Nintendo Direct Feb 9, 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wow, an absolute shitton of rumors ended up being right, some of them from a year or so ago! I'm still digesting but here's my main thoughts on what I care about:
Spoiler:
- A new Fire Emblem Warriors game but it's an AU of Three Houses. While I do like the thought of more Fire Emblem, this feels like Monkey's paw. I may or may not buy this.

- The Chrono Cross+Radical Dreamers remaster is cool. This is one of those rumors that came true. I'm actually not really into this game and don't hold a ton of nostalgia for it, but Time's Scar is one of those pieces of music that absolutely shreds my heart to pieces and can make me a blubbering mess on listening. Something about it just hits me hard every time I hear it. Had to blink back tears during the trailer lmao.

- The LIVE A LIVE HD-2D IS SO « Snuggly Bunny » COOL HOLY « Cow Poopoo »!!! I remember being so fascinated by this game a few years back, watched a big video essay on it and kinda hoped one day we could play it. There was a rumor a year or so ago that it may be getting released on the Nintendo Online service or a remake was in the works due to a trademark popping up. I can't believe we're actually getting it remade and it's a HD-2D title! I am such a simp for HD-2D, I will buy anything made in it's engine.

- XENOBLADE 3 REAL. « Cow Poopoo ». I was like "haha, no way are we gonna get Xenoblade 3 like this!" AND THEN WE DID. Man, it's like 2017 all over again with Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade releasing in the same year! I like the flutes. :3
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I thought it had a lot of cool stuff in it, including really long-desired games I didn't think would ever actually make it to switch (or maybe not to North America at all.) Now, to tell the whole truth...until the very last game, I wasn't sure I'd get even one of the games shown. I do think I may get the sports one, and maybe No Man's sky. But the last one...recognized it the second it came on screen. The feel is so distinct.

I need to watch it again to get a better feel, but I do already know that I like the feel of the characters better in this than the last one, which is a big deal. But who is the MC? The one playing the flute?

For all I only got one game out of it (and two 'maybes') I thought it was pretty good :) Whatever else happens, I'm excited for some exploring.

More details on last segment.
Spoiler:
While very intrigued that this will supposedly be the game to truly bring Xenoblade 1 and 2 together, I was a bit depressed to see that it's a world at war. After all Shulk and Rex did, all their idiot people (or their offshoots? Different world name...entirely different universe? Doesn't make sense that way, though.) ended up in constant war, even worse than before? I find it exhausting to think about. Or perhaps that's a third entirely separate world and they're all different people, even though there was an obvious repeat. Also saw someone bragging about how they recognized Melia, even providing comparison pictures to 'prove' it, lol. Uh...we all recognized Melia. It was super obvious. And yes, Dunban, you did see a waterfall back there, how special you must be to have noticed that horizon filling expanse of loud rushing water. Only you could have done it!

EDIT: Okay, rewatched twice and quite confused by some reused settings. I thought those wouldn't even exist? Very interested, though!
EDIT: Btw, if anyone wants to watch it, or see just one clip, Nintendo has the whole things and the individual segments listed HERE. But don't scroll down at all if you want to watch the whole thing without knowing what reveals are within!
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

XC3: Nia and Melia possibly being in the same game makes me happy (and a little confused, I know the games are connected but it still feels like a leap even after playing Future Connected, which was a confusing narrative to begin with because it had a weird mix of stuff that seemed like fluff and stuff that seemed like it was supposed to be indicative of… something, but left totally unresolved).

I’m kinda sad that there’s no sign of anything XCX related but that’s ok. Maybe someday in the future it can be revisited. If not I just hope my Wii U lasts a long time.

Also Chrono Cross! Yay!

Edit: XC3 is said to have 2 protagonists, the black hair ponytail boy Noah and the white haired girl with the cat ears, Mio, according to the Nintendo website

More info here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintend ... 68340.html
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I was a little disappointed by the direct. There wasn't much I was interested in, or that wowed me a bunch.

Of course, I'm still excited for Kirby and the Forgotten Land (coming March 25, 2022).

The new stuff I'm interested in that was revealed are as follows:

1) Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (July 8th, 2022)
Spoiler:
I'm assuming this contains Kloana 1 and 2. Looking it up, it seems that it (Klonoa 1) had come out in 1997 on the PlayStation (and was remade for the Nintendo Wii in 2008). The second game came out in 2001 for the PlayStation 2. What I find interesting, is this game series doesn't have many entries, and takes decades-long breaks before new entries or ports or something similar, looking at the series' timeline.

