Steam Winter Sale

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
LiliaoftheWind
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It's that time of year again! I want to make this topic about the steam games you recommend or the ones you're dying to have. You can tell us a little about the games or why you want them. This way we can venture into games (or just look into them) that we might not normally play or just have a friendly discussion.

Recommendations
World's Dawn- It's a farming sim developed by a single man. I like it's atmosphere and characters. The game play is pretty simple, but it's enjoyable. The Lock Ball mini game is fun as well. Plus, it just updated today and added two more marriage candidates.
100% Orange Juice- Love this game and spent over 300 hours playing it. It's a board game that uses characters from Fruitbat Factory games. Crazy dice rolling, card using, and fighting chaos. They're constantly patching and adding DLC to the game to balance it and spice things up. The campaign modes have cute little stories, but the real fun is playing with friends.
LiEat- Adorable RPG Maker game about a girl who is a dragon who eats lies. The story follows Efina and her "papa" as they travel to different towns and unravel the mysteries within. I love the soundtrack and was super grateful that they included it with the game.
Hatoful Boyfriend- Pigeon dating visual novel that is so much more than that. With great writing and soundtrack, this game will have you feeling all sorts of emotions. I recommend going for all of the acheivements in this one.

Wishlist
Alicemare- Literally the only reason why I added this to my wishlist was because it was made by the creator of LiEat. Plus, it's cheap.
Cursed Sight- It's a short VN with 4 endings. I love the colors used in it. I'm trying not to spoil myself about the story, so I don't know much about what it's about.
Sound of Drop-fall into poison- Another VN. This one has a horror element to it. The concept of the urban legends in an aquarium peaks my interest. There are also many many bad ends to this, so it should be a fun challenge.
Town of Salem- I like Mafia, the card game. Plus this seems fun since it also has Werewolf as an inspiration as well.

Let me know if you've heard or played any of these :P
lostkitty82
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I've got World's Dawn, I haven't made it very far into it. I was given it as a gift by a person on my friend's list.

I've only played one game day in but have watched someone play a little more into it. I'd have played it a bit more but my up, down, left, right keys are kinda... well my up and down keys are small, and last I recall they don't have it set up for a controller. I think if I play it fully I will need to do so on my old laptop.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have Sound of Drop-fall into poison and I do not recommend it ':D. Here's a list of why. None of it mentions anything specific from the game, but maybe others won't want to read it so it's in a spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
The story is cliched and simple, quite a bit of the horror stuff just comes off as goofy, the characters often times don't react to things in a reasonable/believable way, the English version has that stiff/awkward/no native English speaker would ever phrase something that way style (though some people don't mind that and also some conversations are so trope-y/inhuman they likely aren't that good in the original Japanese version either).

I was really disappointed by the squandered potential of the concept, as a haunted aquarium could be amazing. I can give specific examples from the game if you'd like.

I recommend the two Edna & Harvey games! They're really low priced right now and are such fun point-and-click games. I also recommend The House in Fata Morgana.

Games I really want are Aviary Attorney, VA-11 Hall-A, Owlboy, SoulSet (not on Steam just yet), and Downfall.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The House in Fata Morgana

Seriously 10/10 amazing game and thank you so much trash mom RopeMaidenKirie for the recommendation. (and reminder that I need to play it) ;;

SO GOOD. A really hard/heavy game emotionally AND DO NOT TRY TO PLAY THE GAME IN ONE GO. It needs to be spread out. It's very dark and has a lot of triggering content in it, but the story is really good and the end is very rewarding. I cried like 3 times. So many tears, so much snot.

Honestly, probably game of the year for me (altho Stardew Valley is runner up) and while it's a heavy price DEFINITELY worth it.

Also, if you do buy it, do yourself a favor and buy the OST too. You'll thank me later.

~~

My wishlist:
-Dangan Ronpa 1 & 2 Bundle Deal
-Steins;Gate
-Corpse Party (although the art looks ???)
-Umineko When They Cry (Question Arc)
-Angels of Death
-Along the Edge

Getting a strong spook/horror vibe I think. Hurrhurr.
Hisagiluv
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I'll add to The House in Fata Morgana (even if it wasn't currently on sale). I just read through the first door and hoooooooly shiiiiiiiit. It got me gud. I appreciate a VN that instantly sucks me in and can keep me interested, and it does just that. I'm not too keen on the vocals for the OST but ehhhhhh, I'm a pleb.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hisagiluv wrote:I'll add to The House in Fata Morgana (even if it wasn't currently on sale). I just read through the first door and hoooooooly shiiiiiiiit. It got me gud. I appreciate a VN that instantly sucks me in and can keep me interested, and it does just that. I'm not too keen on the vocals for the OST but ehhhhhh, I'm a pleb.
The game gets 100000% better later on SO STRAP URSELF IN. Tbh it didn't really hit me until like halfway SO UR IN FOR A RIDE.

Oh but fyi: there is a serious flash/epilepsy in chapter 2 (and I think a little later???). And probably the only criticism I have for the game...is that.
Ida
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I am pretty broke until the end of the month when I get paid but I went to go check out the sales and it seems that Steam is currently down. Hopefully it comes back up so I can scope some deals out today~
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I got a bunch of indie games my boyfriend wanted us to play together for us and his YouTube channel. Nothing else really stands out for me to get.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Blue Rose wrote:The House in Fata Morgana

Seriously 10/10 amazing game and thank you so much trash mom RopeMaidenKirie for the recommendation. (and reminder that I need to play it) ;;
Makes my heart happy you enjoyed the game so much! It's a seriously underrated gem that more people need to play imo especially if they are a fan of good stories.

