Trouble with River King: A Wonderful Journey (PS3)

A fishing RPG that's older than Harvest Moon. Current games include River King 1 (GB/3DS VC), River King 2 (GBC/3DS VC), River King Advanced (GBA), A Wonderful Journey (Ps2), and Mystic Valley (DS)
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

So, we bought River King: A Wonderful Journey on the PS3. All was okay until we started trying to do the lure fishing. For whatever reason, this seems to not be working properly.

We waited to get the vibration on the controller, and it goes to the underwater scene. We get the fish to take the lure....but pressing X to reel it in does NOT work. The fish runs with the lure, disappears...we lose the lure and take damage.

Are we doing something massively stupid (ALWAYS a possibility), or is the game just...not working? We're really annoyed at this point, any help would be appreciated.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

What is the rod/lure combo you've tried?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Lure rod, and he tried all of the lures. We can get the fish to bite, but it will not reel in. At all.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

I've experienced the same thing, but it may be just a matter of a fishing technique / level issue. Even if I snag a giant fish with my simple bobber and hook, I don't have the experience to reel it in so the X button doesn't respond.

I'd stick with using a Fly Rod until you've leveled up a bit.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Okay, we'll give that a shot :). Thanks!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

:sheep: Though he does say that he can catch the same fish with a regular bait rod....should that matter?
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Yep, the same for me - it may be that Lures require a higher fishing technique whereas the simple Bait rod does not.
XxNanaxX
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

The PS3 version of this game is full of bugs that aren't present on the original disc. I rarely used the Lure Rod in the PS3 version, but I do remember it acting weird. Also, with big fish I would often get a glitch where the fish would not move at all, and all I could do was reset the game - this happened with every rod. So I got frustrated and bought the PS2 version on Amazon. I completed the game with the PS2 version and had no problem whatsoever.