Has anyone played Grow: Song of the Evertree?

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

The online reviews seem pretty good, but I'd really like to hear the opinions of anyone here who's played it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yep, I completed it last year, not long after it released (though I had to wait for the first big patch as I got one of the big game-breaking bugs that prevented progress.) It's quite fun! The town-building is very limited, imo. Each area only allows you to place 20 decorations (trees, shrubs, lanterns, etc) and you can't actually have a huge number of buildings, though it's adjustable.

The story is simple. I love the line the story ends on, though...makes the whole thing worthwhile, imo. Character creation is...well, to me they all look a bit samey, but the style is pretty unique, and you can have multiple body shapes and colours in everything.

My favourite part was making world seeds and planting and tending them. What you can make is so varied and each time it's a surprise...even if you make two of the same seed, the balance will be a bit different. I haven't played since, but there was a fairly big improvement update about a week ago, too. (I found it playable already, after the first update.)

Anything you'd like to know in particular?
greensara
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I have played it too, and found it fun and addictive, always wanting to keep doing just a little more. It is a little buggy and gets bogged down sometimes, but not enough to ruin the game in my opinion. The gameplay loop and charming story really carry it. It is more of a somewhat limited world/town builder than it is a social or farming sim, just so you know what to expect.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Thanks to both of you! It somehow flew under my radar. It looks lovely. I know it's coming out physical in March, but I need something besides Arceus NOW.

How long is it? Do you think it has any replay-ability or is it a one off?
Last edited by K8sMum on Feb 03, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I personally don't see any point in replaying Grow. You might as well just continue on with your first file, at least with my way of playing, since what I play for is making new unique branches on the world tree. There is no way to play the game 'differently'. (You can always change your towns around, so there's no need to restart if you want to redesign one.) Like...you can choose a romantic event with a different person, but there's no marriage or dating in this game, and no alternate storylines, or anything like that. I'd just go back into my original file if I wanted to continue the gameplay.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

That makes sense. I think I'm going to get it in a couple weeks when I have money. I appreciate reviews from people I "know".
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I prefer getting reviews/input from people I know, too. :) Online reviews are useful, but I like knowing something about the reviewer. If I know what other games they've played and what they liked and disliked about other things, it's more helpful knowing their opinion than that of a total stranger. Imo, of course.

It's a very unique game; I think it's uniqueness is a point in favour of buying all by itself. Plus I do like to buy from indie devs or small dev teams when they produce something that catches my eye.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Just turned in 10,000 Gamestoppo points for $10 off. It's downloading now. I'm sure I'm going to really like the game. :heart: