Pokemon GO

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.

Which Team?

You may select 1 option

View results

Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So who's hooked?

I'm totally sucked in. My work is a Pokestop, which is nice because I ran out of Pokeballs yesterday and it was very upsetting.

There are people EVERYWHERE playing it where I live. We have a big park near our house that has about 8 Pokestops in it, and people always have a lure up and there are usually like 15-30 people in the park playing it.

It's just crazy. I haven't seen outdoor gaming of this magnitude, ever. I'm so happy to see everyone being brought together by Pokemon. ;u;
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I can only play it in my house. I have it for my iPod but I need 24/7 wi-fI witch I don't have :/

I like Pokemon go but people keep on running into polls (which is kinda funny to watch) and just yesterday while at work, there was a couple that were to busy playing that they didn't even pay attention to what THEY were buying. They were holding up the whole line and even when I said the price and said that they were ready to pay; they were to focused on the game. It took almost 9 mins to ring them up.

My boss said that a few people keep on walking in the middle of the street trying to catch Pokemon. :/

While I like the game, I wish 1) that I didn't need wi-fI to play it. 2) people would actually pay attention long enough to know what they're doing, and 3) it doesn't need to know my location to play. :/ idk but I find it wierd/a little creepy that it needs to use my iPods camera to catch the Pokemon.
This is all my opinion though and I'm glad it's bringing everyone together. BUT SERIOUSLY PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS!!!!

Oh there is rumors (don't know if they're true but) rumor has it that hackers made it so if you capture certain Pokemon, it will put a virus on your phone. Hope it's not true.

Edit: whenever I try to play at another place with wi-fI it says something like "we're having difficulties with our servers; please check back later" <-- or something along those lines. Has anyone else experienced this?
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Re people not paying attention, yeah, that's definitely important. It's very important to make sure you're paying attention to your surroundings, and being courteous to the people you're with. It's ridiculous that someone took 9 minutes to ring up, what jerks. >:| Making sure to be safe and courteous is on all of us.

Re wifi and camera, unfortunately, it's an app that relies on mapping services so you can't really get around needing access to GPS and a data plan. There's always the main games if you want to play in a virtual world instead of the "real" world. Re camera, I agree that they should allow you to reject access to the camera and just lock into AR-off. If you set the AR to off, it won't access your camera, and the Pokemon will appear on an artwork background. Turning AR off also centers the Pokemon in the screen, so helps avoid those annoying "WHERE IS IT" situations.

I've never heard that hacker rumor and I'm sure it isn't true. They can't hack the source file from Niantic that's on the app/play stores, so I guess the only thing could be the cracked version that's going around for off-region Android phones, but I'm sure that if you download from the official source you're fine. (I have an iPhone so I don't really think about viruses, though.)
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

My friend and I have been playing it a lot when we go out. Willow is just the worse professor though because he explains pretty much nothing to you lol. Here's some tips I've discovered/read:
-turn AR off (unless you're taking a picture) and turn battery saver mode on to help save your battery from being devoured.
-When battery saver mode is on turn your device upside down. The screen with go black with just the logo, but the app will still track how far you walk for eggs and vibrate when Pokemon are near.
-Leave a Pokemon in any gyms you can, you get 10 coins for every day that Pokemon is in the gym.
-A high CP stage 1 Pokemon is generally worth more than a high CP stage 2 Pokemon since when you evolve the stage 1 it will be a monster.
-You can pick your pokeballs back up when you miss.
-There is a theory that eevee's evolution are NOT random. Eevees with body slam become Jolteons, eevees with swift become Vaporeons, and eevees with dig because Flareons.

Also safety wise apparently people are getting mugged while playing Pokemon Go. Some people are even using lure modules to lure in victims (link to an article about it) so stay safe! Don't go hunting for Pokemon on your own and if you do, go to public places.
Last edited by Katgirl on Jul 11, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I didn't think I would get hooked on this game, but I did. I'm on Team Mystic and my work is also a PokeStop; it's awesome.
Katgirl wrote:-When battery saver mode is on turn your device upside down. The screen with go black with just the logo, but the app will still track how far you walk for eggs and vibrate when Pokemon are near.
That's good to know! I walk a lot at my job and I really want to hatch my eggs.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I don't have a smart phone so I'm not in, but my kids are. My son and daughter were running around the house last night catching stuff. When they came back in my daughter excitedly told me everything they caught. Wife doesn't get it at all but I do. Then my son's fiancee came over and they all drove into town and found some more along with a lot of other people playing. Today my son went back to campus for summer classes and plan's on catching a lot more there.

Me ... I'm just wondering what the next phone bill will be like. Honestly though if I had a smart phone I no doubt would be into it. Looks like it gets a lot more interesting the higher level you get.
Emurii
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:I'm on Team Mystic and my work is also a PokeStop; it's awesome.
Same!! Someone keeps dropping lures on my work today, they are trying to kill my productivity ;o;
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Emurii wrote:
Ronin19 wrote:I'm on Team Mystic and my work is also a PokeStop; it's awesome.
Same!! Someone keeps dropping lures on my work today, they are trying to kill my productivity ;o;
Someone put a lure while I was off and didn't know about it until the next day. I'm probably going to buy a lure and use it when I'm on lunch. Not sure, but it would be awesome.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

there's a pokestop right up the street from my apartment, and a whole bunch downtown. i took a walk there yesterday with one of my siblings, and we kept seeing large groups of young people walking around staring at their phone. it was like a baby boomers worst nightmare

i joined team instinct, but i really wish i'd gone with team valor instead, because every gym in town is a red gym and i've been lazy about making a habit of walking, so my team is pretty weak :/ i'm planning on taking a walk every evening from now until i find a job that prevents me from doing so, though, so maybe i'll be able to toughen them up enough to steal one of those gyms for zappy bird
luph n joii
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm at level 9 atm and I'm still undecided as to which team I would join (leaning toward Team Mystic since I love Articuno and blue, but Team Valor's mascot is pretty badass as well).

The app drains my phone battery ridiculously fast and I have to buy a power bank. I hope they can do something about it. I'm at NYC atm and the city is full of PokeStop and players use lures everywhere. I ran out of space in my bag already.

Also, Professor Willow is a total hottie. He has a horrible fashion sense though.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^have you tried using the battery saver? it'll make the screen go dark when you're holding your phone down, so it saves power. though i feel i should mention (and this might just be a problem with my phone/bad luck) that when i tried using it, for whatever reason i couldn't tap on any pokémon that showed up onscreen

alternatively, if you have google maps on your phone, you can apparently download the map for your town, and it'll save both power and data since the app won't have to search the internet for it
luph n joii
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I did use the battery saver. I also turned the AR off so the Pokemon will keep being at the center of the screen, but it still drains a lot of power (make sense since this app uses GPS, camera, etc so many stuff going on at the same time). However, when I turned the AR off, my app froze more frequently when I'm catching Pokemon, which sucks.

Using offline Google map doesn't work according to this, but I'll test it later.
Ida
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

[quote="Katgirl"]
Spoiler:
My friend and I have been playing it a lot when we go out. Willow is just the worse professor though because he explains pretty much nothing to you lol. Here's some tips I've discovered/read:
-turn AR off (unless you're taking a picture) and turn battery saver mode on to help save your battery from being devoured.
-When battery saver mode is on turn your device upside down. The screen with go black with just the logo, but the app will still track how far you walk for eggs and vibrate when Pokemon are near.
-Leave a Pokemon in any gyms you can, you get 10 coins for every day that Pokemon is in the gym.
-A high CP stage 1 Pokemon is generally worth more than a high CP stage 2 Pokemon since when you evolve the stage 1 it will be a monster.
-You can pick your pokeballs back up when you miss.
-There is a theory that eevee's evolution are NOT random. Eevees with body slam become Jolteons, eevees with swift become Vaporeons, and eevees with dig because Flareons.

Also safety wise apparently people are getting mugged while playing Pokemon Go. Some people are even using lure modules to lure in victims (link to an article about it) so stay safe! Don't go hunting for Pokemon on your own and if you do, go to public places.[/
quote]

Thanks for all of the tips! I honestly didn't know some of that. I have been playing a lot, walking around the neighborhood even which is super rare for me. I like it, a lot of my friends are into it, even people who don't play video games, and it makes me feel so normal for being so excited about something I would usually get teased about. Having a blast. I live outside of the city, a little in the country, so we have an infestation of rattatas and pidgeys and little else but eyyy, I can't complain.
Ultima
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

#TEAM NOTHING BECAUSE EUROPE

In all honesty I don't even have a phone that would run this app, and when I searched for models I could afford they never come with a gyroscope, so I wouldn't be able to use AR. Is it still worth it? Seeing teh pokemens irl seems like a super cool feature, but on the other hand I assume it gets old quickly and drains too much battery, does this sound about right? What about you guys, do you use it a lot?

Sorry for asking, this is just really important to me, I still remember the times when I was 9 and ran around the neighbourhood throwing paper balls at imaginary Pokemon and I can't freaking wait to get my hands on Go, but I don't want to spend too much on a bad smartphone at the same time ;v;
Beedlebud
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Team Mystic all day all night

-But the servers were dead last night when I tried to go find some pokemon, so I was sad :( hope they can straighten out the server issue soon.