I have vague memories of the 2008 Nintendo Wii remake. I think I rented the game. (???) I don't remember.
2) Live a Live (July 22, 2022)
Spoiler:
I think the game looks interesting. The concept, too. I'm just put off by its $50 USD price tag.
3) Nintendo Switch Sports (April 29th, 2022)
Spoiler:
So, I have a ton of fond memories of Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (and Motion+) on the Nintendo Wii, but I didn't think Nintendo Switch Sports would come so late in the Switch's life. The Switch has been around for 4-6 years, depending on how you look at it. So, this seems a long time coming. I'm just ecstatic its coming at all. I think my favorite was bowling for the Wii games. :) So, I'm happy to see that returning, new sports, and lots of support for it in the future.

There will be an online play test for Nintendo Switch Sports running from February 18th to February 20th. :)
4) Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (2022)
Spoiler:
I think an in-game paid subscription service to access over 500 more songs (this upcoming game) is better than buying packs (like what the previous game did) as DLC, and paying possibly hundreds of dollars if you wanted every song/song pack for the game. :shock: Also, I've hardy played the previous game, but do find it fun. I also have the two Nintendo Switch ports of theTaiko no Tatsujin RPG games, but haven't played them yet.
5 (???) Two-Point Campus (May 17th, 2022)

This game looks like fun, but I've never played the previous entry, Two-Point Hospital. Is Two-Point Hospital any good?
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:Edit: XC3 is said to have 2 protagonists, the black hair ponytail boy Noah and the white haired girl with the cat ears, Mio, according to the Nintendo website

More info here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintend ... 68340.html
Oh, interesting! :) I'm getting bits of information from a stream I've got on while making dinner and apparently Project Noah was the code name for the Xeno OG, Xenogears, and even from what I've seen, Noah looks quite a bit like the protag of Xenogears... Makes me wanna watch a playthrough of the game, I don't think it's very easy to get a hold of anymore.

Very curious to see if this is Takahashi's attempt to sort of...merge the whole timeline.

There were people in chat saying too that a lot of the environments remind them of XCX and the bit of people wearing more modern clothing in the trailer is more XCX than 1 or 2... But that's all we've got at this point. :/
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It got « Weed Picking » CARBY! That's enough for me!
Spoiler:
Also, Marvelous has an new RPG. Loop 8 https://youtu.be/UymVi2gb6n0
Last edited by Terranigma Freak on Feb 10, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^
Do you mind putting that image under a spoiler? It’s kinda stretching my phone screen.

Anyway, while there was games I’m not into, it was great to watch
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Most of the games mentioned weren't by cup of tea, but happy that many games people have been hoping for are coming. I may finally give Earthbound a try myself. I was interested in the reboot of "Wii Sports" and may actually try to get the physical copy to get the extra leg strap.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That image is even stretching my laptop screen, which also stretches this reply window, lol. It's all distorted.

Noah looks like Shulk to me, crossed with that Lin Fei or whatever main guy from Xenogears (I own the game on ps3 but couldn't get through it cuz it's too clunky, but the hero had a cool style with a very long, high ponytail.) Except his voice sounds a lot like Rex, lol, so in general I'm rather confused about Noah. Mio of course is very reminiscent of Nia. I'm not all that sure about either of them, but I've of course been looking at everything about XC3 since the drop and there's already a load of info out there. The bits I recognize but don't understand are really intriguing me!
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Spoiler:
LIVE-A-LIVE?!!!!

I learned about Live-a-Live from another direction - I've run across it a lot over the years because of the popular artists that worked on it. I can't BELIEVE it's coming out in English after all this time. I'll play that IMMEDIATELY.

Also pumped for XC3! I'm really surprised that's coming so soon. i was still hopeful they'd use a port of XCX to hype a future release for that one. XC1 was one of my favorite Wii games, though I plan to play DE and XC2 before 3 comes out, so I probably won't pick it up right away. It will take me FOREVER to finish those two.

I love the look of Getsufumaden, which I'd never heard of before and is already out! I want to try it ASAP, but I'll make myself play a couple of the action games I already have before picking this up.

A few other things looked good. I was not expecting Chrono Cross, though Triangle Strategy, XC3, and Live-A-Live are all things I'll play before that, and I'll also want to play Chrono Trigger again first. I'm 50/50 on Klonoa, which I played a bit of on GBA, but again, that one's far enough down my list of priorities that it isn't super-likely I'll get to it. I'm also very happy about the Earthbounds on the eShop, though I'm more likely to play those on GBA. I really like that there's more Taiko no Tatsujin as well, but I still need to play the Rhythmic Adventure Pack, and I've heard the real ones are not as fun without the controller.
There was a lot for me in this Direct! Usually I'm not so well-fed.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, I'm happy about all the things I recognized in XC3, which was quite a lot, but that made it so there is so much to be curious about, knowing how it all fits together. Right now, I can't imagine the course of that story, with all those details in it. I think the game is probably entirely done, content-wise. They didn't just drop that trailer, but a site and extra information posts, that fill in quite a lot. I think we'll get another trailer at E3, possibly even a gameplay segment, though with XC being so intensely story-driven, a gameplay segment seems difficult to do, unless they just show minor creature battling in some featureless or starter area. I expect we'll still have an action bar, but the combat system is different each time, otherwise. Curious to know it's a crossbreed between some of the others (with Future Connected and Torna: TGC both having different systems as well) or if it's just new. I like Xenoblade-style combat, which many call 'MMO-style'. Makes sense...I like MMO combat, too! Action menu combat, lol.