I think the only ones I'm going to be picking up are INSIDE and VA-11 HALL-A. Heard INSIDE was crazy good and I was a huge fan of Limbo, so it seems right up my alley. Plus it's short which is actually a pro for me at this point, lol.

I really want to get Umineko but I'm going to wait until the 2nd half of it is out before I even bother.
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Recommendations:
Closure: a puzzle-platformer with the unique mechanic of having to manipulate light in order to complete each level, because everything the light touches exists and everything else is a bottomless pit. Unfortunately, I can't describe the game very well, but, IMO, it's a great puzzle-platformer. I love the black and white (or dark and light, haha,) art style it has, and the puzzles can be challenging but never go into so challenging that the game is no longer fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and, if you like puzzle-platformers, I highly recommend you check this game out, especially since it's on sale for just a buck right now. A word of warning, though, if you don't like trial-and-error games this game probably won't be for you.

Freedom Planet: An action-platformer that has been described by many as what would happen if Sonic and Mega Man had a baby. The controls are nice and responsive, the pixel art is great, the music is great, the boss fights are fun, and the three playable characters play very differently from one another (which is a plus, IMO.) Check it out if you like retro platformers.

Wishlist:
There are too many games on my Wishlist for me the list them all, but the games I'm considering buying this sale are Stardew Valley and Rogue Legacy.
LiliaoftheWind
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Googaboga wrote:I have Sound of Drop-fall into poison and I do not recommend it ':D. Here's a list of why. None of it mentions anything specific from the game, but maybe others won't want to read it so it's in a spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
The story is cliched and simple, quite a bit of the horror stuff just comes off as goofy, the characters often times don't react to things in a reasonable/believable way, the English version has that stiff/awkward/no native English speaker would ever phrase something that way style (though some people don't mind that and also some conversations are so trope-y/inhuman they likely aren't that good in the original Japanese version either).

I was really disappointed by the squandered potential of the concept, as a haunted aquarium could be amazing. I can give specific examples from the game if you'd like.

I recommend the two Edna & Harvey games! They're really low priced right now and are such fun point-and-click games. I also recommend The House in Fata Morgana.

Games I really want are Aviary Attorney, VA-11 Hall-A, Owlboy, SoulSet (not on Steam just yet), and Downfall.
Thanks for letting me know about Sound of Drop. You saved me money that could be spent on The House in Fata Morgana. Idk if I'll go for it yet, but after everyone's good reviews I looked it up on steam and it sounds like it'll suit my interests perfectly.
RopeMaidenKirie wrote: Makes my heart happy you enjoyed the game so much! It's a seriously underrated gem that more people need to play imo especially if they are a fan of good stories.

I think the only ones I'm going to be picking up are INSIDE and VA-11 HALL-A. Heard INSIDE was crazy good and I was a huge fan of Limbo, so it seems right up my alley. Plus it's short which is actually a pro for me at this point, lol.

I really want to get Umineko but I'm going to wait until the 2nd half of it is out before I even bother.
That's what I'm planning on doing with Umineko as well. I hope the soundtrack is included because I love the songs I've heard from it.

100% Orange Juice just released more DLC today and I just couldn't resist buying copies as Christmas gifts for a few friends. It's great how cheap the base game is now, too. I don't have a problem :P
Ehppy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I'll likely be picking up Trails in the Sky SC, and The Wolf Among Us.
I've been wanting both of those games for some time now. (:

If you like good RPGs, I definitely recommend picking up Trails in the Sky, both the first and the sequel are on sale. They're super rich game worlds. It's a slow burn RPG, but it's so enjoyable in my opinion. All NPCs have unique dialogue that changes as the story progresses, a likeable cast of characters, fun and easy to learn battle system.

Also there's Death Road to Canada. It's a ton of fun survival game. You make a character and try to make it to Canada, looting stops along the way, with events occuring during travel, some of which are hilarious. You can either pick up random travelers along the way, or create custom characters to encounter on your travels. (Family and friends? Video game characters? Celebrities?)
It's also multiplayer so if you've got buddies over I recommend getting 'em together.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I got a Steam giftcard for Christmas and ended up finding the last bit of games I actually want. I got Seasons after Fall, To the Moon, Undertale, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, two Magicka DLC and the Stardew Valley Soundtrack.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

LiliaoftheWind wrote: Thanks for letting me know about Sound of Drop. You saved me money that could be spent on The House in Fata Morgana. Idk if I'll go for it yet, but after everyone's good reviews I looked it up on steam and it sounds like it'll suit my interests perfectly.
No worries. I usually don't like to discourage others from getting games, since you never know what really makes something entertaining to another person. But with that game I couldn't help it, aha.

And, yeah, The House in Fata Morgana would be a much better unsettling VN to play.
LiliaoftheWind
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Googaboga wrote:
LiliaoftheWind wrote: Thanks for letting me know about Sound of Drop. You saved me money that could be spent on The House in Fata Morgana. Idk if I'll go for it yet, but after everyone's good reviews I looked it up on steam and it sounds like it'll suit my interests perfectly.
No worries. I usually don't like to discourage others from getting games, since you never know what really makes something entertaining to another person. But with that game I couldn't help it, aha.

And, yeah, The House in Fata Morgana would be a much better unsettling VN to play.
I totally understand, but I'm glad you did. I think I'm going to wait for the summer sale to get The House in Fata Morgana. That way I'll have more money in my bank account and more time to play it. (What was the average gameplay time for you guys?)

I am planning on getting the Xmas Shooting-Scramble for the Scramble Aru character in 100% Orange Juice, but that's it. My friend gave me Owlboy and Final Fantasy IX. I was able to get Alicemare as well.