty closely iirc.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

How many games did you finish this year? (doesn't have to be an exact amount, estimate!)
I sort of changed how I evaluate completion in games this year (counting story separate from achievements, for example), but I finished around 11 games to some degree, which I've listed under the cut.
Spoiler:
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 5 Strikers
  • Persona 3 Dancing
  • Parkasaurus
  • Milkmaid of the Milky Way
  • Hades
  • Mini Metro
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
  • AA: Justice for All
  • Takeshi and Hiroshi
Favorite game/s that you played in 2021 (doesn't have to have necessarily came out this year)
Tough question! If I had to pick one overall I'd have to say Hades, which has just blown me away in terms of presentation and everything really. Honourable mentions to Persona 3 Portable (which I couldn't not like), Persona 5 Strikers, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, and Ace Attorney: Justice For All for all having stories that I really got into and fun gameplay.

Least favorite or game/s that let you down that you played in 2021:
Nothing I outright disliked, but I played through Milkmaid of the Milky Way and was pretty neutral on it. The rhyming and graphics were charming and I appreciate it for what it is but the story didn't grab me too much.

Game/s that surprised you the most:
I'm going to have to say Ace Attorney: Justice For All, not because the game itself was surprising but the story had me on the edge of my seat for the entire last case. Honourable mention to Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth for the fun gameplay and surprisingly engaging story.

What consoles did you purchase in 2021 (if any)?
I think this is the first year in a while that I haven't bought a new console. Rip to my PS2 which died though, I hope to replace that in the future.

What games (if any) are you looking forward to in 2022?
Pokémon Legends Arceus, Rune Factory 5, the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax port, and Project Triangle Strategy are what come to mind off the top of my head.

Games that you wanted but weren't able to purchase?
I held off on a few games because I hadn't beaten previous games in the series, namely the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, NEO: The World Ends With You, and Monster Hunter Stories 2. I also want to pick up the Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Monster Rancher remakes at some point.

Games that you wanted to play (that you own or borrowed) but just weren't able to get around to playing
There's a lot I could list here, but some of the big ones are Rune Factory 4S, Octopath Traveller, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, SMT III Nocturne, Persona Q/Q2, Monster Hunter Stories, and The World Ends With You.

Favorite gaming song/s and/or OST?
I gotta give this to Persona 3 Portable, nothing beats a main series Persona OST for me. Special mention to Living With Determination for being one of my favourites. Second place goes to Hades I think, I'm especially a fan of the way the music is integrated into the game and how it fits together so seamlessly.

Which genre did you play the most of?
Probably RPGs, with puzzle games coming in second since I played a lot of those towards the end of the year.

Did you replay any older games this year? If so which ones?
Yes, I actually started a replay of Super Monkey Ball 2 this year! I've never beaten the main story before so I'm working on that (just slowly because it's hard lol).

Favorite characters of the year?
In no particular order, Akihiko from Persona 3 Portable, Thanatos from Hades, and Arata from Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

Favorite gaming announcements/news of the year?
Definitely the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remake announcements, Platinum was one of my favourite games as a kid and it's been really fun revisiting that. I only started it right at the end of the year so it hasn't featured on my lists much but I expect it'll make an appearance next year. Also just remembered that s/s marriage will be in RF5, that was a big one!

Disappointing gaming announcements/news of the year?
This hasn't impacted any of the games I like personally, but seeing the whole trend around NFTs in gaming has been sort of depressing from an environmental standpoint.

Personal or general gaming predictions for 2022?
I hope to play more games in general. I've been working on starting more games instead of obsessing about finishing the ones I've already started and changing the way I track completion with games has helped with that.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Actually I'm proud of myself because I realized I actually finished like 5 games! I finished Unpacking, Bioshock Infinite, and the story of HM: Light of Hope, New Pokémon Snap, and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond.