I need to look up more about No Man's Sky. Plus I'd like to see how it runs on Switch, since it starting out as a PC game.

XC3 is a good thing and I want it, but it has made me think they really won't ever port XCX. XCX was misunderstood. I watched the videos a couple times in 2015 and understood that it was what they openly called it...a spiritual sequel, not an ACTUAL sequel. Not actually connected to XC1 at ALL (unless you count Lin's barrettes as a connection, which I do not.) and with a different type of story, too. But people were so mad about it not being Xenoblade 2 that they didn't actually give it a chance, and that on top of the Wii U's player base being so tiny to begin with. You'll still see people griping about it wherever XCX comes up, so of course Monosoft is aware of it. New players who still know nothing about it, but got interested because of XC1DE, XC2 or XC3 would very likely react the same way. XCX, being one of the most amazing games I've played in my life, might bomb on Switch. It'd be a lot of trouble to port (it really needs dual screens) and then it would likely cause a lot of controversy and maybe not even be profitable. *sigh* I blame people for this. I'm now quite sure they'll never port XCX until/unless it is made clear that the original Xenoblade Chronicles storyline is DONE and that Xenoblade may continue, but with a completely different story with no connection, and they decide to do an XCX2. I don't think they'll ever do an XCX2 (even though we NEED it with how they left that tiny bit at the end!) unless they first port XCX, so...yeah. I feel like the conditions for a port of XCX are becoming more and more specific and less and less likely thereby.

Wah :(
nenesha
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:Well, I'm happy about all the things I recognized in XC3, which was quite a lot, but that made it so there is so much to be curious about, knowing how it all fits together. Right now, I can't imagine the course of that story, with all those details in it. I think the game is probably entirely done, content-wise. They didn't just drop that trailer, but a site and extra information posts, that fill in quite a lot. I think we'll get another trailer at E3, possibly even a gameplay segment, though with XC being so intensely story-driven, a gameplay segment seems difficult to do, unless they just show minor creature battling in some featureless or starter area. I expect we'll still have an action bar, but the combat system is different each time, otherwise. Curious to know it's a crossbreed between some of the others (with Future Connected and Torna: TGC both having different systems as well) or if it's just new. I like Xenoblade-style combat, which many call 'MMO-style'. Makes sense...I like MMO combat, too! Action menu combat, lol.

I need to look up more about No Man's Sky. Plus I'd like to see how it runs on Switch, since it starting out as a PC game.

XC3 is a good thing and I want it, but it has made me think they really won't ever port XCX. XCX was misunderstood. I watched the videos a couple times in 2015 and understood that it was what they openly called it...a spiritual sequel, not an ACTUAL sequel. Not actually connected to XC1 at ALL (unless you count Lin's barrettes as a connection, which I do not.) and with a different type of story, too. But people were so mad about it not being Xenoblade 2 that they didn't actually give it a chance, and that on top of the Wii U's player base being so tiny to begin with. You'll still see people griping about it wherever XCX comes up, so of course Monosoft is aware of it. New players who still know nothing about it, but got interested because of XC1DE, XC2 or XC3 would very likely react the same way. XCX, being one of the most amazing games I've played in my life, might bomb on Switch. It'd be a lot of trouble to port (it really needs dual screens) and then it would likely cause a lot of controversy and maybe not even be profitable. *sigh* I blame people for this. I'm now quite sure they'll never port XCX until/unless it is made clear that the original Xenoblade Chronicles storyline is DONE and that Xenoblade may continue, but with a completely different story with no connection, and they decide to do an XCX2. I don't think they'll ever do an XCX2 (even though we NEED it with how they left that tiny bit at the end!) unless they first port XCX, so...yeah. I feel like the conditions for a port of XCX are becoming more and more specific and less and less likely thereby.

Wah :(
You really like the Xenoblade series. Can I asks, is it worth playing? I'm trying to decide between it and Cold Steel, but I'm not sure on the combat. With Cold Steel and Xenoblade 2, i'm really wary of how tropey they may be and just how much fan service are in these games. Specifically, I know Xenoblade 2 has a good amount of fan service and some blade designs that aren't well received. Part of me wants to play these games though
Chrysalis-Lyn
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Huh, nothing really spoke to me about the direct besides Kirby. The upgrading town/ability mechanics sound so satisfying!

