Happy 5th Birthday RF3.

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's the 5th anniversary of RF3 today; it being released on the 22nd of October 2009. It's been such a long time since then...half a decade and I remember the day RF3 was announced in Japan during the summer of 2009 and seeing people's initial reactions here on Fogu. Times flies so fast, I swear. Purpose of this thread? Just share any fond/memorable moments any of you may have had with RF3 (whether or not you enjoyed it). No fond memories of it? Didn't exactly enjoy it? Have mixed opinions? Then just post whatever you feel like of it then, that works too, haha. RF4 has long since usurped 3 in my ranking for most favorite RF game but nevertheless, RF3 was a fun experience for me and it's basically what got me back into the series after a long absence of not playing anything RF related in between 2009 and 2011. Funny thing is RF4's announcement in June 2011 is what prompted me to pick RF3 up after hearing how much of a step up it was compared to 2 in terms of gameplay mechanics. Looking back at it now, it's a game with a number of flaws but it still gave me fond memories. Even if 9 out of 10 people in the town were absolutely nuts.
Kaist
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I remember utterly breaking the game via Sharance Maze. :'D

But seriously, one of my favorite things was exploring the different dungeons for the first time. I really, really liked Oddward Valley- it was just so pretty! RF3 was a really great game. I loved it, although I haven't played it in a while because it would feel too closed-up compared to RF4. Exploring Raven's issues was rather interesting too.

Sakuya was always hilarious to me. The G symbol she'd get in her eyes was a neat little touch, as were the fortune-telling (?) things she gave that reduced or increased chances of x thing happening. Hmm... what else? Micah's snark was fun. I also mostly liked the main plot, although it did feel kind of short. Even the craziness was a fun factor, although I fear the prevalence of insane/quirky people in video games and books have colored my view of the world.

I remember really, really hating that the game pushed Shara at you, despite liking her as a character. And also how the kids you have basically look like Rusk.

Great game, lots of memories. :)
sadeofraine
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I prefer RF4 nowadays and it can get a little hard playing backwards from it, but I did love RF3. I did have a couple problems with it, such as the game pushing Shara at you as well as the kids. But I also enjoyed the dungeons and, while the characters didn't have a lot of depth for the most part, they were still likable. Most of them. Yes, Pia, you hate octopus. Yes, Karina, you're lazy, please stop whining and sighing about every « Snuggly Bunny » thing. Sophia and Daria were hilarious and I utterly fell in love with Raven, and the world itself was quite pretty. I would have liked to have known more about Micah's past because he struck me as very interesting, but oh well.
HarvestMoonGoddess01
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I have almost all the RF except Frontier, however I've only played RF4 fully. (working on the others). I'm playing RF3 for a while and I'm in the Oddward valley area now. It's really fun and I'm still trying to find out who I'm marrying (Daria, Kuruna, Shara, or Raven... It's a hard one. Seriously someone help me I don't know! Lol)

I do realize I'm going backwards, playing RF4 first then going back, but I love RF3 a lot. Usually I can't go backwards like this and like past games, this is an exception. The only thing I really hate is there's no quick and easy way to unequip tools and weapons and the game lags occasionally. But I really love the characters and plot.
asduskfalls
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Ohhh no. Oh no no no. Has it really been so long? Yeesh! Well, i really enjoyed running around kicking « Mr.Gourmet's hat » as a woolly, it was my preferred fighting method. And the character portraits were all really pretty. i was a bit disappointed with Micah's design, not that effeminate men aren't great but it's hard to imagine them farming and dungeon crawling and still looking like Micah. Urgh. But, anyhoo, the further examination of racism in the universe was also super cool. Love it when games develop and grow along with their audience.
sadeofraine

Post  Posted:

asduskfalls wrote:i was a bit disappointed with Micah's design, not that effeminate men aren't great but it's hard to imagine them farming and dungeon crawling and still looking like Micah. Urgh.
Yeah. I keep hoping they'll make an MC who doesn't look like a girl. Raguna and Aden were more reasonable, but yeah. Not asking for Buffy the Bara, but someone who looks capable of farming huge fields and taking on dragons.
Docga
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Micah is actually my favorite protag, because he has a really great, realistic personality--he's really freakin' confused at all these crazy characters.

Although RF4 is the best RF, RF3 is my personal favorite. Daria and Sofia were the best ever.
asduskfalls
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Docga wrote:Micah is actually my favorite protag, because he has a really great, realistic personality--he's really freakin' confused at all these crazy characters.
The Only Sane Man thing he has going on legitimately made my sides hurt from time to time. His character is fantastic - those sarcastic remarks! It's just his appearance that makes no sense.
Docga
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

asduskfalls wrote:
Docga wrote:Micah is actually my favorite protag, because he has a really great, realistic personality--he's really freakin' confused at all these crazy characters.
The Only Sane Man thing he has going on legitimately made my sides hurt from time to time. His character is fantastic - those sarcastic remarks! It's just his appearance that makes no sense.
Yes! One of my favorite tropes of all time, and executed perfectly in RF3.