An Underrated Game

A fishing RPG that's older than Harvest Moon. Current games include River King 1 (GB/3DS VC), River King 2 (GBC/3DS VC), River King Advanced (GBA), A Wonderful Journey (Ps2), and Mystic Valley (DS)
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mystic Valley is the only River King game I've played, but I really believe it's vastly underrated. The characters are super charming and have cool designs, the music is great, and the graphics are really cute. I also think the difficulty level is good–not too easy that it gets boring, but still quite relaxed.

I didn't quite finish the game when I first played it, but I want to start a new file and get back into it. I'm curious if any other Ushians gave this game a shot, because I don't see it being referenced anywhere.

If anyone is interested in playing it, I think it'd be fun to do a playthrough together. AKA, we eat start the game at the same time. Because otherwise I'll have no one to talk to about the game hahaha
so if you're interested in playing, or just open to chat about the game in general, let me know!
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've always been curious to try it out actually! I don't own it, but I've been considering buying a copy...
For anyone else who may be interested and lives in the EU btw, it's just called Harvest Fishing here??

There's one for the PS2 as well that looks kind of sweet. Like the reviews for both the PS2 and DS versions don't seem very good, but idk - I like how simple it seems!
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I definitely recommend it, clearly x) Cher has a great site for it, which is what originally convinced me to buy the game. The characters and pets are so awesome, and something about the atmosphere reminds me of Ghibli and InuYasha haha

Bad reviews? Strange, the only reviews I can find are usually 4/5. Like all of these on amazon uk. I could see someone thinking it was too simple, but I quite enjoyed it as a game to play before bed or when you want to unwind.
But that link was to the American version of the game, here's the EU version, also has good reviews.

The PS2 one looks cool too, the graphics seem really similar to AWL, which I love. I don't have a PS2 though, so I don't think I'll get to play it ): But it seems like a very charming game, and I love the site Cher did for it, so cute haha
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Omg. Your mention of Ghibli has swung it for me I'm gonna buy a copy.

And oh it's nice that there are good reviews!! I just did a quick google search and usually things like IGN are the reviews that come up first which are always pretty unreliable anyway lol.

I do have a PS2 but I think I'll go for the DS game! It seems like a game that's well suited for handhelds.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ohmygosh yay!! Ahhh I'm so excited, it's such a nice game. There's not lots of footage of it online, but here's the main theme. <3

You'll have to let me know when you start playing! : D
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It should arrive some time next week so I'll let you know!! The good thing about underrated games is that you can always find them pretty cheap heheh.

Aw the theme is so nice~ I'm excited to play! I'll try not to spoil too much for myself, but I'll have a wee look at Cher's page for it.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

The PSN version of the Ps2 game has a few oddities in it though. There's some glitches in the lake area where Nushie is that makes it hard to catch fish, which doesn't happen in the actual Ps2 version.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Interesting...Cher, are you able to see how much traffic each game page gets? I'd be curious to know (roughly) how often people look up River King info compared to HM titles. I always like reading about the games I don't have, which is how I ended up on the cutest page ever, the "Quiz Battle" section on the RK ps2 site. That animal art is adorable! I love the official natsume art style of that era, looks just like the AWL art.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

River King is basically next to nothing compared to the farming guides; less than 1000 hits per month.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I guess that's not a surprise, but it's too bad more people aren't playing. But at least Soapy and I will be using the guide :'D
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Heheh yep, expect a couple more hits every few days. B)

I really love how the art style is reminiscent of the older HM games because of the same artist working on the two games. I googled him and he seems to run an active blog! And posts little pieces of art sometimes, aw. Look at this Mayor Thomas. And some River King art! While he talks about buying a 3DS omg wow so long ago.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

*0* oh!! that is so cool, I love his art. lil thomas <333 I'm not sure how to navigate his blog to find more HM art though. I guess just under the games tag? sadly I don't see a harvest moon tag.

funny, I only got a 3ds at the end of 2014, so I still think of it as a very new thing xD and I still only have one game for it haha
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah I've just been blindly clicking around the games section. You can change the page number at the end of the link to go back in time quicker!

Aw! I feel like I've had my 3DS forever, but my DS still gets a lot of love too~
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's cool that he does doodles of some of the newer games, but I can't tell if he's still working on the team. I think he might have helped with SoS...? I dunno, I'm relying on google translate hahaha

I love my DS <333 I like the 3ds, but the new games are so expensive! And there's still some GBA and DS games I own that I haven't finished, so I like to go back to those. That's one of the reasons I want to replay River King in the first place, cause I always see it sitting by my DS but I didn't complete it!
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ahhh it arrived in the post today!! I can't wait to try it out!