I almost finished Pokémon Black but I just had to take a break from it. It's definitely my least favorite in the series. Anyway, I know I definitely have more play time available in the last 3 games I listed, but I definitely wanna take on more of my backlog first. I finally jumped back into Okami yesterday, so here's hoping.
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Never done one of these but figured it might be fun haha
Spoiler:
How many games did you finish this year? (doesn't have to be an exact amount, estimate!)

I finished about 2 which is more than I usually complete in a year

Favorite game/s that you played in 2021 (doesn't have to have necessarily came out this year)

Fenyx Rising, Monster hunter stories 2, that game was like the original but better, Sun haven was an impulse buy but it was also pretty fun, it's still in development but I got to play it some. Shin megami Tensei V is also a really fun game, doesn't take the cake because the animation feels janky enough to be distracting at times but very fun none-the-less.

Like others story of seasons olive town was a huge letdown but the one that takes the cake is cyberpunk 2077 and pokemon bdsp both were massive disappointments, I found out the first person of cyberpunk made me motion sick so it became unplayable and just other stuff in general. Pokemon bdsp has probably been criticized to hell but it deserves every amount of it even though it might be that Ilca had no intention to make it 'faithful' to the original.

Pokemon sword and shield (which I bought this year) was surprisingly better than I expected, still a disappointment for the potential but surprising none-the-less.
Fenyx rising was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, I actually prefer it over zelda botw in a lot of ways.

What consoles did you purchase in 2021 (if any)?

n/a

Rune factory 5
Monster hunter rise for PC
Crystar
Horizon Forbidden west
the full release of Baldurs Gate 3 if it happens this year
zelda botw 2 if it comes out this year

atelier ryza 2

Games that you wanted to play (that you own or borrowed) but just weren't able to get around to playing

Serin Fate, persona 4 on PC

Favorite gaming song/s and/or OST?

World of Shadows - SMTV

RPG/Farming/Collecting

Baldur's gate 2, Examon Extinction, Stardew Valley, My time at portia, mass effect andromeda, jade empire, Enderal: forgotten stories

Ena from mhst 2, Lucia from sun haven, ares from fenyx rising.

Rune factory 5 having bisexual options

Depending on how crazy animation school and my continued work toward bachelors of biology is, I may or may not have much time for gaming in 2022
Overall mostly a good year, good games were good, least favorite games were very disappointing
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I'm late!
Spoiler:
How many games did you finish this year? (doesn't have to be an exact amount, estimate!) - Around 25? At the moment, I'm still doing pretty good at "finishing" every game I play on Switch, which is (mostly) stopping me from ballooning my backlog and forcing me to only buy things I know I'll finish.

The games were Animal Crossing (finished all the content in the DLC for the finish condition), Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, Mana 1 on Collection of Mana, Diablo II Resurrected, Diablo III, Garden Story, Gnosia, Harvest Moon One World, Jurassic World Evolution, New Pokemon Snap, Paper Mario the Origami King, Picross S, Return of the Obra Dinn, Rune Factory 4 Special, Shantae, Shantae Half-Genie Hero, Snow Battle Princess Sayuki, SOS Friends of Mineral Town, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles I, Vitamin Connection, Warioware Get it Together, Ys Origin, and Ys VIII.

Favorite game/s that you played in 2021 (doesn't have to have necessarily came out this year) - Probably Jurassic World Evolution, which I was expecting to be a rough license game to scratch a quick itch I had for a tycoon-type game. It was really good! I put like 60 hours into it. Also, Return of the Obra Dinn was SO GOOD. Very short, but I was super-addicted to it and eagerly await the day that I forget enough to replay it. I also adored Harvest Moon One World, and really enjoyed that patch from last fall.

Least favorite or game/s that let you down that you played in 2021: - Either Vitamin Connection or Snow Battle Princess Sayuki. Vitamin Connection was meant for 2 players and not very fun (though it did have the most bizarre music). I impulse-bought Sayuki when I was really wanting to play Pocky and Rocky Reshrined, but it was not very good. I realized after I started it's an old PS2 (?) game that doesn't look great or play well on Switch. I eventually beat it, but it also had an uneven difficulty - I got stuck in an early area for hours, but beat the other 80% of the game in one sitting.