The HD 2D for Live A Live is also absolutely gorgeous. I might do more research on it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

(@nenesha)

Cold Steel and Xenoblade are BOTH all-time favourites of mine, both being intensely story and character driven. Being a little bit past the end of the Cold Steel arc, now, I can say that my love of Xenoblade surpasses my love of Cold Steel, particularly since I actually prefer CS 1/2 to CS 3/4. Though, with them being favourites of mine, I can really only give one answer...yes, they're very worth playing. I love them.

I would say that Cold Steel is more obviously 'tropey' than XC1, by a fair margin. I think that ANY story-driven series you've played for long will eventually become tropey and predictable, because that's what I've found happens to me. Once I get used to the way a dev team thinks and writes their stories and characters, I start to be able to predict more and more about what'll happen next. XC1 was a roller-coaster for me. I wasn't familiar with the developer or the story, and there are a lot of big twists. Of course, it's a JRPG. All JRPGs can kind of be broken down into a formula of struggle and misunderstanding that has to be worked through until full understanding is achieved and a resolution reached. That may be true of almost all stories, of every type, in every part of the world, game or not, though.

Character tropes in XC1 are not overbearing, for the most part...though Reyn is a bit of a lump, trope-wise. (He's a little too plain and simple, imo...he wasn't given much depth. All the others have more. Though I guess in life there ARE people who are simpler and/or more straight-forward, so maybe that's not bad!) Cold Steel is more tropey than XC1, but the depth created by the world's immense lore/backstory is astonishing. For all I now find individual stories within the LoH series (of which Cold Steel is a sub-series) quite predictable, I don't actually have any idea to what these stories are ultimately leading. Playing Kuro is really going to be a clincher for me, about how I feel about the series going forward. I really love Rean, though. Others hate him! They say he's 'boring', not compelling as a main character. But I absolutely love the story of him being this displaced human who doesn't feel worthy of, well...anything, really, and wanting to move forward, but always held back by all the things he doesn't know or understand about himself, and worrying about the things he's done wrong, what he may do wrong in the future and if it will be even worse than the past...argh, I just love the kid, so I do. (I also love Shulk, mind you! I adore characters who spend most of their time inside their own heads, trying to find a way to connect to the world in a way that works.)

XC2 is much er...'tropier'. More tropey. They did lay on the fanservice in various spots, and it was made pretty clear that they care more about their male players than their female ones by the nature of that fanservice. I was really angry with Xenoblade 2 in various spots, particularly when we spent an entire important, emotional cutscene talking to Pyra's ample butt or boobs. If you can look past moments like that, the story of XC2 is actually great, and the crew of antagonists are wonderful...best in the series so far; really deep! It's more predictable if you've already played XC1, of course, because you know what kind of story the devs tend to write, by then, and how they may echo or connect to each other, but if you played XC2 first, then I think it's probably not any more predictable than the original. Though I didn't do it that way, so I'm not sure.

I really like combat in Xenoblade. I'm super comfortable with it! I always liked MMO-style combat, and I enjoy how you can really tweak your abilities with gear/gems. You can play in such a way as to barely be involved in the combat (particularly if you turn on the easy mode!), or you can really focus on it and get strategic, or head up the middle-ground. Cold Steel also has highly-customizable combat. You can rig out your party to be absolutely brokenly powerful if you employ stacking stat-bonuses via gear and augments, and though I normally hate turn-based battling, for whatever reason, I find it quite engaging in Cold Steel. (Less so in the sky games, though, probably because of the graphics. I can never feel fully immersed in 2D top-down graphics. I hate that feeling of looking down at the world and characters from the sky. I don't feel involved/invested when it's like that.) For both series, then, the combat is very customizable, and doesn't employ button-mashing, nor do you need fast reflexes to be good at it, which I really need, since my reflexes would probably lose in a race against the proverbial molasses in winter.

Well, you asked about two of my absolute, top favourite games ever, so you were always going to get a painfully long answer, but there you go, lol. "Is it worth playing?" is a very broad question. If you want to know how tropey they are, or if you're looking for a description of the battle system, I have at least somewhat addressed that, I think. Is there anything specific you want to know, nenesha?
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I just finished looking at everything that was announced in yesterday’s Direct. Most of the games that they announced didn’t interest me; however, I was excited to see a Nintendo Switch Sports (though I miss the charm of the old Miis), and I was even more excited about seeing 48 new DLC courses for Mario Kart! :D Last night I was telling my brother that I wished that Coconut Mall was in Mario Kart 8, and then I saw this morning that Coconut Mall is in the DLC. Mario Kart Double Dash is probably my favorite Mario Kart game, so I’m excited to see what new Double Dash courses are in the DLC packs (I hope they add Rainbow Road…). My brother was expecting an announcement for Mario Odyssey 2 and a new Pokémon game, but he’ll be disappointed :lol:

(Carby is precious, but he is also stretching my screen :lala: )