Pokemon Legends: Arceus Discussion

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
greensara
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I was a little hesitant to start this with all the spoilers and trolls roaming the internet, but I just got my shipping confirmation and I should get the game delivered tomorrow, so my excitement is through the roof now. That said, I'm hoping this thread can be used for general discussion about the game. If there is something that you think might be considered a spoiler, please put it under a spoiler cut, just in case. Thanks!

I pre-ordered the game from Amazon, for the $5 off, and I wanted a physical copy. I'm not 100% yet after Covid so I thought that was a good option since I don't want to go out to get a physical copy. Also apparently Amazon is supposed to give me a digital code for an extra outfit, which I don't really care about, but I'll take it. I am so excited to start this game tomorrow! I don't think I have been this excited about a game since FOMT came to Switch, which technically wasn't that long ago, but it has been a bit. I hope Pokemon Home gets updates soon for this and the BDSP games too. I wonder if they will be compatible to move across any of the games or if they will be self-contained and/or one way like the Let's Go games?
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I thought about ordering from Amazon to get that $5 off but lately whenever I preorder a game, it hasn’t been delivered on release day. I don’t usually mind waiting a day or two but I want my Pokémon lol. So I ordered digitally through Nintendo. I wonder if I’ll be able to play it at midnight :/ Plus now I get the heavy balls as a preorder bonus. Not much but I’ll take it lol.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Extremely tempted to stay up until unlock tonight. I've been hearing a lot of good about the game, mainly that it's just very, very fun. Like the formula is both fresh and familiar and keeps you coming back for more. A lot of people who haven't played it yet are still crying over how bad the trees looks, but « Baaaa *glomp* », who gives a « Snuggly Bunny »??? Fun game is fun. I put over 100 hours into Pokemon Shield because it was FUN, poorly rendered trees be damned. I would love another Pokemon experience to glue me to my switch for 100 hours again and I'm hoping this is it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

How often do you get a game coming out where staying up to midnight to start playing is an option (and one you actually want to take)? If it's rare, then it seems like an opportunity to grab! :) Have fun you guys! Come back to the Backlog thread in a week and let me know some overall opinions of the game, okay? (Or I'll come here in a week and ask, I guess!)
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

My boss decided this week to try 4x10hr days and see what happened. We could quite keep up with demand and we’re reverting back to 5x8hr days next week, but that means I’ve got tomorrow off! :) I haven’t been so excited about a new game coming out in a long time. I’m getting a digital copy and staying up to play, and picking up my roommates’ physical preorders tomorrow when GameStop opens so they can play when they get off of work.

What starter is everyone else going with? I’m picking Cyndaquil!
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm downloading the game right now, probably going to play for an hour or two at midnight since I don't have to go into work until the afternoon tomorrow. Its been a looong time since I've been excited about a Pokemon game so I'm really hoping that I enjoy this one! The impressions I've read so far make it sound great, at least.

I'll probably be picking Cyndaquil for my starter as well.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Probably Cyndaquil for me as well, but Rowlett is such a big fave. I want both lmao.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Definitely Cyndaquil for me. But anyway first impressions without spoilers:

Already this game starts off very differently. It’s unique to say the least. Not sure I like the very opening but I like that they are branching out. In past games you’d have the professor talking to you or you’d just arrived at your new home (it’s amazing how many children move to a new place and almost immediately get a Pokémon lol)

The graphics imo are BEAUTIFUL! (for a Pokémon game. Maybe not as good as S&S but I’m not that far along so this opinion might change) The water…I want to splash around and play in that water XD Close up textiles are meh like the grass but off way distances looks good! Will say that I’m low key disappointed that your feet don’t leave imprints in the sand tho. Minor detail but that’s something I try in games that allow it lol. I do love that I’m able to change my camera angle in any direction immediately tho.

The professor is…………….well I’ve never paid too much attention to them and this one isn’t going to be any different.

That’s it for now but now I’m even more hyped to play this game further and I haven’t even chosen my Pokémon yet.

Edit: Alright, a few hours later update. The controls are *takes a deep breath in* Pretty trash :roll:
Running around and camera angle is all fine, no problem but when it comes to fighting and capturing Pokémon?! UGH!
Old games you just scroll down to what you want and push A. Simple.
THIS GAME however, you have to use one button to aim. Another button to throw your pokeball. Except now you gotta double check that it’s on your ‘empty pokeballs’ or your ‘not empty ones’. Button prompt to use empty poke ball to capture Pokémon. Other button prompt to switch over to occupied pokeball if you want/need to fight. First button prompt to throw that pokeball.
And now you have to hold button to focus on one Pokémon and press another to open your Pokédex to see *semi spoiler*

Okay so it’s a learning curve and I’m slowly getting it but sometimes I accidentally send out a Pokémon when I just want to toss an unused pokeball to capture something or vice versa but rn it’s a little annoying.
Also it took me forever to remember how to save. The menus aren’t the best either imo.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I'm getting my copy soon/later today at Gamestop. :)

Spoiled myself a bit and got a look at Hisuian regional forms for the final evolutions of the starters. I love how Decidueye looks. So, I guess I'm going with Rowlett. Super excited. :)
greensara
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Tracking says the game is out for delivery and projects to be delivered in the next couple of hours, so maybe by lunchtime! I will have to try not to scare the delivery person by bursting out to grab my game immediately, lol.

Since the reveal, I have been going back and forth between Cyndaquil and Oshawott, leaning towards Cyndaquil. My husband is planning on picking Rowlet.

I'm guessing they decided to do different controls since you don't have the separate battle screen anymore, at least from what I saw in the demonstration video Nintendo did recently. I look forward to seeing it myself. At least this all is confirmation again that they did not go back to the Let's Go controls. I hated those controls playing on the TV. Don't know why they didn't let you toggle them as the handheld controls were more normal and tolerable.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The game is downloading as I type this.
greensara
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Okay, I have played for a little while and here are my non spoiler first impressions. It is awesome! Yes, it is very different, but I have not run into any issues yet. The controls take a little getting used to, but they are not bad by any means.

A few high points:
I love the mission system, both for the Pokedex and individuals. It really gives purpose to what you're doing other than hoarding creatures (which I do anyway, lol).

I also love how immersive the world feels now. It seems so big and open and like I will probably get lost.

I like the crafting aspect, though not everyone is into that I'm sure. It is also way more efficient than ACNH in its crafting, which is a little sad for Animal Crossing.

I also love the Shaymin bonus kimono, it's super cute!

Another thing to note: Apparently trading is strictly through codes this time, so I am guessing no trading at random with people or doing wonder trades.

I am having a lot of fun already and have barely scratched the surface content-wise I am sure. Definitely going to sink a lot of time into this one.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Watching a stream, there’s no Pokémon center?
greensara
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Shan -
Spoiler:
There's no Pokemon center that I have seen, though there is a medic room in headquarters that has a couple of gals that talk about healing up folks. Apparently people are more worried about getting hurt than the Pokemon. I haven't actually tried to heal any way other than potions yet though.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

^^
I’d also like to add that
Spoiler:
When your in the field, there’s a set up tent with a cot near it. You can rest there and your Pokémon will be healed. If you open up you map, you can also fast travel there which is very nice.