Game/s that surprised you the most: - Definitely Jurassic World Evolution.

What consoles did you purchase in 2021 (if any)? - OLED Switch! I only had a Lite, so I am super-thrilled to play on my TV now.

What games (if any) are you looking forward to in 2022? - Mostly Rune Factory 5 right now, though... I'm also a little worried about that one. I still have a couple big releases from the end of 2021 I need to play (Pokemon BDSP and SMTV). Weirdly, nothing on my immediate radar, though I often pick up indie games unexpectedly, and I'm also hoping to see the Switch port for Siralim Ultimate in early-mid 2022.

Games that you wanted but weren't able to purchase? - None! I mostly buy physical games, but if I miss one, the eshop is there for me. My Time at Portia is weirdly valuable as a physical cartridge, but I got the digital version for around $8.

Games that you wanted to play (that you own or borrowed) but just weren't able to get around to playing - I already mentioned SMTV and Pokemon... I was hoping to finish my replay of the Shantae series last year, but didn't get to Risky's Revenge, so that'll be in 2022. I also keep meaning to play Great Ace Attorney II and Cupid Parasite... My Time at Portia... DQXI, replay Xenoblade Chronicles... ;_; 2022, though!

Favorite gaming song/s and/or OST? - It might have been whatever weirdness was happening in Vitamin Connection. XD Also maybe Warioware? You kinda have to be in the groove for that game, though I'm struggling to remember much variety from that game.

Which genre did you play the most of? - Oof. Simulation, I guess? If you can count HM/SOS/RF/AC and maaaaybe JWE (theme park simulation?) as simulations. I also played a lot of action/platform games, and a couple RPGs.

Did you replay any older games this year? If so which ones? - I'm starting to realize I play a lot of remakes and ports. ^_^; Friends of Mineral Town and RF4, the Shantae games, the Mana game, I feel like there might be one or two others. Curse of the Moon might as well count, right?

Favorite characters of the year? - My partner is the biggest Ys fan, so it's Adol and Dogi by default, who we discussed daily for months before and after Ys VII. Also, Risky Boots in the Shantae games.

Favorite gaming announcements/news of the year? - I am super excited for Knights of the Old Republic, and even more excited for the remake, but who knows if that will come out on Switch. I ordered a physical version of KOTOR, so I'm waiting a bit to play it, but I haven't been able to play it on PC without major crash bugs since college.

Also, the ACNH update, which I was not expecting, nor was I planning to play the game daily for another 3 months. Designing stuff is really not my thing, but I had so much fun making all those little houses!

Disappointing gaming announcements/news of the year? - The Blizzard fiasco for sure. But in terms of actual games, probably the fact that Persona 5 Strikers came out, but there are still no announcements for P5 on Switch, or ports for P3 and P4. I would LOVE to play or re-play a Persona game.

Personal or general gaming predictions for 2022? - I'm hoping to hear good news from Atlus (more Persona/SMT ports seems doable). I'm hoping Capcom will port more Ace Attorney games to Switch. I would LOVE a sequel to Bloodstained, or a new (good) Castlevania game. Konami sounds somewhat interested, so fingers crossed. I'm also hoping Nintendo gets around to porting the WiiU Paper Mario to Switch, I think it's one of only a couple first-party WiiU games that hasn't been ported? Maybe we'll see it in 2023, with a little more time after Origami King?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Lmao. The amount of you complaining about POOT is hilarious and "losing faith" in the entire series moving forward based off of ONE game? The FOMT doesn't count considering they announced and made everyone very well aware that they were trying to stay true to the original with slight changes here and there...

