Rune Factory 4 Fishing Guide

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Kail-chan wrote:Ah I made a mistake ;-; when I said Spring Area, (For Taimen) I meant Spring Spring. I forgot there was a spring area other than that, my apologies.
Also Throbby Snapper can be fished from Keeno Lake
Thanks, will add. Is Throbby Snapper a name change of Lover Snapper from previous games? Also, no worries! I was able to catch a Taimen in Sercerezo Lake, so I will keep that.
youngnozomi wrote:Also I have a question pertaining to fishes. How does one know if the fish is rare or not?
Most of the rare fish tend to have large shadows. If you see one, it's most likely one of the rare fish.
rainydaze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

is there any way to get the % catch rates? also, great guide :D. now i can kick butt cheeks in the fishing festivals!
also, i still cannot get over how lover snapper is now throbby snapper yet the sashimi is still lover sashimi... throbby... it makes it sound gross
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

rainydaze wrote:is there any way to get the % catch rates? also, great guide :D. now i can kick butt cheeks in the fishing festivals!
also, i still cannot get over how lover snapper is now throbby snapper yet the sashimi is still lover sashimi... throbby... it makes it sound gross
I remember running into a villager who said something about ugrading your rod with fish in order to up the % catch rate. Try that? I've never tested it >.<

Yea throbby snapper is uh... :roll: Lover snapper sounded just fine, guys. Geez... :(
rainydaze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

rachellion wrote:
rainydaze wrote:is there any way to get the % catch rates? also, great guide :D. now i can kick butt cheeks in the fishing festivals!
I remember running into a villager who said something about ugrading your rod with fish in order to up the % catch rate. Try that? I've never tested it >.<

Yea throbby snapper is uh... :roll: Lover snapper sounded just fine, guys. Geez... :(
i found changing that iconic name after so many games to be weird.
delight
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

fourside wrote:
delight wrote:The Japanese Rune Factory wiki list which fish are rare, sadly I can't read Japanese well and can't tell what it actually says if someone else could translate. Also I am still missing one fish which I believe is one of the rare fish.
Is the fish you were missing Glitter Snapper? I was doing some fishing to collect info for the guide and I caught one. It wasn't on the list you gave.
Yes, this must be it because I don't see it on my list either! Thanks a lot for letting me know. I was wondering what fish I was missing.
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I don't know of a way to find them, but as a general rule you can make sure to use a better rod for fish listed as 'rare'.
rachellion wrote:Yea throbby snapper is uh... :roll: Lover snapper sounded just fine, guys. Geez... :(
Lover Snapper is a far superior name. Throbby Snapper sounds ugly. :P
rainydaze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

also, are the only two fish in the sand sand flounder and rockfish?
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

rainydaze wrote:also, are the only two fish in the sand sand flounder and rockfish?
Yes. Those are the only two fish you can catch there. Sand flounder are extremely common there and Rockfish are rare.
rainydaze
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

fourside wrote:
rainydaze wrote:also, are the only two fish in the sand sand flounder and rockfish?
Yes. Those are the only two fish you can catch there. Sand flounder are extremely common there and Rockfish are rare.
hmm. were there ever more than two in other rf games?
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

rainydaze wrote:hmm. were there ever more than two in other rf games?
I don't think so. I think sand flounder and rockfish are the only two fish that have been catchable in sandy areas.
Shushumu
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Just found a blowfish from Yokmir Forest waterfall
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Thanks! Added.
Ganhur
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

The difference between rare and common fish is the color of their shadows.
If you look carefully, rare fish shadows are dimmer than common fish's.

It is also mentioned by a traveler in game that if you upgrade fish-pole with fishes, it'll help you fish much easier.
fourside
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Ganhur wrote:The difference between rare and common fish is the color of their shadows.
If you look carefully, rare fish shadows are dimmer than common fish's.

It is also mentioned by a traveler in game that if you upgrade fish-pole with fishes, it'll help you fish much easier.
I'll add this to the guide. I never noticed that the shadows were different.
Itskaykay
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Hmmm.. I've actually caught most of my Taimen and Glitter Snapper in Selphia town, specifically in the water run off area to the right of the doctor's house. Does this count?