Get a grip and come back to reality, folks.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hurry, everybody! If you don't want this Anonymous Fish to scorn or laugh at you...change your thoughts and opinions!
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Lmao. The amount of you complaining about POOT is hilarious and "losing faith" in the entire series moving forward based off of ONE game? The FOMT doesn't count considering they announced and made everyone very well aware that they were trying to stay true to the original with slight changes here and there...

Grow up lol, imagine shitting on people for having opinions... Opinions on an HM/SoS game... On an HM/SoS forum...

Why don't you make an account and join in the discussion then, keyboard warrior? :lala:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You don't understand, Sprites. We have one among us who is the gatekeeper of all reality. They're only trying to show everyone who doesn't have the same thoughts or feelings as they do the error of their ways, so that we may continue to exist in reality.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Lmao. The amount of you complaining about POOT is hilarious and "losing faith" in the entire series moving forward based off of ONE game? The FOMT doesn't count considering they announced and made everyone very well aware that they were trying to stay true to the original with slight changes here and there...

Dear lord, my eyes have been opened and my opinions miraculously changed thanks to your childish scorn. How could I have been so blind?!

...When in actual reality I've been losing faith in the SoS brand for a long « Mr.Gourmet's hat » time. I've liked two titles (A New Beginning and Friends of Mineral Town) genuinely in the past 10 years of this series being released. Pioneers was the final nail in the coffin. They « Snuggly Bunny » up so bad they had to apologize and patch the « Cow Poopoo » out of the game to fix it and it's STILL a grindy soulless mess. Why don't you get a grip and face the facts?
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

At the end of 2020, I was excited about new games and new game announcements coming out in 2021, but 2021 wasn’t exciting for me at all. Only really bought old games and the only game I was excited about was Rune Factory 5 and that was announced 2019 or so, it wasn’t really news that it was coming out in 2022. I am hoping that this year will be good though as I would like to go into the year with a positive viewpoint.

PoOT... I know some people who enjoyed it and some who hated it. I mean it is understandable why people disliked it especially after the 3DS titles which themselves were controversial due to the large crafting system in those three entries. Point being that developers make changes to game series all the time but it doesn’t mean we have to like them. If a majority of fans have an issue with something in a game, developers will often fix it or leave it out in the next entry. In the past 3D fighting games like Virtua fighter 3 and Tekken 4 had changes in terrain in their stages, but they reverted back to flat ground in their next entries because most players didn’t like the uneven terrain. Harvest Moon sunshine islands was a remake of island of happiness without the touch screen controls that a large portion of players disliked. What I’m trying to say is hopefully they will learn from some of the mistakes they made with Poot, particularly with it’s buggy release.

I really wish the mentality in the industry of it’s buggy on release so we will just release patches later will go away, as it means that a lot of games have problems on release. Take some time to improve the game before release, not afterward.
nenesha
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

So I never did one of these before and am not sure anyone will read it, but its cool to share with others. I will say my gaming experience in general is rather limited. I have a bad habit of not finishing things and it's sad. It's the reason I have such a big backlog. Still, I'll do the best I can.
Spoiler:
How many games did you finish this year?
Lol, two. Yep two. The new Story of Seasons and Blue Reflection Second light. Very depressing :? .

Favorite game/s that you played in 2021
Dragon Quest XI-My first time playing a Dragon Quest game. I have not finished it, but really enjoyed the hours I've played. Love the combat, the characters I've met and the adventuring. One thing I really love is how you're able to actually go into houses and look around. It's a weird I know, but I do love it in this game. I am also an Eric fangirl now lol.

Blue Reflection Second Light-Beat this game in December. Never thought I'd like it. It looked like a game mostly made for fan service and these type of games I am wary of. It didn't help that I also played the first game and (though decent), was a tad creepy with the fan service of high school girls. Blue Reflection though toned this down and I found the characters, story, and gameplay really good. The ending made me cry a bit.

Ace Attorney Series-Haven't finished the games, but love what I've played so far. I think I prefer Phoenix Wright a little more though.

Sims 3 and Older Pokemon Games-Older games yeah, but sometimes i need nostalgia

Disgea 1 and 2-I'm better at these games. I really have enjoyed playing them
Some visual novels-I won't list them here, but I played some good visual novels last year. Dramatic Murder is likely my fav

Story of Seasons Pioneers of Olive Town-I will say this game is okay for me. I don't hate it. In fact, I loved the farming part of it a lot. However, I finished the story quickly (on 'hard' mode) and it honestly was too easy. I also disliked how there are no characters portraits. The 3D models were just not good enough for me, but I hear there's a new mode with first person, so maybe this will help. I also found the town boring sadly compared to other games and the villagers were on the boring side. Still, I had fun with making my farm and liked certain love interests. Not a horrible game, but wish it was a bit more fun.

Pokemon Sword and Shield-I know their are people who like this game, but honestly, this is my most hated main stream Pokemon game. I even would rather play Let's Go Pikachu and Evee. It's too easy and I'm not a fan of hand holding. I also don't like how Game Freak lied about the reuse of models.

What consoles did you purchase in 2021
Used PS4
Switch Oled

Blue Reflection Second Light

Kirby-Looks really good
Rune Factory 5- I'm excited for the SS marriage, but admit i'm wary of getting too exciting. Some games I've wanted have felt too mediocre
Pokemon Arceus-The art is a bit bad in this game, but it looks fun. It's cool to see a new kind of Pokemon game
Makai Kingdom-An old Atlus game. I really want to play this again and am glad Atlus is putting it out on the Switch and Steam
Cross Bell-Part of the Trails series. Really want to play.
Some Visual Novels

None

Lol a lot. From console games, to PC games. I won't make a list. I'm hoping this year I can beat some of the games I have.

(J)RPG, Simulation

Yes, I seem to really need nostalgia right now.
Older Pokemon Games
Harvest Moon Games
Disgea 1 and 2
Skyrim

Eric (Dragon Quest XI)
Laharl, Enta Flonne(Disgea 1)
Adele, Rozalin(Disgea 2)
Cliff, Gray (Mineral Town)
Iori (Story of Seasons PoOT

Mikai Kingdom and Cross Bell release dates, SS marriage in Rune Factory 5

Disappointing gaming announcements/news of the year?
I have too many to list. From NFTs, to harassment, there is sadly so much I really hate going on right now in the video game industry. I'm not sure 2022 will be any better....Still, I try and at least think neutrally on these things.

I'm not good with predictions honestly. I fear 2022 though will be like 2021 but worse due to the whole NFT thing and how gaming companies don't seem to care much about their players anymore. I also am not very thrilled with how gamers kind of turn a blind eye. I admit, I'm not positive about it, but I also do not want to be negative, so I am trying to either not think about it or be neutral. I do hope though that the Nintendo Direct is good and that some good games come out this year for players.
Anyway, I overall hope this is a better year for gaming. This was fun doing this on the forum and cool reading the other responses :)
Last edited by nenesha on Feb 09, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I bet you nearly everyone who uses the 'Other Video Games' forum, particularly those who posted in this thread previously, will read your response as well, nenesha. :)

Gaming is about having fun. Backlog progress doesn't matter unless you want it to. :) If you're playing and having fun doing it, you're doing it right.
nenesha
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I bet you nearly everyone who uses the 'Other Video Games' forum, particularly those who posted in this thread previously, will read your response as well, nenesha. :)

Gaming is about having fun. Backlog progress doesn't matter unless you want it to. :) If you're playing and having fun doing it, you're doing it right.
Oh it's okay if they don't. It's just cool to see what other people think of ones gaing =). But it's awesome if they do =D. I like sharing with others.

And that is very true. I think maybe I shouldn't think about it honestly. This is also why I'm not an 100 completionist either because I know it'll take me forever lol.

Thanks for reeding by the way =D